Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » anyone done 4agze conversion in canberra?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
duongy
Regular

September 2003

anyone done 4agze conversion in canberra? Tue, 31 August 2004 06:58 Go to next message
hi guys

i was looking for someone who has done a 4agze conversion in canberra, i just wanted to know about engineers certificates and RWC, and anything like that

going to have my cousin in sydney install the engine into my ae93 seca, and i wanted to know exactly what was required by ACT RTA?

cheers, andrew

Send a private message to this user    
ke382TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: anyone done 4agze conversion in canberra? Wed, 01 September 2004 00:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Heaps of people from Canberra who frequent this forum have engine conversions the same/similar/very different to this.

My car was originally engineered as a 4AGZE (now a 4AGTE)

The most commonly used engineer to gain your certification from in Canberra is John Wilson (he is in the phone book and lives out near Burra or something I think he trades as KZ Engineering or something like that). A very reasonable guy. You will be looking at anywhere from about $600 - $770 for the certificate depending on what he is certifying.

He may or may not require you to perform a brake upgrade in order to pass (he will perform a brake test though so make sure they work well. I think his current test requires 10 stops from 100 km/hr which he does out at the old drag strip near the airport), this is something you should check with him as it varies depending on the car and engine being fitted.

Once John has passed it and provided you with all his documentation you then book yourself in for an inspection at the Dickson rego station. You will need to ring up and book in as they only have certain days on which they inspect modified cars. At the pits they will be checking the usual roadworthy stuff that they check on any car and will probably do another decibel test and the brake test on their roller thing. Make sure you take a COPY of your engineers certificate as the rego station will take that from you and keep the copy on record (no doubt they lose it or something though).

If you want to pass through smoothly make sure all your factory emissions gear is hooked up when the new engine is fitted e.g. crank case breather, carbon cannister, catalytic converter fitted etc. Make sure it looks neat (not bodgey) and you should have no probs.

Shane.
Azrael
Regular

September 2003
Re: anyone done 4agze conversion in canberra? Wed, 01 September 2004 02:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I just had my Celica engineered by John and regoed on Tuesday,
even though it was a 2t to 2tgeu upgrade the rego people demanded that it be engineered.

the brake test consisted of 6 stops from 100 km/h. Also some handling tests,

He may or may not look at your emmision gear. He didn't check mine which was good cause it wasn't there. (your call).

With the addition of a forced induction you can pretty much be assured you'd need to upgrade the brakes...
ke382TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: anyone done 4agze conversion in canberra? Wed, 01 September 2004 03:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Good to hear you are 2TG powered up!

I loved the roar of my old 2TG. It had to be engineered in my old wagon too, even after I spoke to one of the guys in tech standards who said it didn't, then when I fronted up to get the details changed they decided it needed an engineers certificate (and conveniently the tech standards guy was on holidays Mad ).

Quote:

He may or may not look at your emmision gear. He didn't check mine which was good cause it wasn't there. (your call).

He asked for it all to be fitted to my car but didn't check it. Like Azrael said, that's up to you on what you decide to do.

Quote:

With the addition of a forced induction you can pretty much be assured you'd need to upgrade the brakes...

You would be surprised on this one, my brother had John come around and look at his ute (Nissan 720) that is having a very trick 13BT fitted (will make over 500hp at the wheels) and the brakes were deemed ok to leave standard. A lot of it has to do with how crap the original brakes are and how much extra weight the conversion adds to the car.

Cheers.
wiso
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: anyone done 4agze conversion in canberra? Wed, 01 September 2004 03:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah he asked for my convo to have a brake upgrade, I had to do 10 consucutive 0-100km, then brake, man they were getting a bit spungy by the end I tell you, then had to do a handling test/lane change test, manouve these tight cones at 100km, Yeah same as shane he said to put all the emmisions gear in the car, but he asked if it was there and just went off my answer.

And even after getting the engineers cert the rta still didn't like my car, even though it passed (just) they kept saying "you shouldn't even be modifying your vehicle"

Maybe its just cause its a celica, they must have got a bad haircut once Laughing
ke382TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: anyone done 4agze conversion in canberra? Wed, 01 September 2004 04:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

Maybe its just cause its a celica, they must have got a bad haircut once

Hehehe good call.

Sometimes the rego guys are nice and reasonable other days some of them.....well.......... Rolling Eyes

When I took the 2TG powah wagon over the pits they went over the car with a fine tooth comb, I knew I was in for a painful time when the guy with the torch was looking in the engine bay for the engine block number and says "2T5678 etc" and the other guy writing it down says "2T, he is definitely going to have to have papers for that it's a 2 litre turbo!" Rolling Eyes Amazed at this call I tried to explain things and this spiralled into me having to get the mighty 2TG engineered.

Lesson learnt, some of them don't know shit (which can work with you or against you depending on what happens). In this case it worked against me.
duongy
Regular

September 2003

Re: anyone done 4agze conversion in canberra? Wed, 01 September 2004 13:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
great thanks a lot for that guys

my muffler at the moment is too loud, will fitting a silencer be enough to please the RTA, or do i need a new muffler altogether?

i'll go get the brakes done soon before the test, 10 stops @ 100km/h puts you off a bit though :S
stylez
Regular

October 2002

Re: anyone done 4agze conversion in canberra? Mon, 06 September 2004 12:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
suprising that you had to get the 2tg engineered Seb, i just took mine to bridgestone tyres and got the block number changed, wasn't even a full rego inspection, then took that to the rego office. does the EFI make that much difference?

Azrael
Regular

September 2003
Re: anyone done 4agze conversion in canberra? Tue, 07 September 2004 01:48 Go to previous message
Yeah I was surprised as well, I orginally took it into discount tyres in Phillip for a rego check. I argued that the GTV came out with a twin cam with everything else stock but they then changed there tack, carby to efi, it's modified. Dispite my efforts to point out that the twin side-drafts pump out more power than the efi they sent me to Dickson. The even crapper bit was the guy who did my second check at dickson after I got my engineeering papers looked at it and stated "2TG, those came out standard in a GT, why did you need to get it engineered?" where was he when I first got it looked at Mad Oh well at least got the 16" wheels engineered at the same time.

ps. will do a grand unveiling of the mighty Az at the bowling on Sunday - although I really need to polish up my bad spray painting Very Happy

::edit::

As it had no rego I couldn't just get the block details changed over, had to get a full roadworthy inspection done.

[Updated on: Tue, 07 September 2004 01:49]

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Exhaust pop
Next Topic:1g-gze ecu info
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon May 6 19:20:53 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0059349536895752 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.