Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
driftae86
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Need help with stereo Mon, 13 September 2004 03:46 Go to next message
hey guys,

im trying to fit a cdplayer to my ae86 sprinter and i need help identifying some wires.

the plug going into the back of the standard stereo has 7 wires coming out of it. i have identified that the white wire and the black/white striped wire lead to the left hand speaker and the red wire and the black/red striped wire lead to the right hand side speaker.

so that leaves 3 wires:
- a white wire with a black stripe
- a green wire
- a blue wire with a black stripe

which of these three is the earth?
which is the accessories?
and which is the power?

need help ASAP!

cheers
  Send a private message to this user    
Azrael
Regular

September 2003
Re: Need help with stereo Mon, 13 September 2004 03:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Standard convention is white with black strip is earth, blue is accessories, so by default green is power, although that is not the usual colour for power. But this can all depend on the brand of stereo, so no guaratees this is correct.
driftae86
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Need help with stereo Mon, 13 September 2004 04:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok,

so can i blame you if i fry my electrics? Very Happy Laughing

just kidding Smile

can anyone else varify this?

any help would be appreciated

[Updated on: Mon, 13 September 2004 04:02]

driftae86
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Need help with stereo Mon, 13 September 2004 05:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bump
Callifo
Forums Junkie

August 2003

Re: Need help with stereo Mon, 13 September 2004 08:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ill grab colours for you in about 10 minutes.
Callifo
Forums Junkie

August 2003

Re: Need help with stereo Mon, 13 September 2004 08:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well mines a mess, very hard to see but I know that blue with black stripe is ignition. The rest I didnt use/have...

There is no constant battery wire if its the stock radio, youll need to put one in. I just earthed the ground to the metal part of the braket but the white with black wire would probably be the ground. You can test it with the interior light globe and the ignition wire.

[Updated on: Mon, 13 September 2004 08:43]

Aust162
Regular

April 2004
Re: Need help with stereo Mon, 13 September 2004 08:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
toyota's h/units mount directly onto a bracket, which is earthed already. my celica also had a earth wire thou, which was brown.If u need to find a contant 12v, then either go to your key barrel, brake pedal etc. u really need to get your hands on a test light ($3 from an auto shop)to be certain.better be save than sorry. Smile
dingaling
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: Need help with stereo Mon, 13 September 2004 17:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i have abit of paper i printed off the internet, it shows the wiring colors for toyota audio connectors and how to wire upto official ISO standard wiring connectors. Invaluable for hooking up my JVC headunit last week. Shows everything you need.

In the 86 Celica Brown was the ground, red was the accesories/ignition. And my supra was also the same.

if you get stuck i could take a pic of this paper for u, as i can't find it on the internet anywhere anymore.

by the way did your headunit bolt right up to your old brackets? I had major problems using my old brackets, had to modify them and use washers to attach them to my headunit.
Azrael
Regular

September 2003
Re: Need help with stereo Mon, 13 September 2004 23:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Can I just clarify, is this a Toyota head unit or an aftermarket one??
benjust
Newcomer

October 2003
Re: Need help with stereo Tue, 14 September 2004 00:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
generally:

solid red - power (ignition on)
solid yellow - power (ignition off)
solid black - earth

the 3 wires you talk of sound like speaker cables.. not power.. though there is no way i can tell you, not having the manual.

speaker cables are usually paired up with 1 dashed and one solid of similar colour..

hope this helps..

edit: soz i thought you were talking about the cables coming out of the back of the head unit. just test the cables currently wired with a voltmeter or something. you can at least find the two power cables. you can follow wires to the speaker, and probably one to the chasis. this should indicate what's what.

[Updated on: Tue, 14 September 2004 03:42]

driftae86
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Need help with stereo Tue, 14 September 2004 07:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dingaling - the brackets screwed perfectly into place with my clarion head unit.

Azrael - i am trying to fit a clarion head unit into my car where there was a standard toyota one previously.

i will take a picture of the wires so you guys can see what im talking about.
Callifo
Forums Junkie

August 2003

Re: Need help with stereo Tue, 14 September 2004 08:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I dont see whats so hard though, its pretty straight forward. Using a 12v light globe one wire should always work (battery), one only when ignition is on, and the last shouldnt do anything.

The last wire + light globe + either of the other wires will = on. Hence its ground.

Speaker wires are almost always really obvious because they are colour paired (one plain one striped). And old cars dont have antenna wires so no problems there.
Flogbag
Regular

December 2003
Re: Need help with stereo Tue, 14 September 2004 09:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
just in luck

i just put a cd player in today

Green wire - dimmer (power when lights on)
blue wire - accesories
white with black stripe - constant power
hooked earth to one of those screw holes in the metal bracket where the cd player goes in

dont know about speakers tho
driftae86
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Need help with stereo Tue, 14 September 2004 16:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
finally someone who knows exactly what im on about Very Happy

thanks Flogbag thats exactly what i needed to know Smile

thanks to everyone who posted, i really appreciate the help. i know it must've been hard to know what i was talking about without actually seeing it

cheers
driftae86
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Need help with stereo Wed, 15 September 2004 02:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok,

ive got power to the cd player. i can eject the cd from it BUT nothing is coming up on the face of the stereo.

does someone know why this is happening?

could the fuse be gone? i dunno

also, where on the stereo do i connect the green (dimmer) wire to? the one Flogbag mentioned

please help Confused

[Updated on: Wed, 15 September 2004 02:59]

davedave
Forums Junkie

October 2003

Re: Need help with stereo Wed, 15 September 2004 03:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sounds like you have the constant power wired up but not the accessories power wired up. Or you don't have the key in the ignition and turned to accessories Smiley =

The ideal configuration of stereo wires is

Yellow - Constant power
Red - Accessories power
Black - Ground
Blue - Power Antenna (or amplifier)
Purple - Car kit (mute)
Green - Dimmer

4 sets of another solid colour (positive) + same colour with trace (negative - thin black line or dotted line) - for speakers

This adds up to 14 wires which is double what you have Smiley =.

The power antenna, car kit and dimmer are nicities which aren't on every deck. Your Deck may also only be two channel.

Without trying to confuse you, this might offer an explanation to some missing wires. Some decks also share a common speaker negative. Normally between the same side channels (eg, left front and left rear) but I imagine they could share the same negative for all channels.

Also, I think you can wire the dimmer wire up to anything that gets power when your lights go on, eg, a little light behind your dash or the wire on your indicator stalk (if that's where you turn your lights on) that is for lights. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. A test light is great for finding stuff like this.

Hoppe this helps,
Dave

[Updated on: Wed, 15 September 2004 04:13]

driftae86
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Need help with stereo Wed, 15 September 2004 04:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i believe i have figured out the problem.

in this stereo the accesories wire is yellow and the power is red. there is a fuse on the yellow wire (accesories wire) and it may be blown. that would mean that i have constant power but no accessories power causing nothing to show up on the face.

maybe...
davedave
Forums Junkie

October 2003

Re: Need help with stereo Wed, 15 September 2004 04:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Are you sure? The constant is the one that the stereo get's its power from, it's normally a little thicker and has a fuse on it (and usually yellow).
The accessories (usually red), is just an indicator for the stereo to turn on.

Easy test to see if your stereo works is to plug both your stereo constant and accessories to a constant power and it should all light up (nb: You may have to turn the stereo on).
driftae86
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Need help with stereo Wed, 15 September 2004 04:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i tried what you suggested and nothing worked. maybe ive got my car wires mixed up?

thanks for your help anyway,

i need to go to uni now, ill be back in a couple of hours to try and get this all sorted out.

driftae86
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Need help with stereo Wed, 15 September 2004 09:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SORTED

the cd player is in now Very Happy
muaythaiman
Regular

August 2004
Re: Need help with stereo Wed, 15 September 2004 09:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
no offence, but it would have been alot easier to buy a 2 dollar test light! good on ya for getting it to work.
davedave
Forums Junkie

October 2003

Re: Need help with stereo Wed, 15 September 2004 11:36 Go to previous message
driftae86 wrote on Wed, 15 September 2004 19:15

SORTED

the cd player is in now Very Happy

Good to hear
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:spark between extractor and engine block