Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
midori
Newcomer

September 2004
just bought a corolla sx 1990 Thu, 02 September 2004 08:29 Go to next message
hey guys im all new to the corolla and just started to browse this forum. I was just wondring if there are any thing that i'd need to know about the car such as certain maintenance etc. its done just over 210000k's and i'm not sure how long the engine will last as there is some quiet knocking and tapping sound coming from the engine. My guess is that it was poorly maintained by the previous owner. I would appreciate any tips that would be helpful so i can drive my car for atleast a year. I got it for 3k.. what do u guys think of that price..

cheers!!
  Send a private message to this user    
dimmy77_03
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: just bought a corolla sx 1990 Thu, 02 September 2004 08:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
pretty good price...i'd get the tapping checked out tho Confused I've heard of rolla's having 300-350000km's on them and still going strong Very Happy
Rolla Boy
Forums Junkie

Club Member

May 2002
Re: just bought a corolla sx 1990 Fri, 03 September 2004 05:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nice work on that dude...

Check http://www.sydneyrollaclub.com aswell as here for info about Rolla's...
-Talasas-
Regular

July 2004
Re: just bought a corolla sx 1990 Fri, 03 September 2004 13:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Depending on how much you want to psend and/or how much your engine is worn (you should be able to tell by it's behaviour).

Learning some of these the hard way, they best thigns to do for your 4AGE after purchase:

- remove injectors and have them sonic cleaned (important!)
- check distributor cap for damage and replace if neccesary
- replace leads (optional)
- new spark plugs (as needed, can use NGK non-platinum)
- change oil and filter according to engine life (i.e older engine = heavier oil)
- replace air filter (optional)

then if and only if more concerns come up after a few months:

- check valve clearances
- replace timing belt as needed
- check and replace other belts as needed

and then if you wanna spend money:

- replace brake pads
- overhaul clutch slave cylinder
- replace clutch and plate
- adjust/replace suspension

That should give you some things to think about. Very Happy
dimmy77_03
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: just bought a corolla sx 1990 Sat, 04 September 2004 00:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Also compression test the head gaskets...they can blow from time to time Razz
spirokeet
Regular

July 2004
Re: just bought a corolla sx 1990 Mon, 06 September 2004 01:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you are willing to pay a bit extra I'd get the car tuned at Toyota. My little bomb went to various mechanics before I took it to Melb Toyota for a service and they made a huge difference. Where ever you choose to go get the bolts tightened to specification in the suspension (BIG handling difference) and make sure you are running the right plugs for full power.
Apart from that just change the oil and filter every year or so. My SX has been run on Mobil1 since new and still goes pretty strong.
Have Fun!
HighRolla
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: just bought a corolla sx 1990 Mon, 06 September 2004 10:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
spiro - Is that orig engine? 514 000km - that's got to be some record!
spirokeet
Regular

July 2004
Re: just bought a corolla sx 1990 Mon, 06 September 2004 11:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah, original
Can't believe it still goes!
Rolla Boy
Forums Junkie

Club Member

May 2002
Re: just bought a corolla sx 1990 Mon, 06 September 2004 13:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Holy shit... Have you owned it since knew or did you buy it off some pussy driver Razz Razz Razz ???
HighRolla
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: just bought a corolla sx 1990 Mon, 06 September 2004 13:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sure they haven't wound the clock forward Confused
Rolla Boy
Forums Junkie

Club Member

May 2002
Re: just bought a corolla sx 1990 Mon, 06 September 2004 13:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I doubt someone would wind it forward but I do find it hard to believe that a 4AGE has lasted 514,000kms... The rings would be gone by now...
dimmy77_03
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: just bought a corolla sx 1990 Mon, 06 September 2004 14:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
That's a rolla for ya...keeps going strong Razz

But damn that's a shitload of km's Shocked
spirokeet
Regular

July 2004
Re: just bought a corolla sx 1990 Tue, 07 September 2004 04:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My old man bought it new in '89. It had mainly done highway miles, but he'd cane it at every oppertunity. Mechanically is still pretty good - no smoke, compression is fine, just idles a bit rough (need new leads).
3 years ago some c**** in a stolen car smashed into my little mk1 Golf (RIP Ralfie) and at the time my dad wanted a new Echo. Sx wasn't worth trading in so I got it and have been fixing bits as they fall off ever since.
Expensive hobby!
HighRolla
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: just bought a corolla sx 1990 Tue, 07 September 2004 07:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What's been going wrong with it that's expensive? - corolla's are usually pretty cheap to maintain!

spirokeet
Regular

July 2004
Re: just bought a corolla sx 1990 Tue, 07 September 2004 07:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Umm,
-got oil seals replaced
-new 'zorst
-rear struts
-rust cut out around windscreen
-needs new front struts now & possibly steering rack
It's not much considering the milage, but I'm a tight arse student.
HighRolla
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: just bought a corolla sx 1990 Tue, 07 September 2004 10:21 Go to previous message
Thats shit all - cars doing normal mileage can be up for those. But yes to a student they can hurt, was a student till last year myself running car on a shoestring budget...
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:STOLEN SOUND SYSTEM
Next Topic:HELP ME FIND A SMASH REPAIRER!!!
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Tue May 14 03:17:50 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0056030750274658 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.