Toymods » Tech & Conversions » How can I get low 15's from an AE93 SX Seca

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Pugs
Regular

July 2004
How can I get low 15's from an AE93 SX Seca Tue, 03 August 2004 00:33 Go to next message
Hi Guys,

I've just brought an AE93 SX Seca with the 100 kw 4AGE motor and wanted to get low 15's out of it without spending too much cash!

What mods would I have to do to achieve this?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Cheers
Pugs
  Send a private message to this user    
hotrolla
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: How can I get low 15's from an AE93 SX Seca Tue, 03 August 2004 01:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
4agze front cut.
Super Jamie
Regular

On Probation

December 2002

Re: How can I get low 15's from an AE93 SX Seca Tue, 03 August 2004 03:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
put the motor in a light rwd corolla such as a ke20
Pugs
Regular

July 2004
Re: How can I get low 15's from an AE93 SX Seca Tue, 03 August 2004 03:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm wanting to keep my ride as I've just got it and I don't want to do an engine conversion!

I know with the right mods and driver, it should be able to be done!

Any other suggestions!
Super Jamie
Regular

On Probation

December 2002

Re: How can I get low 15's from an AE93 SX Seca Tue, 03 August 2004 03:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
exhaust, camshafts, head porting, increased compression, aftermarket computer, lower ratio driveline components (gearbox, diff, wheel size), vehicle weight reduction
Hunty
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: How can I get low 15's from an AE93 SX Seca Tue, 03 August 2004 05:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what do they run stock?

lumpy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: How can I get low 15's from an AE93 SX Seca Tue, 03 August 2004 05:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NOS.
inertia
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: How can I get low 15's from an AE93 SX Seca Tue, 03 August 2004 06:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
All the info you need is right here: http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=776885

Enjoy! Let us know how you go! Evil or Very Mad
Super Jamie
Regular

On Probation

December 2002

Re: How can I get low 15's from an AE93 SX Seca Tue, 03 August 2004 06:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bahahaha, score to inertia

really pugs its a stupid question. make the engine more powerful, make the car lighter, reduce rotational mass and get better traction. put it down a strip and spend money till you get the result you want
fade-e
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: How can I get low 15's from an AE93 SX Seca Tue, 03 August 2004 06:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

they did that to an EA falcon once aswell... the guy wanted weight reduction in the falcon so they chopped everything, even the pillars on the falcon

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

hhhhhhhhhhmmmmmmmmmmmmm i think iv done that to an excel before but not to get it going faster Rolling Eyes
Pugs
Regular

July 2004
Re: How can I get low 15's from an AE93 SX Seca Tue, 03 August 2004 06:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I know how to make a car faster with the right mods but since I'm not that familar with 4age's, I thought somebody might have some extra helpful hints!

I modded an N14 SE20DE Pulsar and managed to get that down to a 14.897 @ 92.7 mph without touching the internals and on street tyres. (Just had full exhaust, cold air box and induction, chip, advanced timing and upgraded plugs and leads).

I have also taking a few different cars down the strip around 70 times combined.

Anybody offering actual help.

Cheers
Pugs

[Updated on: Tue, 03 August 2004 22:42]

mojo_type
Occasional Poster

August 2004
Re: How can I get low 15's from an AE93 SX Seca Mon, 06 September 2004 13:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
just answered it yourself
full exhaust, cold air box and induction, chip, advanced timing and upgraded plugs and leads.

if it worked for on your pulsar im sure it wont hurt a 4age
maybe try playing with more agressive cams
DunkyMonkey
Regular

March 2004
Re: How can I get low 15's from an AE93 SX Seca Tue, 07 September 2004 11:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah and getting rid of the back seats, spare tyre, boot, will help you a bit Razz all i have to say if you do thing that are cheap and nasty they will bite you in the arse later on, do right the first time!!!
Jonny2TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: How can I get low 15's from an AE93 SX Seca Tue, 07 September 2004 13:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Things like cold air intake, sparkplugs etc are all little things, that sometimes give a little more edge. But they are little things, and will never put you into the next time bracket. For a real difference in power, you should get different camshafts, and anything associated with that to make it run right.

Also, a light flywheel can make real difference.

Different plug leads will not.
rvrolla
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: How can I get low 15's from an AE93 SX Seca Tue, 07 September 2004 23:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
inertia wrote on Tue, 03 August 2004 16:26

All the info you need is right here: http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=776885

Enjoy! Let us know how you go! Evil or Very Mad

BAAAHAHAHAHAHAA

That is excellent, thanks for making my day mate!
7M-Brisbane
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: How can I get low 15's from an AE93 SX Seca Tue, 07 September 2004 23:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hiya

Most people here are being a bit defeatist, don't pay them too much attention. Most of the people here aren't into drag racing, and to be honest your car is faster than probably 80% of the cars owned by memebrs of this forum.

My first suggestion is to have a full mechanical workout (eg. new coolant, spark plugs oil & filter, brake fluid, check tyre pressures, etc). Best to find problems now than in a month when you've just spent your money making it faster.

Next step is to take it to the drags and see what you can run. A lot of practice will be involved to get the best times. I would suggest that a low 16 is possible without a problem, and depending how heavy the Secas are (compared to the hatch) then a 15 isn't out of the question either.

I recently raced a friend's Corolla GTi Sports hatch at Willowbank, and on my one run managed a 16.3 with a 60ft time of 2.4 seconds. What that means is that there's probably another 0.3 to 0.4 of a second available just by practicing and getting the car off the line better. Also drop a bit of pressure out of the tyres, this wil help with traction off the line. 40psi is fine for the street but at the drags I'd probably halve that!

Now, I haven't modified any 4A engines, but I know a little in general terms and hope I can help. Your first modification should be a cold air intake and a good quality air filter or shielded pod installation.

Secondly, your exhaust system is due for attention. I would look at getting a full exhaust system, but note one thing. NA Toyota exhaust manifolds (from what I remember this includes 4A ones) are traditionally quite good and there are only minimal gains to be had by replacing them. If you want low 15's then you probably need everythign you can get, but if you're tight on money you might be better off putting it towards the chip as there are better gains to be had there.

The new exhaust you will need wil involve a 'high flow' cat and a mandrel bent exhaust (I would suggest 2¼" or maybe 2½" if you can handle the noise). as for the extractors, if you go this way, you are probably best off talking to Bill Sherwood (or someone equally tall.. er.. I mean experienced with 4A's) for the ideal diameter and design (4->1 or 4->2->1) for your application. Shiny rice tips are optional, but I would suggest against it as they are excess weight, cost more, and don't really do anything except make people like me point and laugh Very Happy

After this, power starts becoming even more expensive. Rather than twiddling the timing I would suggest that you go straight to an aftermarket 'chip' like a Unichip or a Chiptorque chip (unsure if these available). You can go to a full aftermarket management system but that's getting a bit ridiculous cost-wise... even a 'chip' is around the $1k-$1.5k mark.

This will allow someone to tune the fuelling and timing car for the modifications you have made... you may look at running 'colder' spark plugs for more ignition advance, but as long as you get an experienced and enthusiastic tuner then they will be able to point you in the right direction. The hard part is finding someone to help (as you can see from this thread) because most people are not really 'into' drag racing for these tyres of cars.

Beyond the above you need to start looking at cylinder head porting, shaving the cylinder head (increased compression), aftermarket camshafts and adjustable cam gears. Each of these work out quite expensive, with the exception of the cam gears, so it is probably best to get the car tuned on the dyno and see what they reckon.

The link above is quite funny but does highlight an important point - as soon as you start bolting on unnecessary bits and stereos and stuff, the weight goes up and the car goes slow Smile

Wil be interested to hear of your results!
lumpy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: How can I get low 15's from an AE93 SX Seca Wed, 08 September 2004 00:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Good advice from 7M-Brisbane.

But I was being serious about Nitrous Oxide. It's relatively cheap for the power increase, and used properly and safely should get your Seca into the low 15's. It'll be useless on the street but since your stated intention was to run a low 15 I believe that a decent NOS system will get you there. Smile

The other thing I'd do if I was building a fast car again is to cough up the money for a decent ECU (like an Autronic) from the start. Mucking around with the factory one and using piggy-backs and chips and interceptors is a waste of time - it's not that expensive to get a second hand ECU and the benfits will be far greater if you are serious about the car.

oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: How can I get low 15's from an AE93 SX Seca Wed, 08 September 2004 00:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://home.satx.rr.com/eventhorizons/naws.JPG
http://www.wirelessnoodles.org/images/Nawz.jpg
DunkyMonkey
Regular

March 2004
Re: How can I get low 15's from an AE93 SX Seca Wed, 08 September 2004 01:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah thats cool coz we all like to lose our boot space for NOS!!!
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: How can I get low 15's from an AE93 SX Seca Wed, 08 September 2004 02:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You have options:

1. get a GZE.
2. spend $10000 on an NA 4age
3. chop out 50% of the metal from the car
4. get a lighter car

In my 800-900kg AE71, the 100kW motor gets high 15's. Thats a good 300kg lighter than the SX - think about it.

ellen
Occasional Poster

April 2004
Re: How can I get low 15's from an AE93 SX Seca Wed, 08 September 2004 03:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
2 options...

*Get a tow rope, and find a real car to tow u down the 1/4.

*Just get over the whole 4cyl/fwd stage in your life and sell it and buy something real!
Japstang
Regular

September 2004
Re: How can I get low 15's from an AE93 SX Seca Wed, 08 September 2004 14:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey Pugs

You can get a Digital Fuel Adjuster Kit from J Car for $140 - $80 for the Adjuster and about $60 for the Hand Controler and these do the same job as a Unichip but are not a rip off at $1000. I have heard they are pretty good, I have a U13 Bluebird and will be getting one to run on that. They are 112kw stock so with all the usual mods it will up my power a bit and get me close to the 15 sec mark as they run about a 15.8 sec stock. Pm me if you want the web link or the model number etc, they have tested them on WRX,Sti's,Maximas, Lexus and had good results.

THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: How can I get low 15's from an AE93 SX Seca Thu, 09 September 2004 00:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JAPSTANG,

its a pity that these ktis arent even released yet, and nor is the publication to go along with them. I have been building the protypes for Jaycar and can say that they appear pretty good for a budget interceptor option, but of course results only come with a GOOD TUNE.

In fact, i will be selling these kits as complete built units in the future i hope, along with the boost controller, pulse adjuster, temp and volt switches etc etc.
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: How can I get low 15's from an AE93 SX Seca Thu, 09 September 2004 01:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
just do the 4agze converison.. will save u money and heart ache
Japstang
Regular

September 2004
Re: How can I get low 15's from an AE93 SX Seca Thu, 09 September 2004 13:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hopefully these will be released soon, one would hope the info you need would be sold with the kit.
I wonder how long they can classify a product as coming soon tho, when they are released tho I would not mind trialing them, but like you said getting a good Tune is the important thing.
Aust162
Regular

April 2004
Re: How can I get low 15's from an AE93 SX Seca Fri, 10 September 2004 16:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ellen wrote on Wed, 08 September 2004 13:04

2 options...

*Get a tow rope, and find a real car to tow u down the 1/4.

*Just get over the whole 4cyl/fwd stage in your life and sell it and buy something real!

Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes your a dickhead...

Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: How can I get low 15's from an AE93 SX Seca Sat, 11 September 2004 00:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
feel the love people
Alainve
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: How can I get low 15's from an AE93 SX Seca Sat, 11 September 2004 02:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
4AGZE install- $3K if your lucky. 20-30Kw gain
NOS install- $1.5K roughly. whatever gain you want

do the maths NOS is the cheapest easiest power available combined with some good tyres and suspension tweeks will get you low 15's if not faster
the secrest to FWD drag racing is suspension setup to get traction
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: How can I get low 15's from an AE93 SX Seca Sat, 11 September 2004 04:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Alainve wrote on Sat, 11 September 2004 12:14

4AGZE install- $3K if your lucky. 20-30Kw gain...

...the secrest to FWD drag racing is suspension setup to get traction

I agree with the second part but not the first.

On the toymods dyno days, typical SX rollas get 55-65kW at the wheels.
4A-GZE AE92's are getting from 85-100kW at the wheels - with a BUCKETLOAD more torque all over the RPM range!

If you're up for it - n2o is a good option, but of course you wont get to use this power on the street!
dimmy77_03
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: How can I get low 15's from an AE93 SX Seca Sun, 12 September 2004 03:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I reckon you should do the conversion to gze if you want it to be fast on the street not just the track...like witzl said.

If you get caught with NOS connected on the road, you will get raped by the cops Razz

What was you budget anyway? Very Happy
DunkyMonkey
Regular

March 2004
Re: How can I get low 15's from an AE93 SX Seca Sun, 12 September 2004 10:43 Go to previous message
actually the one question that we all seem to be asking is the one that you really need to answer, in order to get a answer here, "how much are you willing to spend?" you tell us that, then i'm sure that there are alot of ppl here that can help you spend your money well. personally the change to 4AGZE wouldbe the conversion that i would push for, however a silver top ~20V~ may be worth a look into, keeping it NA, thats if you don't already have one.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:7M into MA61 cost??
Next Topic:Idle Speed Control Valve (ST165)
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Apr 20 10:30:26 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0074989795684814 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.