Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Auto Gauges info please.

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
ToNkA
Regular

August 2004
Auto Gauges info please. Wed, 08 September 2004 04:49 Go to next message
Well I know nothing about auto gauges and would like some help.

For my 1ggze engine conversion (into a once diesel hilux) I am going to need a new tacho and it was recommended that I get a boost, temp and oil pressure gauge so I can monitor the engine.

Now do I need all 4?
Or is the tacho good enough?
What prices am I looking at?
Are all gauges the same?
What makes a bad gauge?

I am after just something simple, not for looks, just want what I need to be practical.

So gauge people, tell me what you know.

Cheers

Tonka.
  Send a private message to this user    
drift86levin
Forums Junkie

August 2004
Re: Auto Gauges info please. Wed, 08 September 2004 05:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
it's up to you..you need the tacho..i would definitly get the boost also..as for the rest..your going to be using your existing cluster arn't you? if your temp gauge work with the sender..use it..other wise..get a temp gauge..the only thing that will work no worries is the speedo (providing you get the right speedo drive) and the fuel..oil pressure is good..but if your not going to use it why bother? i don't know if that will confuse you Confused
tacho - depends..5" monster around the $250 (basic model w/ shift light)
all the other gauges depending on what size you get them and where..ie boost, temp, press, amps, fuel, are about $80 each.. depending on where you go..
good brands are autometer (der!) i prolly would stay away from the 'supercheap' 3 in a row cluster combos if you want it done properly..

Mat

[Updated on: Wed, 08 September 2004 05:31]

Cyber-punk
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: Auto Gauges info please. Wed, 08 September 2004 07:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sort of on this topic

what are peoples opinions of oil pressure gauges?
i've been hearing negative things about their reliability lately, on the extreme side of that after 6 or so months they have been known to stop functioning to spec(this is a stock car one...)
river
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Auto Gauges info please. Wed, 08 September 2004 09:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

My oil pressure gauge is still working. It's factory stock and 31 years old and it hasn't failed yet.

It's in a combination gauge with the Ampmeter. I give it a scan every minute or so. Always watch both gauges when starting - to make sure oil pressure comes up quick and strong, and I check the amps to ensure the battery is being charged.

It's personel choice, whether you want one or not. If you don't want one, then you should have some other form of warning to let you know your lovely new motor just lost all it's oil.

seeyuzz
river
mojo_type
Occasional Poster

August 2004
Re: Auto Gauges info please. Wed, 08 September 2004 11:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
autometer gauges are very nice but their the top shelf stuff and expensive
just an idea of price i got an autometer boost/vac gauge and pod for $150 from repco i couldnt be stuffed ringing around to find the best price. its something like 50mm just the right size and sits in the top corner of the dash without drawing too much atttention to it.
spitfire mite be cheaper if you gettin a trio, their a bit under $100 i think.
Cyber-punk
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: Auto Gauges info please. Wed, 08 September 2004 13:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
river wrote on Wed, 08 September 2004 19:38

Hi,

My oil pressure gauge is still working. It's factory stock and 31 years old and it hasn't failed yet.

It's in a combination gauge with the Ampmeter. I give it a scan every minute or so. Always watch both gauges when starting - to make sure oil pressure comes up quick and strong, and I check the amps to ensure the battery is being charged.

It's personel choice, whether you want one or not. If you don't want one, then you should have some other form of warning to let you know your lovely new motor just lost all it's oil.

seeyuzz
river

I am thinking about getting an oil pressure gauge and either a volt or ammetere
was just wondering other peoples experiences is all
i personally dont like relying on the "idiot light"(oil pressure light) as i think they only come on when the pressure is under 4PSI(or roughly 30kpa)
drift86levin
Forums Junkie

August 2004
Re: Auto Gauges info please. Wed, 08 September 2004 22:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeh, i had that problem with the oil light in my old RA28..it came on..and i thought..well..it's stuffed now..but it was all good..just not much oil in the sump..i think oil press gauges are worth while..only give it a quick glance every now and again..but when there is a slight hickup when driving..it get the first look..

Mat
riceburna73
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: Auto Gauges info please. Wed, 08 September 2004 23:12 Go to previous message
mate id check out VDO,thats what I did,great range and top gauges to boot!!
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Speed sensor wiring
Next Topic:20v Quad Throttles on a 16v 4A-GE and Turbo 16v.
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Tue Apr 23 18:49:42 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0068891048431396 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.