Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Lug Nuts ... ???

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Lug Nuts ... ??? Fri, 10 September 2004 11:33 Go to next message
problem:

ive got a set of wheels that originally came off a ford, and they came with a set of tamper proof lug nuts.

now the ford nuts are the wrong thread for toyota studs, so i have to find some replacemnt nuts that do fit. thing is, all the toyota nuts ive found are the wrong shape.

youll notice that the original ford nut (the long one) has a tapered tip, then the taper progresses into a straight machined section for a few mm before, finally, the drive face of the nut is encountered. the toyota nut just has the taper, then its straight into the drive face.

as such, the toyota nut fouls when fitted. the taper doesnt engage the wheel properly (if at all) as the shoulder of the drive faces binds into the edge of the hole in the wheel.

does anyone know a way around this?

can anyone think of any toyota nuts that have a shape similar to the ford nuts? does anyone sell lug nuts (not the tamper proof ones) that might have something that matches? as a last resort, am i forced to take the toyota nuts, and have them machined? if so, can anyone think of any 'extra long' toyota nuts that can have a bit machined into them, yet leave a decent amount of drive face remaining?

cheers
ed

http://www4.tpg.com.au/users/loats/downloads/2004_0909Image0005.JPG

http://www4.tpg.com.au/users/loats/downloads/2004_0909Image0001.JPG
  Send a private message to this user    
munki
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: Lug Nuts ... ??? Fri, 10 September 2004 11:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what about hilux nuts? our old 82 had ford mags dunno if that helps but its a start.
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Lug Nuts ... ??? Fri, 10 September 2004 11:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What kind or rims are you using? The photo of the wheel at the bottom looks like the washer is missing.
Also the nut on the right is to suit steel rims.
rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Lug Nuts ... ??? Fri, 10 September 2004 11:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
just go buy some maybe?
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Lug Nuts ... ??? Fri, 10 September 2004 11:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rob - i havnt found any that are right

shane - the lug nuts the wheels were fitted with never had any washers - they relied soely on the taper, so im not sure if theyre meant to be installed with nuts that have washer.perhaps the wheel is just machined to accept the shape of the socket when installing/removing the nuts?? i dunno

yeah, that particular nut is from a steel wheel, but ive not found anything remarkable different
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Lug Nuts ... ??? Fri, 10 September 2004 11:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oh, theyre BBS rims
rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Lug Nuts ... ??? Fri, 10 September 2004 11:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i have a set u could possibly machine to size, they have a long shaft before the hex.

but they are going with the wheels im selling

fatts
Newcomer

September 2004
Re: Lug Nuts ... ??? Fri, 10 September 2004 11:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Find a set of studs with the same thread as the ford nuts, punch out your old studs from the hub, and pop the new studs in ?

It is my professional opinion that a fastener should only be altered as a last resort, especially one like a wheel nut.
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Lug Nuts ... ??? Fri, 10 September 2004 12:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thanks rob, ill try and find the correct fitting ones frst though Confused

PS - toyota stud thread is M12 x 1.5mm
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Lug Nuts ... ??? Fri, 10 September 2004 12:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
fatts wrote on Fri, 10 September 2004 21:59

Find a set of studs with the same thread as the ford nuts, punch out your old studs from the hub, and pop the new studs in ?

It is my professional opinion that a fastener should only be altered as a last resort, especially one like a wheel nut.

ford/toyota studs are completely incompatible. you cannot press a ford stud into a toyota hub, no on your life. nor are there any ford studs long enough for the application as it is - but thats acedemic.

and i agree, a fastener should not be modified. hence this post
fatts
Newcomer

September 2004
Re: Lug Nuts ... ??? Fri, 10 September 2004 12:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ed_ma61 wrote on Fri, 10 September 2004 22:03

fatts wrote on Fri, 10 September 2004 21:59

ford/toyota studs are completely incompatible. you cannot press a ford stud into a toyota hub, no on your life. nor are there any ford studs long enough for the application as it is - but thats acedemic.

and i agree, a fastener should not be modified. hence this post

Thats quite a pickle you're in then.
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Lug Nuts ... ??? Sat, 11 September 2004 03:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bump
CLG
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

December 2002
Re: Lug Nuts ... ??? Sat, 11 September 2004 03:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed, the step in the Ford wheel nut is to allow a chromed steel or plastic hubcap to be retained without damage - these type of wheel nuts are common on XA-XD Falcons, but this doesn't help you with your dilema. Short of finding a 12x1.5 wheel nut that also retains a centre cap, my only other suggestion for you is to find a nut with a smaller drive width than the actual nut themselves, so you eliminate the binding drive faces - I have a few of these so they do exist.
7M-Brisbane
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: Lug Nuts ... ??? Sat, 11 September 2004 03:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Try a Mk3 Supra wheel nut (also the same as some Camrys I believe). I can't remember exactly what they look like, as I haven't worked on a mk3 for over a year, but I'm fairly sure they are similar tot he ones you need.
Fattony
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Lug Nuts ... ??? Sat, 11 September 2004 03:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have a brochure here from when i required special wheel nuts. From what i can see here that this company does stock the wheel nuts you require, however there is a slight problem. The stockist i got the nuts from is in victoria and your in syd. They are a californian company called Mr. Lugnut, ive done a search and it appears that their web page no longer works, if you can perhaps find out their email and contact them they might be able to point you in the direction of a distributor in your state, though if you have no luck they number of the person i contacted was (03)59981111
Or here is the companies contact info

The Wheel Group/Mr. Lugnut
12905 S. Spring St.
Los Angeles, CA 90061+1120 US
phone: (310) 324-1111
fax: (310) 324-4724

Cheers Adam

[Updated on: Sat, 11 September 2004 04:00]

ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Lug Nuts ... ??? Sat, 11 September 2004 08:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thanks adam - shall go hunting.

i have no dramas getting stuff from melb, so will give them a call

cheers
ed
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Lug Nuts ... ??? Sat, 11 September 2004 09:42 Go to previous message
found some Very Happy

gorilla lock nuts and lug nuts:

http://www.gorilla-auto.com/

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?view= 289&part=GOR%2D71633N&N=120+306848&app lid=%7BAE47B384%2D3554%2D4E74%2D9E2D%2DFC694C50F3F 2%7D

http://www.gorilla-auto.com/imagesProducts3/5026.jpg

lock nuts

http://www.gorilla-auto.com/imagesProducts3/5707.jpg

and in black!!!

http://www.gorilla-auto.com/imagesProducts3/5713.jpg

[Updated on: Sat, 11 September 2004 10:02]

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:fucked engine
Next Topic:4 cyl turbo in Corona
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-