Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Intercooler piping Tue, 31 August 2004 12:37 Go to next message
Ok there has been small discussions about this in the past but nothing really came from them.
What are peoples thoughts about the material to use for intercooler piping? Alloy or stainless?
Pros Cons?

Thanks
  Send a private message to this user    
Siktoy ra23
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Intercooler piping Tue, 31 August 2004 12:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Alloy is cooler than stainless
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Intercooler piping Tue, 31 August 2004 13:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cooler as in temp or cooler as in bling bling Wink
joorsh
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: Intercooler piping Tue, 31 August 2004 13:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thermo wrapped aluminium is da bomb. Or thermo wrapped titanium if you can afford it.

I was quoted for a full pipes setup for Draven car - 3 inch piping for the cooler, all silicone hoses, $600. Entire kit weighs 580 grams Shocked

you'd prolly wanna wrap it though, cause it's thin walled aluminium so it'd get a bit of heat soak from the engine bay.

-J-
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Intercooler piping Tue, 31 August 2004 13:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
or hpc coat it Smile
joorsh
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: Intercooler piping Tue, 31 August 2004 13:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Your shout? Smile
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Intercooler piping Tue, 31 August 2004 13:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
So alloy seems to be the trick? What wall thickness is recommended?
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Intercooler piping Tue, 31 August 2004 23:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mild steel with HPC coating is the way to go IMO, if you're not made of money that is. I did this on the poopra and it's extremely effective without costing an arm and a leg.
joorsh
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: Intercooler piping Tue, 31 August 2004 23:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Isn't HPC coating pricey? If it's not, then I might have to go get it done! Stupid 7M and it's stupid cooler piping going over the block and turbo Mad
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Intercooler piping Tue, 31 August 2004 23:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It ain't cheap but you get what you pay for. If your inlet piping is going near hot things I especially recommend HPC coating! Aluminium alloy seems like a bad idea since it conducts heat even better than steel...
joorsh
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: Intercooler piping Tue, 31 August 2004 23:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I definitely wouldn't recommend an alloy unless you wrapped it (or HPC coated it).

In my case yes, my inlet piping goes near hot things. I was going to go for the thermo wrap option cause it's a whole lot less of a pain in the arse. You can thermo wrap it while it's still attached, and it doesn't cost the earth. Need to pull the whole schmozzle out to get it HPC coated, and it's more expensive by the sound of things Sad

Ballpark figure for HPC coating? Full intercooler piping cost you $100, $1000?

-J-

[Updated on: Tue, 31 August 2004 23:57]

HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Intercooler piping Wed, 01 September 2004 00:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I got my intercooler piping bent up for $200 in 2" stainless Smile 4 pieces of mandrel bent pipe... one hole in my chassis Razz

Just ask around a bit... I found a lot of places didn't want to know about intercooler piping, until I talked AAA Exhausts into it Smile
kingmick
Forums Junkie

Banned by his request

July 2002
Re: Intercooler piping Wed, 01 September 2004 00:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lol once again i find that people that have nothing to do with anything car related say alloy isnt the way to go when the fastest cars in the australia and the world use alloy for the intake plumbing. ok to put it finally to rest i will give you the phone number and i will pre warn joe that people that think alloy isnt the go are going to come and see him and say the 300k you wasted on being the fastest sport compact in the world is wasted buy using alloy ntake piping. ill give you the address but you must pm me and tell me when you are going so i can be there! so what you are saying that every turbo lemans car and F! car and indy car that would be well over 10 billion dollars combined you could have told them not to use alloy and just use stainless or mild steel! come on guys! do a search and listern to people that know not 16 year old kids that are lucky to do the easy work on there car let alone have any knowledge on deveolpment over the last 20 years. my best advice! if you listern to what most people write on this forum,an F1 car would be using 10 litre v12 engines that make 15ohp and had 5 inch wide tires, so listern to the actual people that have a little idea around here.

alloy is the way to go if you can afford it. no you dont have to wrap it or coat it if you dont have the money but it helps a little(racing every little bit helps) unless you have a huge budget, but then you wouldnt be asking you would be telling your mechanic! how many of you fantasy people pay $380 per valve! oh none geeze thats hard to believe, cause your telling people alloy is only good if you wrap it or jet coat it!how many of you have seen 1000hp from the wheels fom 2.3litres? pull your heads in if you dont know, and stop giving people shit advice. HyDrA alloy is the way to go! pm me and ill explain why and were you can get it cheaper.
mick

[Updated on: Wed, 01 September 2004 00:54]

kingmick
Forums Junkie

Banned by his request

July 2002
Re: Intercooler piping Wed, 01 September 2004 01:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ment to add! joorsh titanium, mate get a life. tell me who on the planet is using titaniam mandrel bent intake on a car worth less than a million dollars. haha ived used sheets of titanium for undertrays but titanium is very hard to weld and expensive to weld. it needs a closed enviroment to do it. a set of titanium rods are around the $5000 mark and they are forged with a machine can you imagine the cost of doing you piping with it!
i can get titanium mufflers for $800 so intercooler pluming would cost arount the $5-7k mark. i suppose if your going to dream, dream big!lol
mick

Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Intercooler piping Wed, 01 September 2004 01:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes, anyone who doesn't use uber-expensive materials like they do in F1 is obviously a 16 year old kid who knows nothing about cars. Rolling Eyes

For those of us who live in the real world, mild steel works fine. Sure it's heavier, but we're talking 1-2kg here; I'd rather spend the extra money elsewhere.
ke382TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Intercooler piping Wed, 01 September 2004 01:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I run aluminium pipe work (not coated) on my car from filter to turbo to cooler to throttle body (so the whole lot).

Just about got another car back together which is essentially the same as mine but with all mild steel pipe work (used due to cost and ease of manufacture in the garage at home). Once it's running I will do some comparisons in air temps at various points along the inlet tract.

You can't beat the bling value of some polished aluminium pipes though Smile

I doubt most people on here would notice gains/losses either way using one material or another. I think the cost and ease of fabrication usually establishes what most people go with.

I know sweet FA about the technicalities of anything, I just know about things I have tried, and will only comment as such.

I do enjoy reading these posts though when good info is forthcoming.

Cheers.

I hope this stays informative and doesn't degrade into trash talk.
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Intercooler piping Wed, 01 September 2004 01:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Agreed Norbie!

I used stainless because it was easier, and cheaper for the exhaust shop, and thus cheaper for me. They couldn't paint it in house. They did give the outside a coat of paint though, which made the whole setup much sexier. They even lipped all the pipes!

kingmick, I don't need alloy intercooler piping... i'm not after a dyno queen, I think the money I saved will be better put to use getting my ARC intercooler cleaned up (thanks bbaacchhyy! i cant wait to try it out...)
kingmick
Forums Junkie

Banned by his request

July 2002
Re: Intercooler piping Wed, 01 September 2004 01:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
norbie alloy isnt expenssive anymore. a 90deg 2.5 inch is about 35 dollars which is the same as most people used to pay for stainless. lol they have been using it for 20 years so its bound to get cheaper:)
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: Intercooler piping Wed, 01 September 2004 01:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ke382TG wrote on Wed, 01 September 2004 11:44

You can't beat the bling value of some polished aluminium pipes though Smile

I doubt most people on here would notice gains/losses either way using one material or another. I think the cost and ease of fabrication usually establishes what most people go with.

The reality is that alloy is good for bling as it can be polished and can be lighter than S/S and mild steel.

As for heat conductance.

Think about heatsoak under your bonnet for a moment and after about 10 minutes driving, it won't matter a zack. Don't belive me ? get the car running for a bit and then climb in under the hood and close it and see what it feels like Razz

Just because someone used it on a 100000 hp car doesn't mean anything. Rolling Eyes

The two points above that I have hightlighted, and Norbs last comment sum it up basically.

Go with what you can afford and what you like the look of. Cool

I defy anyone to prove, that in the REAL world, the gains for the AVERAGE car (like most here) will not notice the difference.

Q.E.D. Twisted Evil

Personally, mine is a mixture of S/S, Mild steel and connectors. Why ? 'Cos that is how it came, I'm adding in some mandrel S/S bends (cos the supplier that I go to doesn't do mild steel and I don't need bling) to adapt it from fitting a MZ20 to MA61.
kingmick
Forums Junkie

Banned by his request

July 2002
Re: Intercooler piping Wed, 01 September 2004 02:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well said ke382tg!well said. the only plus side of alloy is that its much cheaper now and ir weighs less and workes better!for day to day you prob wont notice a diffrence but track days like sprints or full field you will. the little diffrences add up, but to do it the cheapest it possable can you would go exhaust pipe etc and there would be little to gain but you also have to think of rust inside the pipe going into the engine etc. if i had a limited budget and skill i would go, steam pipe turbo manifold and exhaust pipe inlet plumbing. for day to day it will work well but you miss out on the horsepower gains. horsepower gains once you hit a point with an engine cost a huge amount of money to get 10 or 20 hp. the question was what is best for the job etc and alloy is affordable now, its taken 20 years to get to this point but now its the go.
mick
ke382TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Intercooler piping Wed, 01 September 2004 02:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

ke382TG wrote on Wed, 01 September 2004 11:44

You can't beat the bling value of some polished aluminium pipes though

I doubt most people on here would notice gains/losses (Edit: I should have said however insignificantly small) either way using one material or another. I think the cost and ease of fabrication usually establishes what most people go with.

bbaacchhyy wrote:
The reality is that alloy is good for bling as it can be polished and can be lighter than S/S and mild steel.

As for heat conductance.

Think about heatsoak under your bonnet for a moment and after about 10 minutes driving, it won't matter a zack. Don't belive me ? get the car running for a bit and then climb in under the hood and close it and see what it feels like

I don't know if you took what you quoted me on out of context but, it was meant to mean that the minute differences in the use of different materials for piping would not be noticed by the likes of you or I Smile

As for heat soak, I am well aware of how hot an engine bay gets etc etc, I think what people are discussing is this heat soak and how different pipe materials transfer this heat into the air travelling through the pipes (at least this is what I was hoping the discussion was going to get into Rolling Eyes )

That is why some were earlier talking about coating and wrapping pipes to minimise potential heat soak from being transferred into the inlet air inside the pipes.

Cheers.

Edit: my quote inside a quote didn't work properly, oh well.

[Updated on: Wed, 01 September 2004 02:38]

HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Intercooler piping Wed, 01 September 2004 02:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My alter ego is a bit geeky, it knows a bit about overclocking and materials used for heatsinks...

Aluminium is used because it is a great conductor of heat... and it can disperse heat into the air really well too. Steel however isn't good at all... it's terrible in fact.

For short runs, perhaps on a dyno or on the drag strip, aluminium would probably be alright since it kinda suites the scenario. Stainless however would be better in the hills where you are always changing speeds, and not always getting good airflow under the bonnet to help remove heat... but thats why we use intercoolers, which see much higher airflow.

I'll take a gamble and say stainless pipe work, aluminium intercooler.
kingmick
Forums Junkie

Banned by his request

July 2002
Re: Intercooler piping Wed, 01 September 2004 02:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bbaacchhyy not meaning to be rude but im guessing 18 and on your first car! to put what you said into the real world of cars and not text booking!a race car when it finishes a race it does a cool down lap! when you a racing or driving hard on the street everything gets hot ,but the under bonnet still has air flowing through it. so on the slower part of you street driving or racing the under bonnet temps lower. and the lighter something is the qicker it cools. things that heat soak are heavy like cast iron and billet steel and they take longer to come up to temp but take longer to cool. a little material heats quicker but also cools alot quicker so when you are going slower which is most of the time as even a race car goin flat strap around the track only has full throttle for about 35% of the whole lap or there abouts there is cool air rushing past the piping! how many stainless steel or steel radiator or intercoolers have you seen? theres a good reason for that. im just glad its this way otherwise my rolla would be 4 ton with lead intercooler etc.
mick

Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: Intercooler piping Wed, 01 September 2004 02:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kingmick: I think more people would be listening to you if you used some punctuation as what you have typed is very hard to read.

for interests sake: I have mild steel that is painted and will be heat wrapped as I am a poor ass uni student Smile Seems to do the job Smile
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Intercooler piping Wed, 01 September 2004 02:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kingmick wrote on Wed, 01 September 2004 11:47

bbaacchhyy not meaning to be rude but im guessing 18 and on your first car!

Laughing

Chris Davey is right... you need to go back to school Smile Thats if you aren't already there, and just wasting the schools money!

I stand by my previous logic... stainless or even mild pipe work, aluminium cooler.
kingmick
Forums Junkie

Banned by his request

July 2002
Re: Intercooler piping Wed, 01 September 2004 02:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
good thoughts HyDrA but its the same dyno,drag,circuit or hills(im not much into dyno or drags)but its all the same!on a hill you are using max load with lower speed ! so it is even more crucial that you use a material that gets rid of its heat quicker, so the lttle air that does cool it works as well as possable. my cooler core are acid dipped to an inch of there life so they can take 65 psi of pressure(no i dont use 650psi but it gives a saftey margin) and are as light and have a big surface area(hence why they are never straight up and down, even in my road cars)
!lmao like a skiny girl and a fat one. you can hammer away at a skinny girl and she will be ready before the next round, but a fat girl will need to get her breath back!sorry made me laugh

bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: Intercooler piping Wed, 01 September 2004 02:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kingmick wrote on Wed, 01 September 2004 12:17

bbaacchhyy not meaning to be rude but im guessing 18 and on your first car! to put what you said into the real world of cars and not text booking!a race car when it finishes a race it does a cool down lap! when you a racing or driving hard on the street everything gets hot ,but the under bonnet still has air flowing through it. so on the slower part of you street driving or racing the under bonnet temps lower. and the lighter something is the qicker it cools. things that heat soak are heavy like cast iron and billet steel and they take longer to come up to temp but take longer to cool. a little material heats quicker but also cools alot quicker so when you are going slower which is most of the time as even a race car goin flat strap around the track only has full throttle for about 35% of the whole lap or there abouts there is cool air rushing past the piping! how many stainless steel or steel radiator or intercoolers have you seen? theres a good reason for that. im just glad its this way otherwise my rolla would be 4 ton with lead intercooler etc.
mick

Oh dear. Can't be bothered separating out the issues here so I'll reply in one.

No. 36 and at least 3 cars and 4 motorbikes (not a huge amount, but still, none were std.) Airframe fitter by trade, Ass Dip in Aerospace Engineering, BTech in Mechanical & Manufacturing Engineering, Grad Dip in Manufacturing Management, employed as Senior Manufacturing Engineer at GMH.

So what about a cool down lap ?

Yes, the lighter something is the quicker it cools, but the rate depends on the material, shape, environment, temperature differential, and thermal characteristics of the surrounding environment.

Been racing, and I was at FT more than 35% of the time. Try about 70 to 80%. 13B J Port RX2 Improved production race car.

At no point did I say that steel should be used for cooling such as a radiator etc.

I merely pointed out that for the AVERAGE car in the real world, the difference would be minimal. No where did I say that alloy was no good. Rolling Eyes Due to the higher thermal loads in racing, once the air gets past the radiator/IC/oil cooler it is HOT !! The reason for radiators etc. Hence the heat in the engine bay is lots. No cool air in there !!! Don't beleive, as I said before, climb under the bonnet and see. Or if that is too hard, just stick a thermocouple under there

Sigh. Thats enough for now.

Oh, and next time, use punctuation to make it easier to read. Please.
indian
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: Intercooler piping Wed, 01 September 2004 02:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
FFS GO TO BUNNINGS BUY SOME DRAIN PIPE AND BENDS IN 3 INCH AD PUT THEM TOGETR WITH PLASTIC SEALENT ,

ALL ONE FOR LESS THAN 75 BUCKS

LOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
kingmick
Forums Junkie

Banned by his request

July 2002
Re: Intercooler piping Wed, 01 September 2004 02:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if you race IP then you must use carbie or dont have data logging, because i would bet a national car against yours that you could never ever race a circuit unless its oval at 70% unless you are way under powered for handling. god if we use 2 litres per km at most tracks at 70% WOT we would use 5+ litre per km! as i said no offence ment. a rotary uses a bit more WOT because power comes on later than noraml engine but no were near 70% unless its a standard engine in a good handling IP car. 70% would mean in a full feild race of 5 laps you would use close to 50 liters. instead of 25-30 in a rotary.

SORRY about the punctuation and typos i type as quick as i can with my two fingers and no i dont have 6 on each hand!and i cant be bothered speel checking or looking at grammar
!
mick
kingmick
Forums Junkie

Banned by his request

July 2002
Re: Intercooler piping Wed, 01 September 2004 02:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lol! use the materials that are in your budget and that you can use if you want to have a go yourself! even plastic drain pipe will work just make sure you use the solvent and the glue!Smile
if you can afford to use alloy use it if not use what you can afford, then change it later. on a standard engine there isnt much diffrence between them!
mick
p.s debate brings ideas and ideas are what push us forward!
imagine this forum 100 years ago!

henry ford! look i can build a 100 cars a month if i put them on production line.

steam engine weapon! no hand built is always going to be quicker.

[Updated on: Wed, 01 September 2004 03:02]

HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Intercooler piping Wed, 01 September 2004 03:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Maybe you should sit down, think, and as a result type less sh!t and more useful information... as well as making sense.

I'm sure you have something good to say, but after reading a few of your posts my head is starting to hurt. Please try harder!

[Updated on: Wed, 01 September 2004 03:08]

Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Intercooler piping Wed, 01 September 2004 03:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mine are mild steel that are just painted black in engine enamel.. and they work fine...not saying that other stuff isn't better though
kingmick
Forums Junkie

Banned by his request

July 2002
Re: Intercooler piping Wed, 01 September 2004 03:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lol which one!the left or right head.
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Intercooler piping Wed, 01 September 2004 03:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Razz

Hydra jokes are so funny Rolling Eyes
ke382TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Intercooler piping Wed, 01 September 2004 03:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Play nice fellas Confused

Don't underestimate the plumbing pipe!!

I am sure my orange cannons have seen some serious psi inside them and not one has busted hehehehe. Thermal conduction from the combustion inside the chamber passing through the plastic into my hand is low too Shocked Laughing

[Updated on: Wed, 01 September 2004 03:26]

7mgte83
Regular

January 2003
Re: Intercooler piping Wed, 01 September 2004 07:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey Bbaacchhy, did I ever piss myself when I read the 16yr old kid comment. kingmick hacked into me something like a year ago when I was new to the forum and described me as a pimply faced kid crying because I nearly crashed my car and said he was going to beat me up. Now at least there are some people on the forum who have met me and know how absurd this is.

Mick my good man, I don't doubt that you have some experience in some of these area's, but dude, get some fucking social skills.

and a bit more on topic, hydra where did you run your piping?

HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Intercooler piping Wed, 01 September 2004 07:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Right, I hope I can find some pics...

Basically I have one pipe going through the right hand wheel well, the other ducks under the radiator. I'll post pics once I find them.

Alainve
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: Intercooler piping Wed, 01 September 2004 09:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mild steel is the best material for barbeque plates.
-disperses heat evenly, hard wearing generally non toxic

Stainless is shit for barbeque plates.
- poor conductor of heat needs massive burners to heat evenly without cold spots. harder wearing than mild steel but is heavier and some grades are toxic

Aluminium is also shithouse for barbeque plates.
- altho the best dispersion of heat for even cooking also has downsides of very soft so plastic utensils should be used to avoid shavings in your sausages and has also been linked to alzheimers disease.

in the end stop arguing like biatches over small things and think about your sausages
mx83toy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Intercooler piping Wed, 01 September 2004 11:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hhmmm which intercooler cooks my sausages evenly???? Laughing i agree... my pipes are Stainless and i'm sure that if i swap em to alloy the differences will be a complete waste of time...if i was to make em up again id prolly go with alloy cause they look nice but yeah i wouldnt go replacing the ones i have for alloy for such gains.. cool topic though interesting read, can be usfull to some people...
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Intercooler piping Wed, 01 September 2004 11:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Holy shit this thread took off Shocked

Norbie, you think stainless will achieve the same results as the mild steel once its HPC? For me stainless is more convenient than mild steel because I don't have to get it coated right and not worry about it rusting, plus I can get access to stainless cheap.
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: Intercooler piping Wed, 01 September 2004 21:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
7mgte83 wrote on Wed, 01 September 2004 17:42

Hey Bbaacchhy, did I ever piss myself when I read the 16yr old kid comment.

Yes, he was strangley silent on the technical points after I pointed out a few things Rolling Eyes

Shane, The results after HPC should be virtually identical. I'm not getting mine HPC'd yet, as I have spent too much already Shocked, but will probably get done later.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Intercooler piping Wed, 01 September 2004 23:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Heheh funny how we haven't seen his list of credentials yet. Laughing

Yes, the material the pipe is constructed from (mild steel/SS/alloy) will make SFA difference once it's coated, which is the point I was trying to make from the beginning - why spend the extra $$$ on fancy stuff like alloy? This is precisely why I chose mild steel, it's cheap and any exhaust shop knows how to use it. Of course if you prefer to use SS that will work fine as well. Smile

[Updated on: Wed, 01 September 2004 23:10]

Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Intercooler piping Wed, 01 September 2004 23:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Great stuff. Ok now what wall thickness is preferred?
Bugman
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Intercooler piping Wed, 01 September 2004 23:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
umm.. street car, definatly use mild steel if you dont wanna spend heaps.

it is only piping and you will notice fuck all difference with different materials.
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Intercooler piping Wed, 01 September 2004 23:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I only wanted to use stainless cause I can get it cheaper than mild steel.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Intercooler piping Wed, 01 September 2004 23:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Intercooler piping doesn't need any real strength and corrosion won't be an issue, so go with thin-walled stuff to save weight.
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Intercooler piping Wed, 01 September 2004 23:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
This as in 1.6 - 1.8mm?
3T-GTE
Regular

August 2003
Re: Intercooler piping Thu, 02 September 2004 02:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Interesting thread...

Just wondering if mick knows/related to / is this person http://www.billzilla.org/smugstain.zip???
He certainly sounds familiar. Wink

I could be wrong though. Embarassed

Shane, So what have you decided on as the best solution for your situation / budget?

[Updated on: Thu, 02 September 2004 02:20]

Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Intercooler piping Thu, 02 September 2004 12:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm not sure as yet. I can get stainless for the same price as mild so I would go stainless over mild. So i'll see what happens on the day.
7M-Brisbane
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: Intercooler piping Thu, 02 September 2004 13:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

employed as Senior Manufacturing Engineer at GMH

If you're so smart why did it take so goddamn long to replace that f_cking horrible V6? Laughing

IN seriousness, I find this thread quite interesting... I am doing my cooler piping soon and am considering mild steel.. my main reason for choosing this is cost.. and the main reason I may decide against it is that I dislike the idea of that powdery surface rust you see on exhausts entering my engine!
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Intercooler piping Thu, 02 September 2004 22:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
1. That's why you HPC your pipes. Razz

2. Even if you don't, the inside of your pipes will quickly be coated in a thin layer of oil, which means no rust.
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Intercooler piping Thu, 02 September 2004 22:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ora thick layer, depending on the condition of your turbos...

not htat I'd know
tripharn
Occasional Poster

September 2004
Re: Intercooler piping Thu, 02 September 2004 23:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you are feeling cheap and just want it to it do it's job, then this is what I did.

Got some mild steel pipes made, included 3 pipes, AFM -> turbo, turbo -> IC, IC -> TB. Also included welding a BOV on to one, and installation for $170.

I then wandered down to Clark Rubber and for $20 got some heat reflective rubber stuff and zip tied it one. It makes a noticeable difference, especially in my engine bay where the pipes where getting bloody hot to touch, and now are near ambient temperature. It does depend a lot on your turbo, boost, IC etc... but yea, I found for $200 you couldn't complain.

Tripharn
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Intercooler piping Fri, 03 September 2004 01:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tripharn wrote on Fri, 03 September 2004 09:50

If you are feeling cheap and just want it to it do it's job, then this is what I did.

Got some mild steel pipes made, included 3 pipes, AFM -> turbo, turbo -> IC, IC -> TB. Also included welding a BOV on to one, and installation for $170.

I then wandered down to Clark Rubber and for $20 got some heat reflective rubber stuff and zip tied it one. It makes a noticeable difference, especially in my engine bay where the pipes where getting bloody hot to touch, and now are near ambient temperature. It does depend a lot on your turbo, boost, IC etc... but yea, I found for $200 you couldn't complain.

Tripharn

doesent help people who want nice looking bays though
joorsh
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: Intercooler piping Fri, 03 September 2004 01:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nice looking engine bays are for those homo's you see in mackas carparks with the bonnet open, all standing in a circle masterbating on the car.

Laughing

-J-
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Intercooler piping Fri, 03 September 2004 01:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
LOL what he said. Laughing
monkeymajik
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: Intercooler piping Fri, 03 September 2004 01:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Clark Rubber sell heat sheilding stuff!?! That may prove a bit cheaper than other places I was looking.
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Intercooler piping Fri, 03 September 2004 01:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
joorsh wrote on Fri, 03 September 2004 11:20

Nice looking engine bays are for those homo's you see in mackas carparks with the bonnet open, all standing in a circle masterbating on the car.

Laughing

-J-

lol.. i like my respectable engine bay.. clean... not shithouse like it was... and not over the top
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: Intercooler piping Fri, 03 September 2004 01:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
7M-Brisbane wrote on Thu, 02 September 2004 23:39

Quote:

employed as Senior Manufacturing Engineer at GMH

If you're so smart why did it take so goddamn long to replace that f_cking horrible V6? Laughing

I'm not a Product Engineer, I'm just hired help in putting it together. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Intercooler piping Fri, 03 September 2004 03:08 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
I know i've kept you all waiting... but oh well...

Excuse the lack of filter, I still need to pick one up (what should I get? apexi pod?)

http://www.users.on.net/hydra/cars/celixx/images/s wap/pipe

It's not pretty, but function takes priority over form Smile
Pages (2): [1  2  >  »]   Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:3tgte Thermostat which one?
Next Topic:3t-c crank for 2t-geu
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 22:24:56 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0087409019470215 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.