Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Boost Issues Help *Please* Thu, 02 September 2004 01:17 Go to next message
Hey all got my GZ20 back from the workshop, cheers to Simon AE86 for doing such a fine job on the re-install of the 1GGTE, anyway the bleeder valve is on and i am sure it is installed correctly becuase simon has done it and he knows what he is doing...

I am trying to install my boost guage so i can get some more boost happning becuase it feels like it is currently running on about 3PSI.

For people that know 1GGTE's there is a little nipple on the intake manifold that is spare, i am hooking it up to that but when I do and rev the car it only goes up to negative .9 bar which doesnt sound right...

Have I got it hooked up in the right place???

Please help me Confused
  Send a private message to this user    
joorsh
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: Boost Issues Help *Please* Thu, 02 September 2004 01:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sounds like you've hooked it up to a vac line Smile

Just throw in a T-piece and tap off existing boost pressure.

[Updated on: Thu, 02 September 2004 01:22]

Bugman
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Boost Issues Help *Please* Thu, 02 September 2004 01:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you wont make boost until you are driving with load on the motor. free revving it wont make any boost until it bounces of the rev limiter Smiley =
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: Boost Issues Help *Please* Thu, 02 September 2004 01:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ahhh right so does that mean i have to drill into my cooler piping or something like that???? would that work?
Danners
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Boost Issues Help *Please* Thu, 02 September 2004 01:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
WHAA?!!

no!

P.S you are now banned from using drills for 10 years!
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Boost Issues Help *Please* Thu, 02 September 2004 01:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The boost gauge needs to be hooked up to the plenum, post-throttle. Definitely don't hook it up to the cooler piping (pre-throttle), you'll get all sorts of interesting readings but nothing useful!

As mentioned above your engine will not make any boost at all when it's not under load. You'll have to take it for a drive before you see positive manifold pressure.
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Boost Issues Help *Please* Thu, 02 September 2004 01:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://www.supras.org.nz/techinfo/johnathan_walker /default.htm

Read that.
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: Boost Issues Help *Please* Thu, 02 September 2004 01:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Note taken on drills Laughing

Now I have hooked it up to the nipple on my intake, but i have got it connected with the same hose that runs from the top of my BOV, is this bad, will this cause the gauge to give incorrect results?

Please not i have one hose form the back of my boost guage and it only goes onto the one nipple, is this right??

Cheers for everyones help BTW

Oh and i took it for a drive and the same thing happened...Confused

No boost reading...
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: Boost Issues Help *Please* Thu, 02 September 2004 01:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Norbie wrote on Thu, 02 September 2004 11:32

The boost gauge needs to be hooked up to the plenum, post-throttle. Definitely don't hook it up to the cooler piping (pre-throttle), you'll get all sorts of interesting readings but nothing useful!

Hmmm. When I got my car, the boost guage was tee'd off the waste gate line. By your thinking that would not be good (as it is essentially between the turbo and throttle butterfly)? No ?

What about a boost controller - same for this ?
joorsh
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: Boost Issues Help *Please* Thu, 02 September 2004 01:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You're boost controller NEEDS to be hooked up to your wastegate line - otherwise it's not going to do much!

-J-

[Updated on: Thu, 02 September 2004 01:42]

MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: Boost Issues Help *Please* Thu, 02 September 2004 01:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My boost controller is hooked up to the wastegate line...

I am confident of that, as the mechanic (Simon-AE86) has done that, I am confused, i have people trying to tell me too hooke up by boost gauge to this line as well??? Is that waht i am supposed to do...
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: Boost Issues Help *Please* Thu, 02 September 2004 02:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok i just wound the bleed valve out the entire way and went for a spin around the block...

No boost cut, no increase in power!

FUCK!!!!

It is not installed correctly, and now i cant fix it till wednesday when the mechanic gets back, becuase i dont know what the fuck he has done!

FUCK!!!!

Cheers for everyones help with the gauge problems btw

Will someone please give me a straight answer on where to hook it up tho...i would like to see how much boost it is actually running but like i said only vaccum, no boost even when driving the mofo
Bugman
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Boost Issues Help *Please* Thu, 02 September 2004 03:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
to the inlet plenum. sounds like you got it right.. is car going like crap? maybe it's not running properly and seeing boost, my 1g has done it a few times, like an error mode. try taking the batter power off it and reseting the ecu, does the trick for me.
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: Boost Issues Help *Please* Thu, 02 September 2004 03:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bugman wrote on Thu, 02 September 2004 12:39

to the inlet plenum. sounds like you got it right.. is car going like crap? maybe it's not running properly and seeing boost, my 1g has done it a few times, like an error mode. try taking the batter power off it and reseting the ecu, does the trick for me.

OK ill try that now, but it doesnt seem to be running more boost at, in fact the motor feels like it isnt running any boost at all, the BOV hardly makes a sound, you can hear the rtrubos but it seems like they arent doing anything, it idles fine and revs in neutral fine it just feels really really slow. Confused
Bugman
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Boost Issues Help *Please* Thu, 02 September 2004 03:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
meh, something is weird then.. cos even if the bleeder valve is fucked it'd either be really laggy cos the wastegates are held open or it'd make too much boost, stuck shut. sounds like the ecu isnt working properly. ie retarding timing too much or something like that.
CrAiGzEE
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Boost Issues Help *Please* Thu, 02 September 2004 03:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
do your turbos have exhaust wheels on them?? Laughing it will always boost even in limp home mode, it just retards the ignition
indian
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: Boost Issues Help *Please* Thu, 02 September 2004 03:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
0OK BEFORE U START SCREAMING UR GUTS OUT AGAIN

is the bleed valve positioned the right way , there will be an arrow on the bleed valve it should be pointing towards the wategate , if not the boost valve wont work at all ,

thresn a small unused nipple coming off the throttle body facing towards the front of the car , unplug it and connect ur boost gauge on that

last off all see if all the piping is connected propely and theres no leaks

if all fails maybe reset the ecu
good luck

[Updated on: Thu, 02 September 2004 03:27]

Bugman
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Boost Issues Help *Please* Thu, 02 September 2004 03:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
craig, if your main efi relay drops power it wont boost but will still run Smiley =
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Boost Issues Help *Please* Thu, 02 September 2004 03:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bbaacchhyy wrote on Thu, 02 September 2004 11:39

Hmmm. When I got my car, the boost guage was tee'd off the waste gate line. By your thinking that would not be good (as it is essentially between the turbo and throttle butterfly)? No ?

The purpose of a boost gauge is to tell you how much boost the engine is seeing. Who cares what pressure is in your intercooler pipes? Note that this will usually be heaps higher than the pressure in the plenum (especially at part-throttle) but it's not useful information. Hook up the gauge to the plenum!
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: Boost Issues Help *Please* Thu, 02 September 2004 04:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Firstly i must apologise for my little outburst before, as I was a tad frustrated...which I hope some of you can understand

Anyway, I went down to Japanese Motorsport and let one of the guys take it for a spin, his first wrods were, "fuck this thing is slow" "Is it usually this slow?", i told him no.

Anyway he got his new fangled boost meter and hooked it up, we went for a drive and what do you know! ZERO FUCKEN BOOST hmmm, thats odd he said, we fucked around with the bleeder valve, still nothing, pulls part of the intake off and what do you know the fucken turbos are seized!

THat why ive got no boost, so i drove back to the mechanic where I preceded to blast the shit out of him not checking it, (not Simon-AE86, his boss).

So now the turbos off my old motor, which I know work well are going onto my new motor, this will be done by tomorrow, and if its not I will kill him Smile

Cheers for the help people!
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Boost Issues Help *Please* Thu, 02 September 2004 05:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Heh, who would have thought!

I just hope I don't suffer the same problems with my turbos... though they felt fine, no shaft play, spun really nicely.
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: Boost Issues Help *Please* Thu, 02 September 2004 05:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
these ones are soo fucked they dont even spin properly

yes im fucked off Evil or Very Mad
joorsh
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: Boost Issues Help *Please* Thu, 02 September 2004 05:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
damn that sucks!

good excuse to go for a new set of HKS babies though Smile
CrAiGzEE
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Boost Issues Help *Please* Thu, 02 September 2004 05:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bugman wrote on Thu, 02 September 2004 13:31

craig, if your main efi relay drops power it wont boost but will still run Smiley =

luke whats that got to do with the price of fish? Razz
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: Boost Issues Help *Please* Thu, 02 September 2004 05:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
joorsh wrote on Thu, 02 September 2004 14:40

damn that sucks!

good excuse to go for a new set of HKS babies though Smile

Need the car for the weekend, and anyway im saving up for a single turbo conversion with a T28BB, no more fucken twins
indian
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: Boost Issues Help *Please* Thu, 02 September 2004 06:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
T28 BB HOWS THAT GONNA WORK , NEVER HEARD BEFORE , IS IT A CUSTOM JOB
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Boost Issues Help *Please* Thu, 02 September 2004 06:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
indian wrote on Thu, 02 September 2004 14:29

It'll most likely work nicely on a 2l engine like a 1G. It's from an S14A and S15 Silvia (200SX). It is a custom job. The CAPS LOCK button is on the left side of your keyboard.
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: Boost Issues Help *Please* Thu, 02 September 2004 06:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
justcallmefrank wrote on Thu, 02 September 2004 16:03

indian wrote on Thu, 02 September 2004 14:29

It'll most likely work nicely on a 2l engine like a 1G. It's from an S14A and S15 Silvia (200SX). It is a custom job. The CAPS LOCK button is on the left side of your keyboard.

ROFL @ Caps Lock!

Errr....just about any single turbo conversion on a 1G is gonna be custom unless you go for a HKS kit, but sadly money will def not permit that Sad

As for the T28BB well that seemed like a more sensible choice than a CT26 becuase it has a steel wheel and not ceramic crap, so it is capable of around 20PSI when high flowed and that would be mondo fun in the pimper me thinks!
indian
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: Boost Issues Help *Please* Thu, 02 September 2004 06:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lol soz bout the caps , i know what at28bb is never heard of one on a 1g-gte thats all , so im assuming as usaid there will need to be a custom manifold made for the turbo what will the cost of that be any rough ideas ,

better than trying to find a hks or similar turbo when the t28 can be sorced from the heaps of silvias around , or maybe even a t25g
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: Boost Issues Help *Please* Thu, 02 September 2004 06:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nope I only want a T28BB, and I think they only came out on S15 silvias, but i can get one in good nick for about $550, which is dirt cheap!

All i need then is the manifold, dump pipe and oil lines but I can make them myself.

Dunno how much the manifold is gonna cost me yet, as I am still negotiating price with someone ATM
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Boost Issues Help *Please* Thu, 02 September 2004 07:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I know it's probably not the best way, but I can't see how it wouldn't be effective. Apparently someone got an adapter that bolted to where the turbos used to be on a 1G, and merged them for a single turbo. Food for thought, and no doubt cheaper than a custom manifold, because it's already been done before.
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: Boost Issues Help *Please* Thu, 02 September 2004 08:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Is that someone on these forums perhaps?? If you knew who they were that would be very beneficial to my cause!

As for my car well now I have to wait untill wednesday when simon gets back before the fucking thing is gonna be fixed!

AAAARGHHHHHH!!! Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

OH MAN I AM SOOOOOO FUCKEN PISSED OFF!!!!!!!!!!!!

VIOLENCE REALLY LOOKS LIKE AN OPTION RIGHT NOW!!!!!!!!!!

HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Boost Issues Help *Please* Thu, 02 September 2004 08:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quit yer bitchin!!! My engine had bad bearings and i've been waiting umm... over a month now?

I've been hassling the guys doing it, but it still has taken forever...

You'll live, can't you drive it around with the turbo's not working? Sure it'll be gutless, but you can get from A to B...
Bugman
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Boost Issues Help *Please* Thu, 02 September 2004 08:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
it was a guy in melbourne with a 1g in a corona.

but know/talking to him wont be really much of an adantage.

basically you leave the manifold on the motor. giving you two holes/pipes going up where the turbos normally are. then the adaptor is a pipe from each going up to the new turbo flange.

turbo
_
/ \
old turbos normally bolt here.

joorsh
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: Boost Issues Help *Please* Thu, 02 September 2004 08:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
go the ASCII art Smile
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Boost Issues Help *Please* Thu, 02 September 2004 08:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I tried looking for the website for it through Google and through the search thing here. I can't find the thread nor the place which has the adapter.
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: Boost Issues Help *Please* Thu, 02 September 2004 08:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
HyDrA wrote on Thu, 02 September 2004 17:42

Quit yer bitchin!!! My engine had bad bearings and i've been waiting umm... over a month now?

I've been hassling the guys doing it, but it still has taken forever...

You'll live, can't you drive it around with the turbo's not working? Sure it'll be gutless, but you can get from A to B...

Hey man FUCK YOU!!!!

Ill bitch all I fucken want, this is my thread!

I just broke the door off my bedroom and my mum is pissed off at me know so i dont want to have to listen to your shit as well!

How could the adaptor not be an advantage??

It would surely be dirt cheap compared to a custom manifold!
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Boost Issues Help *Please* Thu, 02 September 2004 08:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Laughing

Someone needs to calm down....
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: Boost Issues Help *Please* Thu, 02 September 2004 08:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I just had a cigarette and now I fell much better....

Ahhhhhh sweet sweet nicotine
acmtt
Regular

March 2003
Re: Boost Issues Help *Please* Thu, 02 September 2004 10:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You can get the adaptor made up to go from twin to single. Really simple if you think about it. Just make sure you know what turbo so you get the right flange put on.
Expect about $200.

MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: Boost Issues Help *Please* Thu, 02 September 2004 10:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I am definetly gonna take you up on that offer, you have a mobile number, and it needs to be setup so the turbo will fit under the bonnet... Very Happy
acmtt
Regular

March 2003
Re: Boost Issues Help *Please* Thu, 02 September 2004 10:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Testa Dura has one that he bought off a member.

I have a spare manifold and a mate that is capable. Just PM with the details when you are ready. I was going to do this as a short term fix but i have bought a single manifold.
Cheers
Andrew
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: Boost Issues Help *Please* Thu, 02 September 2004 11:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OK no worries, would it be cheaper if i give you the manifold becuase i have access to one Very Happy

You know this is for a 1GGTE dont you?
CrAiGzEE
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Boost Issues Help *Please* Thu, 02 September 2004 11:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i think indian is on the b0ng!! talking silly

aparently thos adaptors are pretty poor a couple of people i have talked to whp have them are pretty disappointed with them
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: Boost Issues Help *Please* Thu, 02 September 2004 12:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
flow is not an issue, as long as they hold boost pressure and enable me to have the turbo under the bonnet i dont care!

INDIAN SMOKES CRACK NOT WEED MAN!
indian
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: Boost Issues Help *Please* Thu, 02 September 2004 22:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
man if ur turbos aint gonna flow much u gonna get shit all boost , it will only hold boost if it can make it in the first place ,
and no stupid freeks im no druggie

also some dude here put a hitachi turbo on the ig-gte and got some good results before he manged something into the air inlet and shattered the blades , try and find who it was
tripharn
Occasional Poster

September 2004
Re: Boost Issues Help *Please* Fri, 03 September 2004 00:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MR 1GGTE wrote on Thu, 02 September 2004 18:38

You smoke, and live at home with your mum... and you bitch a lot. I hope you are paying for the door, but probably not, you sound like a spoilt little brat.

And as for your turbo's beind siezed, maybe it is karma smacking you upside the head for being an idiot. Twisted Evil

indian
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: Boost Issues Help *Please* Fri, 03 September 2004 00:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tripharn wrote on Fri, 03 September 2004 10:04

You smoke, and live at home with your mum... and you bitch a lot. I hope you are paying for the door, but probably not, you sound like a spoilt little brat.

And as for your turbo's beind siezed, maybe it is karma smacking you upside the head for being an idiot. Twisted Evil

HAAAAAAAAAAAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

THATS A CRACKER , LOLLLLLLLLL Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: Boost Issues Help *Please* Fri, 03 September 2004 01:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tripharn wrote on Fri, 03 September 2004 09:34

Hey tripharn at least I can live at home you fuckstick!

Becuase my mum isnt a crackwhore like yours!

FYI I actually work two jobs too afford my car, i have no Loan on it and it was paid for in cash! And yes you wanker I am paying for the door!

indian
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: Boost Issues Help *Please* Fri, 03 September 2004 01:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
carefull with the words my friend u dont wanna get banned now do you
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: Boost Issues Help *Please* Fri, 03 September 2004 02:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No I dont, so as of now I will shut my mouth Rolling Eyes
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Boost Issues Help *Please* Fri, 03 September 2004 07:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrAiGzEE wrote on Thu, 02 September 2004 19:36

i think indian is on the b0ng!! talking silly

aparently thos adaptors are pretty poor a couple of people i have talked to whp have them are pretty disappointed with them

Who is this?
old_mr2
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: Boost Issues Help *Please* Fri, 03 September 2004 08:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BWAHAHAHA
Sledge
Regular

January 2004
Re: Boost Issues Help *Please* Sat, 04 September 2004 00:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
This really has been an entertaining read Razz
takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: Boost Issues Help *Please* Sat, 04 September 2004 00:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hm, makes me question if i really want to move to Adelaide.
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Boost Issues Help *Please* Sun, 05 September 2004 23:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hahah takai... it's not bad!

MR 1GGTE just needs more cigs Razz
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: Boost Issues Help *Please* Mon, 06 September 2004 02:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
HyDrA wrote on Mon, 06 September 2004 09:04

Hahah takai... it's not bad!

MR 1GGTE just needs more cigs Razz

LOL yes I do!
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Boost Issues Help *Please* Mon, 06 September 2004 02:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Come steal my dad's gf's cigs, she doesnt need them, they just stink up the house!
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: Boost Issues Help *Please* Mon, 06 September 2004 02:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
HyDrA wrote on Mon, 06 September 2004 11:51

Come steal my dad's gf's cigs, she doesnt need them, they just stink up the house!

She smoke PJ's??

All Class, all i need is the flannie and ill be set!

HEy man where you live Up To Something

[Updated on: Mon, 06 September 2004 02:24]

RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: Boost Issues Help *Please* Mon, 06 September 2004 03:26 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
takai -> Adelaide is good, Adelaide roads are good Very Happy I can understand MR_1GGTE being ticked off, I think he's had his share of being dicked Razz And what's wrong with car loans btw!!! I have a job and I'm shit at saving money, so the 'default fee' is bloody good motivation to 'save' for something (even tho I get it now). Bank loans are only ghey if the person getting them uses their parents as guarantor and uses their $500 per week pocket money to pay it off.
Pages (2): [1  2  >  »]   Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Corolla ke10/11 wheel size
Next Topic:Concession to rice - where can I get a fibreglass spoiler made?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon May 13 19:17:18 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0080480575561523 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.