Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
toyodas
Newcomer

July 2004
suspension vs lsd Wed, 08 September 2004 16:46 Go to next message
i'm gonna take a bullet here for asking this question
for a newbie which is more important to get first?
suspension or lsd first?

Send a private message to this user    
ae95
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2003
Re: suspension vs lsd Wed, 08 September 2004 17:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lsd
lang
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: suspension vs lsd Wed, 08 September 2004 17:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mm i have both and now that i have both i really have to say you need them both,

unless you have a really powerfull car and your getting wheelspin every day id go with the suspension first, however if you do reguarily get the tail out in your car, or you like hammering it off from the lights and you get wheelspin doing this, go with the LSD first
sated
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: suspension vs lsd Wed, 08 September 2004 17:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Get the LSD and tune the suspension around it
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: suspension vs lsd Wed, 08 September 2004 23:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Before everyone leaps to conclusions, more info is required. For example, what car do you have? If it's a Corolla with a stock 3K, I'd suggest an LSD is a waste of time. Razz And what are you going to use the car for? Driving to the shops? Circuit racing? Drags? Full sik dorifto action bro? Details!
Evan
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: suspension vs lsd Wed, 08 September 2004 23:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you have a stock - i am assuming AE86 - then get suspesion first because an LSD wont have much value wih a 4ac. But if you have an engine converion in a stock car then get the lsd. In the wet, stock springs are good for beginers, if you are into sliding about, because it wont just snap into oversteer when lifting of the accelerator like it would if you have stiffer springs. Like i found out after last Tuesday night when i got to drive a stocker with TRD springs right afer i drove mine with stock springs. The springers were really stiff in the rear and the lift off oversteer was fantastic but definatly not for beginers cause it could spin at the drop of a hat.
Or you could get a good set of Shocks instead of springs first and see how that is.

[Updated on: Wed, 08 September 2004 23:43]

ae86slaver
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: suspension vs lsd Thu, 09 September 2004 00:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cut the springs, bumps, wind up the castor, weld the diff, and away you go Cool
ShiRi
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: suspension vs lsd Thu, 09 September 2004 01:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i'm gonna go the opposite... i went with suspension first... its a cheaper option and its more obvious to tell the gains... esspecially if your current suspension is 20yo and shot to shit...
Evan
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: suspension vs lsd Thu, 09 September 2004 01:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Audioslaver wrote on Thu, 09 September 2004 10:52

cut the springs, bumps, wind up the castor, weld the diff, and away you go Cool

cut the springs? Tisk Tisk. Rolling Eyes
not worth the effort. Smile

[Updated on: Thu, 09 September 2004 01:14]

Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: suspension vs lsd Thu, 09 September 2004 08:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i also went with suspension 1st.. but got the diff installed along with the 1jz
if ur car doesent have too much power.. id say suspension would feel more rewarding
monkeymajik
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: suspension vs lsd Thu, 09 September 2004 08:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

cut the springs? Tisk Tisk. Rolling Eyes
not worth the effort. Smile

Cut down AU Falcon springs in the rear go alright i've heard.

[Updated on: Thu, 09 September 2004 08:32]

drift86levin
Forums Junkie

August 2004
Re: suspension vs lsd Thu, 09 September 2004 09:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i didn't belive it myself..but my mate in his silver AE86 stock 4ac..drifts it just as good as me!! in the wet mind you..linkinig corners and even huge long truns..slides the tail out all over the shop..i'll get it on vid one of these days..he has low kings on all 4 corners with new KYB shocks, bushes done, and whiteline adjustable swaybars front/back..it's crazy this car shouldn't be doing this!! Shocked

ohh it's got the stock open center too!! Shocked
Cyber-punk
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: suspension vs lsd Thu, 09 September 2004 10:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
all drifting is controlled oversteer
as long as the rear loses traction and you control it into several turns you're drifting. thats my understanding of it
so your mates obvious lack of power is negated by the wet conditions
i could sort of drift(maybe link 2 or 3 short turns in an industrial estate i used to live near) in the wet with my old excel...goooo the handbrake

btw
on topic
i'd go suspension then LSD
Evan
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: suspension vs lsd Thu, 09 September 2004 12:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The 4ac has enough power for the wet. It heaps of fun.
Open diffs can link corners too. Smile
ae86slaver
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: suspension vs lsd Thu, 09 September 2004 23:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
monkeymajik wrote on Thu, 09 September 2004 18:30

Cut down AU Falcon springs in the rear go alright i've heard.

Yep also old skool BMW are a direct install with harder spring rate and good ride height Twisted Evil
drift86levin
Forums Junkie

August 2004
Re: suspension vs lsd Fri, 10 September 2004 05:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i have found that AE92 superlow kings for the front..and RA40 celica low kings with exactly half a coil chopped off (from the bottom end coil to directly above it) works pretty well..cheap..and very very stiff!
djbourboncan
Regular

August 2004
Re: suspension vs lsd Fri, 10 September 2004 05:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
This is why cutting springs is a bad idea. First of all you have completely altered the ride of the vehicle since you have removed the preload from the spring (it has been heated until deformed plastically - any preload will be eliminated during this process). This means when you go over the speed bump you will come down harder.

You have reduced the number of active coils and decreased the amount of deflection you have available to resist impact. This means your body (both you and the car) will take more of a beating faster.

You have introduced thermal stresses in the material and possibly surface defects which will reduce the life of the spring.

In essence you have dropped the vehicle lower to the ground possibly improved handling and aerodynamics however you have done it at great expense to the vehicle. You have made the ride bumpier and put more punishment on the rest of the vehicle. You have also reduced the life of the springs.

In my opinion, the only way to get a decent result from lowering a car is to fit shorter but harder springs, so that the reduced suspension travel is compensated for by increased spring rate.
bubbles
Forums Junkie

Banned user

March 2004
Re: suspension vs lsd Fri, 10 September 2004 06:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I started first with the lsd and cut springs, it drifts has long has you are in the torque band. Constantly in between 4500 and 5500 rpm when your sideways. Power drift wont work on a 4ac, but dynamic drift will.
djbourboncan
Regular

August 2004
Re: suspension vs lsd Fri, 10 September 2004 06:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
actually i changed my mind you should remove your springs completly and sit the car on its bump stops they dont do anything anyway, also hook up some windscreen washer boxes to squirt onto all your tyres, next you should fill the windcreen washer box with diesel so you will be slipping and sliding all over the place like the famous japanese guy who eats tofu, also you should remove any exhaust product to give maximum wow effect when you are skating sideways through chinatown on friday night, this will enable you to look like a pro

everybody knows neon lights are illegal but what about 1000w tinted spotlights under your car, this combined with a ae86 will make you full sik
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: suspension vs lsd Fri, 10 September 2004 08:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'd probably be going suspension here, seeing as my RA60 handles better than most LSD-equipped Mk2 Supras I know. With a decent dose of power it may change.

All these people who are talking about cutting springs and adapting shit from other cars, what is wrong with using suspension designed for the AE86, there is a shitload available. Hell, if it's not the right height or spring rate, take it to a spring works and get them reset, doesn't cost much and a darn sight safer!
ViPeR_NiPPleX
Forums Junkie

July 2003
Re: suspension vs lsd Fri, 10 September 2004 08:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Get both, and a 4ag.
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: suspension vs lsd Fri, 10 September 2004 09:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Suspension first - LSD later ..

suspension will settle it down for daily duties , LSD is really only needed if you start " playing " about or need tio feed larger amounts of power ..

It wont help much cruising to work at 50KM monday to friday

ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: suspension vs lsd Fri, 10 September 2004 15:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SUSPENSION FIRST!

dont listen to these fools
get decent suspension setup first
if you cant afford it all at once, buy the urethane/rubber bushing kit from TRD. makes a LOT of difference to a 20yr old car with worn bushings. Smile

but when thats done:

springs + swaybars
adj. shocks
panhard rod
tension rods
rca's
adjustable camber tops
rear 4 links (or new nolethane bushings for OEM items)
coilovers (if you can afford)
then the LSD/final gear/engine upgrades

just think, what good is an lsd if your car has the bodyroll of a truck that is keeping it from working correctly/efficiently?
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: suspension vs lsd Fri, 10 September 2004 22:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
exactery ..

Rolling Eyes
st184 sillycar
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: suspension vs lsd Sat, 11 September 2004 02:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ignoring the wonders of an LSD in a RWD is all well and good if you've got an elastic band for an engine chaps. Which, now that I think about it, most toyota drivers do. Ummm... . . .

Well, if anyone does happen to get a wheel-spinning "donk" in their rear-driver, you gots'ta get the LSD first. Ya GOTS'TA ! ! !

-Once you can get the rears turning, the difference between an LSD equipped car and a single-spinner is unbeleivable. really. trust me! Nothing annoys quite like lining up an apex->exit run, feeding in the power, feeling the inside rear start spinning A N D . . . that's it! just inside-rear wheelspin. D'OH!! Where's my LSD!!!

Except maybe, FWD. Yup. that annoys me more. Very Happy
Sol_Supra
Occasional Poster

September 2004
Re: suspension vs lsd Sat, 11 September 2004 03:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My oppinion.. you kinda want both.
But Ima have to say get suspension first, I mean logically you can still drive a car without LSD Razz
Suspension, then LSD, then you'll be set Razz
Evan
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: suspension vs lsd Sat, 11 September 2004 07:36 Go to previous message
djbourboncan wrote on Fri, 10 September 2004 16:36

actually i changed my mind you should remove your springs completly and sit the car on its bump stops they dont do anything anyway, also hook up some windscreen washer boxes to squirt onto all your tyres, next you should fill the windcreen washer box with diesel so you will be slipping and sliding all over the place like the famous japanese guy who eats tofu, also you should remove any exhaust product to give maximum wow effect when you are skating sideways through chinatown on friday night, this will enable you to look like a pro

everybody knows neon lights are illegal but what about 1000w tinted spotlights under your car, this combined with a ae86 will make you full sik

Laughing
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Any BMW forums ?
Next Topic:How to identify International standards markings (seatbelt & glass)
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 07:13:58 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0073299407958984 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.