Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
lang
Forums Junkie

June 2003
fuel filler neck Mon, 13 September 2004 05:18 Go to next message
hi,

there is a gap between my fuel neck and the non return valve in the end of it that you stick the pump nozzle through. its been dodgy since its been complied.

my Q is, will patching the gap with silicon be ok? i just wasnt sure if the petrol that will be coming in contact with it (cos it does splash through this point during hard cornering)will corrode the silicon?

if silicon wont work can someone suggest a filler (its like a less than 1mm gap)that will be safe to come into contact with petrol every now and then (not constantly like in fuel tank)

Cheers
  Send a private message to this user    
Henn
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: fuel filler neck Mon, 13 September 2004 05:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I don't know about the actual problem. But two part epoxy (like araldite from the 2 tube set I think) should hold up against petrol.

Hen
Celica_John
Forums Junkie

May 2004
Re: fuel filler neck Mon, 13 September 2004 10:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what about a bit of weld? just make sure you take the filler neck out before you weld (DUH!)

or if you can't weld yourself take the neck to your local exhaust shop
lang
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: fuel filler neck Mon, 13 September 2004 11:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
good idea thanks john
allencr
Regular

May 2002
Re: fuel filler neck Mon, 13 September 2004 14:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what "non return" valve?
do you mean a little spring loaded flap that the smaller un-leaded petrol/gasoline nozzle will fit through??
if so, leave it alone, or remove it completly.
Fattony
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: fuel filler neck Tue, 14 September 2004 07:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think you mean the unleaded fuel filler restrictor and you will find that there are a few cars floating around from the factory with bigger than a 1mm gap between the restrictor and the wall of the filler neck. It all depends on where your tank breather is located, if it is located on the side of the restrictor towards the fuel tank leave it alone, but from what i can imagine your problem is i see no problem. Your sealing is ment to be done by the fuel cap.
lang
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: fuel filler neck Tue, 14 September 2004 07:32 Go to previous message
Fattony wrote on Tue, 14 September 2004 16:43

I think you mean the unleaded fuel filler restrictor and you will find that there are a few cars floating around from the factory with bigger than a 1mm gap between the restrictor and the wall of the filler neck. It all depends on where your tank breather is located, if it is located on the side of the restrictor towards the fuel tank leave it alone, but from what i can imagine your problem is i see no problem. Your sealing is ment to be done by the fuel cap.

the fuel cap seals to the restrictor, which is sitting over the the end of the filler neck, trust me its not the fuel cap ive tried 3 different fuel caps.

there is a gap between the restrictor and the fuel neck so fuel splashes up along the fuel neck, between the restrictor and the neck, and then comes outside all over my paint. because the restrictor comes from the inside and curves back around the outside changing fuel cap cant make any different cos its only in contact with the restrictor.

so basically i need some way of plugging the gap from the poor fit restrictor, but i think im just going to try and take it out alltogether, so the cap can seal directly against the filler neck

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:18rgeu valve and cam questions
Next Topic:Replace AE82 FWD head with AE86 RWD head?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu May 16 11:29:56 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.13279104232788 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.