Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Able to get a RWC on panel damaged car?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
7M-Brisbane
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Able to get a RWC on panel damaged car? Thu, 09 September 2004 13:21 Go to next message
Hi guys

My understanding is that you should be able to get registration on a car with panel damage as long as this does not pose a primary (ie. structural) or secondary (ie. pedestrians) threat to safety. I have a car that I'm going to do the body on as a long-ish term thing, but wanted to get it registered in the mean time. The damage looks very ugly as the previous owner bashed it out rather messily, but is little more than cosmetic stuff requiring a replacement guard.

There's certainly nothing structural wrong, no cracks in the floorpan, roof bends, and the chassis by eye certainly doesn't seem to be out of whack. So, assuming the rest of the car is in a generally sound mechanical condition, will this pose a roadworthy issue?

I can't see how it would, but I guess it might well make the giver of the RWC look extra hard for other grounds to fail me. Thoughts?

http://www.turbosupras.com/~lmdwyer/RT104/New%20Corona%20Damage.jpg

[Updated on: Thu, 09 September 2004 13:21]

Send a private message to this user    
fade-e
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Able to get a RWC on panel damaged car? Thu, 09 September 2004 13:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
they may require you to at least cover up the surface rust prevailing. basically a spray can of primer and go over it.

they will give the 'surface rust will become bigger' if they see it
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: Able to get a RWC on panel damaged car? Thu, 09 September 2004 13:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think so. But once again it depends who you take it to. You may just get a prick of a fella who is very strict? My corolla passed RWC and it has more rust showing than that but no actual damage there.
7M-Brisbane
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: Able to get a RWC on panel damaged car? Thu, 09 September 2004 13:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oh well, once this rack & pinion conversion is paid for I'll start pouring a bit of money into the mechanicals and give them as few reasons as possible to fail me.

That's the great thing about simple, old, common cars. You can get nearly any part you want for next to nicks.. brand new brake rotors are $45 each!!! I'm not even going to bother checking if mine are undersized or need machining, I'm just going to replace them and be done. Caliper rebuilds are $30 each... I can do it myself a little cheaper but why would I bother! New brake lines.. off the shelf.. twenty bucks!

Farked if I'm ever modifying another car!
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: Able to get a RWC on panel damaged car? Thu, 09 September 2004 13:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
in Qld, they don't like visible rust - well in my experience, that's been the case.

i would: buy spray can of yellow paint, sand back a bit, mask up then go crazy

a picky RWC inspector might want to ensure that the drainage still works on the inside of the panel, and that there's no structural damage inside, and that the external fittings (lights & rear bar) are still firmly atached.
gr8r-x
Regular

September 2004
Re: Able to get a RWC on panel damaged car? Fri, 10 September 2004 02:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just had an initial RWC done on my new car (KE55) and one of the items that needed attention was the rust over the rear guards.. This was in VIC, and there wasn't really anything else wrong with it, they could've been nit-pickin'. Very Happy
hemi twofifteen turbo
Regular

October 2003
Re: Able to get a RWC on panel damaged car? Sat, 11 September 2004 07:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I had a corona 1980 wagon with a back that looked identical to that.. (did you use a cricket bat too to knock it out?)
I sprayed white paint over it and got a RWC and reg with no probs. Just paint it, take it down and do the test.
brett_celicacoupe
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: Able to get a RWC on panel damaged car? Sat, 11 September 2004 09:05 Go to previous message
my celica was all rusted in that panel. i cut out a peice about 300mm long x 150 high and welded in a peice to suit with a MIG. it wasnt anywhere near a main structural rib, and ive used filler over it to get it smooth lookin from the outside. im in queensland, does anyone think this will pass?? Confused

thanx

brett
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:4 cyl turbo in Corona
Next Topic:Chrome plating
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 12:29:04 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0034098625183105 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.