Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Hilux with an 18r... options?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
tripharn
Occasional Poster

September 2004
Hilux with an 18r... options? Thu, 02 September 2004 23:46 Go to next message
Hey guys,

At this stage I should mention that I have never owned a toyota, so I don't know which engines are the best etc,and codes etc.

Anyway, I'm thinking of buying my fathers old work ute. It is an old beat up hilux, with an 18r. This thing is in the worst condition you could imagine. The only real good thing about it is the bull bar, mud tyres and it's 4WD.

Now, I'm just wondering what engines will drop in, and obviously still bolt up to the box. It's going to be a 4WD vehicle that I can take out bush and hill climb etc, so something that is EFI and simple to supercharge, if not already standard.

If it bolts up then I can handle doing all the wiring etc. Also if someone has a front cut for sale then I'm definately interested.

By the way, I'm only paying $500 for the ute.

Thanks,
Tripharn
  Send a private message to this user    
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: Hilux with an 18r... options? Fri, 03 September 2004 01:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tripharn wrote on Fri, 03 September 2004 09:46

Hey guys,

At this stage I should mention that I have never owned a toyota, so I don't know which engines are the best etc,and codes etc.

Anyway, I'm thinking of buying my fathers old work ute. It is an old beat up hilux, with an 18r. This thing is in the worst condition you could imagine. The only real good thing about it is the bull bar, mud tyres and it's 4WD.

Now, I'm just wondering what engines will drop in, and obviously still bolt up to the box. It's going to be a 4WD vehicle that I can take out bush and hill climb etc, so something that is EFI and simple to supercharge, if not already standard.

If it bolts up then I can handle doing all the wiring etc. Also if someone has a front cut for sale then I'm definately interested.

By the way, I'm only paying $500 for the ute.

Thanks,
Tripharn

22R was a good truck motor..if the 18r is rooted.

But if you're looking o go fast, you should scrap the 4wd and get a 2wd one...MUCH easier to do up.
tripharn
Occasional Poster

September 2004
Re: Hilux with an 18r... options? Fri, 03 September 2004 02:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hmmm, nah I need it to stay 4WD... that is the whole point of getting it, if I want to go fast I'll just get my MX6 Very Happy

Yea, I just want something with a fair bit of torque... hence the supercharger to help it along.

I was thinking 4AGZE, would that actually bolt up to the box, and the mounts though? If it does, then that looks like the way to go.

Tripharn

V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: Hilux with an 18r... options? Fri, 03 September 2004 02:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tripharn wrote on Fri, 03 September 2004 12:25

Hmmm, nah I need it to stay 4WD... that is the whole point of getting it, if I want to go fast I'll just get my MX6 Very Happy

Yea, I just want something with a fair bit of torque... hence the supercharger to help it along.

I was thinking 4AGZE, would that actually bolt up to the box, and the mounts though? If it does, then that looks like the way to go.

Tripharn

No, you need to keep an "r" series engine for all your mounts, bellhousing and everything to work.
22RE you will need from a celica or another hilux. that is a fuel injected motor with a lot more torque. So youd need a wiring loom and a computer out of the same car. They are cheap as chips and heaps around.
tripharn
Occasional Poster

September 2004
Re: Hilux with an 18r... options? Fri, 03 September 2004 02:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok, thanks... now I'm getting somewhere.

I'll have a look up for the specs on the engine, thanks alot.

Tripharn
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: Hilux with an 18r... options? Fri, 03 September 2004 02:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
For what you want to do and what you are most likely to want to spend, a 22RE engine is your best bet.
You can try and fit a 1G-GZE 2 litre supercharged engine but you will have bellhousing/clutch/flywheel/and gearbox issues.
You may need the sump and oil pick-up from the 18R to fit to the 22RE as I believe they have their sump in a different spot in relation to your cross-member.
tripharn
Occasional Poster

September 2004
Re: Hilux with an 18r... options? Fri, 03 September 2004 02:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yea, from what I've read (from a US site) it seems like a fairly good option.

They mentioned that a turbo charged version exists? Is that in Aussie too? Are they diesel or petrol?

As for price, I'm only paying $500 for the ute, so I'm happy to spend around $4000 - $5000 to get up to scratch, not all of it on engine though. But most of the labour I can do myself, so that is a bonus Cool

Anyway, thanks for your help.
Tripharn
Supralux
Regular

July 2004
Re: Hilux with an 18r... options? Fri, 03 September 2004 03:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
5mge is what i have put in my 84 hilux. this site explains everything. All up i have spent $1000

http://www.4wd.net.nz/suprasurf.htm
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Hilux with an 18r... options? Fri, 03 September 2004 03:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
There is a turbo version of the 22R (ie 22R-TE) but it was never released here and it's a bit of a dog anyway. If you're keen on stupid amounts of torque and don't mind a bit of custom fab work, a 22R-E with a supercharger from a 1G-GZE would be just the ticket. Smile
tripharn
Occasional Poster

September 2004
Re: Hilux with an 18r... options? Fri, 03 September 2004 05:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Norbie wrote on Fri, 03 September 2004 13:59

There is a turbo version of the 22R (ie 22R-TE) but it was never released here and it's a bit of a dog anyway. If you're keen on stupid amounts of torque and don't mind a bit of custom fab work, a 22R-E with a supercharger from a 1G-GZE would be just the ticket. Smile

Yea, that was what I was figuring. I'll need to find what the compression ratio is for the 22R, but I'll probably have to get forged pistons anyway so I can lower it if I need to.

Tripharn
sideshow
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: Hilux with an 18r... options? Fri, 03 September 2004 06:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if the engine u are fitting needs engine mountsd fabricated

radiator modified

new air cleaner box etc

wiring done

efi pump and fuel system

then it doesnt matter what engine u choose it will cost similer

so u might as well go for a 1gg or 1uz

no use goin to all that effort for a less hp engine

if u want to do it on the cheap find something that will bolt in easy
tripharn
Occasional Poster

September 2004
Re: Hilux with an 18r... options? Fri, 03 September 2004 06:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sideshow wrote on Fri, 03 September 2004 16:29

if the engine u are fitting needs engine mountsd fabricated

radiator modified

new air cleaner box etc

wiring done

efi pump and fuel system

then it doesnt matter what engine u choose it will cost similer

so u might as well go for a 1gg or 1uz

no use goin to all that effort for a less hp engine

if u want to do it on the cheap find something that will bolt in easy

Exactly right... hence why I'm going for the 22RE, it's EFI and bolts up.

Tripharn
mike1980ra40
Occasional Poster

February 2004
Re: Hilux with an 18r... options? Fri, 03 September 2004 08:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Options for an engine hmmmm. I do know
that the 18R head will fit a 20R block, making a 2.2l
Because I had one Smile
if your 18r fits a hilux then this is no sweat.

my previous donk was the 20R block, 18R head, 16R dizzy,
webby, lumenition ignition, tuned headers, with a W58 box
behind it. I was a fairly good go-er.

I was recently offered a 84 hilux myself and am considering it
and the option of changing the 3Y/W53 to something else...

thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: Hilux with an 18r... options? Fri, 03 September 2004 12:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if you want usable low-down torque for 4WD, then the 1uz is your ideal target.

why not source a turbo desiel engine? (apart from cost)

cheers and good luck.

[Updated on: Fri, 03 September 2004 12:27]

tripharn
Occasional Poster

September 2004
Re: Hilux with an 18r... options? Tue, 07 September 2004 01:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Far out, I've been reading what people have put in Hiluxs. I've seen twin turbo supras, range rover V8's etc... This is going to be fun Laughing

Anyway, I'm still probably going to go along the 22RE & supercharge route, just trying to find one is harder than I thought. If possible could someone just list all the vehicles and years they came in as I'm going to ring around wreckers and see how much they want for everything.

Thanks guys you've been a great help.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Hilux with an 18r... options? Tue, 07 September 2004 03:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The most common sources are RT142 Coronas and RA65 Celicas, both from around 85/86 I think.
Steve M
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: Hilux with an 18r... options? Tue, 07 September 2004 10:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The compression ratio for a 22R-E is either 9.0:1 or 9.1:1 depending on the model.
The turbo version had a 7.5:1 CR
Vanquish
Regular

July 2004
Re: Hilux with an 18r... options? Wed, 08 September 2004 12:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I reckon your best bet is an 18RG! its got more grunt than a 22r and for a $500 ute u wouldnt need much more.
Ozducati
Newcomer

June 2004
Re: Hilux with an 18r... options? Fri, 01 October 2004 02:56 Go to previous message
I'm in a similar situation......... a '81 Hilux with a rooted 18R in it.
Does any one know what grief there would be with Queensland Transport if I put a 22R engine in? Do they require bigger brakes etc. to be fitted?
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Bottom end bearings
Next Topic:Nitrous Oxide and 18R-G
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon May 6 13:44:20 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0056889057159424 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.