Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » The Outhouse » COMPUTER FUCKED? "invalid boot diskette Insert book diskette in A:"

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Bradelz
Regular

June 2004
COMPUTER FUCKED? "invalid boot diskette Insert book diskette in A:" Tue, 14 September 2004 10:16 Go to next message
"invalid boot diskette Insert book diskette in A:" wot the fuck does that mean?
  Send a private message to this user    
SeptemberSquallIndustries
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: COMPUTER FUCKED? "invalid boot diskette Insert book diskette in A:" Tue, 14 September 2004 10:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It means your PC can't initialise a bootable partition at startup.
Bradelz
Regular

June 2004
Re: COMPUTER FUCKED? "invalid boot diskette Insert book diskette in A:" Tue, 14 September 2004 10:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah thanks dude, but how do i fix this problem wots the boot order sposed to be in a 733?
brad
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: COMPUTER FUCKED? "invalid boot diskette Insert book diskette in A:" Tue, 14 September 2004 10:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Is this a clean install or has this just happened on a working PC? More details required.
Bradelz
Regular

June 2004
Re: COMPUTER FUCKED? "invalid boot diskette Insert book diskette in A:" Tue, 14 September 2004 10:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok my bro took the windows harddrive out of the computer while everything was disconnected to see if a nother hdd would work? it was working before hand? so wot seems to be the problem wots the boot order sposed to be?
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: COMPUTER FUCKED? "invalid boot diskette Insert book diskette in A:" Tue, 14 September 2004 10:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
So you're using a different master HDD in the machine now and trying to boot? It may not be flagged as bootable. Obviously A: is on your boot sequence somewhere.

So use a system disk in A: to boot the system. Run a partitioning utility to flag a partition on the new HDD as bootable. Try booting again with C:, A: in the boot order. If it won't boot the HDD it's probably because it doesn't contain a boot manager/OS.

If you want to use this HDD and your BIOS supports CDROM as a boot device set CDROM on the boot sequence, insert an OS installation disc and start from there. If your BIOS does not support CDROM as a boot device you'll have to boot a system disk with CD drivers, load CD-ROM support from the floppy, then run an OS installation CD.

Or just go get your HDD back from your brother??
Bradelz
Regular

June 2004
Re: COMPUTER FUCKED? "invalid boot diskette Insert book diskette in A:" Tue, 14 September 2004 10:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah well, my bro took it out to see if another one would work the other one didnt work then he put the original one back in it started it up and thats wot it came up with. brad
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: COMPUTER FUCKED? "invalid boot diskette Insert book diskette in A:" Tue, 14 September 2004 10:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Okay, now I actually understand what you're trying to do, thanks for explaining in detail! Rolling Eyes

Check that the HDD which you're trying to boot from is on the end of the primary IDE channel ribbon (assuming parallel ATA). Ensure the jumper on the drive is set to 'CS' or 'MA' (Cable Select or Master). Set boot order to HDD_0 first. Boot the system and tell me what happens.

How are you posting if your computer won't boot? Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
Bradelz
Regular

June 2004
Re: COMPUTER FUCKED? "invalid boot diskette Insert book diskette in A:" Tue, 14 September 2004 11:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok man this computer talk is going straight over my head i understood until Set boot order to HDD_0 first. Boot the system and tell me what happens.
the rest i do not know
im on my computer
please explain in simplest terms for computer illerate people
all i know is that the ide cable connects with the mother board
thanks dude ur have been a great help

[Updated on: Tue, 14 September 2004 11:11]

EvilJack
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

September 2002

Re: COMPUTER FUCKED? "invalid boot diskette Insert book diskette in A:" Tue, 14 September 2004 12:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what operating system you use?

98,2000xp,3.11 etc.?

[Updated on: Tue, 14 September 2004 12:06]

draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: COMPUTER FUCKED? "invalid boot diskette Insert book diskette in A:" Tue, 14 September 2004 12:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
check the back of your HD. it will have some jumpers there (little plastic thingies, with 8 or so metal pins)
on the top of the hard drive there should be a diagram explaining what each jumper setting does. You want yours to be on "master". Also, ensure you're hooking it up using the same IDE cable you used before (the primary one).
sleeker162
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: COMPUTER FUCKED? "invalid boot diskette Insert book diskette in A:" Tue, 14 September 2004 12:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you need to upload a back orifis virii access your bios setting and select the option that resets all your tcp/ip port numbers back to default, once this is out of the way you'll have free access to your dos prompt at which you need to run a program called deltree Rolling Eyes
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: COMPUTER FUCKED? "invalid boot diskette Insert book diskette in A:" Tue, 14 September 2004 12:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Don't take for granted everything sleeker162 just said, k?

I'll PM you.
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: COMPUTER FUCKED? "invalid boot diskette Insert book diskette in A:" Tue, 14 September 2004 12:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
is there a floppy in the drive?

Rolling Eyes

pop that out and reboot....
sleeker162
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: COMPUTER FUCKED? "invalid boot diskette Insert book diskette in A:" Tue, 14 September 2004 12:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah mate dont listen to me. i was screwin around
ta23
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: COMPUTER FUCKED? "invalid boot diskette Insert book diskette in A:" Tue, 14 September 2004 13:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'd imagine if your HDD was taken out and put straight back in the jumper settings wouldnt have been changed, double check that the HDD has both power and IDE cable running from it, also double check that the IDE cable is still firmly pushed into the mainboard and push firmly into the HDD aswell. If it is older style IDE cable also make sure that different coloured line on the IDE cable is closest to the power lead.

Hope this helps
ta23
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: COMPUTER FUCKED? "invalid boot diskette Insert book diskette in A:" Tue, 14 September 2004 13:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
EvilJack wrote on Tue, 14 September 2004 22:06

what operating system you use?

98,2000xp,3.11 etc.?

I gather from what he is saying that the message he is getting is before his operating system boots up, therefore whatever OS he has shouldnt make a difference
jackel
Forums Junkie

August 2003

Re: COMPUTER FUCKED? "invalid boot diskette Insert book diskette in A:" Tue, 14 September 2004 18:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ae86drift wrote on Tue, 14 September 2004 20:56

is there a floppy in the drive?

Rolling Eyes

pop that out and reboot....

haha thats what i'm thinking.

Bradelz
Regular

June 2004
Re: COMPUTER FUCKED? "invalid boot diskette Insert book diskette in A:" Wed, 15 September 2004 07:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey guys, im running 2000pro, i checked the jumpers there all set to master... so i donno wots wrong, its pissing me off. i dont have a floppy.
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: COMPUTER FUCKED? "invalid boot diskette Insert book diskette in A:" Wed, 15 September 2004 07:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Insert the Win2K CD, set CD-ROM as bootable device, reboot.

Use Win2K setup to locate your boot partition and ensure it is bootable. Select 'Repair a damaged partition' and diagnose the boot partition on the HDD. Let us know what you find.
EvilJack
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

September 2002

Re: COMPUTER FUCKED? "invalid boot diskette Insert book diskette in A:" Wed, 15 September 2004 08:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
boot up the 2000cd and do a windows repair

yea what he said ^ Smile

[Updated on: Wed, 15 September 2004 08:45]

RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: COMPUTER FUCKED? "invalid boot diskette Insert book diskette in A:" Wed, 15 September 2004 08:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have an idea...

http://images.apple.com/imac/images/indexallinone20040831.jpg

sorry.. SORRY could NOT help myself.. this sill immature comment will do nothing for the thread and just get me flamed.. I know..

so why do I do it?

it's the Apple demons.. Very Happy
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: COMPUTER FUCKED? "invalid boot diskette Insert book diskette in A:" Wed, 15 September 2004 09:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My unhelpful suggestion is come borrow my Slackware ISO CDs.
dwango
Regular

July 2004
Re: COMPUTER FUCKED? "invalid boot diskette Insert book diskette in A:" Wed, 15 September 2004 23:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
pull the ribbon cable form the mother board and lay the plugs with the pin entry sockets flat on a bence and then apply pressure all the way along the back of the plug. this will fix any not connecting wires in ur ide cable. Alternately try replacing the ide ribbon cable, is a common flaw.
Does it make the usual spin-up noise when u start the computer.
Any crunching noises??
If all this fails try pulling the data (ribbon) from all other devices like cdrom, burners and floppy and try again.
Hard drives do die tho.
The last resort if you just want to make it work is to stick it in the freezer for 15-20 minutes in a sealed plastic bag, then plug it on and go, if the drive is dying this will give you the chance to back up your data to a replacement drive.
ta23
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: COMPUTER FUCKED? "invalid boot diskette Insert book diskette in A:" Thu, 16 September 2004 03:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If your HDD seems to be plugged in correctly, try going into BIOS (by hitting del key on startup) and check your boot priority, make sure you C: alocated somewhere in this boot priority. While your in BIOS goto HDD auto detection (somethin like that) and see if your HDD will detect in there, sometimes this helps. If thats all sweet try running your HDD off the CD ROM IDE cable, that particular IDE channel or cable could be shagged. If all this fails your HDD could be shagged, maybe set it as slave and test it in another machine to see if it detects in that machine.

Good Luck.
Trent-KE30
Regular

I Supported Toymods

December 2003
Re: COMPUTER FUCKED? "invalid boot diskette Insert book diskette in A:" Thu, 16 September 2004 08:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
THanks all you have all been very helpful, some pc tech is comming over tonite to have a look, hes my friend so its free! we will see wot he cant pick up and i ll get back to you all.
thanks guys
brad
Bradelz
Regular

June 2004
Re: COMPUTER FUCKED? "invalid boot diskette Insert book diskette in A:" Thu, 16 September 2004 08:29 Go to previous message
dammit posted on me bros account!
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:lotus quiz
Next Topic:Old Batman Episodes totally kick ass
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Wed May 15 15:46:00 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.071014881134033 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.