Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
indian
Forums Junkie

March 2004
icon10.gif  1g-gte AFM OPTIONS Wed, 14 July 2004 05:09 Go to next message
people , anyone here now of anyother kind of afm that will be compatible with the 1g-gte afm

im on a little project here Shocked any help appreciated

cheers
  Send a private message to this user    
dcving
Regular

May 2002

Re: 1g-gte AFM OPTIONS Wed, 14 July 2004 05:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the question is why, when the stadard one will handle close too 200rwkw
indian
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: 1g-gte AFM OPTIONS Wed, 14 July 2004 05:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ITS NOT FOR POWER INCREASE AT ALL

ok hereswhat its for

car has vane type afm , i want to change to somethig without the vane -- hotwire maybe or something similar that will work on the 1g-gte
reason

i want to see if that will give the car the flutter noise thats coming fronm the turbo compressor surge
guessing that the vane from the afm will block out the sound i wanted to chanfge it

there , thats the whole reason , of trying to find out weter its the blitz bov that makes the noiseor weter the turbo makes it (compressor surge)

cheers
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: 1g-gte AFM OPTIONS Wed, 14 July 2004 05:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
factory 1G-gte ECU only knows about flap/vane-type afm.

if you wanted ot run hotwire, vortex or other AFM you'll be needing an aftermarket ecu.

is a lot of money just to identify source of compressor surge and flutter sound?

what about different BoV and/or a better boost control method (e.g. using one of celicamad's units unstead of the uncontrolled factory setup)?
indian
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: 1g-gte AFM OPTIONS Wed, 14 July 2004 05:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
HMMM ive lost u at the othe options bit

but all im after is the fluttering noise te car makes when the compresor surge happens , will the noise stuill happen with the vane type afm >?????????????????????????????

thats what i want to know

the only noise my car makes when i back off the throttle is a high pitched squeal,whistle sound

and no i dont have any bov on it , car is stock as a rock

[Updated on: Wed, 14 July 2004 05:51]

Bugman
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 1g-gte AFM OPTIONS Wed, 14 July 2004 05:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if you want to remove the noise. fit the factory air box in all its entirity.
indian
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: 1g-gte AFM OPTIONS Wed, 14 July 2004 06:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
FACTORY AIRBOX IS THE ONE IT HAS ATM ,car is a stocker im after the fluttering noise but instead get a whistling noise when lettin g of the accelerator pedal when on boost
BLK1GGTE
Regular

March 2004
Re: 1g-gte AFM OPTIONS Wed, 14 July 2004 06:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah i have been wondering about this to steve. How do we get the fluttering. I know and aftermarket cooler won't do it either. What if you raise the boost? I don't know this yet as i am in the procces of boosting mein, have to buy the celica mad controller first Evil or Very Mad . Do some BOV's make the flutter noise??? Anyone have an answer?
indian
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: 1g-gte AFM OPTIONS Wed, 14 July 2004 06:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah man thats the answer im looking for as well , and thought might as well see for myself ,

im convinced now that the sound doesnt come from the bov at all , all the bov sound somewhta similar

ie -- none of them give outh the flutter noise
its defenitly coming from the turbo

but all th other cars that have the flutter ie silvia , skyline , 180 , they all have hotwire afm , ie nothing iside the afm in terms if restrictions

where as we have the piece of metal in there (vane )
thats the only thing thats stopping our cars from doing the fluttering im guessing thats why i wanted to see if we can get a different afm

well anyone else knowhow to get the flutter on a 1g-gte with the stock afm

or s there an actual bov tht makes the flutter noise Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad
ke382TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1g-gte AFM OPTIONS Wed, 14 July 2004 06:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok here are some things I have found while making changes to my car (4AGTE) I know it's a different engine but the principles are still the same.

Full factory ECU on mine (vane type AFM) compressor surge (the fluttering noise) was common, after switch to aftermarket ECU removal of AFM no other changes and the compresser surge disappeared (gained significant midrange power/torque at same boost level too).

The blow off valve does not make the fluttering noise when you lift of the pedal, instead this occurs when the blow-off valve is not opening or is opening in a delayed manner (i.e. fluttering noise of compressor surge then BOV opens and vents the excess pressure). The fluttering is compressor surge, an effective BOV set up correctly should eliminate this fluttering on throttle lift off. I have been in cars where the owners have thought the fluttering WAS the BOV, they didnt realise that there BOV was not even opening Rolling Eyes

Compressor surge on accelleration can be most simply described as being caused by the turbo compressor creating more "air" than the engine can consume thus buffeting the compressor with the excess "air" and causing the fluttering sound you hear.

This whistling noise on throttle lift off has got me confused though?

Oh yeah, high flowed turbos are more prone to compressor surge if they have had the compressor wheel upsized and not the exhaust wheel.

Don't know if I answered any questions but I hope I have shed some light on the situation.

[Updated on: Wed, 14 July 2004 06:26]

wilbo666
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1g-gte AFM OPTIONS Wed, 14 July 2004 06:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oh, so you want compressor surge? Rolling Eyes

I'm confused...why would you want this (are you after a 'cool' sound?? Confused), I was under the impression that compressor surge was not a good thing (hell BOV's are meant to eliminate compressor surge) it shortens the life of the turbo.....

Cheers
Wilbo
indian
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: 1g-gte AFM OPTIONS Wed, 14 July 2004 06:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
farkkkkkkkkkkkkk thats what i was exactly trying to say spot on mate

bov not openin and pressure running into turbo creating flutter

and it worked with the vane , sweeeeeeeeeeeeeet
nowif u didnt mind ke382TG what boost were u running

andyea the whistkling noise , that got me confused as well
i think its the air escaping through the tiny little vent in the afm just under the vane so the air doesnt get registered ,
apparently that hole is for the compressor surge to be vented withought being registered by the afm ,

but then again if thas the case how come it didnt make the fluttering noise

another one could be theres a leak somewhere , but the car idles well and runswell albeit beng a bit sluggish
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: 1g-gte AFM OPTIONS Wed, 14 July 2004 06:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i was listing other kinds (not brands) of AFM meters that i know of....

and i had read this bit :
Quote:

there , thats the whole reason , of trying to find out weter its the blitz bov that makes the noiseor weter the turbo makes it (compressor surge)

as meaning that you had a Blitz Bov that was fluttering when you took foot off accel pedal.

maybe you have a leak in the intake somewhere?

is it a metalic scraping sound or high-pressure air squeal (like balloon or leaking tyre valve)?

Maybe other 1g owners know about loss of noise attenuation when removing AFM?

my guess is that the AFM will have minimal impact on fluttering sounds from compressor surge... if anything the noise might be louder.
indian
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: 1g-gte AFM OPTIONS Wed, 14 July 2004 06:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeahs its a high pitched squeal like this piieeeeeeeeeeeeee, well kinda similar

has got me confused

it defenitly sound like air from somewhere but havent a clue from where its escaping

how do i check for an airleak , as the noise is only heard when the car is boosted and then let go off the accelerator

[Updated on: Wed, 14 July 2004 06:37]

thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: 1g-gte AFM OPTIONS Wed, 14 July 2004 06:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
indian wrote on Wed, 14 July 2004 16:32

andyea the whistkling noise , that got me confused as well
i think its the air escaping through the tiny little vent in the afm just under the vane so the air doesnt get registered ,
apparently that hole is for the compressor surge to be vented withought being registered by the afm ,

ummm with the AFM being ahead of the turbo, compressor surge is going to be felt downstream of the turbo (e.g. in intercooler, throttle, etc) not before it... that hole is probably to drain moisture out of the unit.

me thinks you have leak somewhere...

anyway - if you run a BoV dumping to atmosphere to get sound then you'll be running rich as the ECU doesn't allow for air to be lost from the induction system - if you do want a BoV then it should plumb back into the intake before the turbos but after the AFM
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: 1g-gte AFM OPTIONS Wed, 14 July 2004 06:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
check for leak by spraying with mildly soapy water the nlook for bubbles? or get length of garden hose or tube and use a stethascope to listne for sucking sounds at idle...

a good start would be tightening up all the clamps on the piping too?
ke382TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1g-gte AFM OPTIONS Wed, 14 July 2004 06:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I must say this thread is getting a little confusing but lets push on and hope that progress is made.

Boost when the compressor surge was occurring on factory ECU was about anywhere from 9psi - 15psi.

Now I run up to 20psi without a hint of compressor surge and on my low boost setting of 13psi not a hint of compressor surge either.

The whistling noise is odd, I am not familiar with the 1GGTE setup detail so I might leave that for some others.

I can only recommend (as others have):

Make sure there are no leaks

Ensure the blow off valve is opening when the throttle is lifted off (and the car was making positive manifold pressure just before you lift off i.e. you are accelerating hard).

Thechuckster is right too compressor surge occurs between the turbo compressor and the intake manifold. To get the loud whistle that may be a leak it would also have to be between the turbo compressor and the throttle body butterfly.

[Updated on: Wed, 14 July 2004 06:46]

Bugman
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 1g-gte AFM OPTIONS Wed, 14 July 2004 06:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ie anybody else confused??!?!

do you want a fluttering noise??

if so fit a fluttering style BOV like a HKS SSQ.

if you ar ewondering what the noise is on a stock motor when you come off the accelerator when on boost. it's compressor surge and it's not such a great thing. it's heard even more when you run a pod style filter and I'm sure it'd be even worse if you didnt have a flap style afm.. but to remove the afm for more noise from compressor surge is stupid...

What do you want?
Bugman
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 1g-gte AFM OPTIONS Wed, 14 July 2004 06:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the flutter noise your hearing from silvies and all them sorts of cars are most definatly a sequential BOV like the HKS SSQ. designed to give that flutter.
indian
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: 1g-gte AFM OPTIONS Wed, 14 July 2004 06:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
LOLLLLLLLLLLL SOZ TOGETALL OF YALL CONFUSED

ok i bought a blitz super sound bov assuming that it makes the fluttering kind of noise

i havent installed it yet cause i was told and heard one that just made the normal pshhhttt noise

so i was wondering how can i make that noise when someone told ne its compressor surge and is not very harmfull to the turbo and wil give theflutter noise ,

so thats what im after the flutter noise

i have the blitz bov

if thats any help
Bugman
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 1g-gte AFM OPTIONS Wed, 14 July 2004 06:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
get the HKS SSQ it'll give you the flutter noise.
indian
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: 1g-gte AFM OPTIONS Wed, 14 July 2004 06:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
whqt the hks worth , and whts it look like , is i the very latest one got pic of his fluttering bov
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: 1g-gte AFM OPTIONS Wed, 14 July 2004 06:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if you like the sound go for it!

personally i liked the sound of the two turbos spooling up (Kirk's RA28 as it kept overtaking me)

but make sure you don't earn the tag LOUDRICEBOY for doing this to your car... Cool Laughing

(edited to not be so harsh)

[Updated on: Wed, 14 July 2004 06:58]

indian
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: 1g-gte AFM OPTIONS Wed, 14 July 2004 06:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lolllllllll i dun mind i just like the noise it makes always been fascinated by it ,

people dont get me for it Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad
ke382TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1g-gte AFM OPTIONS Wed, 14 July 2004 06:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MMMMkkay, I am clearer now.

As stated, get a HKS supersequential BOV, that will give you the correct, non turbo harming fluttering sound you want. Most BOV just make the normal Psshhhhhhh, but like said before, if you run the AFM and a venting BOV be prepared for a little black smoke and the occassional backfire when the BOV does it's thing and the ECU doesn't know what to do.

As for compressor surge, it's usually only heard inside the car anyway, not from the outside and you DO NOT want compressor surge! No one thinks it's cool.

I am going home, my head hurts Rolling Eyes

No one is angry it was just a bit confusing and hey, if you don't ask questions you can't learn Very Happy

It's your car, do what you want with it, in the end you are the one who has to be happy with it.

[Updated on: Wed, 14 July 2004 07:02]

indian
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: 1g-gte AFM OPTIONS Wed, 14 July 2004 07:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thanks all for the input , very much appreciate it , so i must getthe hks valve toget the flutter damn now i have to go and sell the blitz one Sad
wilbo666
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1g-gte AFM OPTIONS Wed, 14 July 2004 07:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm worried Rolling Eyes, compressor surge is not a good thing! If you just want a fancy noise, get a BOV, but bear in mind that if it doesn't recirculate (i.e. vent back into the system) the Air Flow Meter/ecu will not be really happy. Smile

btw try and work on your English skills a bit Very Happy
(hell the forum does have a spell checker... Confused )

Cheers
Wilbo
Fattony
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1g-gte AFM OPTIONS Wed, 14 July 2004 08:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Um look if you are still running twin turbos you will get shit all noise. There are many cars that do not utilise BOV's and the turbos on these cars have lasted years. As long as you dont boost the shit out of it and back spin the wheel you shoudl not have a problem. And last but not least YOU WILL NOT get any noise except for a slight air sounding flutter if you manage to run a hot wire afm in front of your turbo. So do not be expecting a high pitch tutututututututu out of your turbo if you manage to run a hotwire infront of your turbo. I have much expirence in getting these noises (thats what happens when you hang around vlturbos to much) and can say a lot more than just afm goes into getting such noises.
Bugman
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 1g-gte AFM OPTIONS Wed, 14 July 2004 09:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bah. you can hav a loud BOV, Craigzee had some HKS BOV fitted, not a SSQ. and running 10psi it was really loud. completely stock 1g-gte gen 3
Testa_Dura
Regular

January 2004

Re: 1g-gte AFM OPTIONS Wed, 14 July 2004 09:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I just converted my 1g to single turbo and it now makes those flutter noises your talking about. Its not like the noises you on vl's but its there. I know what your trying to do because i was experimenting with it myself not long ago, and the twin turbo setup will show you no love. So unless you go single turbo you might have to be content with what youve got.
indian
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: 1g-gte AFM OPTIONS Wed, 14 July 2004 22:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hmm welll thats what i was thinking as well maybe cause its the twin turbo , i dunno what a vl turbo flutter sound slike never heard one yet,

hwo the car going with the single conversion mate

also fellas , will the car run rich if the piping has leaks in it cause mines running pretty rich when u floor the car like heaops of smoke out the back , i dunno if its actually fuel or smoke from blowby as i seen some oil in the oil filter
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1g-gte AFM OPTIONS Wed, 14 July 2004 22:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
indian wrote on Thu, 15 July 2004 08:40

as i seen some oil in the oil filter

Well you'd hope so!
indian
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: 1g-gte AFM OPTIONS Wed, 14 July 2004 22:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sorry was meant to be air filter Confused Confused Confused Confused Confused
punkdefender
Regular

May 2002

Re: 1g-gte AFM OPTIONS Thu, 15 July 2004 05:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I know what Testa_Dura is talking about coz when I did my single turbo conversion I get the flutter noise when I suddenly let go of the throttle, if I ease off then i dont get that noise. Planning to get the plumb back bov done soon..
Fattony
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1g-gte AFM OPTIONS Thu, 15 July 2004 07:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Punkdefender: You can get a flutter noise out of a single turbo 1g with the afm, but its a piss weak air sounding flutter. If you have heard many vl owners have a high pitched noise flutter sound (e.gtutututututututu) it cannot be attained with the with the 1ggte running a stock computer. End of story and if you think you can get these noises out of it, you have misinterpreted what me or Testa Dura are talking about.
punkdefender
Regular

May 2002

Re: 1g-gte AFM OPTIONS Thu, 15 July 2004 07:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well I don't know how loud the flutter noise is suppose to be, but I was stating the experience I had with my setup... end of story..
exquisit
Regular

May 2003
Re: 1g-gte AFM OPTIONS Thu, 15 July 2004 18:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok i think if you want the flutering sound all you need to do is tighten the screw on top of the bov
my friend has a blitz blah blah blah bov and wanted to make the same sound as the ssq so all i did was tighten the top screw and instead of a psssht it was a tu tu tu tu
i think thats what your tryin to ask right??
dunno how good it is for the turbo and the car tho....but who cares....not my car
Smiley =
Fattony
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1g-gte AFM OPTIONS Fri, 16 July 2004 06:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thats because you tighten the screw in the BOV makes it thighter, hence takes more boost to open it, boost which that car was not obviously making. So all that was happening was compressor stall the BOV wasnt doing shit.
HKS_TRD
Regular

September 2002
Re: 1g-gte AFM OPTIONS Sat, 17 July 2004 02:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
YOu can always use a HKS VPC to run the car with no air flow meter at all
CrAiGzEE
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 1g-gte AFM OPTIONS Sat, 17 July 2004 08:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
just put some sort of pod filter on ya afm, then just snap ya feet off the acelerator realy fast and you will get the sound
Fattony
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1g-gte AFM OPTIONS Sun, 18 July 2004 08:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thats a ghey sound though
indian
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: 1g-gte AFM OPTIONS Sun, 18 July 2004 22:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sajeewa how much the conversion set u back man, i might do the same thing soon if my twins decide to pack up

cheers
indian
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: 1g-gte AFM OPTIONS Sun, 18 July 2004 22:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
HKS_TRD wrote on Sat, 17 July 2004 12:36

YOu can always use a HKS VPC to run the car with no air flow meter at all

what the hell is the hks vpc Shocked
EvilJack
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

September 2002

Re: 1g-gte AFM OPTIONS Tue, 07 September 2004 01:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://www.i-m-racing.com/hksvpcandgcc.html
indian
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: 1g-gte AFM OPTIONS Tue, 07 September 2004 01:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
LOLLLL PRICEEEYYYYYYYYYYY
punkdefender
Regular

May 2002

Re: 1g-gte AFM OPTIONS Tue, 07 September 2004 02:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The single turbo conversion set me back around $1800, but I was lucky to find the manifold for around $200 on ebay. Supraman sells the whole kit for around $1500 from memory and probably another $1000 to fit it. I made 179 rwkw on the last toymods dyno meet.
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: 1g-gte AFM OPTIONS Tue, 07 September 2004 08:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Indian i got the turbo flutter noise from just putting a POD filter on my car, now i have the BOV it has diminished which is good becuase turbo flutter is bad, and its what a BOV is meant to stop
indian
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: 1g-gte AFM OPTIONS Tue, 07 September 2004 22:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah most people get the flurtter sound with a pod filter , usually the vane type afm which we have in the older soarer restricts the sound , cause of the flap in the afm

thats why the silvias and skylines dont have em , cause they have the hotwire tyope afm which is straight through

but again even with the stock bov setup and only a pod filter u still get the flutter noise , as u did

so in reality even thought the bov is there to stop it it stil happens , but we cant hear it cause the standard airbox is designed to be quiet

but the minute a pod filter is on the noise happens and also the uction noise increses

might try a pod filter , also how the bov going now i avent had time to put mine in yet

sajeewa good power figure there mate must be enjoying it , the conversuion price isnt too bad

cheers

[Updated on: Tue, 07 September 2004 22:48]

MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: 1g-gte AFM OPTIONS Tue, 07 September 2004 23:36 Go to previous message
yeah my bov is going good, its not too loud and it serves its purpose, so the 5-0 dont pay much attention too me, which is kinda pointless now considering how loud my exhaust is at full throttle... Rolling Eyes

Pod filter is the first upgrade i would do anyway...
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:1g into t-18
Next Topic:tail shaft pieces
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Tue May 21 13:22:24 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.010487079620361 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.