Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
TheSX
Occasional Poster

July 2004
4age rebuild Wed, 14 July 2004 10:26 Go to next message
Hey all,

At the moment, ive got the 4age outa my SX in pieces in the garage.
The headgasket or something f%#^ up so out came the head and tonight the block. The gasket was gone.
I dont want to spend money on a gze or anything, dont have time to stuff around trying to workout a conversion, i need a reliable car, getaround car so i decided to give it a good rebuild and drive it into the ground one day in the very distant future.

The plans at the moment is
-fully service the head ( already done)
-service alternator, starter motor
-new clutch, pressure plate and push bearing
-new engine seals
-new engine mounts
-get the block services, hone the cylinders
-new piston rings, big end bearings
-clean/service injectors ( new ones if they are stuffed)

If got 2 questions.
1. Anything else you guys recommend i do now that the engine is in pieces and out of the engine bay?
2. Where can i find all the tension wrench settings for the motor?

Your help will be HUGELY appreciated!

Send a private message to this user    
sik sx
Regular

I supported Toymods

March 2004
Re: 4age rebuild Wed, 14 July 2004 11:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
are you doin all this work yourself?..u can find the torque settings in a haynes or gregory car manual u can pick 1 up from auto barn repco peto stations etc..i suggest u bye one they have ALOT of infomation u will most likly need if u are doing all this work your self
good luck..if things done work out..sell me the car Very Happy
TheSX
Occasional Poster

July 2004
Re: 4age rebuild Thu, 15 July 2004 10:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No one has any suggestions on what else
can be done now that the motor is out?

someone?
SPRINTAH!
Regular

January 2003
Re: 4age rebuild Thu, 15 July 2004 11:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
definatly buy a manual, lots of info.

you should replace the main bearings as well.
get the crank journals looked at.
you might be better off boring the block out to 1st oversize and getting new pistons, a hone alone may make the piston to bore clearance too high ( this is all in the manual too)
you should also replace the head bolts and flywheel bolts.

thats bout it i think, but definatly get a manual, they are priceless

good luck dude
TheSX
Occasional Poster

July 2004
Re: 4age rebuild Tue, 20 July 2004 11:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
slight problem.
the seal on the distributor seems to be shot. theres oil all around ( been like that for a while now)
im trying to get a new seal, but nowhere seems to seel it.
Toyota wont sell the seal on its own, they only sell the whole distributor kit and are asking $900 for it. what a scam.
do any of you guys know anywhere that might sell one?
or am i going to have to find a second hand one at a wreckers or something, which could be just as bad as the one i have?

thanks...
wiso
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: 4age rebuild Tue, 20 July 2004 14:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah I am facing this same problem in my 4age, looking at giving a rebiuld, as far as i can tell you have the list complete, thats all I was planning to do the only other one I can say is new conrod bearing. Confused

Where have you tried getting the dizzy seal from? I can get one on its own from motorspares, either that or see if you can make one Confused
allencr
Regular

May 2002
Re: 4age rebuild Tue, 20 July 2004 15:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
others have posted on club4age, that the seal size is 10 x 20 x 5, and is also part# 3937 Chicago (undecipherable something - sorry)
HighRolla
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: 4age rebuild Tue, 20 July 2004 22:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
TheSX - I've posted here about this prob - with pics (do a search). Go down to a bearing/seal shop. I got mine from CBC bearings and get a seal as allencr is saying but I could only get 7mm thick.

20mm OD x 10mm ID x 7mm thick. ($5.50 if I remember correctly)

THe 7mm thick works better anyway as it has 1mm either side that doesn't sit in the groove on the shaft made by the old seal. (mine had a slight groove, yours may not)

I am talking about the inner seal. There is an outer o-ring (I replaced this twice but then found the problem to be th inner seal). To get to the inner seal you need to take off the cog (not the rotor arm) this involves drilling out the pin etc etc. One from the wreckers will probably be the same as yours and they'll want over 100 for it I'd say.

Ben
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: 4age rebuild Wed, 21 July 2004 00:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah - getting the main crank bearings replaced may be a good idea...do you have details on what was done to the head btw?
TheSX
Occasional Poster

July 2004
Re: 4age rebuild Wed, 21 July 2004 01:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks Highrolla, ill do a search now.
and ill call CBC.
I havent taken the seal out yet, ill do it tonight.
I think ill also be replacing the crank bearings. Now that the enigne is out, i want to do a good job.
The head was given a full service. Getting the block back today i hope.

Thanks!
wiso
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: 4age rebuild Wed, 21 July 2004 15:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey man just wondering how much did it cost for the head service and how much is the block rebuild costing you?
TheSX
Occasional Poster

July 2004
Re: 4age rebuild Wed, 21 July 2004 21:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the head service was $350 i think.
and the block was about the same ( i have the receipts at home) The block looks new. i have to paint it now. Was given a free can of engine enamel in Red.. i think that might look dodgy. Was thinking of painting it silver or black.

i didnt get a chance to take the seal out of the dizzy, but at the moment i think the measurements for the seal are different to those that highrolla gave me. Maybe the dizzys are different? My engine is the 100kw 4age from a ae92 SX hatch ( not the seca)

Cheerio!
tightarse
Newcomer

July 2004
Re: 4age rebuild Thu, 22 July 2004 21:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm replacing head gasket on a 4AFC at the moment and was able to get the corrola nova gregories from the local library for nicks. Second hand bookstores are also a good option.
ranshz
Occasional Poster

July 2004
Re: 4age rebuild Fri, 23 July 2004 10:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You probably know about this site. But if not take a look:

http://www.billzilla.org/4agmods.htm

DR1FTIN
Occasional Poster

July 2004
Re: 4age rebuild Fri, 23 July 2004 12:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
how much are rebuild kits? and do you get everything you need for a rebuild? my mate is looking at rebuilding his ke70 4age red top
HighRolla
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: 4age rebuild Fri, 23 July 2004 14:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mine is the 86kw from ae82...I would have thought they would be same seal though. (You are talking about the inner seal right - and not the o ring on the outside cause that will definately be different Confused

The seal on the inside I am talking about.... you will only get to it after taking the cog off the end of the dizzy and removing the shaft..you couldn't really guess its size without dismantling the thing. You may get a measurement on the shaft which will give you inner ID but that's about it.

HighRolla
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: 4age rebuild Fri, 23 July 2004 14:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
scroll down in this post to see pics etc.

http://forums.toymods.org.au/index.php?t=msg&t h=27606&rid=4423&S=5c9148b59b3d69f86236785 9761a1607
TheSX
Occasional Poster

July 2004
Re: 4age rebuild Mon, 26 July 2004 04:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah, it was the inside seal that i was talking about, not the O-ring...
The seal that you pointed me to actually fits, even though its 7mm. I was just a litle confused before i totally took the shaft out of mine, as they were different...
But the internal seal size is the same.
The block is now back in the engine bay. Its slowly coming together.....

HighRolla
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: 4age rebuild Mon, 26 July 2004 06:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sounds good mate. So you got the seal?

Good luck with the engine building.

Are you considering going GZE pistons - at a cost of about 80 each - say up to 400 total you can have a motor capable of handling quite a bit of boost - although in NA you may loose power as the Comp ratio will be down.

As far as I see it most of the internals of your red top are similar to the GZE bar the pistons. Waiting for correction on thsis Surprised
TheSX
Occasional Poster

July 2004
Re: 4age rebuild Thu, 29 July 2004 04:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
HI All,

I have already posted in the parts wanted, but im after a knock sensor for my rebuild. The one i have is stuffed.
Any of you guys have any or know where i can get one from?

Thanks...
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: 4age rebuild Thu, 29 July 2004 04:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
go second hand on the knock sensor mate they are a rort from Toyota
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: 4age rebuild Thu, 29 July 2004 04:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dude here are some pictures you might find interesting from my recent AE92 100kw 4AGE rebuild

I would get new bearings if I was you.. and rings too.. are you getting the bores honed?

Anyway.. lots of pictures from me and my mates recent rebuild here

http://goodshopping.com.au/celica/rollarebuild/Pag e1.html

TheSX
Occasional Poster

July 2004
Re: 4age rebuild Thu, 29 July 2004 04:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cool..
ill ring around somewhere see if i can get one..
yeah, toyota want $250 for one.... RIP OFF
yep, new bearings, and rings...
Bores are already honed, part of the full service...

ill take a look at pics now
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: 4age rebuild Thu, 29 July 2004 04:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think we paid $40 for our second hand (working fine) knock sensor
thevelvetgreasemonkey
Occasional Poster

January 2004
Re: 4age rebuild Thu, 29 July 2004 07:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey Rob what pistons did you use in your rebuild? They don't seem to have a raised dome on them, are they the ones available from ACL? Nice pics by the way i found them quite usefull.
Keep on truckin!......................Chris
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: 4age rebuild Thu, 29 July 2004 07:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thanks mate.. glad you like 'em.. they represent a LOT of work heheeh

no, but glad they help

I think they were ACL ones actually.. got them through Dominator (toymods sponsor)

They are slightly oversize (so SLIGHT boring on the block too!), with the crank having to be machined to it's limit with the biggest possible bearings too! eek! But it goes like a gun now.

TRD head gasket too!

Apexi Extractors + Secondaries all the way to the cat! woooooo

Edit: DON'T FORGET THE SECOND PAGE OF PICS!

[Updated on: Thu, 29 July 2004 07:12]

HighRolla
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: 4age rebuild Thu, 29 July 2004 07:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
How much were the ACL pistons Rob?
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: 4age rebuild Thu, 19 August 2004 06:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
HighRolla

sorry for the delay! I couldn't remember the price and kept forgetting to ask my mate

I just asked him today..

he reckoned they cost us about $220... Just the pistons, not rods or anything
TheSX
Occasional Poster

July 2004
Re: 4age rebuild Fri, 03 September 2004 23:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey all..

Well the 4age is all put back together and back in the SX.
Couple of post rebuild questions..

1. How many k's should i drive the thing at a normal pace to let it settle in, ie not reving it too much, etc..

2. Is there anything that i have to do to the ECU? ie reset it?

3. Its got a new clutch and pressure plate. When im driving say in 3rd and coming to a slow down, i disengage clutch, put foot on brake to start slowing, put into 2nd and as i let the clutch pedal out and use it to slow down further, the car does a rather large shaking/shuttering.. However, when i do the same thing but try and syncronise the revs by tapping the accelerator before putting into 2nd, it doesnt happen. Is this just the new clutch/pressure plate that has to settle??

4. What is the optimal timing for the SX in your experience? slightly advanced perhaps? how much?

anyways, help on this and any other ‘pointers’ will be appreciated to get the car finally finished and ensure that it settles properly. Theres been alot of work done to it, and lots of time spent on it, it would be a shame to stuff something up now…

Thanks
wiso
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: 4age rebuild Mon, 06 September 2004 14:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah I was wondering the same things so I asked the doudes who did all the machining work on my block, said rouglhy 3000kms to run in, they also told me not to let it idle for long periods of time, and don't go on a long trip down the coast to run it in, they said vary your revs a little and load it up every now and then, especially if you do go on a long trip, make sure you load her up up hills and every now and then on flats otherwise its just like idleing.

could be just your clutch settling, is it a standard clutch or heavy duty (I know I mean pressure plate Razz )

hopefully my freshly rebuilt 4a will be on the road in a week Very Happy
TheSX
Occasional Poster

July 2004
Re: 4age rebuild Tue, 07 September 2004 10:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cool... looks like it will be a while before i clock up 3000kms...

the clutch isnt a heavy duty one.. its new aswell as the pressure plate. but i think we figured out yesterday what is wrong. 2 engine mounts were replaced wih new ones, but the front engine mount wasnt, looked fine.
but now it looks like it is super stiff and is preventing the enging from moving properly, causeing the vibrations through the car...
ill have to change it soon...
apart from that, its running beautiful and smooth......

mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 4age rebuild Tue, 07 September 2004 23:03 Go to previous message
Has anyone suggested replacing the water pump?? 4A pumps suck at the best of times, and I definately wouldn't put one back for another 10 years...

Oh, and the cam belt is kinda obvious Very Happy

[Updated on: Tue, 07 September 2004 23:04]

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:tail shaft pieces
Next Topic:ems stinger 3 what r they like
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Tue May 7 02:24:47 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0075521469116211 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.