Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
no_tofu_speed
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Jab what?!!?!
4age Vs 4agze Mon, 06 September 2004 15:27 Go to next message
Hopefully this has got some attention now.....

Well it is kinda on topic.

Just curious what components or tuning exactly, makes the 4age sound so sweet?
The gze's pitch sounds a lil diff.

For situations sake,
doing a conversion with a gze engine, but stripping it back to run N/A (GZE used for future potential forced induction uses).
What would need to be done for it to give the typical sweet 4age sound?

[Updated on: Tue, 07 September 2004 17:16]

Send a private message to this user    
no_tofu_speed
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Jab what?!!?!
Re: 4age Vs 4agze Wed, 08 September 2004 08:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bump
Cyber-punk
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: 4age Vs 4agze Wed, 08 September 2004 08:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Might be in the exhaust?
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: 4age Vs 4agze Wed, 08 September 2004 08:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
induction my friend
Cyber-punk
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: 4age Vs 4agze Wed, 08 September 2004 09:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ae86drift wrote on Wed, 08 September 2004 18:59

induction my friend

listen to him, i was only guessing
he's a rolla boy and from what i can gather knows more about 4a's than me(no offence on the rolla boy comment...but its true Wink )

i was just assuming there might be different pipe work involved in the discharge area of the engine
Rex_Kelway
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 4age Vs 4agze Wed, 08 September 2004 09:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Let Rex get this straight,..

You want to take a top little Supercharged motor thats tuned for forced induction and has an 8:1 C/R and tamer cams etc. Then strip it back to run N/A. So it can be super/turbocharged in the future.

You cant see a problem wit this?

Someone take away his crack pipe...
fatmr2
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: 4age Vs 4agze Wed, 08 September 2004 11:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My question is: Why would you go backwards only to go forwards later????

Sounds like a waste of time and money if you ask me!

no_tofu_speed
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Jab what?!!?!
Re: 4age Vs 4agze Wed, 08 September 2004 17:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Simple...
For the blind sided idiots.....
Insurance,
I am still under 25 and studying so I dont have great deals of money.......
alwaysRA23
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: 4age Vs 4agze Wed, 08 September 2004 21:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
would it not make more sense tooooooooo.... say just get a 20valve for now? or just a 100kw motor and wack it in.. when ur 25, move to something thats S/C or turbo? Confused
monkeymajik
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: 4age Vs 4agze Wed, 08 September 2004 22:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Get some quotes before jumping to conclusions. With JustCar it would cost me the same to insure a 4AGE AE86 as it does to insure my 4AGZE AE86.
drift86levin
Forums Junkie

August 2004
Re: 4age Vs 4agze Wed, 08 September 2004 22:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeh same here..it's the same with just car insurence..for me 3rd party is around $330..and 3rd party fire & theft is around $660 (but you need to have a 2 point immobiliser) i have 3rd party fire and theft..quite happy with it..(the shit that i do if i fuck up it will be my fault anyway! and most of it's on track so it's not covered either)

as to the question the sound..the 4AGE has that hard tuned -nearly as good as- vtec note thanks to the Induction..and if you put quad throttle bodies, or twin sidedraft carbs on it..OHHHHHH!!!! lets just say it sound really good Laughing

i really miss this *noise* as i like to put it..they sound soooo tough..the ZE sounds like its a forced induction motor (der!) it really sounds like it sucking the air in and forcing it out..and nearly everyone that i've heard..even under normal driving (with normal gear changes) has a kinda deep pop (or bang) the the exhaust..the ZE drivers will know what i'm on about..
rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 4age Vs 4agze Wed, 08 September 2004 22:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
alternatively i find it interesteing that u think the 4A-GE sounds so sweet.

i only rarely hear a good sounding 4A every blue moon (one or two at the dyno day), usually its its either the sound of farting through a straw or the sound of farting in a bucket.

ae86slaver
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: 4age Vs 4agze Thu, 09 September 2004 00:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
drift86levin wrote on Thu, 09 September 2004 08:46

has a kinda deep pop (or bang) thru the exhaust..the ZE drivers will know what i'm on about..

haha too true....i've been mistaken for a rotor few too many times

rob_RA40 wrote on Thu, 09 September 2004 08:51

alternatively i find it interesteing that u think the 4A-GE sounds so sweet.

i only rarely hear a good sounding 4A every blue moon (one or two at the dyno day), usually its its either the sound of farting through a straw or the sound of farting in a bucket.

mate obviously you haven't heard one that's done correctly. Shitty tin sounding corolla's with mandrel exhaust's don't count!

THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: 4age Vs 4agze Thu, 09 September 2004 09:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
in a word *BUZZZZZ*

dude, if you swap a motor into a car thats not standard, insurance companies wont like you, no matter what that motor is.

Why oh why is there so much love for the 4A??
drift86levin
Forums Junkie

August 2004
Re: 4age Vs 4agze Thu, 09 September 2004 10:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the 4A has to be one of, if not the best 4 bangers toyota has made! argue the point i dare you! Laughing

[Updated on: Thu, 09 September 2004 10:02]

THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: 4age Vs 4agze Thu, 09 September 2004 12:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
3S-G*
no_tofu_speed
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Jab what?!!?!
Re: 4age Vs 4agze Thu, 09 September 2004 13:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oh Id love a 3sg*. Not sure about how it efects balance of a 86 though.
But it is a damn hard conversion, I been harrassing people hwo have done it for info. Needs of money and patience.

Sorry the conclusion I had was that forced induction is a big no no insurance wise unless u r aged.

If that was a reality, the reason why detune a gze to NA then doing it then swapping engines in around 3 years is, I thought longterm it would be alot more cost effect and less stuffing around. And 20V are a bit more customisation cause of the dizzy etc I heard.

And I just love the sound of the 4age. I like any high revving things, closest thing Ill ever get to a V10/V12 sound...
rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 4age Vs 4agze Thu, 09 September 2004 22:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
just so u know im not bagging the 4A i think its a top engine, hell i almost considered one for my KE35. As audioslaver says, im glad u all understand that like any engine these can sound horrid if done incorrectly (ie kudos for not blowing up at me for attacking teh 4A). This however should give u all incentive to make sure you make them sound good.

no_tofu_speed wrote on Thu, 09 September 2004 23:39

And I just love the sound of the 4age. I like any high revving things, closest thing Ill ever get to a V10/V12 sound...

son, are u on teh crack? are you saying the 4A sound can be closely compared to a V12 on song?
bathurst-91
Forums Junkie

April 2004

Re: 4age Vs 4agze Thu, 09 September 2004 23:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My ZE has also been mistaken for a rotary Evil or Very Mad

Had a bunch of bogans yell at me 'GO THE ROTTTTORRRRR POWER!!!' in a falcon next to me. lol.
kemicalx
Regular

August 2002
Re: 4age Vs 4agze Thu, 09 September 2004 23:22 Go to previous message
rob_RA40 wrote on Fri, 10 September 2004 08:56

son, are u on teh crack? are you saying the 4A sound can be closely compared to a V12 on song?

No, he's saying it's the closest sounding thing to a V12 he'll ever get. Although not the awesome shrill that 12 cylinders churning is sync can create, they still sound closer to a V12 than a generic V6 or V8.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Need advice on 3TGTE upgrade
Next Topic:Part pick up help needed asap
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu May 9 05:11:58 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0069479942321777 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.