Toymods » General Car Talk » New to board AW11 owner

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Benno
Occasional Poster

August 2004
icon10.gif  New to board AW11 owner Mon, 23 August 2004 03:15 Go to next message
Greetings all.

Just wanna say "hi!" and a short intro. I bought an AW11 MR2 about five months ago from a yard in Kirrawee. Since then I have discovered that its quite rare. It's a hardtop supercharged model with a factory LSD and a 176mm crank pulley, the blower pushes 12lb. Myself, I'm an old fart (41) whos into motorsport and mechanical contrivances, bikes cars, planes etc. I bought the MR2 to get involved in club motorsport and to that end I joined the NSW MR2 club and have gone on one run. The beast is in at present getting a gearbox rebuild, I already did the suspension up with urethane bushings and new track rods. I look forward to participating on the board and learning as much as I can.

Ben.
  Send a private message to this user    
._T_.
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: New to board AW11 owner Mon, 23 August 2004 03:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hi ben,

there are a few of us aw11 owners on the board - doubt anyone ownes a stock one!

mine is an aus delivered that now has a t-bar roof & the mechanicals out of a '94 "bathurst" in it - just slightly modified!

T
feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: New to board AW11 owner Mon, 23 August 2004 09:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hi Ben, good to see you have great taste in cars.. Smile
welcome to the forums and i hope you enjoy your aw11 as much as i have over the last 9 years.
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: New to board AW11 owner Mon, 23 August 2004 13:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
welcome to the Forums Ben. I hope you enjoy your stay, and enjoy the life of being a Toyota modifier! Cool
Clown
Forums Junkie

September 2002

Re: New to board AW11 owner Tue, 24 August 2004 09:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes.......... another aw11 owner Cool
Pics pics...... must have pics!!!
river
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: New to board AW11 owner Tue, 24 August 2004 09:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Ben,

Welcome aboard and congrats on getting a nice Toyota.

Planes are cool - way cool. If only Toyota made an ultralight.

seeyuzz
river
pjaw11sc
Regular

February 2004
Re: New to board AW11 owner Tue, 24 August 2004 13:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Clown wrote on Tue, 24 August 2004 18:41

Yes.......... another aw11 owner Cool
Pics pics...... must have pics!!!

I SECOND THAT!!!!! (to both statements) Very Happy
Benno
Occasional Poster

August 2004
Re: New to board AW11 owner Thu, 26 August 2004 06:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Thanx for the greets all Very Happy

I have heard many opinions on wheel diameter for the AW11. Consensus is 15" for best handling. Maybe I'll get some S/H 15's and try them out. The 16" ROH "Blade" wheels were on the car when I bought it, not my taste actually but heh! they'll do!

See my thread "My AW11 in High Performance Imports Mag" for pix.
Hirogen
Forums Junkie

July 2002
      WTF is a jabber?
Re: New to board AW11 owner Thu, 26 August 2004 06:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just somthing I heard someone may be able to clear up, but aren't all Factory GZE AW11s targo tops?
Benno
Occasional Poster

August 2004
Re: New to board AW11 owner Thu, 26 August 2004 06:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I believe that all the American delivered SC cars (88 or 87 on) were "T" top and at the same time all the high equipment spec Japanese cars were the same. Mine is an early SC from Japan and unusually has a hard top. I have the book by Mr Noble which covers the AW11 in great detail and I havn't found any specific mention of my car the way it's built. I suspect it might have been converted from a low spec (hardtop) in Japan but that's a long shot. More likely the option then (86) was a sunroof and this car just didn't have one.
Miss MR2
Regular

April 2004
Re: New to board AW11 owner Thu, 26 August 2004 08:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hirogen wrote on Thu, 26 August 2004 16:43

Just somthing I heard someone may be able to clear up, but aren't all Factory GZE AW11s targo tops?

We just bought (another) AW11, supercharged form Japan and it isnt targa.
Hirogen
Forums Junkie

July 2002
      WTF is a jabber?
Re: New to board AW11 owner Thu, 26 August 2004 08:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ah well, looks like i was mis informed, wouldnt be the first time, thank you both for clearing that up.
fatmr2
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: New to board AW11 owner Thu, 26 August 2004 10:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I guess the only question left is......Are you going to make it go faster now?????

Very Happy
feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: New to board AW11 owner Thu, 26 August 2004 12:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i have also been under the impression over the years that all factory s/c models where t-tops. plus i thought that the 4agze didnt come out until 1988 in the aw11's, but there seem to be quite a few 1986 model aw11's being imported into OZ with 4agze engines in them, and the last one i looked at seemed to be very factory looking (4agze 1986 hardtop)..

wierd. Confused
pjaw11sc
Regular

February 2004
Re: New to board AW11 owner Thu, 26 August 2004 12:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
they started making sc in '85 i believe.
Benno wrote

I believe that all the American delivered SC cars (88 or 87 on) were "T" top and at the same time all the high equipment spec Japanese cars were the same.

my '87 is a hard top and it is the high spec jap model.

before i got mine i though that all sc's were hard top cos there is a website which says that "All sc models came out in t-top", which obviously isn't true Razz
pjaw11sc
Regular

February 2004
Re: New to board AW11 owner Thu, 26 August 2004 12:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
they started making sc's in '85 i believe.
Benno wrote

I believe that all the American delivered SC cars (88 or 87 on) were "T" top and at the same time all the high equipment spec Japanese cars were the same.

my '87 is a hard top and it is the high spec jap model.

before i got mine i though that all sc's were hard top cos there is a website which says that "All sc models came out in t-top", which obviously isn't true Razz
pjaw11sc
Regular

February 2004
Re: New to board AW11 owner Thu, 26 August 2004 12:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

before i got mine i though that all sc's were HARD TOP cos there is a website which says that "All sc models came out in t-top", which obviously isn't true

woops, i meant t-top
feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: New to board AW11 owner Sat, 28 August 2004 12:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
pjaw11sc wrote on Thu, 26 August 2004 22:36

they started making sc's in '85 i believe.

where did you get this imformation?

i still find it strange that the s/c model apparently also comes in a hard top from factory, it just goes against all the research i have done on aw11's over the years. Confused
superaw11
Regular

September 2002
Re: New to board AW11 owner Mon, 30 August 2004 16:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The confusion comes from U.S.A AW11SC spec VS JAP AW11SC spec.
The JAP spec AW11SC was available from 1986 and was available in targa top mainly but also some tin tops were available.
The U.S.A AW11SC was available from 1988 and was targa top only.
I personally own a Jap spec 1986 AW11SC and a 1988 Jap spec AW11SC both of which are targa tops.
Regards Superaw11. Smile
pjaw11sc
Regular

February 2004
Re: New to board AW11 owner Tue, 31 August 2004 14:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i think you mighthave hit it on the head, the more i think about it the more i think i was confusing myself with that '85 build date, sorry guys Razz
Clown
Forums Junkie

September 2002

Re: New to board AW11 owner Thu, 02 September 2004 11:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
1986 factory S/C here. umm i was under the impression that all S/c's were T-tops aswell.
pjaw11sc
Regular

February 2004
Re: New to board AW11 owner Thu, 02 September 2004 12:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Don't believe the rumours people!! I own an 87 factory sc hardtop! Very Happy
Spanktown
Forums Junkie

June 2002

Re: New to board AW11 owner Thu, 02 September 2004 13:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
November 86 factory T-top here Smile
The damn yanks confused me too...
old_mr2
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: New to board AW11 owner Fri, 03 September 2004 10:10 Go to previous message
Me is March 1987 JDM AW11 SC. I have targa.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Better choice, TX3 or AE82
Next Topic:have you driven a v8 race car before?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun May 5 17:15:01 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0050370693206787 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.