Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Woot! ST165 around the corner Wed, 08 September 2004 06:22 Go to next message
I'm picking up the ST165 in about 1:40mins...I have to say I'm friggin' excited! Must find a way to kill the next hour or so. I can't wait to do some obligatory show-ponying (in a totally legal and slow fashion, I'll leave the real driving to the race track still)

Crack be damned!!! Gimme turbo 4wd!!!
  Send a private message to this user    
AE86slut
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: Woot! ST165 around the corner Wed, 08 September 2004 06:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
FWDboy wrote on Wed, 08 September 2004 16:22

Crack be damned!!! Gimme turbo 4wd!!!

ROFL!

Imagine you get there..... And they blew the motor trying to do 4WD heli's.....

j/k man....
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: Woot! ST165 around the corner Wed, 08 September 2004 06:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well I'll have to walk home (approx. 70kms) feeling dejected and lonely Sad
stumpy
Regular

June 2004
Re: Woot! ST165 around the corner Wed, 08 September 2004 06:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well you know you are going to have to give as a full rundown of the car with pics. You will have to tell me how she drive on tarmac and on gravel Shocked .

Cheers

Jeff
doobs
Regular

September 2003
Re: Woot! ST165 around the corner Wed, 08 September 2004 08:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well you whould have it now, come on tell us how does it go Razz
SillyCar88
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: Woot! ST165 around the corner Wed, 08 September 2004 08:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rolling Congrats!!! Rolling
jesseT18
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: Woot! ST165 around the corner Wed, 08 September 2004 08:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
either his enjoying himself too much in it and hasnt come home

or he crashed and died
Draza
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: Woot! ST165 around the corner Wed, 08 September 2004 08:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jessetamsett wrote on Wed, 08 September 2004 18:51

either his enjoying himself too much in it and hasnt come home

or he crashed and died

i got dibs on the car.
Rex_Kelway
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Woot! ST165 around the corner Wed, 08 September 2004 13:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You bought that from Jaustech did you not? Very Happy
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: Woot! ST165 around the corner Wed, 08 September 2004 23:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well where is it!?! Very Happy
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: Woot! ST165 around the corner Thu, 09 September 2004 02:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well...

What can I say???

FUCK!

In a bad way.

Okay - well I'm not angry at Jaustech, I'm sure they'll help me sort out whatever the problem with the car is - but let's just say the ride was a little 'underwhelming'. It seems to have some kind of mis-ignition issues so it's slower than my SX between about 2500-4500rpm, then finally sorts gets going from there till about 64000 where it gets tired again. It's still quicker in a straight line, but having to go back down to 4th on the freeway even tho the car was on boost in 5th is just ridiculous...it stumbles really badly!

But - HELL DAMN is it fast on dirt! I mean "holy shit" is the only way to describe how good a "four-wheel-drive + lightish body + good suspension setup + turbo 2.0litre four" car feels on dirt, the tyres that are on there have got really slushy turn-in on dirt, so trail-breaking helps a tad there (really gotta get weight down on those fronts) but the car handles wonderfully feels quite balanced whilst sliding past the apex Very Happy

Yes - it has got trademark understeer on the black-stuff, but shit does it get the power down! I haven't gone too hard in it yet but it does have a handful of understeer, probably related to the open diffs front and rear (and the somewhat 'primitive' viscous coupling centre).

(edit) 64000rpm?!!! HOLY SHIT.... well -> you know what I mean Smile

[Updated on: Thu, 09 September 2004 02:36]

RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: Woot! ST165 around the corner Thu, 09 September 2004 03:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

then finally sorts gets going from there till about 64000 where it gets tired again

hmmm

that is quite a few revvs you seem to be giving it there. my car gets a little 'tired' at that range too...

Razz

lol

dude, sorry to hear about the ignition! Mate I am sure it will be fixed, your new baby has just started her exciting journey!

At least you have it in your hands now. I am so stoked for you man and can't wait to go for a spin, and I know at the end of the day the trusty toyoda won't let you down Wink
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: Woot! ST165 around the corner Thu, 09 September 2004 03:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah - tis a sweet car - hopefully it'll be fairly straightforward to fix, but I'll take it as it comes.

It needs a respray too...looks like it was the victim of a car-wash gone bad. There's a cross-hatch sorta pattern of little tiny scratches all down one side Sad Sad Sad

But yeah - 'tis sweet, 'tis turbo, 'tis 4WD so I'm not complaining too much!
wagonist
Forums Junkie

Toymods Club Treasurer

May 2002
Re: Woot! ST165 around the corner Thu, 09 September 2004 03:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The ignition is probably more to do with the car sitting around on docks, boats,etc for extended periods.

Replace the spark plugs & leads.
Give all the wiring plugs in the engine bay a spray with electrical spray (can't think of what its called) to help with the conductivity.

Replace the fuel filter too. It will prolly have lots of gunk in it.
When you get a grey import rather than a 15 year import, all this is done before you can drive it, hence the reason none of these problems show up at the importer's yards.
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: Woot! ST165 around the corner Thu, 09 September 2004 03:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
btw - for those who doubt the Jaustech boys, they are going to have a 'look' at it no charge...I dunno what it'll cost for them to 'fix' the problem - but none the less they are top lads. (/endorsement)
wiso
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: Woot! ST165 around the corner Thu, 09 September 2004 07:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
FWDboy wrote on Thu, 09 September 2004 12:35

It seems to have some kind of mis-ignition issues so it's slower than my SX between about 2500-4500rpm, then finally sorts gets going from there till about 6400 where it gets tired again. It's still quicker in a straight line, but having to go back down to 4th on the freeway even tho the car was on boost in 5th is just ridiculous...it stumbles really badly!

Umm yeah its called turbo lag, you get that. seriously, mine is pretty slow up until about 4000, an ST162 will kick me till this point then, damn, you just hammer past them, having 4wd though would make this lag worse cause the little power they have then is getting sucked through the drivetrain, and yeah they do seem to tire about the 6500 mark, from what I can tell this is mostly because of the restriction in the factory dump pipe, they just feel like they are being choked after that, a nice 3" dumpy and zorst should solve this right through to 7300.

Yeah unfortunatly they shouldn't be that bad on a freeway, even in 5th at 80 I can plant it boost up and pull pretty hard.

its probably overfueling hardcore as well, I'd get it dyno run and checked out, most GT4s (that I know of) when they come to oz for some reason overfuel.
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Woot! ST165 around the corner Thu, 09 September 2004 07:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
least it started.....
lol
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: Woot! ST165 around the corner Thu, 09 September 2004 11:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I agree.
those with cars that are able to move under their own power have nothing to complain about Razz j/k

Sounds good mate. I would be doing as wagonist said and see how it goes from there.

RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: Woot! ST165 around the corner Thu, 09 September 2004 13:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The 'missing' issue is more than likely shit fuel...cause it has sort of improved as I've been going thru more and more of the petrol...either that or dodgy fuel filter...I'm still getting it checked out, but it's running much better now.

Wiso -> sounds fairly right, it does feel a bit restricted after about 6000rpm and judging by what I've looked at, the factory dump is highly 'ghey'. The intake isn't much to talk about (in terms of size) but it's definitely not the most restrictive part. Having said that, it pulls fairly linearly and nicely from a bit before 4000 all the way to a bit past 6000, v. nice in that range - just needs a bit more oomph...which I'll get to once I sell and repair another car or two. GT4 at bottom of list atm Smile
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: Woot! ST165 around the corner Thu, 09 September 2004 13:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wiso - at first I thought it was turbo-lag...but really I just think that the turbo is a bit older designed and just doesn't work as efficiently at a low volume flux through the turbine housing (low rpm that is). The turbo-lag itself isn't too bad, fairly responsive when you jump on the throttle (compared to other turbos of the period). Still, being 16 years old, you need a farken calendar to measure the turbo-lag.
StuC
Forums Junkie

December 2003
Re: Woot! ST165 around the corner Fri, 10 September 2004 00:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Great to hear that uve finally driven her!Awesome mate. now, hurry up and sell that 162 so u can put in a full 3inch zorst, get new filters and go and get that snail hi-flowed. That'll fix it. Have fun mate!
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Woot! ST165 around the corner Fri, 10 September 2004 00:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
FWDboy wrote on Thu, 09 September 2004 23:27

The 'missing' issue is more than likely shit fuel...cause it has sort of improved as I've been going thru more and more of the petrol...either that or dodgy fuel filter...I'm still getting it checked out, but it's running much better now.

Wiso -> sounds fairly right, it does feel a bit restricted after about 6000rpm and judging by what I've looked at, the factory dump is highly 'ghey'. The intake isn't much to talk about (in terms of size) but it's definitely not the most restrictive part. Having said that, it pulls fairly linearly and nicely from a bit before 4000 all the way to a bit past 6000, v. nice in that range - just needs a bit more oomph...which I'll get to once I sell and repair another car or two. GT4 at bottom of list atm Smile

what "shit" fuel is in it?.. not the stuff it came over with i hope?. doa ll routine maintenence.. new oils, plugs all that jive(haha.. i actually said jive)
i found my 1jz doing something a bit similar.. but power would fully cut out and came back.. i think it was some blockage in the engine somewhere and after just hammering the shit out of it.. it came good
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: Woot! ST165 around the corner Fri, 10 September 2004 07:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah it seems to have sorted itself out...apparently it was nearly empty when it got here, and Jaustech put some in, but I reckon there may have been some really crappy decayed stuff still in there...about $80 later of Ultimate 98 and it's much better.
wiso
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: Woot! ST165 around the corner Fri, 10 September 2004 10:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you reckon its really not the most restrictive part, once you've pulled it off you won't be saying that, the factory dump directly after the turbine wheel squeazes all exhaust gas through a 1 1/2" square. considering the rest of the zorst is 2 1/2" factory thats a pretty big restricion.

the turbos on these are still a damn good turbo though, mine is as sweet as, was thinking of replacing it with the 7mgte one though oneday. but thats for sure, they are old and turbo design has improved greatly over the years.

all these comparisions your making about your car, what are you comparing it to, your ST162, or that WRX in the pics next to the GT4, if your comparing a WRX to a GT4, thats why your disappointed with it. you shouldn't be comparing it to anything at all No No No
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Woot! ST165 around the corner Fri, 10 September 2004 11:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
pics
stumpy
Regular

June 2004
Re: Woot! ST165 around the corner Fri, 10 September 2004 12:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to the members rides section and look for FWDboys thread, he has a few pics up there.

Cheers

Jeff
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: Woot! ST165 around the corner Sat, 11 September 2004 01:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

you reckon its really not the most restrictive part, once you've pulled it off you won't be saying that, the factory dump directly after the turbine wheel squeazes all exhaust gas through a 1 1/2" square. considering the rest of the zorst is 2 1/2" factory thats a pretty big restricion.

the turbos on these are still a damn good turbo though, mine is as sweet as, was thinking of replacing it with the 7mgte one though oneday. but thats for sure, they are old and turbo design has improved greatly over the years.

all these comparisions your making about your car, what are you comparing it to, your ST162, or that WRX in the pics next to the GT4, if your comparing a WRX to a GT4, thats why your disappointed with it. you shouldn't be comparing it to anything at all No No No
Wiso - I gotta go back to my clear style of post writing. I was saying that the intake isn't the most restrictive part of the engine. I think the dump pipe is one of the more highly restrictive parts of the factory set up...see the dyno graph in the members rides section to see how it doesn't produce good boost after about 5200rpm. There's something restricting there, for sure! Can't be good for heat or thermal efficiency either.

I think the benchmark for these cars (turbo 4WDs) are the WRXs and the Evos etc and the fact that I put the GT4 in the same class as those cars is a compliment! Even if it comes off second best, I still think it is a sweet car and I'm enjoying every minute of it Smile
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: Woot! ST165 around the corner Sat, 11 September 2004 03:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well at least yor bottom end isnt fucked up, i saw your car there last week when i went in to speak to the jaustech chaps, friggen clean man, nice pickup, so when are you changin your name? Laughing
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: Woot! ST165 around the corner Sat, 11 September 2004 03:29 Go to previous message
It stands four 'Four Wheel Drive boy' I guess Razz

The car is mostly clean, except for needing a respray!

Needs a new ISC VSV though...damn thing idles at 1500 non-stop even when adjusted all the way down.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:How to identify International standards markings (seatbelt & glass)
Next Topic:Nice car
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri May 3 18:04:49 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0070869922637939 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.