Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » 7M into MA61 cost??

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
boxh34d
Regular

May 2004
icon5.gif  7M into MA61 cost?? Fri, 10 September 2004 07:29 Go to next message
as the name suggests, i was interested to know what people have spent transplanting a 7MGE into an MA61 supra..
yes, i know that there are plenty of better more interesting choices out there, but just for ease of install, and lower insurance.
thanks guys.
  Send a private message to this user    
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: 7M into MA61 cost?? Fri, 10 September 2004 07:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
itll pretty much cost you only what the engine purchase price is, and someone to wire it up. Motor shouldnt cost you over 1k.
Id allow 2k for the complete conversion...
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: 7M into MA61 cost?? Fri, 10 September 2004 09:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sounds about right.

Unless you freshen the motor up a bit.

Otherwise its cost of slight exhaust modification, cost of wiring, and thats about it.

Maybe some radiator hoses.
Is the powersteering pump in the same place with the same connectors?
I know the alternator has moved.
How about aircon lines? do they differ?

You will need some small custom intake modifications too.
And MAYBE some fuel line mods.

PM Ed_ma61, he has done this conversion
Celia-Sue
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: 7M into MA61 cost?? Fri, 10 September 2004 09:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Anyone still have Andy from NZ's write-up on this conversion? That'd be the best place to start guestimating what's needed and parts, etc.
Cyber-punk
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: 7M into MA61 cost?? Fri, 10 September 2004 09:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thats the 7m-gte conversion i think
probably slightly different again
Celia-Sue
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: 7M into MA61 cost?? Fri, 10 September 2004 09:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message

My bad - wan't paying enough attention Embarassed
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 7M into MA61 cost?? Fri, 10 September 2004 10:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
V8_MA61 wrote on Fri, 10 September 2004 17:40

itll pretty much cost you only what the engine purchase price is, and someone to wire it up.

I have NEVER known an engine conversion to work out that cheap or easy, and I've seen/been involved in enough conversions to conclude it just never works out that way. Even my 6M->MA61 conversion (which is considerably easier) took a lot more time and money than implied above.

Having said that, the 7M-GE conversion is probably one of the cheapest/easiest conversions you can do in an MA61. Just make sure you budget for it; I'd set aside $4k to be safe, and don't be at all surprised if it goes above that before you're completely finished.

Enjoy! Smile

[Updated on: Fri, 10 September 2004 10:24]

BlackSupra
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: 7M into MA61 cost?? Fri, 10 September 2004 10:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
$4k for a 7m

"tell him he's dreaming!"

JZ powahz...
Yian
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

August 2004
Re: 7M into MA61 cost?? Fri, 10 September 2004 10:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well, I'm in the process of doing a 7MGTE conversion on my Ma61. Have costed me around $5k (including suspension work, slightly uprated brakes and freshening up the motor). Wouldn't be suprised if I hit the $6k mark *sigh*
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: 7M into MA61 cost?? Fri, 10 September 2004 10:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yian wrote on Fri, 10 September 2004 20:43

Well, I'm in the process of doing a 7MGTE conversion on my Ma61. Have costed me around $5k (including suspension work, slightly uprated brakes and freshening up the motor). Wouldn't be suprised if I hit the $6k mark *sigh*

the GTE is a lot more expensive project though. Look at the cost of cooler, bov, piping, gauges and all associated crap.

Id seriously think something was wrong if you spent over 4k doing a 7mge convo. Thats obviously depends on your initial price on motor. id personally try and buy one with a history, but thats probly unlikely with old 7ms..

Another route to take is rebuilding one before installing, then it will cost you to a bit over the 4k mark.

it depends whether you want to keep the GE for a while and then to upgrade, or if you want to keep the GE for years to come. Thats the decision you have to make according to how much you want to spend.
Yian
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

August 2004
Re: 7M into MA61 cost?? Fri, 10 September 2004 11:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
True that, true that. Even though I managed to scavenge most of the piping, cooler and oil cooler of the car. My mechanic gave me this shitty green no-name BOV for free so tats money saved heh. But gauges.. why do they have to be so expensive ugh...
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 7M into MA61 cost?? Fri, 10 September 2004 11:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
By the time you've got the engine in, wiring done, the P/S and A/C working, all the consumables (possibly including clutch) replaced, and any annoying breakages or other unexpected shitty things sorted, $4k is perfectly reasonable.

Trust me, engine conversions are a lot more expensive than they appear to be on paper. If you can get it done cheaper, great, but don't count on it. Smile
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 7M into MA61 cost?? Fri, 10 September 2004 17:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message

itll pretty much cost you only what the engine purchase price is, and someone to wire it up.

LOL Laughing
boxh34d
Regular

May 2004
Re: 7M into MA61 cost?? Sun, 12 September 2004 06:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thanks for the replies peoples.
i was thinking around the 3k mark not including the cost of the engine, taking into account things like cooling systems, clutches etc.
'sighs', might have to wait a while Sad
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 7M into MA61 cost?? Sun, 12 September 2004 07:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
boxh34d wrote on Sun, 12 September 2004 16:26

i was thinking around the 3k mark not including the cost of the engine, taking into account things like cooling systems, clutches etc.

Sounds sensible. Good luck! Smile
wilbo666
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 7M into MA61 cost?? Sun, 12 September 2004 11:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gianttomato wrote on Sat, 11 September 2004 03:27

LOL Laughing

Doesn't it cost a tank of petrol on top of that? Laughing

Cheers
Wilbo
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: 7M into MA61 cost?? Sun, 12 September 2004 11:40 Go to previous message
wilbo666 wrote on Sun, 12 September 2004 21:37

gianttomato wrote on Sat, 11 September 2004 03:27

LOL Laughing

Doesn't it cost a tank of petrol on top of that? Laughing

Cheers
Wilbo

uhh...riiiiiiight
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:78 corona and rims
Next Topic:How can I get low 15's from an AE93 SX Seca
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu May 9 19:26:18 UTC 2024