Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » 20v turbo smoke problems. Further suggestions please!

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
juzzo84
Forums Junkie

September 2002
20v turbo smoke problems. Further suggestions please! Tue, 07 September 2004 09:31 Go to next message
heya guys, i have a 20v 4age silvertop with a t25 turbo on it, the car has been producing a fair bit of smoke of late, no the black fuel smoke type, but more oil or condensation sort of smoke, its sorta white in colour and sometimes has a bit of blue to it, i have checked the engine compression thinking that the rings may have let me down but the compression was 160+ psi across all four cylinders, i have also removed the turbo and it contains no shaft play and there is no oil in the intercooler pipes and there is no signs of oil leaking out the rear of the turbo into the exhaust system. any advice of experiance would be appreciated, as i am willing to rebuild the turbo, but if the problem lays else where why worry!!!
thanks heaps
Justin

[Updated on: Tue, 07 September 2004 10:49]

Send a private message to this user    
AE86slut
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: 20v turbo smoke problems Tue, 07 September 2004 10:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Water leak??? It would make sense if you are running a turbo. How much boost are we talking?
juzzo84
Forums Junkie

September 2002
Re: 20v turbo smoke problems Tue, 07 September 2004 10:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
7 psi, just the standard boost for the turbo!! are we talking water in the turbo or water as in head gasket, cause neither is really a problem i want to put a metal headgasket in and im keen to rebuild the turbo just for peace of mind
ae95
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2003
Re: 20v turbo smoke problems Tue, 07 September 2004 10:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
when is the smoke produced?
AE86slut
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: 20v turbo smoke problems Tue, 07 September 2004 10:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Water leak as in HG.

How much smoke is there?

What computer are you running?
juzzo84
Forums Junkie

September 2002
Re: 20v turbo smoke problems Tue, 07 September 2004 10:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ae95: mainly just when idling!!

slut: a considerable amount, enough to be getting looked at very very akquardly by the passing public!! Very Happy micro tech LTX8.

there is a bit of the smoke when driving but mainly when the car is at traffic lights or just idling with the turbo timer on after driving!
juzzo84
Forums Junkie

September 2002
Re: 20v turbo smoke problems Tue, 07 September 2004 10:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ae86slut: wouldn't a water leak show up in my compression test results, thus one or two cylinders much lower on compression than the others???
AE86slut
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: 20v turbo smoke problems Tue, 07 September 2004 10:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
juzzo84 wrote on Tue, 07 September 2004 20:30

ae86slut: wouldn't a water leak show up in my compression test results, thus one or two cylinders much lower on compression than the others???

You would think so, hence my other questions, unless it was a very small leak which would make sense that it happens mainly when idling as it would be getting burnt off quicker at higher revs.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong here.
juzzo84
Forums Junkie

September 2002
Re: 20v turbo smoke problems Tue, 07 September 2004 10:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ae86slut: i appreciate the addvice thanks, maybe i should get the motor TK tested for a headgasket leak, the only problem is that if the leak is very small, it may not show up on a TK test!!
AE86slut
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: 20v turbo smoke problems Tue, 07 September 2004 10:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No worries.... But don't take my word for it dude. I'm just throwing up suggestions.
juzzo84
Forums Junkie

September 2002
Re: 20v turbo smoke problems Tue, 07 September 2004 10:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ae86slut: yeah man, i understand that and thanks again, but i will still continue my investergation, but im just opening up for some people to kick some ideas my way!!!
justin
10sec_rx7
Forums Junkie

December 2002

Re: 20v turbo smoke problems. Further suggestions please! Tue, 07 September 2004 10:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i take it this car is Daves old car??

if so i tuned it a while back, it is the turbo causing your smoke nothing else, change the turbo and the smoke will go away it is the oil seal in the back of the turbo causing your issues,

Dale
juzzo84
Forums Junkie

September 2002
Re: 20v turbo smoke problems. Further suggestions please! Tue, 07 September 2004 10:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ah ledgend!!! thanks man!!
10sec_rx7
Forums Junkie

December 2002

Re: 20v turbo smoke problems. Further suggestions please! Tue, 07 September 2004 11:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i reccomend a t28 off a s15, that will give a real kick in the butt!!
juzzo84
Forums Junkie

September 2002
Re: 20v turbo smoke problems. Further suggestions please! Tue, 07 September 2004 11:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
its all money i dont have, i think i will just rebuild this lil puppy!!
justin Laughing
10sec_rx7
Forums Junkie

December 2002

Re: 20v turbo smoke problems. Further suggestions please! Tue, 07 September 2004 11:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
no point rebuilding it, it will cost you more than another turbo, the one on there is a t25 off a s13 sr20, you should be able to pickup another one for a couple of hundred

Dale
juzzo84
Forums Junkie

September 2002
Re: 20v turbo smoke problems. Further suggestions please! Tue, 07 September 2004 11:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thanks, i will consider that!!
justin
ae95
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2003
Re: 20v turbo smoke problems. Further suggestions please! Tue, 07 September 2004 11:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i'd go a s15 turbo if you have the money
if not t25g's are cheap

about 200-250

[Updated on: Tue, 07 September 2004 11:42]

20valve69corona
Regular

May 2002
Re: 20v turbo smoke problems. Further suggestions please! Tue, 07 September 2004 11:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey juzzo how does the 20valve go with the turbo? I'm in the middle of building mine now.
juzzo84
Forums Junkie

September 2002
Re: 20v turbo smoke problems. Further suggestions please! Tue, 07 September 2004 13:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ae95: could you please pm me with the price for the turbo you have, im assuming it is a t28?

20vcorona: they love it, so drivable yet still have the punch to get you moving, mine is making only 120kw's at the rear now (on 7psi), im just about to either rebuild the turbo (t25), or put on a t-28 ( @ 10psi), bigger cooler and larger injectors and im looking around the 150-160kw's with a good tune and possibly a new metal head gasket if the pocket isnt to empty!
ae95
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2003
Re: 20v turbo smoke problems. Further suggestions please! Tue, 07 September 2004 14:43 Go to previous message
not worth it to rebuild the turbo
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:3sgte 6 speed in ae86
Next Topic:BRAKES FOR 180BHP TA22
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Tue May 7 00:15:42 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.005267858505249 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.