Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Stock sprinter + $3000, advice?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
KOD 86
Newcomer

September 2004
Stock sprinter + $3000, advice? Fri, 10 September 2004 08:39 Go to next message
I have an 83 sprinter, stock.I also have a 4AGE that needs some work.I would like some advice on parts i need and on where to get them.
4AGE needs-
-Head Gasket
-Fuel Pump
-Fuel Rail
-Altenator
-Extractors
I can get all parts exept head gasket,and extractors.
Also i need an ECU, i was planning on getting an aftermarket one, ideas?There are a lot of things i need.Maybe i should post this in parts wanted.
Nick
  Send a private message to this user    
ae95
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2003
Re: Stock sprinter + $3000, advice? Fri, 10 September 2004 08:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
anthony kellam has extractors or you could check for sale section
headgasket from auto parts store or toyota?

many types of aftermarket ecu's, choice is upto you
7M-Brisbane
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: Stock sprinter + $3000, advice? Fri, 10 September 2004 08:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you have a stock sprinter and $3,000 I would strongly suggest you lok at doing a 4AGZE conversion. I'm not really into sprinters or 4A's, but you can probably get a good engine loom & factory ecu for about $1000-$1500 and the rest to do a basic installation.

You'd be nuts spending $3k on a stock 4AGE.
KOD 86
Newcomer

September 2004
Re: Stock sprinter + $3000, advice? Fri, 10 September 2004 08:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well im not sure, i think i should get an aftermarket ECU, just because then i can tune it and further mods will be fine.That said, what will a stock ECU and loom cost me, i have a whole list of parts i want/ need.Like an LSD,and suspension.If you are prepaired to listen i will post them.
Nick
KOD 86
Newcomer

September 2004
Re: Stock sprinter + $3000, advice? Fri, 10 September 2004 08:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I already have a 4AGE, not in the car yet.I got it for free, so i will be using it.The rest if the money will be, diff, disc's, cage, suspension etc. Whatever i can afford.
Nick
AE86slut
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: Stock sprinter + $3000, advice? Fri, 10 September 2004 08:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
KOD 86 wrote on Fri, 10 September 2004 18:56

Like an LSD

Hmmm..... Dude, things cost a lot. Have you actually priced stuff up? I don't mean to sound condescending, but doing up an AE86 is not the cheapest job around if you do it properly.
ae95
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2003
Re: Stock sprinter + $3000, advice? Fri, 10 September 2004 09:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
susp ~ 2k
diff ~ 2k
full cage ~ 1k
average prices
KOD 86
Newcomer

September 2004
Re: Stock sprinter + $3000, advice? Fri, 10 September 2004 09:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah i have priced stuff, LSD, i want to try and get for $1000, we shall see.I know things are expensive, but right now this all i have and want to know what is the best plan.First i want to get my 4AGE in and running, then a Diff. I will then figure out where to go from there.Im not sure on the price of suspension, i know i could spend thousands but what is the cheapest and best solution. I know i am being difficult, wanting everything for nothing, and i probably wont get evrything i want, but i will make a start with the money i have.
Nick
AE86slut
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: Stock sprinter + $3000, advice? Fri, 10 September 2004 09:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
All I can suggest is, get the engine together and installed before you spend money on anything else. Don't forget to do basic things like timing belt (Garth Rolling Eyes ) new plugs etc... I'm pretty confident that after you get the engine in, there won't be as much money left over as you thought. There's always cunty little things and it's these that blow budgets way out.
7M-Brisbane
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: Stock sprinter + $3000, advice? Fri, 10 September 2004 09:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah, once you have all that stuff in your car, can you come and build mine for me? I have 80c here, that should be enough... right? Very Happy

Quote:

full cage ~ 1k
average price

Um.... that's a mighty average rollcage. What's it made from, PVC and zip ties? Last time I looked into it, a quality cage was more like two-three times that amount.
KOD 86
Newcomer

September 2004
Re: Stock sprinter + $3000, advice? Fri, 10 September 2004 09:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah thats what i think as well, i will get it going, then figure it out.By that time i will be broke and will not need to make a decision and parts.
Thanks
Nick
takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: Stock sprinter + $3000, advice? Fri, 10 September 2004 09:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Full cage generally costs between 1500 and 2500 depending on materials and options.
1/2 cage for 1k maybe.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Stock sprinter + $3000, advice? Fri, 10 September 2004 10:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
7M-Brisbane wrote on Fri, 10 September 2004 19:28

Um.... that's a mighty average rollcage. What's it made from, PVC and zip ties? Last time I looked into it, a quality cage was more like two-three times that amount.

What do you have against PVC and zip-ties?
ShiRi
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Stock sprinter + $3000, advice? Fri, 10 September 2004 10:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
KOD... first thing u gotta do is fuck off the stock suspension, get something in there... even if its just new springs and shocks, cause 21 year old suspension is a REAL bitch... a semi decent suspension package is gonna cost u around 500... kyb and kign will do u fine for ur tigh tbudget...

so now ur left with another 2500...

get urself a lsd and a t-18 diff... thats about 1,000

1500 left?

100KW 4age... install it yourself

your 3k is gone, but u've got urself a mean ride...

good luck!

[Updated on: Fri, 10 September 2004 10:23]

KOD 86
Newcomer

September 2004
Re: Stock sprinter + $3000, advice? Fri, 10 September 2004 10:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks, that was what i wanted as a reply! I will start work on Monday, first thing is cleaning up the 4AGE and sorting out suspension.Thanks for everyones help.
Nick
shcao
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: Stock sprinter + $3000, advice? Fri, 10 September 2004 10:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you think 1500 dollars for a 4age installation is going to cut it? even if you do do it yourself.

I Guess it depends on how many shortcuts you take and if you are going to bring it to an auto electrician.
ShiRi
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Stock sprinter + $3000, advice? Fri, 10 September 2004 11:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
defently if u can do it urself it won't cost u a dime...

someone did it himself ... was it ae92??? i think... didn't cost him anything...

[Updated on: Fri, 10 September 2004 11:03]

ae95
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2003
Re: Stock sprinter + $3000, advice? Fri, 10 September 2004 11:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
7M-Brisbane wrote on Fri, 10 September 2004 17:28

Yeah, once you have all that stuff in your car, can you come and build mine for me? I have 80c here, that should be enough... right? Very Happy

Quote:

full cage ~ 1k
average price

for your info banzai has a full safety 21 cage for 800

http://www.banzaimotorsports.com.au/images/stock/rs_racing2003-img600x450-1081541705dsc00055.jpg

does it look like pvc to you?

[Updated on: Fri, 10 September 2004 11:08]

ae95
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2003
Re: Stock sprinter + $3000, advice? Fri, 10 September 2004 11:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i've seen half cages for around 500
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Stock sprinter + $3000, advice? Fri, 10 September 2004 11:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ae95 wrote on Fri, 10 September 2004 21:06

Maybe not PVC, but it does look pretty flimsy!
ae95
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2003
Re: Stock sprinter + $3000, advice? Fri, 10 September 2004 11:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://www.cusco.co.jp/english/e_rollbar.html
maybe cusco should look to you to redesign their cages?

[Updated on: Fri, 10 September 2004 11:17]

Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Stock sprinter + $3000, advice? Fri, 10 September 2004 11:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jeez, calm down Mr Defensive! I've got this mental image of you poking me in the chest trying to start a fight... "maybe Cusco should look to you to redesign their cages, tough guy! Huh? Huh??" *poke* Laughing

I'm not saying it doesn't fulfil its intended purpose (ie prevent the driver from being squashed in a rollover), but anyone with eyes can see that contraption is pretty flimsy as rollcages go. When I think of a "full cage" I'm thinking a proper cross-braced cage like you see in practically all forms of motorsport.
Cyber-punk
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: Stock sprinter + $3000, advice? Fri, 10 September 2004 11:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Norbie wrote on Fri, 10 September 2004 21:23

Jeez, calm down Mr Defensive! I've got this mental image of you poking me in the chest trying to start a fight... "maybe Cusco should look to you to redesign their cages, tough guy! Huh? Huh??" *poke* Laughing

I'm not saying it doesn't fulfil its intended purpose (ie prevent the driver from being squashed in a rollover), but anyone with eyes can see that contraption is pretty flimsy as rollcages go. When I think of a "full cage" I'm thinking a proper cross-braced cage like you see in practically all forms of motorsport.

just need a couple bits of angle pop rivited to it Wink
ae95
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2003
Re: Stock sprinter + $3000, advice? Fri, 10 September 2004 11:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
im quite calm, got any other useful info you would like to contribute to this thread?
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Stock sprinter + $3000, advice? Fri, 10 September 2004 11:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes. You smell like wee.
Matt-AE86
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

October 2003

Re: Stock sprinter + $3000, advice? Fri, 10 September 2004 12:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
and you smell like you have a fist imprint in your face Smile

CALM DOWN Surprised
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Stock sprinter + $3000, advice? Fri, 10 September 2004 12:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Norbie wrote on Fri, 10 September 2004 19:13

ae95 wrote on Fri, 10 September 2004 21:06

Maybe not PVC, but it does look pretty flimsy!

Anything to add rigidity to an AE86 chassis can only be a good thing.
AE86slut
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: Stock sprinter + $3000, advice? Fri, 10 September 2004 13:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ShiRi wrote on Fri, 10 September 2004 21:01

defently if u can do it urself it won't cost u a dime...

someone did it himself ... was it ae92??? i think... didn't cost him anything...

I did mine myself.... Except for wiring. Even minus that, there is no way I could have done it for $1,500.... That is, properly anyways.
takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: Stock sprinter + $3000, advice? Fri, 10 September 2004 13:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

From Cusco Site
*40mm chrome molybdenum pipes used 33% percent lighter that a similar steel roll bar.
*Lightweight joints used Increased safety with competition roll bar layout.
*Mounted such to increase body rigidity.
Our bar layout is designed from extensive experience. Bar structures based on feedback from the track that looks good as it's effective. Designed from our extensive experience, the rigidity seen in the interior extensive piping is a feedback from our racing experience.

I have something to add regarding this.
The supposed safety21 cage is more like a "safe"ty 21 cage. It is nothing more than a cosmetic cage which will do nothing in the case of a roll over accident, which is what a cage is designed to protect the driver from. The 40mm Chromoly pipe is thinner than even the mild steel (read: stronger, less brittle, more impact absorbing) which CAMS require on their cages. The minimum thickness for a CAMS compliant cage is 44.45mm, and 2.5mm pipe wall (Schedule J, Section 4). The 40mm thickness is way under this. In addition im 99% sure that the June update stated that Chromoly cages must be at least 1.5 to 2 times the physical thickness/size as their mild steel equivalents in order to compensate for the lack of strength.

Secondly, the safety21 cage design only complies to 3 of the 22 CAMS ROPS specifications, and as such does not comply as a CAMS cage. Not only that, but the welds on a Safety21 cage are flimsy at best and the last one i saw had cracking in the rear stay and main hoop welds a mere 2 months after it was installed. In addition, the cage is a bolt in cage, with no reinforcement to the floor. In the case of a rollover accident, it is highly likely that the cage will tear through the sheet metal which makes up the floor of an AE86. All of the safety21 cages that i have inspected (around 5-6) have not even been mounted to the chassis rails, and rather straight to the sheet metal floor. This is a design flaw, not an install flaw, because the design is such that it can never be bolted to the chassis rails as this woudl impede the driver/navigator. However, it is possible on the main hoop and the rear hoop if not the front hoop. In the case of a rollover the cage is actually more likely to cause serious injury to the driver/passenger than protect from anything.

Thirdly, with the mounting design there is no lateral support except in the roof, therefore the lateral mounts (floor) are more likely to shear the bolts under a side impact rather than add anything to the structural rigidity of the car. In addition i would question their stability in heavy cornering, as there are no horizontal stays or supports lower than the roof. As far as structural rigidity the A-spec bar would be quite superior to the Cusco cage.

Also the complete lack of diagonal crossbracing does not lead me to conclude that there is any significant torsional (N-S) rigidity in this cage at all. In addition this immediately disqualifies it from being a CAMS certified cage.

I hope this short expose gives you a small insight into why i absolutely do not trust the "safe"ty 21 cage, and certainly would not make my life depend on it. Sure if you want a cosmetic cage, which looks nice, and may add some minor rigidity go ahead and spend your $800 on it. But i wouldnt poke it with a barge pole.
I have nothing against Cusco, and infact i quite admire some of their products, and use them on my car. But having blind faith in a product because its blue (or any other manufacturer's colour) and comes with a shiny sticker (and lets face it, the metal stickers are nice and shiny) is foolish in my eyes. A product should stand on its own merits, not be supported by a shiny brandname.

EDIT: I also forgot to mention that the design with the pipework moulded around the front of the dash is merely adding stress points which the already brittle Chromoly does not need adding to. The hoop legs should be as straight as possible without major stress points, otherwise stress fractures are likely to develop.

[Updated on: Fri, 10 September 2004 14:01]

7M-Brisbane
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: Stock sprinter + $3000, advice? Fri, 10 September 2004 14:18 Go to previous message
Quote:

for your info banzai has a full safety 21 cage for 800

You think that's a roll cage? That's a rice cage, it won't do anything.

What did you say it cost... $800? Well then I take that other comment back, it does do soemthing.. it wastes $800!

Anyway I'm glad takai's head is screwed on, and appreciate him saving me the trouble.

[Updated on: Fri, 10 September 2004 14:23]

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:T18 gearbox good for sprinter?
Next Topic:who will rebuild my engine??
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 06:55:24 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0077168941497803 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.