Toymods » Tech & Conversions » 18rgeu head with 18r block compression

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
barned01
Regular

September 2003
18rgeu head with 18r block compression Tue, 14 September 2004 08:08 Go to next message
now i know some of you have tried this as i have heard it done for forced induction purposes.
but i am just wondering what the compression is like after this has been done.
is it rough to idle on startup?
does it loose a lot of power?
is the driveability noticeably affected?
this would be for a normally aspirated engine in this case.

and i noticed the head gaskets are different for 18rgeu to 18rc (some of the oil gallery holes or water holes are blanked out), so which head gasket did you use?

is it still just as strong? (assuming standard internals)

Also is it bad to change the crank and bearings and bearing caps from one block to another without having to replace all the bearings?

regards
Barnsey
  Send a private message to this user    
barned01
Regular

September 2003
Re: 18rgeu head with 18r block compression Tue, 14 September 2004 08:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oh and that is doing a compression test by the way (cos people 100 has said already it would be around 8.2:1 in terms of the ratio)
people100
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: 18rgeu head with 18r block compression Tue, 14 September 2004 09:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
u cant just put a 18rgeu head on a standard 18rc bottum end...the timing cases dont line up so they need to be changed. U need to change the oil pumps becoz teh rc wont pump enough. also the top chain needs to be changed. If you put the head on with standard rc pistons u will gain hp in the twin cam but loose it in the compression. Are u turboing it? If not and u are building a 18rgeu then i have some 18rgu pistons you can buy cheap. 18rc and 18rgeu have identical blocks basically except the oil dipstick point and some of the bolt holes on the oil pump vary.
earlyrolla
Regular

May 2003
Re: 18rgeu head with 18r block compression Tue, 14 September 2004 11:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
barned01 wrote on Tue, 14 September 2004 16:08

Also is it bad to change the crank and bearings and bearing caps from one block to another without having to replace all the bearings?

YES!!!!!

You should never swap main caps on blocks unless you are fitting after market caps and getting the block line honed.
barned01
Regular

September 2003
Re: 18rgeu head with 18r block compression Wed, 15 September 2004 03:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
people 100: yeah i know i would have to change the crap out on my car at the front (timing chain tensioners, gears etc.) but i just want to know once it is all put together what the compression gives.
i have an 18rgeu with fairly low compression (125-130PSI in all cylinders when cold and an absolute pain in the arse to maintain idle for the first few minutes or so) with an o-ringed block and metal head gasket (don't ask, i just don't want to use it ok).
I picked up an 18rc with new rings for 20 bucks, so i thought i would swap over all the g specific parts over to the block that isn't o-ringed.
it is a NA motor and will probably remian that way (bigger plans with a 1uz in mind).
so i just want to know if my compression would drop or raise.
ps the gasket is about 2 mil thick from visual inspection.

i was going to grab stuff that is G specific on my engine (head, timing chain, oil pump etc.) and put it on the rc block,and that is it really
people100
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: 18rgeu head with 18r block compression Wed, 15 September 2004 11:35 Go to previous message
so do u have a oringed block??? if so how much do u want for it. id suggest just put the 19rc rings on your 18rg pistons so u have good rings with the rg pistons.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Need help with stereo
Next Topic:AE86 4A-GE TVIS Manifold onto AE92 4A-GE 'Smallport' Head
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Tue May 14 12:15:44 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0043759346008301 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.