Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » General Car Talk » i just realised my soon-to-be-potent ae86 is going to scare the S**T out of me...

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
white86
Regular

May 2004
i just realised my soon-to-be-potent ae86 is going to scare the S**T out of me... Tue, 07 September 2004 12:13 Go to next message
ok... this idea just hit me today, i was driving home and saw a white cross on the side of the road (i'd actually saw this accident, it was a dude on a bike, when i saw him he was alive, but he unfortunately musn't have survived) and i realised i've never driven a powerful rear-drive car and im on the brink/in the process of doing a 4agte conversion in my sprinter.

i've always considered myself a pretty decent driver and take a lot of pride in my driving (only had my p's for a year or 2, but have done the k's of someone with at least 2 or 3 times that on the road), and most of my driving has been up and down mt nebo rd 4 times a day (some of you may know that road - popular weekend/late nite hoon road out of the gap in brisbane). but the thought of getting into my completed ae86 and driving it hard is sort of giving me chills...

has anyone else experienced this? what were other ppl's experiences in their first high powered car? im thinking my best bet will be to start attending some drift days and these sort of things, performance and advanced driving schools...

sorry for the mini-novel...

regards, daniel
  Send a private message to this user    
rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: i just realised my soon-to-be-potent ae86 is going to scare the S**T out of me... Tue, 07 September 2004 12:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
all this talk about driver education and speed kills the government should make it mandatory for EVERYONE to attend drift days before they are eligable for a full license Laughing
white86
Regular

May 2004
Re: i just realised my soon-to-be-potent ae86 is going to scare the S**T out of me... Tue, 07 September 2004 12:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
that's sort of what i'm getting at... who's been to these days and have noticed the benefit on the roads? with the roads i drive on a mistake usually costs you your life (and believe me i've seen the disturbing results on a number of occasions). I'm confident with my abilities in traffic, but the thought of losing it and not being in control anymore its pretty damn scary...
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: i just realised my soon-to-be-potent ae86 is going to scare the S**T out of me... Tue, 07 September 2004 12:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rob_RA40 wrote on Tue, 07 September 2004 22:16

all this talk about driver education and speed kills the government should make it mandatory for EVERYONE to attend drift days before they are eligable for a full license Laughing

ill second that. it should be mandatory when you apply for your red p's.

5 words for you white86.

mount cotton driver training center

awesome for learing to control your car in out of control situations. i did one. taught me a LOT about what NOT to do in a sticky situation and what TO do to right it.

turn the boost down, and run it more and mroe as you get better and more used to the extra power kick.
Spanktown
Forums Junkie

June 2002

Re: i just realised my soon-to-be-potent ae86 is going to scare the S**T out of me... Tue, 07 September 2004 12:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
just dont drive like a dickhead, ie fullboosting in traffic etc etc etc.

My first car was a 4agte sprinter. If you treat it responsibly, then you should be fine.

BUT an advanved driving course is highly suggested, as long as it doesnt give you a false sense of skill.

[Updated on: Tue, 07 September 2004 12:30]

white86
Regular

May 2004
Re: i just realised my soon-to-be-potent ae86 is going to scare the S**T out of me... Tue, 07 September 2004 12:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok, thanks...

a friend just offered for me to join in a day at mt cotton in october as well as an upcoming drift day.

maybe early tomorrow morning down the mountain i'll go out hard and remind myself how much i'm looking forward to this engine...
white86
Regular

May 2004
Re: i just realised my soon-to-be-potent ae86 is going to scare the S**T out of me... Tue, 07 September 2004 12:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
by the way spanktown, speed (excessive speed, not "exceding the limit") in traffic has never been part of my driving...
bigg willie style
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: i just realised my soon-to-be-potent ae86 is going to scare the S**T out of me... Tue, 07 September 2004 12:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
white86 wrote on Tue, 07 September 2004 22:13

i was driving home and saw a white cross on the side of the road (i'd actually saw this accident, it was a dude on a bike, when i saw him he was alive, but he unfortunately musn't have survived)

if it makes you feel any better, i think that the white crosses mean serious injury, and the black crosses mean fatality, well thats what it said on the road from melbourne to adelaide.
white86
Regular

May 2004
Re: i just realised my soon-to-be-potent ae86 is going to scare the S**T out of me... Tue, 07 September 2004 12:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
it does ease my apprehension a little, and possibly good news for the dude involved... but serious injury is still not what i'm after in this engine conversion...
joyride
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

January 2003
Re: i just realised my soon-to-be-potent ae86 is going to scare the S**T out of me... Tue, 07 September 2004 12:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Spanktown wrote on Tue, 07 September 2004 22:29

BUT an advanved driving course is highly suggested, as long as it doesnt give you a false sense of skill.

i heard that some courses fgive u certificates at the end of the day and you can use it to lower insurance permiums with some insurance companies? something liek that.. can anyone confirm this?
white86
Regular

May 2004
Re: i just realised my soon-to-be-potent ae86 is going to scare the S**T out of me... Tue, 07 September 2004 12:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
aami are good for that...
Evan
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: i just realised my soon-to-be-potent ae86 is going to scare the S**T out of me... Tue, 07 September 2004 12:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Make sure if you do a driver course that it is a course that is suited for fast driving and car control and not one of the lower class driver courses. When you get your car just have a good squirt here and there when suitable and you will get used to it. Its amazing how quickly you can get used to power. Then you will be wanting more and more. It's like a drug.
bigg willie style
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: i just realised my soon-to-be-potent ae86 is going to scare the S**T out of me... Tue, 07 September 2004 12:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
white86 wrote on Tue, 07 September 2004 22:47

it does ease my apprehension a little, and possibly good news for the dude involved... but serious injury is still not what i'm after in this engine conversion...

yeah, well, i guess it the lesser of two evils, that are rather likely if you dont drive sensibly. have fun in the 4AGTE!! safe fun. Smile
white86
Regular

May 2004
Re: i just realised my soon-to-be-potent ae86 is going to scare the S**T out of me... Tue, 07 September 2004 12:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yer i hope it'll turn out that way...

what sort of drivers are people on these forums? any of you have much race/performance experience? i'm guessing a fair few people take a lot of pride in their dirving and constantly improving their skills...
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: i just realised my soon-to-be-potent ae86 is going to scare the S**T out of me... Tue, 07 September 2004 13:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
every time it rains i shit my pants in my car...

i really dont like driving it, and ive STILL not gotten totally used to it
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: i just realised my soon-to-be-potent ae86 is going to scare the S**T out of me... Tue, 07 September 2004 13:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Are you serious? MA61's are at their best in the rain! So much fun it should be illegal. (Actually I think it is).
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: i just realised my soon-to-be-potent ae86 is going to scare the S**T out of me... Tue, 07 September 2004 13:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
totally serious...

oh im sorry, i forgot that you lack the brutally dangerous throttle response of an NA Twisted Evil

nah, quite seriously, in the rain, with little bumps n crap on the road, if my foot flickers even lightly on the pedal the back end breaks out - its quite dangerous
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: i just realised my soon-to-be-potent ae86 is going to scare the S**T out of me... Tue, 07 September 2004 13:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ed_ma61 wrote on Tue, 07 September 2004 23:26

if my foot flickers even lightly on the pedal the back end breaks out - its quite dangerous

same with my car in the rain

:\ damn 2 way lsd
amwtoy
Regular

March 2004
Re: i just realised my soon-to-be-potent ae86 is going to scare the S**T out of me... Tue, 07 September 2004 13:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dude just relax and drive safe. Honestly, there's really nothing to be worried about unless you drive like an idiot to begin with. I learned how to drive in a Camaro SS, my current car (if it ever comes back from the mechanic) is a weedy (by comparison) 18RG Celica. I drove that loaner R33 for a while... Also been behind the wheel of a few 2x4 utes and front-wheel-drive rental cars. It's all the same. Yeah you do need to hold back on the accelerator, particularly in the wet - but any car will lose control in the wet if you want it to. The other day i saw Teh Accidental Dorifto King Granddad spin his front wheels just pulling his Daihatsu out of the gas station. If you go easy on the clutch, don't slam on the brakes and accelerate sensibly, you'll be fine. Don't try to be Takumi on Mt Nebo Rd or of course you'll kill yourself. And if you start sliding in the rain, hold the wheel straight and don't brake till you get traction again.
monkeymajik
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: i just realised my soon-to-be-potent ae86 is going to scare the S**T out of me... Tue, 07 September 2004 14:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Had a bit of first hand experience with rain, mt nebo road and a sprinter at 12psi on saturday night. I got off pretty lightly, it's a sobering experience. Definitly be careful out there, especially in the wet or patchy conditions.

[Updated on: Tue, 07 September 2004 14:13]

Jayem
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: i just realised my soon-to-be-potent ae86 is going to scare the S**T out of me... Tue, 07 September 2004 14:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

all this talk about driver education and speed kills the government should make it mandatory for EVERYONE to attend drift days before they are eligable for a full license

That's the way it's here in Finland. You must pass mandatory "slippery track test" just like "night drive test" before you can get your full licence. These tests are held from 6months to 18months after you have gotten your phase 1 licence.
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: i just realised my soon-to-be-potent ae86 is going to scare the S**T out of me... Tue, 07 September 2004 21:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I know how you feel mate. I used to have a stock gz20 soarer and the next car is my 1jz corona which is a lot more powerful and a lot lighter. The first time I gave it some on the highway I nearly shit myself! It was way faster than anything I had been in. My car is no good around corners so that is also a bit scary Smile

I think I am a decent driver as in safe etc. but I don't think my skills are very good in hard driving situations. That is why I have made my car a drag car and later on in life when I am more experienced and comfortable I will probably move onto some sort of track car.

good luck
Chris
rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: i just realised my soon-to-be-potent ae86 is going to scare the S**T out of me... Tue, 07 September 2004 22:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rob_RA40 wrote on Tue, 07 September 2004 22:16

Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes jeez guys, talk about going over your heads, i was making a smart arse comment about the over use of the word drift on these forums.

somehow u all now think legitimate driver training and "drift days" are one and the same.

what was it that they said about nazi propoganda? something like if you lie enough times, to enough people, the lie becomes true?

if you drift enough times to enough drifterz teh dr1ft b3cumz tr00... Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
white86
Regular

May 2004
Re: i just realised my soon-to-be-potent ae86 is going to scare the S**T out of me... Tue, 07 September 2004 22:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you may notice i said drift days AND performance driving days. i dont see how using the word drift when referring to a drift day, where the focus is on drifting is over using the word drift Wink
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: i just realised my soon-to-be-potent ae86 is going to scare the S**T out of me... Tue, 07 September 2004 23:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ed_ma61 wrote on Tue, 07 September 2004 23:26

nah, quite seriously, in the rain, with little bumps n crap on the road, if my foot flickers even lightly on the pedal the back end breaks out - its quite dangerous

But that's exactly why it's fun! Sure the back end breaks out, but it's sooo predictable and easy to control.

If it bothers you though, try dialling in a little more toe on the rear wheels - that helps a bit. The adjustable camber mod will probably improve things even more (I'll let you know if I ever get around to doing it).
Spanktown
Forums Junkie

June 2002

Re: i just realised my soon-to-be-potent ae86 is going to scare the S**T out of me... Tue, 07 September 2004 23:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i never understood why people hate it in the wet with their hipo cars. In my GTE sprinter, and my GTE aw11 mr2, ive never had this problem.... If you drive slowly to match the conditions then it shouldnt be a problem? its probably different with a bigger motor with more low down torque but i see heaps of people saying oh its so bad in the wet! Ofcourse it will be if you try and drive fast...
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: i just realised my soon-to-be-potent ae86 is going to scare the S**T out of me... Tue, 07 September 2004 23:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hehe Spanky, have you driven a Mk2 Supra? They ain't keen on keeping in a straight line when it's wet Smile Couple that with Ed not having the hugest of tyres and a wall of torque, I can understand what he's saying Laughing
AE86slut
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: i just realised my soon-to-be-potent ae86 is going to scare the S**T out of me... Tue, 07 September 2004 23:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you don't have much experience with powerful RWD cars (especially turbos), I would seriously advise you against giving it much anywhere else but an industrial area for a while or anywhere where there is nothing to hit. At least then you can really open it up fully and have enough room to do so. Don't even drive it in the wet! I used to drive a car that weighed 800kg and had over 200rwkw and even after driving it for a year, having some ridiculously out of control situations, and never losing it I would come home most nights thinking about how many times I could have just died. It's a fucking highly sobering thing..... And VERY scary at times.

But god DAMN it's fun!
7M-Brisbane
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: i just realised my soon-to-be-potent ae86 is going to scare the S**T out of me... Tue, 07 September 2004 23:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What you need to keep in mind is that your car is no less safe than it was before the turbo conversion. I remember when friends had the engineer approve their ~500hp Corolla with standard brakes. The comment was "you're still not allowed to speed, so it doesn't worry me".

Might seem a little irresponsbile, but if you think about it, that's very true! Just because you've got a 600cc Subaru Sherpa or a Porsche GT3 doesn't mean you're destined to live forever or by contrast die a horrible death at 315km/h.

It's all about the driver and if you drive aroudn sideways everywhere or at full throttle, it's been nice knowing you. But, if you drive around in a sane manner and pack & choose the times to get stuck into it, then you'll live a long happy life Smile
Evan
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: i just realised my soon-to-be-potent ae86 is going to scare the S**T out of me... Wed, 08 September 2004 01:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Theres risks involved in everything we do.
Just live life to the fullest and if
shit happens then it was meant to happen.
Spanktown
Forums Junkie

June 2002

Re: i just realised my soon-to-be-potent ae86 is going to scare the S**T out of me... Wed, 08 September 2004 01:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i understand if he gives it it a little he might get a bit sideways etc but if he uses bugger all throttle and drives like grandma, then its fine right? hah, thats what i do in the wet! come to think of it i drive like grandma all the time haha
white86
Regular

May 2004
Re: i just realised my soon-to-be-potent ae86 is going to scare the S**T out of me... Wed, 08 September 2004 02:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
haha evan your quote reminded me of that bit from road to perdition... something along the lines of "in this life we chose, none of us go to heaven".

but you're all right i suppose, its all about being sensible and chosing your moments, and backing it up with some decent skill.

i've driven up and down mt nebo road a few more times today and now i just cant wait to get this conversion finished!
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: i just realised my soon-to-be-potent ae86 is going to scare the S**T out of me... Wed, 08 September 2004 02:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Spanktown wrote on Wed, 08 September 2004 11:27

i understand if he gives it it a little he might get a bit sideways etc but if he uses bugger all throttle and drives like grandma, then its fine right?

well youd be completely wrong in assuming that...

... "giving it a little" doesnt even come into it. i think you fail to realise what "throttle response" and "fuckloads of tourqe" actually entail in the wet
Evan
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: i just realised my soon-to-be-potent ae86 is going to scare the S**T out of me... Wed, 08 September 2004 04:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I don't know about you guys but
i love driving around in the wet.

When you get it white86, go somewhere really
quiet and with heaps of room and go nuts. Very Happy

You will get used to it.
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: i just realised my soon-to-be-potent ae86 is going to scare the S**T out of me... Wed, 08 September 2004 06:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ed_ma61 wrote on Wed, 08 September 2004 10:53

well youd be completely wrong in assuming that...

... "giving it a little" doesnt even come into it. i think you fail to realise what "throttle response" and "fuckloads of tourqe" actually entail in the wet

Heheh, I'm prolly one of the only other ppl on here that knows what your mean.
200 NA kW + 370 NA Nm + manual tranny + cheapish 205's + stiff suspension = lethal.

And mine isn't even tuned yet!
Its gonna be a whole lot worse when it is Eye Spin Eye Spin ARGH Freak
white86
Regular

May 2004
Re: i just realised my soon-to-be-potent ae86 is going to scare the S**T out of me... Wed, 08 September 2004 06:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
speaking of big places with plenty of room to go nuts in your car... does anyone know of any suitable locations in the brisbane area? anythings besides tracks that is
NickAE86
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: i just realised my soon-to-be-potent ae86 is going to scare the S**T out of me... Wed, 08 September 2004 07:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

speaking of big places with plenty of room to go nuts in your car... does anyone know of any suitable locations in the brisbane area? anythings besides tracks that is

being the sensible person that i am Evil or Very Mad i have to say keeping it to the track or skidpan is the best & safest way to test the limits of your car...that said

browns plains industrial estate & mt nebo are my favs

theres also a few roads here and there that are good for a bit of fun (eg:paradise rd, algester) but i guess it depends where you live

but yeah, you should feel comfortable with the car before you go giving it some stick...last thing anyone wants to see is another statistic

lumpy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: i just realised my soon-to-be-potent ae86 is going to scare the S**T out of me... Wed, 08 September 2004 07:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ed_ma61 wrote on Wed, 08 September 2004 12:23

It means putting your indicator on to change lanes whenever you put your foot down or change gears Laughing

You do have to be careful when driving a powerful car, but it's not like you're trying to control a top-fuel dragster on the road. Be smart about it and you'll have no worries. And be especially careful in the wet. And especially with an LSD!

[Updated on: Wed, 08 September 2004 07:33]

ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: i just realised my soon-to-be-potent ae86 is going to scare the S**T out of me... Wed, 08 September 2004 07:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lumpy wrote on Wed, 08 September 2004 17:16

it's not like your trying to control a top-fuel dragster on the road.

not yet anyway Very Happy
Spanktown
Forums Junkie

June 2002

Re: i just realised my soon-to-be-potent ae86 is going to scare the S**T out of me... Wed, 08 September 2004 09:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thats what i was 'trying' to say... if you drive nice and slowly in the wet there shouldnt be problems. haha and what the hell are you people doing with shit 205's with big power like that. Its like me putting bike tyres on my mr2

I suppose it just shits me how many times i read "OH ITS SOOOOOOOO bad in the wet" well no shit! some people even have 2 boost settings for wet and dry... so stupid.

[Updated on: Wed, 08 September 2004 09:02]

Cyber-punk
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: i just realised my soon-to-be-potent ae86 is going to scare the S**T out of me... Wed, 08 September 2004 09:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
justcallmefrank wrote on Wed, 08 September 2004 09:51

Hehe Spanky, have you driven a Mk2 Supra? They ain't keen on keeping in a straight line when it's wet Smile Couple that with Ed not having the hugest of tyres and a wall of torque, I can understand what he's saying Laughing

thats for sure
in the wet, with a shitty 5m-e, tired auto and 265's i still get sideways on occasion...going straight! Shocked Admittedly it only happens when i plant it, i could only imagine what it would be like with some power :/
lumpy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: i just realised my soon-to-be-potent ae86 is going to scare the S**T out of me... Wed, 08 September 2004 09:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I sucessfully dorritfto-ed a Nissan Pintara (ghey FWD auto) in the wet. It's amazing what you can do with loan cars. Laughing
Cyber-punk
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: i just realised my soon-to-be-potent ae86 is going to scare the S**T out of me... Wed, 08 September 2004 09:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
white86 wrote on Wed, 08 September 2004 16:33

port of brisbane on the weekends
rarely many people out there
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: i just realised my soon-to-be-potent ae86 is going to scare the S**T out of me... Wed, 08 September 2004 11:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cyber-punk wrote on Wed, 08 September 2004 19:06

justcallmefrank wrote on Wed, 08 September 2004 09:51

thats for sure
in the wet, with a shitty 5m-e, tired auto and 265's i still get sideways on occasion...going straight! Shocked Admittedly it only happens when i plant it, i could only imagine what it would be like with some power :/

I concur with this ..

Even with AWD in the GT4 - rain still can worry you .. bad for a " false sense of security " but i am learning. They are strong in the wet - but yeah if they loose that grip - they loose BIG time .

I keep light on the go pedal + smooth on the turny thing + make sure i give plenty of stop space in the wet - No way i want to write off my car in a case of rain fed red mist , or bad luck
river
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: i just realised my soon-to-be-potent ae86 is going to scare the S**T out of me... Wed, 08 September 2004 11:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

It doesn't bother me too much if you scare the shit outta yaself - just don't scare the shit outta other people Smile

No matter how much defensive driving you do, and no matter how careful you are - there is is always the nob-tosser who runs up your arse, or comes flying through a stop sign or red light.

Enjoy your car and respect its power and both its (and more importantly your) limitations. Watch out for old farts (like me) and have fun with the car - it sounds like it'll be a fun, little rocket.

seeyuzz
river
Cyber-punk
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: i just realised my soon-to-be-potent ae86 is going to scare the S**T out of me... Wed, 08 September 2004 11:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
river wrote on Wed, 08 September 2004 21:42

Hi,

It doesn't bother me too much if you scare the shit outta yaself - just don't scare the shit outta other people Smile

No matter how much defensive driving you do, and no matter how careful you are - there is is always the nob-tosser who runs up your arse, or comes flying through a stop sign or red light.

Enjoy your car and respect its power and both its (and more importantly your) limitations. Watch out for old farts (like me) and have fun with the car - it sounds like it'll be a fun, little rocket.

seeyuzz
river

Or worse, some drunk wanker in a HQ ute who runs up the arse of a poor bloke on a motorbike who's stopped at some lights and is almost home Sad
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: i just realised my soon-to-be-potent ae86 is going to scare the S**T out of me... Wed, 08 September 2004 12:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Spanktown wrote on Wed, 08 September 2004 19:01

if you drive nice and slowly in the wet there shouldnt be problems.

i still dont think you get it.

i can be at an intersection, stationary, waiting in line for a green arrow to turn. traffic moves off, i follow along, doing, at best, say 25kmh as i turn through the intersection. i hit a small pothole, enough for my foot to waver ever so slightly over the accel pedal.... wooshka, back end breaks.

i realllllyyy have to be careful. i drive at least one gear higher in the wet to try and minimise the torque transfer. i set myself up in corners, particularly in trafic and multiple lanes, allowing for the fact that if something lets go, ive got a buffer

driving 'slowly' and 'not giving it some' has nothing to do with it. im talking about docile, around town driving.

dont even get me started on the dickheads who speed on freeways during the rain, sheets of water everywhere, then aquaplane accross the face of the earth.... No No No
Spanktown
Forums Junkie

June 2002

Re: i just realised my soon-to-be-potent ae86 is going to scare the S**T out of me... Wed, 08 September 2004 12:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what type of tyres you running on that beast?
monkeymajik
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: i just realised my soon-to-be-potent ae86 is going to scare the S**T out of me... Wed, 08 September 2004 12:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
That kind of snap after a jolt to the accel should be easy to correct though?
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: i just realised my soon-to-be-potent ae86 is going to scare the S**T out of me... Wed, 08 September 2004 12:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
235/60/14 yoko a509's

soon to be 235/45/17 dunlop f1's Very Happy

im the first to admit suspension setup and geometry doesnt lend itself to the wet AT ALL. works a treat in the dry though. i accept that, and am bloody careful in the wet as a consequence.
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: i just realised my soon-to-be-potent ae86 is going to scare the S**T out of me... Wed, 08 September 2004 12:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
monkeymajik wrote on Wed, 08 September 2004 22:34

That kind of snap after a jolt to the accel should be easy to correct though?

sure, no dramas to correct at all. youve just got to be prepared all the damn time for *something* to happen so youre ready to correct. i dont like driving in the wet as a consequence, too stressful...

meh, thats life
Spanktown
Forums Junkie

June 2002

Re: i just realised my soon-to-be-potent ae86 is going to scare the S**T out of me... Wed, 08 September 2004 12:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
haha, cool, the shit people spin sometimes, just well... gets to me.
finney
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: i just realised my soon-to-be-potent ae86 is going to scare the S**T out of me... Wed, 08 September 2004 13:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ed_ma61 wrote on Wed, 08 September 2004 22:18

i drive at least one gear higher in the wet to try and minimise the torque transfer. i set myself up in corners, particularly in trafic and multiple lanes, allowing for the fact that if something lets go, ive got a buffer

I agree with this as it's how i drive my car in the wet. I deliver pizzas with shocking retreads on the front at the moment until i buy some mags and decent rubber after rego this month.

The advice i can give which hasn't been given yet is when its wet just try not to hit boost, shift early and just drive sedately, save the boost for when you feel comfortable. Smile
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: i just realised my soon-to-be-potent ae86 is going to scare the S**T out of me... Thu, 09 September 2004 05:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
white86 wrote on Tue, 07 September 2004 22:13

ok... this idea just hit me today, i was driving home and saw a white cross on the side of the road (i'd actually saw this accident, it was a dude on a bike, when i saw him he was alive, but he unfortunately musn't have survived) and i realised i've never driven a powerful rear-drive car and im on the brink/in the process of doing a 4agte conversion in my sprinter.

i've always considered myself a pretty decent driver and take a lot of pride in my driving (only had my p's for a year or 2, but have done the k's of someone with at least 2 or 3 times that on the road), and most of my driving has been up and down mt nebo rd 4 times a day (some of you may know that road - popular weekend/late nite hoon road out of the gap in brisbane). but the thought of getting into my completed ae86 and driving it hard is sort of giving me chills...

has anyone else experienced this? what were other ppl's experiences in their first high powered car? im thinking my best bet will be to start attending some drift days and these sort of things, performance and advanced driving schools...

sorry for the mini-novel...

regards, daniel

i didnt read all the other posts
but i just went through same experience not "too" long ago
I went from driving a 1g geu in a 1250 kg car with about 60rwkw
to a 1jz gte in a 1250kg car making at that time around 200rwkw(in shootout mode)
also i had not driven a manual car more than like 2 times since i got my license 2 yrs before(which i learned in an excel).
I got into my car.. i was scared shitless, foot was shaking on the clutch.. needless to say i pussied it all the way home(car wasnt even rego'd and i had to get it home 40 k's away)
It took me around 3 weeks to get used to the power completely and ofcourse now i want more.
id say take it out late at night a few times and drive it all different ways till you get used to how much power is put down in certain situations and make sure your confident enough before going and doing anything stupid.

i also try to avoid driving in the wet at all.. because anything over say 1500 rpm even off boost creates wheel spin so its just safer to avoid if i can

[Updated on: Thu, 09 September 2004 05:22]

Yenda
Occasional Poster

July 2002
Re: i just realised my soon-to-be-potent ae86 is going to scare the S**T out of me... Thu, 09 September 2004 06:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
unless you have insaneee amounts of torque
just learn how to skate your car.. that way if you ever do break traction its all a natural reaction..
also i find the more powerful your car the more sensible you are on the roads.

whatever you guys want to say about drifting is fine, but it definately teaches you a lot more about a car then any "practice day"" can (unless its one of those race course ones eg by porsche or bmw)
Lambolica
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: i just realised my soon-to-be-potent ae86 is going to scare the S**T out of me... Thu, 09 September 2004 11:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ATM I'm not a fan of driving in the rain. Not for going out on corners and such but the going up hill in the wet and the back losing traction due to torque has worried me a few more time than I'd like to admit. It comes down to driving to suit the conditions.
brett_celicacoupe
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: i just realised my soon-to-be-potent ae86 is going to scare the S**T out of me... Thu, 09 September 2004 11:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

i still dont think you get it.

i can be at an intersection, stationary, waiting in line for a green arrow to turn. traffic moves off, i follow along, doing, at best, say 25kmh as i turn through the intersection. i hit a small pothole, enough for my foot to waver ever so slightly over the accel pedal.... wooshka, back end breaks.

i realllllyyy have to be careful. i drive at least one gear higher in the wet to try and minimise the torque transfer. i set myself up in corners, particularly in trafic and multiple lanes, allowing for the fact that if something lets go, ive got a buffer

driving 'slowly' and 'not giving it some' has nothing to do with it. im talking about docile, around town driving.

fark , ide love to go for a spin in that car, driving or passengerin Very Happy . shed be pretty wiked
thug_immortal
Forums Junkie

June 2002

Re: i just realised my soon-to-be-potent ae86 is going to scare the S**T out of me... Thu, 09 September 2004 12:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If your that scared of your car, you could always give... or sell it to me Very Happy
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: i just realised my soon-to-be-potent ae86 is going to scare the S**T out of me... Thu, 09 September 2004 12:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ed_ma61 wrote on Wed, 08 September 2004 22:46

i dont like driving in the wet as a consequence, too stressful...

me too actually. But my reason is that my car is a weekend car and as such only has wipers that go at one speed etc. so I could get it rego'd. Only driven in the wet once and shit it was scary! On top of that, it is a corona and doesn't handle very well at all!

When you get the car, take it easy then slowly get used to it and if you don't feel comfortable driving in certain situations then don't. Too easy Smile
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: i just realised my soon-to-be-potent ae86 is going to scare the S**T out of me... Thu, 09 September 2004 14:17 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
mine 'should' be a weekend car - unfortunately that would leave me with no 'weekday car' Confused

i hate being a student No No No

and no, you really dont want my car. the engine is dying (already!) and it looks a shitful mess. one day it may make me happy, but for now, its embarassing
Pages (2): [1  2  >  »]   Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:crap ae86
Next Topic:Anyone good with Wiring?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Tue May 21 03:55:26 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0089499950408936 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.