Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » General Car Talk » good advanced driving course?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
chrisellis
Forums Junkie

May 2004
good advanced driving course? Sun, 12 September 2004 12:34 Go to next message
well im thinking about doing an advanced driving course, can anyone recommend one place/company do do it through. Im in Newcastle, so id want to do it in Sydney. Let me know if u guys have heard of good ones and the costs. Thanks, Chris
  Send a private message to this user    
dimmy77_03
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: good advanced driving course? Sun, 12 September 2004 12:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i think you get a decent one if you're insured with AAMI... Confused

They usually cost around $150-$250 Very Happy It'll pay off one day
joorsh
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: good advanced driving course? Sun, 12 September 2004 13:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I can't say how good it is because I haven't been on it yet, but I'm booked in for an Ian luff driving course in a few weeks time.

It's about 200 bucks a pop, and there are 3 stages (note: this is a group-buy price. single prices are probably a bit more). The first stage is apparently a bit of a no-brainer (don't lock your brakes, etc), but the 2nd and 3rd are supposed to be awesome (track racing, slide control, etc - sadly the first stage is a pre-req).

I'll let you know how it goes!

-J-
ae86trueno
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: good advanced driving course? Sun, 12 September 2004 22:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go To Peter Finlays

http://www.finlays.com.au

Car control course is only $275 and you can get a discount if your with NRMA, and they teach you it all, no need to go back and do multiple courses.
give my Dad a call he lives close to Newcastle (cessnock) and will be able to sort you out, he contracts to Peter Finlay.

Advanced Prodrive

Ben.
Tats
Regular

I Supported Toymods

December 2003
Re: good advanced driving course? Mon, 13 September 2004 04:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I did Ian Luff stage 1. You're right, there's nothing exciting, but it's a presrequisite for the other 2 stages. I think the 3rd stage is actually a CAMS licence course Evil or Very Mad
dimmy77_03
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: good advanced driving course? Mon, 13 September 2004 04:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
So is Ian Luff $200 for the whole 3 stages, or $200/stage? Razz
SillyCar88
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: good advanced driving course? Mon, 13 September 2004 11:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Anyone know of any in Vic (melb) I'm quite interested.
chrisellis
Forums Junkie

May 2004
Re: good advanced driving course? Mon, 13 September 2004 16:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thanks for the replies guys;

dimmy, $200 + per stage, i think its $265 weekdays $295 weekends, off the top of my head, looked at the site yesterday.
dimmy77_03
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: good advanced driving course? Tue, 14 September 2004 01:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sweet...it'd be awesome if that included your CAMS license Very Happy
Celica_John
Forums Junkie

May 2004
Re: good advanced driving course? Tue, 14 September 2004 03:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
don't forget you need to renew your cams license every year. dont think its like a normal driver's license.
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: good advanced driving course? Tue, 14 September 2004 03:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
do you have to take a test every year though?
Celica_John
Forums Junkie

May 2004
Re: good advanced driving course? Tue, 14 September 2004 03:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
this is outta my league i'm sorry. all i know is that for the rally driving i do i give them the money.. they give me the license. i don't do a 'test'.

There's different levels of CAMS license. It depends on what level of motorsports you want to get into.
joorsh
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: good advanced driving course? Tue, 14 September 2004 03:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The Ian luff one is quoted at what chrisellis said per stage, but you get significant discounts for group bookings like I'm going on.

As for the 3rd stage, I believe you do actually get a cams licence at the end, but I don't know which level it is.

I think (not sure) that the highest level cams licence you can get without a test of some kind is level 3.

I do know that cams level 3 is what you need to import cars for race/rally use Evil or Very Mad

-J-
ae86trueno
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: good advanced driving course? Tue, 14 September 2004 04:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you pass the course you still have to pay Cams $385 for your 3C licence every year, and if you dont complete a minimum of 1 race in 2 years you have to go back and pass the course again.

Ben.
st184 sillycar
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: good advanced driving course? Wed, 15 September 2004 04:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
There's heaps of different classes of Cams licence. Not sure on all the details, but I know the most basic is about $65 and has no driving test, for use on track-days and other non-competetive events. I think that one might get you into some hillclimbs too.

Like ae86trueno said, $385/yr to go circuit racing, plus the cost of the observed licence test to begin with. OUCH!

Then again, a Go-Karting licence has gone from $150/yr to $360/yr since the big insurance crisis. Stupid dumb insurance. Nothing fun or dangerous is cheap anymore!!
inertia
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: good advanced driving course? Sat, 18 September 2004 02:49 Go to previous message
In Vic, Jim Murcott's at sanddown... You should be able to get it for 99 soon when the promo's are on at Christmans, then do the stage 2 car control course for another 99 next jan/feb when they offer it to all those who have done stage1 Smile

Was very good course for braking and swerving obstacle. It is NOT a "let's get the back end out" type course.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:ae86 front bar modifying for intercooler
Next Topic:Help: Corona GTT tt142
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun May 19 05:37:52 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0053548812866211 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.