Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
supra1jz
Regular

October 2003
MA61 Dash Swap Tue, 31 August 2004 10:10 Go to next message
Ok has anyone completed a dash swap for the ma61? My digital dash is fully stuffed and I'm going to try an ra60 dash. I did the search thing and its been mentioned but nobody has said they have completed the conversion. Any ideas or comments anyone???? Even problems that i may encounter. Thanks guys.
Rich
  Send a private message to this user    
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: MA61 Dash Swap Tue, 31 August 2004 10:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
im doing the same thing, so im also appreciative of same info.

Remember ra60/65/sa63 all have volt meters too, so i dunno how that works with the stock ma61 alternator
82MKII
Regular

July 2003
Re: MA61 Dash Swap Tue, 31 August 2004 10:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I haven't done a conversion, but I have a MA61 with a stock analogue dash and now know it rather well.
The fact it has a voltmeter in it makes no difference to the way you might wire it up. All dashes have +12 & ground wired into them anyway, and the voltmeter is just strung between them.

Regards

Peter
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: MA61 Dash Swap Tue, 31 August 2004 10:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what does your dash look like 82mk2?
joorsh
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: MA61 Dash Swap Tue, 31 August 2004 12:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sounds like a couple of people are having probs with the MA61 dash...
Should I be aware of any known issues? I was told once that they have a tendancy to "cut out" sometimes and black out, and I'm told that the fix for this is a secondary earth cable. Dunno if that helps you guys at all...?

I am also getting pretty sick and tired of all the flashing LED's - I wouldn't mind an analogue dash either. I do like the digital speedo reading though...

Keep us all informed about dash conversions please!

-J-
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: MA61 Dash Swap Tue, 31 August 2004 12:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ask ed about this.... he tried to convert an ma63 dash to an ma61.... not a straight swap in, all the plugs are different.

not necessarily a secondary earth cable josh... just a decent one (0 gauge... which I happen to have some of)
joorsh
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: MA61 Dash Swap Tue, 31 August 2004 12:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Whatever smarty pants Razz

More earth was the jyst of it.

-J-
82MKII
Regular

July 2003
Re: MA61 Dash Swap Tue, 31 August 2004 13:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
V8_MA61 - my dash is identical to a RA60 dash except I have an oil pressure gauge rather than a light.

Regards

Peter
joorsh
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: MA61 Dash Swap Tue, 31 August 2004 13:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Are you able to post any piks here for us?

-J-
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: MA61 Dash Swap Tue, 31 August 2004 13:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
82MKII wrote on Tue, 31 August 2004 23:02

V8_MA61 - my dash is identical to a RA60 dash except I have an oil pressure gauge rather than a light.

Regards

Peter

lucky bastard! Thats EXACTLY what i wanted. But instead i got an sa63 one and a speco oil pressure gauge
82MKII
Regular

July 2003
Re: MA61 Dash Swap Tue, 31 August 2004 13:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok -seeing as you asked so nicely Smile
Top is my original MA61 cluster. Note one of the previous owners had done the tacky job of hand-painting out the old scale & sticking on the km/h scale. The odo is also in miles.
Bottom is the RA60 cluster.
The cluster in my car now is the same as the top one but with the speedo looking the same as the RA60 cluster (ie I managed to find one that read km/h from the factory).
There is an identical cluster to the one I have now at one of the local wreckers (bt I already have a spare).
I'm thinking when the 1J goes in I might convert the oil p gauge into a boost gauge & add an oil p light at the bottom of the cluster.
http://home.iprimus.com.au/phay/IMG_0095.JPG
Regards

Peter
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: MA61 Dash Swap Tue, 31 August 2004 13:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ahh its ok then, i need one that reads actual oil pressure properly..as my motor isnt your typical toyota Smile

Still woulda liked to own one Sad *sigh*
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: MA61 Dash Swap Tue, 31 August 2004 14:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
*shudders*

what an asshole of a job it is swapping from ma61 digi dash to ma63 analogue dash. ask micheal, hes in the middle of it too. not terrible, just a PITA.

question, on the toyota tachs, they have three pins, looks like this:

X

X

X

anyone know which one is the batt, earth, and tach signal pin? the pin layout seems pretty standard accross the toyota range, anyone know?

oh, and fwiw, my dash dies completely after driving with the lights or heater on for about an hour or so. like theres a dry solder joint in there that is responsive to current, or system voltage level. sometimes when really playing up, the whole dash blinks on and off with the blinkers
Stefan
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: MA61 Dash Swap Tue, 31 August 2004 14:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Idiot lights instead of oil pressure guages arn't optimal. I want an 5mge dash for direct swap into my ra65 when i do the 1g thing.
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: MA61 Dash Swap Tue, 31 August 2004 14:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
82MKII wrote on Tue, 31 August 2004 18:41

The fact it has a voltmeter in it makes no difference to the way you might wire it up. All dashes have +12 & ground wired into them anyway, and the voltmeter is just strung between them.

Regards

Peter

Not entirely

Kev put a 5mge into his 5me (with digi dash) and his charge light has become an 'everything is ok' light.
The light has become a volt meter, the brighter it is, the more volts he has.

There is something different in the alternator. (ie, his 5m-e alternator plug plugged straight in)

I'm pretty sure this is what he encountered anyway.
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: MA61 Dash Swap Tue, 31 August 2004 15:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just looking at the ma61 wiring diagram, And the 3 pin plug looks as if its for the "fuel scale change" indicator?

The only other thing shown as it, is the speedo change scale (not applicable in AUS - from kph to mph)

Can someone confirm? I have no idea why the sa63 analogue also has it thats all Confused
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: MA61 Dash Swap Tue, 31 August 2004 21:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ed_ma61 wrote on Wed, 01 September 2004 00:25

*shudders*

what an asshole of a job it is swapping from ma61 digi dash to ma63 analogue dash. ask micheal, hes in the middle of it too. not terrible, just a PITA.

Hmmmmm. Shudders also. Yes I am contemplating this as my speedo intermittently reads zero.

"Honestly officer, I wasn't speeding"

It is basically going to be a job of physically tracing each wire on both dashes, consulting wiring diagrams, and then a bit of suck and see to get the connections right.

Thiong to note for those using a RA60 dash, the tacho is for a 4cyl, not a 6.

My dash is from a Singaporean MA61 (coutesy of JCMF Very Happy )
supra1jz
Regular

October 2003
Re: MA61 Dash Swap Tue, 31 August 2004 23:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Now that everyone has commented on it can we get down to the nitty gritty? Can the tacho be made to work and what about fuel gauge sender does that need to be changed? Also the water temp. sender can the supra one be used? I take it the tacho can be made to run six cylinder instead of four can't it? Norbie, Ed, Baacchy one of you guys must know!
Rich
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: MA61 Dash Swap Tue, 31 August 2004 23:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
supra1jz wrote on Wed, 01 September 2004 09:25

Now that everyone has commented on it can we get down to the nitty gritty?

Hi Rich,

Don't count on me if you are in a hurry. Rolling Eyes

It is a side project that will keep me occumpied when I am waiting for other things to get done.

I will do my best to help, but you are welcome to come over and do it for me. Might even give you a beer whilst you are doing it Very Happy
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: MA61 Dash Swap Tue, 31 August 2004 23:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The hassle isn't so much the outputs of the sensors etc. The tacho isn't a very complicated thing to wire up. The root of the problem is that even though essentially the wires are all there, the plugs are massively different.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: MA61 Dash Swap Tue, 31 August 2004 23:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tacho can be made to work with the use of a signal converter (speak to Grant from SixWorks about this). Temp gauge is universal, no need to change the sender. I can't see any reason why the fuel gauge wouldn't work as is.
joorsh
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: MA61 Dash Swap Tue, 31 August 2004 23:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ED, that sounds like the problem I've heard a few people talk about with their MA61 dash's. Try beefing up your earth lead, or strapping on a second earth lead.

-J-
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: MA61 Dash Swap Tue, 31 August 2004 23:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
justcallmefrank wrote on Wed, 01 September 2004 09:43

The hassle isn't so much the outputs of the sensors etc. The tacho isn't a very complicated thing to wire up. The root of the problem is that even though essentially the wires are all there, the plugs are massively different.

To try and help the swap, I have grabbed two sets of RA6x connctors so that I can splice into/swap wires.

3 of the connectors are the same style, but as Nathan pointed out, there is one major one different, and the wires go to different locations.

Hard - No.

PITA - You bet !! (especially for a non-electrical person !!!!)
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: MA61 Dash Swap Tue, 31 August 2004 23:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://www.users.on.net/~hydra/cars/celixx/images/ supra09.jpg

Thats the dash you guys want Razz

Too bad it's on my celica xx...
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: MA61 Dash Swap Wed, 01 September 2004 01:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thats the dash michael and i have (though i have a boost gauage, not a volt gauge!)
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: MA61 Dash Swap Wed, 01 September 2004 01:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I love analogue instrument clusters... they look so cool!
Evil_Foetus
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: MA61 Dash Swap Wed, 01 September 2004 05:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
stock boost gauges are cool Evil or Very Mad
i want one

maybe i should get a new engine first Laughing
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: MA61 Dash Swap Wed, 01 September 2004 05:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I was considering doing an analog dash swap... until I realised the speedo only goes up to 220. Weak! Razz
ViPeR_NiPPleX
Forums Junkie

July 2003
Re: MA61 Dash Swap Wed, 01 September 2004 05:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wow, the celica xx tacho goes out to nine, very interesting indeed! I'll have to keep an eye out for one...
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: MA61 Dash Swap Wed, 01 September 2004 05:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hah, mine only goes to 180... damn.

See that little black square at 180? That seems to trigger the speed limiter.... *snip*
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: MA61 Dash Swap Wed, 01 September 2004 06:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ViPeR_NiPPleX wrote on Wed, 01 September 2004 13:34

wow, the celica xx tacho goes out to nine, very interesting indeed! I'll have to keep an eye out for one...

Yeah, its for the 1geu (or maybe 1ggeu)
7mgte83
Regular

January 2003
Re: MA61 Dash Swap Wed, 01 September 2004 07:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

The 1g's are revvy little things, that dash would be no good for a 7m though seeing the limiter is at 6800.

Hydra, were you the one driving behind me on that cruise through chain of ponds a while back?

as James could tell you my digi dash was also possesed by satan and did the whole flashy thing when I loaded up the power. I figured it looked like an earthing problem so I pulled out the dash, connected a wire to the black wire on the main plug and screwed it straight into the metal bracing and bingo, problem solvered. as mentioned before in this thread it's just a poor earth.

don't expect all sensors to be compatible, the 7m temp sensor doesn't calibrate with the 5m gauge in my car.
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: MA61 Dash Swap Wed, 01 September 2004 07:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
V8_MA61 wrote on Wed, 01 September 2004 01:10

Just looking at the ma61 wiring diagram, And the 3 pin plug looks as if its for the "fuel scale change" indicator?

The only other thing shown as it, is the speedo change scale (not applicable in AUS - from kph to mph)

Can someone confirm? I have no idea why the sa63 analogue also has it thats all Confused

Someone? Confused
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: MA61 Dash Swap Wed, 01 September 2004 07:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
7mgte83 wrote on Wed, 01 September 2004 15:03

don't expect all sensors to be compatible, the 7m temp sensor doesn't calibrate with the 5m gauge in my car.

I would expect it to be compatible.
The 1uz temp sensor is compatible with the 5m guage in my car.

I would be very surprised if it changed from the 70's to mid/late 90's, if it has even changed.

I'd check your wiring.

I'm pretty sure Blacksupras 2jzge is the same, unless he swapped the sensor over from a 5m-e.
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: MA61 Dash Swap Wed, 01 September 2004 07:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
7mgte83, probably... you pulled over to let me past right? Smile That was with the 1G-GE too....

I would too have thought a lot of temp sensors would be the same... there's usually two isnt there? One for the ecu to watch over, the other simply for the gauge?
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: MA61 Dash Swap Wed, 01 September 2004 07:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
HyDrA wrote on Wed, 01 September 2004 15:12

7mgte83, probably... you pulled over to let me past right? Smile That was with the 1G-GE too....

I would too have thought a lot of temp sensors would be the same... there's usually two isnt there? One for the ecu to watch over, the other simply for the gauge?

3, one for the ecu, one for the guage, and one for the CSI.
BlackSupra
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: MA61 Dash Swap Wed, 01 September 2004 09:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
In reply to rich earlier on....

Take one water temp sender and connect to corresponding wire on back of dash. It works fine as mentioned above.

Fuel level? you don't even touch these wires during a conversion.

Speedo, don't need to worry if you keep the stock gearbox.

Tacho, toughie with a 1jz apparently jag7799 has his working, my 2jzge just required the negative off the coil wired to corresponding wire rom the dash.

Very simple stuff ladies.

And for those that ask questions.....

http://www.cygnusx1.net/supra/library/TSRM_MKII/be/BE_028.gif

http://www.cygnusx1.net/supra/library/TSRM_MKII/be/BE_033.gif

http://www.cygnusx1.net/supra/library/TSRM_MKII/be/BE_034.gif

http://www.cygnusx1.net/supra/library/TSRM_MKII/be/BE_036.gif

That should about do it. Laughing
Cyber-punk
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: MA61 Dash Swap Wed, 01 September 2004 11:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I want an analogue dash with the trip computer
like that bloke off celicasupra.com

that'd be cool
i wonder why no one optioned it? Sad
was it even available to aussie's?
seems like it was a rare option in the USA\Canada
7mgte83
Regular

January 2003
Re: MA61 Dash Swap Wed, 01 September 2004 11:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
so you reckon it's my wiring and not the sender? the bar starts from the centre of the gauge when it's cold instead of the bottom.

Hydra, yeah my shocks are rooted and I was having some sideways fun so I didn't want to hold you up.
BlackSupra
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: MA61 Dash Swap Wed, 01 September 2004 11:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It will be wired up wrong.

BTW, when i wired mine up the schematic is actually wrong (for my car at least) for the temp signal wire.

I'll see if i can find my scribblings.
BlackSupra
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: MA61 Dash Swap Wed, 01 September 2004 11:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Refer to picture 3
"17 pin terminal connector"

Pin number 2 is the temp signal.

Find your stock one and wire it straight up.
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: MA61 Dash Swap Wed, 01 September 2004 22:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Glen,

What TSRM are those pics out of ? MA61 ?

Cheers

Michael B
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: MA61 Dash Swap Wed, 01 September 2004 22:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah my 2JZ-GTE temp sensor works perfectly with the MA61 temp gauge. Unfortunately the tacho wasn't a simple case of hooking it up to the ignition coil, since GTE's have coil-on-plug ignition; I have to use the tacho signal from the ECU, and that only works with a magic box courtesy of Grant from SixWorks. It will be necessary to do the same thing with a 1JZ-GTE conversion.
lumpy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: MA61 Dash Swap Wed, 01 September 2004 23:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Not ma61 related...but probably very similar,

I had an analogue dash in the ma70, and in the jza70r halfcut. We took both tacho's out and built 1 from both, using the ma70 needle and mechanism and jza70 backing plate. Had to swap a little "daughter board" over from the jza70 tacho mechanism over to the ma70 one (simple plug-in job) to get it to work. I noted the difference between daughter boards down somewhere (but have probably lost it now!). I believe it adapts the signal from the coil-pack ignition to a standard input for the tacho mechanism. If you can find a jza70 analogue dash, complete with tacho you'll see what I'm on about.
supra1jz
Regular

October 2003
Re: MA61 Dash Swap Thu, 02 September 2004 03:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Black Supra all that info is much appreciated thanks for providing it! I'll see how I go with it.
Rich
BlackSupra
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: MA61 Dash Swap Thu, 02 September 2004 13:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bbaacchhyy wrote on Thu, 02 September 2004 08:21

Glen,

Cheers

Michael B

Ma61 TSRM, you just gotta know where to look

body electrical -> instruments
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: MA61 Dash Swap Thu, 02 September 2004 21:47 Go to previous message
BlackSupra wrote on Thu, 02 September 2004 23:20

bbaacchhyy wrote on Thu, 02 September 2004 08:21

Glen,

Cheers

Michael B

Ma61 TSRM, you just gotta know where to look

body electrical -> instruments

I have had the sheets out before, but for some reason they looked a little different.

Maybe it is our 2 year old alarm clock* that is keeping irregular hours that is causing some of the problem Rolling Eyes

* child for those that don't understand the obscure reference
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:100kw bottom end swap
Next Topic:can you explain my diff Phenomena
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 23:17:39 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0098519325256348 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.