Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
jazae86
Regular

I supported Toymods

May 2002
Pilot/spigot bearing RWD 4AG Sat, 05 October 2002 10:34 Go to next message
I need to remove the pilot bearing from my 4AG. The bearing is completely naffed (feels like sand in the race Shocked )

I tried to do what the American Hynes AE86 manual suggested:
Hydraulic pressue:
filled space behind bearing with grease: put a socket on extension into centre of bearing: then hit with hammer. grease transfers force of hammer to into pushing bearing out.

All I manged to do was pop the outer seal off the bearing so the grease comes out when I hammer the socket in.

What I need to know is if there is any other trick ways I may get it out without having to buy a puller (if they even make puller's small enough)

Thanks,
Jaz
  Send a private message to this user    
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Pilot/spigot bearing RWD 4AG Sat, 05 October 2002 12:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grease works fine, if done carefully. You've gotta use a grease gun to fill it up, making sure its completely full of grease. Then get a piece of bar that is a nice tight fit (not sloppy!), sit it in the end of the bearing, and give it a wack on the end. It won't work if the bearing's not completely full of grease and the piece of bar isn't a really good fit though!

Other trick is to use a bolt with washers to make a puller.
jazae86
Regular

I supported Toymods

May 2002
Re: Pilot/spigot bearing RWD 4AG Sat, 05 October 2002 13:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I will give it another go tomorrow, but like I said, cause I have popped the outer seal off the bearing, the grease comes out pretty easy, well too easy. When you hit the plunger/socket, it just squirts out the race past the bearing balls.

Jaz
dorikin
Regular

I supported Toymods

May 2002
Re: Pilot/spigot bearing RWD 4AG Sun, 06 October 2002 03:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i suggest that a slide hammer would be best for this. with a hook type end, it will fit behine the centre of the bearing and should pop righ out with a few small blows. slide hammers are not complicated if you wanted to fabrice one of your own, or try a panenl beater, they often have small slide hammers for dent pulling.

the aformentioned methof of hydraulic pressing out is best suited to bush type spiggot arrangements where the greese cannot slide easily past the race.
IRA11Y
Forums Junkie

Club Member

May 2002

Re: Pilot/spigot bearing RWD 4AG Sun, 06 October 2002 05:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if you cant get it out with the grease trick then take a lump hammer and a cold chisel and smash it to pieces, but be carefull not to sore the crank where you have to put the new one back in or you will have a painfull problem to file it all smooth again.
RA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Pilot/spigot bearing RWD 4AG Sun, 06 October 2002 15:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dude, just make a puller out of a nut & bolt and aplate of steel. Just grind the top of a bolt down so that it just fits inside the bearing, put a steel pipe or something that sits around the bearing put the bolt through a settl plate ith a hole in it and screw the nut on. It'll take a couple of goes but it works.

Tim.
Seadog
Regular

May 2002
Re: Pilot/spigot bearing RWD 4AG Mon, 07 October 2002 07:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok, I haven't tried this but if the others dont work maybe get a dynabolt that just fits through the centre of the bearing, and put a plate over the flywheel to pull it out with. Kind of like a mini puller.
Just in case you didn't know, a dynabolt is used into concrete, it expands as you tighten it and wedges itself in.
jazae86
Regular

I supported Toymods

May 2002
Re: Pilot/spigot bearing RWD 4AG Mon, 07 October 2002 10:35 Go to previous message
Thanks alot for the help guys.
I will try Tim's suggestion before I destroy the bastard as per Michael's suggestion Evil or Very Mad

Tho it won't be happening till late this week, busy with uni...

Jaz
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Real Power Figures 1JZ-GTE?
Next Topic:4agze front cut
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun May 19 20:49:45 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0038580894470215 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.