Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Tank
Regular

June 2002

icon1.gif  The 1G-GTE Thu, 06 February 2003 00:06 Go to next message
Hey this is one for the 1G-GTE guru's out there. Um form what i can some up the 1G-GTE came in 3 gererations, right ? Anyway what is the differance between the generation? Which is the best ?. Got onto an american forum and they said that a certain generation (not sure which one) seems to seize up 1 of the turbo's all the time, does anyone knoe which one it is? What year did each generation come out in ?.

Any help would be a cool

Later

[Updated on: Thu, 06 February 2003 00:07]

Send a private message to this user    
Helmann
Regular

July 2002
Re: The 1G-GTE Thu, 06 February 2003 00:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
There are 3 gens og 1g engines.
There is also a faq on this site telling the differences.
Never heard of a turbo seizure on them. Only heard of blown turbo when boost is turned up too high.
Gen 3 is the best.
here is the link to the article
http://www.toymods.org.au/1g_versions.html
rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: The 1G-GTE Thu, 06 February 2003 00:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i doubt there are any more than a few 1G-GTE's in america so asking them for advice on this engine wouldnt be the best idea
Tank
Regular

June 2002

Re: The 1G-GTE Thu, 06 February 2003 01:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you say so Very Happy
Looks like 3rd gen be the way to go, How much more do they cost for an half cut? all 1G-GTE come with an auto don't they ? i guess the usual gears boxes will bolt up with the right adapter plate
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: The 1G-GTE Thu, 06 February 2003 01:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Its quite easy to get a manual cut. I think most of the Gen 3's came from the GA70 Supra's and I haven't seen much of a price difference between them and others.
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
icon1.gif  Re: The 1G-GTE Thu, 06 February 2003 06:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I don't think the importers know the difference in the generations unless they've been on here... So there won't be any price difference...

1G-GTEs came attached to autos and also manuals (W58).
Bugman
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: The 1G-GTE Thu, 06 February 2003 07:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
just ask what color the ecu plugs are.. easiest way of finding out..
dcving
Regular

May 2002

Re: The 1G-GTE Thu, 06 February 2003 22:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what are the actual differances between the gen2 & gen3 1gs, as ive noticed at the dyno days the gen2 1gs with 3 inch exoust,cooler & boost mods mine included are making around the 110kw mark at the back wheels where as the gen3s are making 140 to 150kw at the treads. that seems to be a lot 30 to 40kw at the treads with practically the same mods.
im actually running an aftermarket comp with coil pack instead of the dizzy, is there aproblem with it such as using the wrong coil pack or something (its actually off a 6cyl falcon) i noticed gold28 and other gen 2s are making around that 110kw mark, what mods & power figures are other people with gen2s making?
it just seems to be a lot of power differance between the two models is that normal or do i have a problem??????? Confused Confused
Bugman
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: The 1G-GTE Fri, 07 February 2003 00:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hard to compare ofcourse unless it's done right after one another but you still get an indication, my stock standard gen3 put down 124rwKW, maybe the ignition/fueling maps are better on the gen3?

p.s. I am now chasing an air leak aswell.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: The 1G-GTE Fri, 07 February 2003 01:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Does anyone here have a Gen2 1GGTE? Did you get it from a front-cut?

If so, would I be able to get the model numbers, so its easy when I want to go get parts from Toyota, wanna change some seals and the timing belt before the engine goes in.
gold28
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: The 1G-GTE Fri, 07 February 2003 02:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My Gen 2 1G (ex GA70 Supra) is all stock except for a pod filter and it put down 111.4kW on the dyno. Taking into account driveline losses, that's about what it is supposed to do.

Boost is std 9psi
Darkstar
Regular

January 2004
Re: The 1G-GTE Mon, 06 September 2004 04:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What are differences in the long motors between the 3 gens?? I know that the turbo and ecu's are different but how about the head and block, any differences??
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: The 1G-GTE Mon, 06 September 2004 04:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
On a similar note, did the 1st gen 1G-GTE's ever come with an Air/Air intercooler setup or only water/air?
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: The 1G-GTE Mon, 06 September 2004 04:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No one can fully tell the differences. As far as I can tell, the Gen2 is basically the Gen1 with the air-air and a smidge more boost. The ECU's have the same pinouts.
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: The 1G-GTE Mon, 06 September 2004 04:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm really wondering what my 1G-GTE will boost to.. it is air/air but the plug colours point to 1st gen...

Maybe you're right, 1st and 2nd gen are the same besides the cooling level and boost level.
indian
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: The 1G-GTE Mon, 06 September 2004 04:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
my stocker soarer gz20 - 1988 model automatic generation 2 1g-gte (running 9 psi) put out 92 kw on the dyno
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: The 1G-GTE Mon, 06 September 2004 04:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Define what it will boost to?
EvilJack
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

September 2002

Re: The 1G-GTE Mon, 06 September 2004 04:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i have a gen 1 1ggte with air/air cooler, but i dont know the history of it so its probably been converted

HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: The 1G-GTE Mon, 06 September 2004 04:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
justcallmefrank wrote on Mon, 06 September 2004 14:12

Define what it will boost to?

ie. 7psi or 9psi...

I hope 9psi, and at least 100kW ATW.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: The 1G-GTE Mon, 06 September 2004 06:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You mean what boost it makes stock?
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: The 1G-GTE Mon, 06 September 2004 07:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeh, pretty much.
RA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: The 1G-GTE Mon, 06 September 2004 07:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think the gen3's ran 11 or so psi from the factory

Tim.
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: The 1G-GTE Mon, 06 September 2004 07:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gen 1: 7psi
gen 2: 9psi
gen 3: 11psi

MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: The 1G-GTE Mon, 06 September 2004 08:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
then what are the ct12's capable of?

Is the boost defined from the turbos or from the computer, becuase i have an inkling the turbos going onto my motor are from a 2nd Gen...

Is boost cut higher on a 3rd Gen motor becuase they start at higher levels?? Confused
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: The 1G-GTE Mon, 06 September 2004 10:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've heard of people running 14psi all day. But like with anything in life, it's luck of the draw.

The engine itself has huge potential, if you're willing to give it some $'s
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: The 1G-GTE Mon, 06 September 2004 11:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well i get three months warrantee again so i might test out those limits...

Any idea what the boost cut is?
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: The 1G-GTE Mon, 06 September 2004 11:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
As far as I know it doesn't have a boost cut persay. The turbos will run out of puff before you hit it.
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: The 1G-GTE Mon, 06 September 2004 11:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Fuel cut will happen first methinks. On a cold night especially, and it wont be nice from what i've heard.

Wouldn't upping the boost void the warrenty?
Siktoy ra23
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: The 1G-GTE Mon, 06 September 2004 11:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have a gen3 t only had 9psi standard not 11psi as everyone says they should have.
also I am running 16-18psi all day long(depending on the air temp) and havent had a problem yet.
and it makes 166rwkw

BEN
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: The 1G-GTE Mon, 06 September 2004 11:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
HyDrA wrote on Mon, 06 September 2004 21:02

Fuel cut will happen first methinks. On a cold night especially, and it wont be nice from what i've heard.

Wouldn't upping the boost void the warrenty?

He doesnt know im gonna be upping the boost to 14PSI Wink

Siktoy what mods have you got to develop 166 rwkw??

Currently i have just a 3" stainless steel exhaust, filter and boost?

have you midified your AFM or computer???

And justcallmefrank where do you think the turbos will run out of puff??
dispatcher
Regular

July 2002
Re: The 1G-GTE Mon, 06 September 2004 12:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
How do you modify your AFM ?

cheers
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: The 1G-GTE Mon, 06 September 2004 12:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dispatcher wrote on Mon, 06 September 2004 20:18

How do you modify your AFM ?

Don't. Bandaid solutions don't fix anything properly.

The turbos being so small are going to be really bending over for the law of diminishing returns above 14-15psi.
Siktoy ra23
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: The 1G-GTE Mon, 06 September 2004 13:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MR1G
It is a stock engine with an EMS computer

The turbos are only good for about 5800rpm on 17psi then they run out of boost and drop to 14psi
CrAiGzEE
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: The 1G-GTE Mon, 06 September 2004 23:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Siktoy ra23 wrote on Mon, 06 September 2004 21:35

I have a gen3 t only had 9psi standard not 11psi as everyone says they should have.
also I am running 16-18psi all day long(depending on the air temp) and havent had a problem yet.
and it makes 166rwkw

BEN

nark is the only one that wreckons 11psi, i get 10

justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: The 1G-GTE Tue, 07 September 2004 01:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Maybe it's because the water/air has less restriction? Confused
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: The 1G-GTE Tue, 07 September 2004 01:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Siktoy ra23 wrote on Mon, 06 September 2004 22:30

MR1G
It is a stock engine with an EMS computer

The turbos are only good for about 5800rpm on 17psi then they run out of boost and drop to 14psi

so your power curve falls aftet 5800rpm Confused

So would you reccomend leaving it on around 15psi?
indian
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: The 1G-GTE Tue, 07 September 2004 01:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
IM pretty sure boost cut is at 14 psi on stock setup - u can always try though , turbos run out of puff around here , anything after is prob wate of time and killing the turbo more quickly

also note that the damn intercooler piping is not the very best in the bottom part of the bumper , it looks nice and fat at the top near the radiator on both sides biut gets to about half the size further down ,

aftermarket ecu the boost cut will be eliminated , so will the speed limiter at 187 km/hr ,
indian
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: The 1G-GTE Tue, 07 September 2004 01:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
also another thing , will the spark plug lead be useless or worn if the car has not been in use for about 3 years , and has been sitting outside in the backyard in the shitty melbourne weather , with no covering of any sort to protect it

cheers
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: The 1G-GTE Tue, 07 September 2004 01:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
speed limit is at 180km/h Rolling Eyes

Laughing

indian
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: The 1G-GTE Tue, 07 September 2004 01:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hmmm my old imported exa went up to 187 and no more soi guessed it be 187
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: The 1G-GTE Tue, 07 September 2004 02:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thats probably where the EXA gave up, the GZ20 will smack into 180kph and just sit there.
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: The 1G-GTE Tue, 07 September 2004 02:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My celica xx with 1G-GE maxxed out at 180KM/h... it just reached 180km/h and stopped pulling Razz It had more in it too, probably would have hit 210km/h easily enough.

I wonder what'll happen with the 1G-GTE... I do believe I have made sure there are no wires connected relating to speed...
indian
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: The 1G-GTE Tue, 07 September 2004 02:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
WELL i kinda backed off a bit, car was flying off any little bump in the road also used the fifth gear which was a no for top speed ,

i think the ecu is programmed for the 180 stop

my gz20 has been upto 157 then started vibrating , so backed off i think its the diff the center bearing has a bit of play in it

also any ideas abot the sparyk plugs guys

[Updated on: Tue, 07 September 2004 02:13]

justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: The 1G-GTE Tue, 07 September 2004 02:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hydra, considering Nark reckons his still had pull at 220kph..it'd be interesting Smile
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: The 1G-GTE Tue, 07 September 2004 02:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I had mine go to 180kph on the last toymods cruise, i reckon i could have easily squeezed another 35-40 kph out of the car, easily
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: The 1G-GTE Tue, 07 September 2004 02:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well, removing the speed limiter isnt hard it would seem...

Can anyone spot something in the following image that would probably be the limiter?

http://www.users.on.net/~hydra/cars/celixx/images/supra09.jpg

Smile
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: The 1G-GTE Tue, 07 September 2004 02:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Haha, the lovely 180kph speedo? Smile
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: The 1G-GTE Tue, 07 September 2004 02:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
A speedo has never stopped me before! Twisted Evil

You're very close, look harder...
indian
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: The 1G-GTE Tue, 07 September 2004 02:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
firstly why te hell is the dash like that ,wha car is it ,

secondly , the speed limier woulld be built into the ecu id say , it wouldnt be on the dash lolllllllllllllllll
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: The 1G-GTE Tue, 07 September 2004 02:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GA61 Celica XX

Speed sensor is in the dash from memory after looking at the cruise control.
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: The 1G-GTE Tue, 07 September 2004 02:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No cruise control on my car Smile

See that little black square at the 180km/h mark?

I believe that is the speed limiter switch... when the speedo needle hits that it stops the engine from producing more power.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: The 1G-GTE Tue, 07 September 2004 02:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ya reckon? I was going to say that but I didn't think that would be it. As far as I know it works off the speed sensor in the dash to a module.
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: The 1G-GTE Tue, 07 September 2004 02:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Had this torque monster up to around 200km/h...

http://www.users.on.net/~hydra/cars/camry/camry3.jpg

In controlled conditions of course... Rolling Eyes
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: The 1G-GTE Tue, 07 September 2004 02:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
justcallmefrank wrote on Tue, 07 September 2004 12:13

Ya reckon? I was going to say that but I didn't think that would be it. As far as I know it works off the speed sensor in the dash to a module.

Yeh, maybe you're right.

But that raises the question... why have that little black square with a really thin pin sticking out of it?
Bugman
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: The 1G-GTE Tue, 07 September 2004 05:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I bounced my 1g off the revlimiter in 5th in the celica works out to ~250km/hr that was running 10psi and it pulled quite nicely easily to it. i'm wondering if the thing will be able to bounce of the revlimiter in the corona which should be ~300km/hr

not sure I wanna test that one though.
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: The 1G-GTE Tue, 07 September 2004 05:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
how does the little black square thing help us fellows with didgtal dashes tho Confused
EvilJack
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

September 2002

Re: The 1G-GTE Tue, 07 September 2004 05:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
easy

doesnt Very Happy
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: The 1G-GTE Tue, 07 September 2004 05:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
EvilJack wrote on Tue, 07 September 2004 14:57

easy

doesnt Very Happy

well dher,

is it as simple as cutting an ECU wire??

Becuase mine is out atm and i can see all the little wires...
ddeane
Regular

June 2002
Re: The 1G-GTE Tue, 07 September 2004 06:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Gidday

On the back of the speedo there is a magnetic pickup that provides the computer with the speed signal.

Craig
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: The 1G-GTE Tue, 07 September 2004 07:12 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
yeah but wont that disconnect my speedo Confused

Pages (2): [1  2  >  »]   Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:1G-GTE Rebuild specs
Next Topic:jap writting in old soara
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon May 13 17:07:08 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0084578990936279 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.