Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
DunkyMonkey
Regular

March 2004
battery in the back Tue, 07 September 2004 10:16 Go to next message
hi everyone,

heres the deal i'm moving my battery to the boot of my car everything is set up and it will make lots of room for my air box that i will be making up too!!! however, i need to know what kinda amps are drawn from the battery on start up, the car is a 1991 toyota celica SX with a 5SFE ~until i get the money to put the 3sge that i have my eye on down at the halfcut place~

preferably i would like to put in a circuit breaker, and consulting the guys down at jaycar ~my trusty choice of shop~ they informed me that i can only go up to 100Amps for a circuit breaker, and putting them in parallel is a bad idea it will drastically increase the amps it will be able to supply. this leaves me with the last option of a 150Amps fuse as the last option, i figure the car will only run about 130Amps in total as when i consulted the wiring diagram i found there are 2 fuses on the power line one is 100Amps, and the other 30Amps. ~i believe that the 100amps is for startmotor~

i would glad to here anyones ideas on exactly how much it draws out on start up?

regards
duncan
  Send a private message to this user    
juzzo84
Forums Junkie

September 2002
Re: battery in the back Tue, 07 September 2004 10:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dont forget to place the battery in an appropriatly ventalated area, not just for your safety but for legality reasons also
Justin

[Updated on: Tue, 07 September 2004 10:24]

Cyber-punk
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: battery in the back Tue, 07 September 2004 10:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
juzzo84 wrote on Tue, 07 September 2004 20:23

dont forget to place the battery in an appropriatly ventalated area, not just for your safety but for legality reasons also
Justin

i'm pretty sure you could have it hanging near your nose as long as its in a sealed box with a vent to the outside worled
DunkyMonkey
Regular

March 2004
Re: battery in the back Tue, 07 September 2004 10:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
really i have a battery box set up and the area has a out side vent that was just out of luck tho, whats the legality thing with that tho?
juzzo84
Forums Junkie

September 2002
Re: battery in the back Tue, 07 September 2004 10:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cyber-punk wrote on Tue, 07 September 2004 20:46

juzzo84 wrote on Tue, 07 September 2004 20:23

Justin

i'm pretty sure you could have it hanging near your nose as long as its in a sealed box with a vent to the outside worled

what you said is precisly what i was refering to!! Razz

[Updated on: Tue, 07 September 2004 10:51]

DunkyMonkey
Regular

March 2004
Re: battery in the back Tue, 07 September 2004 11:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i'm still wondering why there is legality problem with haveing them in a seal box, why do they need to be vented?
85MZ10
Occasional Poster

August 2004
Re: battery in the back Tue, 07 September 2004 11:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
As a battery charges (as it does every time you drive your car)
A chemical reaction occurs which in turn crates a flammable gas (dont know what kind) and that gas needs to escape
thats why all (bar dry cell) batteries have vent holes in the caps so that they don't explode
BradW
Regular

April 2004
Re: battery in the back Tue, 07 September 2004 11:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think it's hydrogen gas.
I will probably get told I am wrong but I dont think a 100A circuit breaker will be big enough for your starter current.
If I was doing this I would not use any CB on the starter cable, I would just make sure it is well insulated and secured. I would then run a main cable from the starter motor b+ terminal to a junction block and run fuses/CB's for my other power supplies from there.

Brad
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: battery in the back Tue, 07 September 2004 11:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hydrogen. burns good.

edit: doh, beaten to the punchline Wink

100amps would be be conservative for a starter.

a 1.2kw motor, drawing on 12V = 100amps average, btu maybe starting current could be much higher... i'd aim to support 120-150amps

[Updated on: Tue, 07 September 2004 11:39]

DunkyMonkey
Regular

March 2004
Re: battery in the back Tue, 07 September 2004 12:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sorry guys but i do have a 100AMP fuse on that line it can't seriously be running more then 100amps, its the other circuit i'm worried about, i think i need to support it up to the 130Amps for the start up which would mean that i will be running a 150Amp fuse with in 30cm of the battery all other fuse will remain on there original lines. if by some unfortunate chance i do get a short then i will have to pay the $10 to replace the wafer fuse, something i'll just have to live with.
DunkyMonkey
Regular

March 2004
Re: battery in the back Tue, 07 September 2004 12:20 Go to previous message
oh yeah on the battery front, how much hydrogen gas would usually be released, my engine bay gets hot enough to burn old off, wouldn't it just be less dangerous in the boot anyway? ~thinks about the black light neons....maybe not actually~
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Calling all AW11 4agze owners
Next Topic:aftermarket ecu's
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon May 6 20:36:40 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0048878192901611 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.