Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Tommo
Forums Junkie

October 2003
new car suggestions Tue, 07 September 2004 09:37 Go to next message
Once I sell my celica I'll need a new car.
Id really love FLYPSI's TA22 but theres also this immaculate series 3 RX7 that I want.. ah so many decisions.
I was also thinking about a DR30 skyline or GT4 celica, I think the ST185 model is what Im after.
cheers,
Tom
  Send a private message to this user    
AE86slut
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: new car suggestions Tue, 07 September 2004 09:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
DR30 RS 'Ironmask' dude..... Very Happy
Tommo
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: new car suggestions Tue, 07 September 2004 10:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bloody oath! Its just so hard to find one.

I was reading a cool track test on one, here it is

Quote:

1981: DR30 2000RS-Turbo
This car, of all the cars tested, is the odd one out in many ways, with a significantly different character to any of the other cars.

The 2000RS normally aspirated model, (powered by the then new FJ20DE engine), opened its account in November 1981. The R30 series already had a luxury sports model in the GT-ES, with a 2.0 litre turbo L-series, and so Nissan saw fit to position the 2000RS as a no frills, stripper sports model of the Skyline range. In went the taxi pack interior, and out went things like power windows, electric mirrors, and even the radio!

But Nissan’s efforts were not in vain. A staggering 125 kg was stripped out of the GT-ES, and so the 2000RS rolled onto the road at a bantamweight 1130kg. A turbo edition, the 2000RS-Turbo, was introduced a year later, but the model had gained weight and equipment to the point where the last of the turbos weighed 1250kg.

The car tested here is a combination of an early normally aspirated bodyshell, with a transplanted turbo heart. It weighs 1140kg, 200kg lighter than the next lightest car tested, the R32 GTS-T. Powered by the FJ20DET, a 190hp 2.0litre turbo 16 valve four, the 2000RS-Turbo moves off the line with a lightness that none of the others tested enjoys.

The lightness carries onto the way the car handles. Tip the car into a hard corner, and there is no feeling that the springs are struggling to keep the car flat. Likewise, the feel through the steering tells a tale of tyres that are gripping the road lightly. At eight tenths, the 2000RS-Turbo feels quick and flat, light on its feet and nimble.

There is, however, a downside. The gritty FJ20 lights up in the middle of a corner with all the subtlety of a New Year’s Eve firecracker, and the chassis has no hesitation in immediately throwing the tail sideways. An occurrence that will scare the living daylights out of everyone in the car, no doubt.

Time the power delivery carefully, and the 2000RS-Turbo will squat, then thrust itself out of the corner with a fearsome ferocity. Devoid of four wheel steer or trick computer designed multilinks, the suspension is basically Datsun 1600 with longer control arms.

Can it handle the power of the FJ20? Well, sort of. But mostly no.

Words like understeer, oversteer and neutrality lose their meaning in this car somewhat. The 2000RS-Turbo merely grips, and grips and grips until the turbo kicks in, whereupon it will squat, and fire out of the corner. Or it might go sideways and spin out.

The FJ20 is laggy, laggy, laggy, then….WHAM! The turbo comes in with a bang, and the motor revs like a demon all the way to its 7500rpm redline. It is a very top endy motor, with a somewhat uncultured power delivery. But it does make light work of pushing the flyweight 2000RS-Turbo along, the motor blasting the car out of corners and down short straights with diffident ease. Short of the GT-R, it feels the fastest in a straight line, a sensation accentuated in no small part by the surprise-birthday-party power delivery.

The handling is quick and light, which means that the 2000RS-Turbo can carry a great deal of speed into a corner. Get the power delivery right, and the car will simply grip and go, the lightness of the car meaning that more of the tyres’ grip is devoted to cornering. But once the grip runs out, you are in no doubt that you are on your own. Get the power delivery wrong, and you feel that the consequences would involve six or seven tankslapping fishtails, a backwards exit off the track, flipping, rolling, and burning to death after the car bursts into flames…a 2000RS-Turbo does not need a lover with a slow hand….

But there is no doubt that it is fast, surprisingly faster than all the others tested today, except for the GT-R. It gives the biggest shove in the back when firing out of a corner, it turns in the most keenly, and holds its line with the greatest determination. Providing crude thrills for the G-force addict, a good, hard clean lap in a 2000RS-Turbo is a ride you’ll not easily forget, and an object lesson in the benefits of light weight and quick handling.

But if you lost it, it would certainly be a most spectacular crash…

Engine: 75
Handling: 85
Overall Balance: 90

AE86slut
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: new car suggestions Tue, 07 September 2004 10:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just speak to an importer and see if they can get you one in. A mate of mine has one..... But it's got an R34 GTR engine with a MASSIVE single on it and fully rebuilt with every hi-po bit you can think of. We're talking $30-40k worth of engine.

IMO they are damn cool cars. I've often thought about one for myself. The FJ20's are strong-as too.
Tommo
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: new car suggestions Tue, 07 September 2004 10:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shit that sounds like a weapon! What do you think of a fairlady 200ZR?
I've often thought about talking to an importer about getting one of those for me.
(sorry for not talking toyota here guys)
AE86slut
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: new car suggestions Tue, 07 September 2004 10:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I know this is going to sound bizarre (and I'm not quite sure why myself), but I reckon the 200ZR is uglier than a DR30.

DR30's are tough as man..... Pro's for the 200 are newer, more refined (and still very tough) engine, plus they are classier in general, but I just reckon they look like a hat full of arseholes. DR30 is a street warrior!

And yeah, the one I mentioned earlier is ridiculously powerful.
ae95
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2003
Re: new car suggestions Tue, 07 September 2004 10:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dr30s are nice cars
one of my mates has one complete with iron mask front end.
they are old cars so there are bound to be a few problems other than that theyre awesome cars. the steering is reticulating ball so that takes some getting used to.

one of my mates also has a 200zr with a r32 rb20. it has a few small mods and ran a 13.6 recently.
ae95
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2003
Re: new car suggestions Tue, 07 September 2004 10:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
heres a pic of the dr
http://www.antilag.com/forums/attachment.php?attac hmentid=317
AE86slut
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: new car suggestions Tue, 07 September 2004 10:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ae95 wrote on Tue, 07 September 2004 20:40

heres a pic of the dr
http://www.antilag.com/forums/attachment.php?attac hmentid=317

Oooohhh... NICE Very Happy

Did he order that himself or did he just buy it from an importer?
river
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: new car suggestions Tue, 07 September 2004 10:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

You should buy a Prius - and make a statement! Razz

seeyuzz
river
Tommo
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: new car suggestions Tue, 07 September 2004 10:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Im a fan of the 200zr but only the 2 seater. Most 2+2 z's look like rat shit.
I definantly agree that the DR30 looks much tougher though and would probably be cheaper.

Your friends DR30 looks tough as nails! Id also like to hear about how he got his hands on that.

I had a look at a HR30 turbo a while ago and that thing was a lump of shit. The engine was so unresponsive and slow.

ae95
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2003
Re: new car suggestions Tue, 07 September 2004 10:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bought it off a guy who imported it i think
Tommo
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: new car suggestions Tue, 07 September 2004 11:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://img12.exs.cx/img12/7338/schader25.th.jpg

Im really tempted to buy this, some nicer rims would really set it off. Its got a 12a bridgeport, original 150,000kms, country car.
AE86slut
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: new car suggestions Wed, 08 September 2004 00:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tommo wrote on Tue, 07 September 2004 21:00

http://img12.exs.cx/img12/7338/schader25.th.jpg

Im really tempted to buy this, some nicer rims would really set it off. Its got a 12a bridgeport, original 150,000kms, country car.

Have fun blowing apex seals...... Been there, done that. Bloody things cost me so much I coulda bought 5 houses by now.

Just buy a DR30 dude.
olihaub
Regular

July 2004
Re: new car suggestions Wed, 08 September 2004 02:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ae95 wrote on Tue, 07 September 2004 20:38

dr30s are nice cars
one of my mates has one complete with iron mask front end.
they are old cars so there are bound to be a few problems other than that theyre awesome cars. the steering is reticulating ball so that takes some getting used to.

one of my mates also has a 200zr with a r32 rb20. it has a few small mods and ran a 13.6 recently.

wots reticulating ball steering? Embarassed
AE86slut
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: new car suggestions Wed, 08 September 2004 02:38 Go to previous message
Ever seen a reticulated python???

Well, it's like that..... But a ball..... And part of the steering.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:I have seen the light!
Next Topic:Mark II Corona Seat Conundrum
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu May 16 14:35:41 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.019373893737793 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.