Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
steve-O
Regular

February 2004
ae86 rack into t-18 Fri, 10 September 2004 06:13 Go to next message
hey does anybody know if you can put a ae86 rack and pinion steering set up into a t-18???
any info would be good
  Send a private message to this user    
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: ae86 rack into t-18 Fri, 10 September 2004 06:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
As far as I know T18's use a steering box setup. So without a lot of work, no.

Someone please correct me if i'm wrong and some T18's do have r&p?
ae95
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2003
Re: ae86 rack into t-18 Fri, 10 September 2004 06:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Te71/72's have a reticulating ball setup.
i have heard about doing the r&p conversion by transferring the crossmember and rack all over. im told you need to cut the firewall to compensate for the steering column which goes in at a different angle.
steve-O
Regular

February 2004
Re: ae86 rack into t-18 Fri, 10 September 2004 09:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
so does that mean if i was to use a rack and crossmember from an ae86 i can bolt up?? and does anyone know which t-18's came with rack and pinion?
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: ae86 rack into t-18 Fri, 10 September 2004 10:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
KE70 Corolla's (ie same chassis as TE7x) came with rack-and-pinion steering. If you want to do a conversion it would be logical to use the crossmember and steering hardware from one of these.
joeninety
Regular

March 2004
Re: ae86 rack into t-18 Fri, 10 September 2004 22:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ke or ae crossmember would require k or a series motor,corect?
Not such a bad thing though (a).
ae95
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2003
Re: ae86 rack into t-18 Sat, 11 September 2004 05:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
no t18s came with r&p
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: ae86 rack into t-18 Sat, 11 September 2004 05:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The crossmember bolts right in, then you have to swap around the engine mounts on the member if you want to use a T engine.
steve-O
Regular

February 2004
Re: ae86 rack into t-18 Sat, 11 September 2004 10:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok so the ae86 crossmember will fit i'll just have to switch the engine mounts for a T series engine? is there a difference in spacing of the mounts on the crossmember? and does anyone have any info on fitting a 1g-gte to that crossmember??
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: ae86 rack into t-18 Sat, 11 September 2004 12:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The mounts need to come forward for the T engine as opposed to an A engine. Remember that a KE70 member will do just as well for what you want, and probably be easier to find..
ae95
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2003
Re: ae86 rack into t-18 Sat, 11 September 2004 15:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
and 100 times cheaper Laughing
steve-O
Regular

February 2004
Re: ae86 rack into t-18 Sun, 12 September 2004 00:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
around how much do you think?
Jonny2TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: ae86 rack into t-18 Sun, 12 September 2004 02:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No T engined car ever came with rack and pinion. Rack and pinion only came in the KE70 and AE71, and AE86. This is because the 2T/3T is a bigger engine, and with the gearbox-block stiffeners, bigger sump etc, it is hard to fit both a 2T/3T and a rack and pinion in the same car.

I put rack and pinion in my KE55 once, with 4K motor. It was alot of work. Just putting it in seamed easy (had to make a hybred steering colum, welded mounts to the crossmember etc). Then it took many sleepless nights wondering why it didn't work. Its all about geometry, and takes the most intelegent and mechanical minded person to work it out. I eventualy got it all out again, had to cut/weld/machine most of the parts to the right lengths and angles, and got it to work finaly and the car handled great.

Then I put the 2T-G in and the rack and pinion would not fit with it so I gave up and went back to the old steering. The old steering is ok. I advise against any rack and pinion conversion, unless you think you are very smart, have a lathe, a tig welder, lots of spare time, and lots of Technical LEGOtm to help you think why it didn't work the first time.

(Its all about bump steer, I know the secret if you must do this)
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: ae86 rack into t-18 Sun, 12 September 2004 02:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well it IS possible to stuff the rack+peanut under a T engine, just that real estate is kind of expensive.. The advantage of a T18 over a KE55 is that you can use all the factory parts from the one car - crossmember, rack, lower arms, struts, etc. wherever you need to in order to get things to work without nasty surprises.
Purple_Beasty
Regular

May 2002
icon12.gif  Re: ae86 rack into t-18 Sun, 12 September 2004 11:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jonny2TG wrote on Sun, 12 September 2004 14:34

No T engined car ever came with rack and pinion.

I take it you mean T series Corolla. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Callum
Jonny2TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: ae86 rack into t-18 Sun, 12 September 2004 12:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OK you are right. There was the TA63 Celica, and TT144 Corona both with 3T-GTE engine and rack and pinion. Also maybe a TA60 type car with 2T-GEU and rack and pinion?

Note how some later model 2T-GEU engines have narrower box-block stiffeners. The iron stiffeners bolt to 2 holes in the block either side, but only a single bolt hole where it bolts to the gearbox. Maybe for rack and pinion clearance.
steve-O
Regular

February 2004
Re: ae86 rack into t-18 Mon, 13 September 2004 08:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok thanks for that guys. now does anyone know if its easier to install a 1g on the ke70 crossmember or the ae86 member because if i go a rack and pinion the T engine wil be gone, any help??
thanks

[Updated on: Mon, 13 September 2004 10:23]

Purple_Beasty
Regular

May 2002
Re: ae86 rack into t-18 Mon, 13 September 2004 09:12 Go to previous message
Jonny2TG wrote on Mon, 13 September 2004 00:31

Note how some later model 2T-GEU engines have narrower box-block stiffeners. The iron stiffeners bolt to 2 holes in the block either side, but only a single bolt hole where it bolts to the gearbox. Maybe for rack and pinion clearance.

I can check mine for you next time I get near my car if you want. The TA6X (not sure on the number might be 3) with 2TG is also definitely rack and pinion. I can try to check my mates one as well to see if there is a difference between the block stiffeners for the T50 and W55 boxes.

Callum
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:4age need some info
Next Topic:7M-GTE MA61 rear Diff choice?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat May 11 15:20:24 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0068669319152832 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.