Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Why is this not working? (Setting base ign. advance)

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
SeptemberSquallIndustries
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Why is this not working? (Setting base ign. advance) Tue, 14 September 2004 10:00 Go to next message
I'nm trying to set base advance without a timing light, multimeter or test lamp.

I'm trying to get a spark to bridge between the plug lead and chassis (ground) when i turn the engine over.

When I turn the engine over with the starter motor it works.
But when I turn the motor over by hand to pinpoint the spark advance I can't get a spark.

Why?
  Send a private message to this user    
warrior
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: Why is this not working? (Setting base ign. advance) Tue, 14 September 2004 10:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
unless you have 12 volts running through your body you will never get a spark! Rolling Eyes its impossible to do what you are trying to do. my advice is to leave it to someone who knows what they are doing, it might become less expensive in the long run
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: Why is this not working? (Setting base ign. advance) Tue, 14 September 2004 10:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I know what I'm doing for fuck sake. I just have no tools. It's not impossible because it sparks to ground when cranking on the starter motor but not when switched on and cranked over by hand. What I want to know is why, not negativist bullshit? How about lending me a timing light then if you're so helpful??
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: Why is this not working? (Setting base ign. advance) Tue, 14 September 2004 10:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
And I've done it before Rolling Eyes but it's not working now.

[Updated on: Tue, 14 September 2004 10:27]

warrior
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: Why is this not working? (Setting base ign. advance) Tue, 14 September 2004 10:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
so much anger....dont get cranky (pardon the pun). my mate has my timing light, ill see if i can get it for ya. lmao at angry response , "just kidding" Laughing Laughing
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: Why is this not working? (Setting base ign. advance) Tue, 14 September 2004 10:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Man I'm bleeding from three knuckles from skinning my fingers on the radiator. I'm dirty and cold (it's raining here and about <10deg (C not BTDC). I'm sopping wet and can't feel my fingers. I've got no light, I'm using the parking lamp assembly (removed from the front) to see what I'm doing.

So why won't it spark?
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: Why is this not working? (Setting base ign. advance) Tue, 14 September 2004 10:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RE: Timing light: You're in Sydney, I am not. I'm just to skint to go buy one because I'm a university student.
warrior
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: Why is this not working? (Setting base ign. advance) Tue, 14 September 2004 10:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i am sure someone in Melbourne has a timing light and some band aids to give a guy in trouble a hand!!!!!!!!!!!
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: Why is this not working? (Setting base ign. advance) Tue, 14 September 2004 10:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
da_horse
Regular

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Why is this not working? (Setting base ign. advance) Tue, 14 September 2004 11:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
how desperate are u? and where abouts are u located? i can lend u my timing light...
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: Why is this not working? (Setting base ign. advance) Tue, 14 September 2004 13:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks, but it's okay. I'll just buy a lamp tomorrow and eat it if I run out of food before next pay check... Rolling Eyes
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: Why is this not working? (Setting base ign. advance) Tue, 14 September 2004 13:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
doesnt the car need to be in "IGN"?

if your cranking by hand when its off, the engine wont have volts to produce spark right??

towe_001
Forums Junkie

August 2004
Re: Why is this not working? (Setting base ign. advance) Tue, 14 September 2004 14:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SeptemberSquallIndustries wrote on Tue, 14 September 2004 23:14

Thanks, but it's okay. I'll just buy a lamp tomorrow and eat it if I run out of food before next pay check... Rolling Eyes

Boiling the timing light will soften it so that it will be nice and chewy. Throw in an old boot to give it some taste.
Laughing Laughing
But seriously like ae86drift said, to produce the spark the ignition needs to be on.
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: Why is this not working? (Setting base ign. advance) Tue, 14 September 2004 14:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It is on.
You mean it needs to be on with the car running *OR* the key needs to be in "Start"?
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Why is this not working? (Setting base ign. advance) Tue, 14 September 2004 15:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I wouldnt be turning a motor by hand with the key on
What happens if it starts?
I dont think grazed knuckles would be your problem anymore.

And besides the, I would think that by turning it by hand you would be turning it fast enough for the ignition module/points to spark.

Why don't you just start the car, and do the timing by ear?
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: Why is this not working? (Setting base ign. advance) Tue, 14 September 2004 15:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Trust me, it won't 'just start'.

If I could get it to idle/run I'd be able to adjust timing by ear. I'm only talking a very coarse base timing set to get it in the ballpark so it'll run.

Quote:

And besides the, I would think that by turning it by hand you would be turning it fast enough for the ignition module/points to spark.

Say again?
da_horse
Regular

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Why is this not working? (Setting base ign. advance) Tue, 14 September 2004 22:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mate, you sound like ur up shit creek, let me help u and give u a paddle Razz

nah seriously, where abouts are u located, if its close enough i'll drop by and give u a hand, and bring the timing light.

Cheers

Huy
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Why is this not working? (Setting base ign. advance) Wed, 15 September 2004 00:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SeptemberSquallIndustries wrote on Tue, 14 September 2004 23:28

Quote:

Say again?

You still haven't told us what motor it is, so I don't know if its points or hall effect.

But I would have presume that the motor would need to be doing at least 20-50 rpm for either the points to open fast enough to cause a spark, or for the metal disc to cause a large enough volatge for the ignition module to see it, and thus generate a spark.
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: Why is this not working? (Setting base ign. advance) Wed, 15 September 2004 02:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
[quote title=CrUZsida wrote on Wed, 15 September 2004 10:28]
What that thing cost?
More than You can afford Pal, Lexus, raawwwarr [quote]

bwwwahahahahahahaha. i love it.
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: Why is this not working? (Setting base ign. advance) Wed, 15 September 2004 03:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
2T-G with electronic ignition.
BradW
Regular

April 2004
Re: Why is this not working? (Setting base ign. advance) Wed, 15 September 2004 12:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey, if I have read wrong and you have already tried this then I appologise.
It sounds like you are trying to set the base timing so as to get the engine to start. Remove No 1 spark plug and turn engine until piston is at tdc for No 1 cyl. Do this by lining up the timing mark on the crank. Make sure it is on compression stroke (ie all valves closed on no 1). Now remove dizzy cap and make sure rotor is pointing to No 1 lead. If it doesn't, remove dizzy and refit in correct position.
Now you may need a hand for the next step. Refit spark plug, crank the engine and slowly rotate the dizzy. The engine should at least try to kick. If it doesn't try to fire it may be a tooth out on the dizzy.
Make sure you are on compression stroke when you check the rotor position and line up the timing mark on the crank.
If you just line up the timing mark without checking the valves are closed it is posible to put the dizzy in 180 deg out.

Good luck

Brad

[Updated on: Wed, 15 September 2004 12:02]

Fattony
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Why is this not working? (Setting base ign. advance) Wed, 15 September 2004 13:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Not sure about your motor, but i know some motors actually require that the wire that goes to the solonoid on the starter be hooked up to the ecu, your car may employ a simmilar device or work on a simmilar principle.
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: Why is this not working? (Setting base ign. advance) Wed, 15 September 2004 13:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BradW wrote on Wed, 15 September 2004 22:00

Hey, if I have read wrong and you have already tried this then I appologise.
It sounds like you are trying to set the base timing so as to get the engine to start. Remove No 1 spark plug and turn engine until piston is at tdc for No 1 cyl. Do this by lining up the timing mark on the crank. Make sure it is on compression stroke (ie all valves closed on no 1). Now remove dizzy cap and make sure rotor is pointing to No 1 lead. If it doesn't, remove dizzy and refit in correct position.
Now you may need a hand for the next step. Refit spark plug, crank the engine and slowly rotate the dizzy. The engine should at least try to kick. If it doesn't try to fire it may be a tooth out on the dizzy.
Make sure you are on compression stroke when you check the rotor position and line up the timing mark on the crank.
If you just line up the timing mark without checking the valves are closed it is posible to put the dizzy in 180 deg out.

Good luck

Brad

Thanks for your constructive input. The car starts with some persuasion but is backfiring almost constantly through all four carburettor throats (currently open).

I'm baffled as to why this would be, as it was running fine when garaged six months ago. Reset idle jets to 1.5 turns from closed. Can't get it to idle to vacuum balance it but that would have no bearing on this I'd think.

Wanted to check base timing to be sure it wasn't stupidly advanced and igniting while the inlet valve was open in the early part of the compression stroke. but it doesn't backfire always, just sometimes.

allencr
Regular

May 2002
Re: Why is this not working? (Setting base ign. advance) Wed, 15 September 2004 14:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
those electronic things don't like to work at slow speeds.
i've never played with their "air gap" to see how much difference it makes.
i'd just mark or remember its current location, and try it advanced & retarded.

i hate timing lights!
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: Why is this not working? (Setting base ign. advance) Wed, 15 September 2004 15:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

i hate timing lights!

Why?
Jayem
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: Why is this not working? (Setting base ign. advance) Wed, 15 September 2004 17:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

i've never played with their "air gap" to see how much difference it makes.

I have. It does.

I hate fighting with ignition systems. What could be more frustrating than noticing after two days of swearing that your dizzy is out by 180degrees... Rolling Eyes
Scorpion
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: Why is this not working? (Setting base ign. advance) Wed, 15 September 2004 23:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you are backfiring between all four cylinders, it sounds like your distributor is 180 dgrees out. Check that at top dead centre the rotor is pointing to No.1 culinder. If it is, it's probably TDC on the exhaust stroke. Pull the dizzy out, rotate the rotor button and shaft 180 dgrees and replace the dizzy. Alternatively, pull out the dizzy, rotate the engine until the timing mark comes around the pulley again and replace the dizzy without rotating the rotor button - does the same thing.
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: Why is this not working? (Setting base ign. advance) Thu, 16 September 2004 05:47 Go to previous message
It can't be 180 out as it wasn't last time I drove it (6 months ago) and the distributor or leads haven't been changed.

Couldn't check the base timing by grounding #1 to chassis so I borrowed a timing light today. Was running at about 35 degrees BTDC at idle. Fixed that, dialed in the carburettors, now runs well enough to get to the tune shop.

Thanks all for your input.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:URGENT HELP NEEDED - shim clearances for 18R-GU, TODAY!
Next Topic:Painting 4A-GE cam covers - your ideas?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Wed May 15 01:03:33 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0058929920196533 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.