Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Beginner's Dummys Guide to Repairing Celicas. Please point and laugh.

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
parsi
Occasional Poster

January 2004
Beginner's Dummys Guide to Repairing Celicas. Please point and laugh. Thu, 16 September 2004 02:47 Go to next message
Hey all,
after over a year looking around this site and loving the old school celicas I finally bought one yesterday (tommo's off toymods). However there is one problem, I don't really know shit about fixing/looking/maintaining celicas.but i would love to learn. That's why I love these forums...everyone is so helpful. So just a few questions...and I am sure there will be alot more in the future.
I was wondering if anyone could advise me where to start to get a good grounding in basic celica knowledge etc?
I am assuming I should buy one of those Hayne's repair manuals for a start right?
Anyone recommend a good general set of tools i should buy?

now here is the specific question which is the killer/
The celica used to have an aftermarket steering wheel which was replaced with the original wheel when i bought it. The original steering wheel's horn doesnt workwhich doesnot bother me all that much.
When i picked it up yesterday I was driving home and went around a corner and the horn went off. I thought i had inadvertently pressed one of the six horn buttons but no. there appears to be a certain area in which when u turn the sterring wheel the horn just goes off. As u can imagine it was quite embarrassing having ur horn blaring for 10-15 secs with no idea what is going on, plus the fact that their was a cop car in front of me made it all the little bit worse.

So any ideas what my problem here is. The horn going off seems preety random.just happens when u turn the wheel sometimes.
is it a problem with how the steering wheel was put back on or a problem with the horn itself.?
Any advice/help would be much appreciated, and please moderate the advice with the knowledge the i have the car repairing capcity of an ape...but i am very willing to learn.

cheers.
  Send a private message to this user    
STR8 2.8
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: Beginner's Dummys Guide to Repairing Celicas. Please point and laugh. Thu, 16 September 2004 03:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
haha that horn business has happened to me before...i know how embarassing it is.

im not to sure what a celica steering wheel looks like, however it works on the same basic principle as others.

the horn grounds itself through the shaft that the steering wheel bolts onto, and will have another positive contact somewhere (eg. a brass rod slides over a brass ring on the steering column).

the reason it goes off know and then is the horn is shorting on the column somewhere. so you need to pop off the horn button cover (if there is one) and have a look at the connections. more than likely a wire has come loose somewhere and is touching the steering column.

hope this helps a little

p.s. there is no need to be so hard on yourself, we all have to start somewhere, and its commendable that you are willing to learn...good on you! Very Happy

[Updated on: Thu, 16 September 2004 03:07]

chrishulbert
Regular

March 2003
Re: Beginner's Dummys Guide to Repairing Celicas. Please point and laugh. Thu, 16 September 2004 03:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just take the celica emblem in the middle off, unbolt it (with a crossbar tyre wrench), take the steering wheel off, and have a look at the wiring.

And buy a new steering wheel - those originals are hideous.
flynn21atwork
Regular

November 2003
Re: Beginner's Dummys Guide to Repairing Celicas. Please point and laugh. Thu, 16 September 2004 04:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey dude,
Welcome to the world of the celica. I bought a Hayes manual for mine. It is pretty useless, as they have missed out alot of important info, and some stuff is wrong. Looks like they did it on a 78 celica and just assumed that they are all the same up until then. So i would say get another brand manual, having said that I have no idea what the Chilton's one is like. Celica's are straight forward though, simple Macpherson strut suspension, solid rear axle for pre 78 (i think). Simple naturally aspirated engine unless you go an engine conversion. The engine is pretty straight forward, I have found that generally if you can't fix it on the side of the road, then the engine is not worth fixing.
Do lots of searchingonthis site and the net, as there is a fair bit of info about em, and the different interesting things people have done.
Remember you have to love your Celica, as they can be money pits at times, mine tends to be a bottomless hole...
Azrael
Regular

September 2003
Re: Beginner's Dummys Guide to Repairing Celicas. Please point and laugh. Thu, 16 September 2004 04:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Welcome welcome!

Don't be too scared of your car. I only started tinkering with cars at the beginning of this year. Prior to that I had no idea what anything did let alone fixing it. The best advice I can give you is don't be afraid to get in there at do it yourself. In 8mths I had gone from ignorant 'ape' to side of the road mechanic (and before anyone adds their 0.02c I am by no way any sort of professional). You learn from your mistakes so don't be afraid to make them (just be prepared to pay for the replacement parts Laughing ). Also if you can afford a digital camera buy one. You'll get a much more accurate/detailed answer here in the tech section if you can show a picture of the problem.

Good luck

ps. upgrade your engine to a 2TG, it'll get you hooked on Powahh!

[Updated on: Thu, 16 September 2004 04:18]

TA-022
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

March 2004
Re: Beginner's Dummys Guide to Repairing Celicas. Please point and laugh. Thu, 16 September 2004 08:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dont bother with a hanes manual.

i have one and they don't cover th 2t and 2tg.

sure they have the 18r 22re etc but for a early ta22 like mine there no good.

well i guess the basics are there its just you have to improvise alot.

6months ago i couldnt tell ya what a dizzy was now i can rebuild the carbies blindfolded.

two words: TIME and PATIENCE.

Basic tools? Spanner set, screw drivers, plyers (norm and needle nose), wire cutters, socket / ratchet set.

From there just buy things as you need em.

Hope this all helps.

Nathan
dwango
Regular

July 2004
Re: Beginner's Dummys Guide to Repairing Celicas. Please point and laugh. Thu, 16 September 2004 10:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey, I bought a '90 GT4 4 months ago. Between surfing these forums and modification web sites i've removed my intercooler and replaced my radiator's broken bottom well, i've installed a turbo boost relief valve and a Blow off valve. Always had a fundamental understanding of internal combustion engines and thats about all. I'm a networking geek. Don't drink beer (much).
If you can't find an answer to your q's just ask someone here. There's not many wankers left will laugh at you.
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: Beginner's Dummys Guide to Repairing Celicas. Please point and laugh. Thu, 16 September 2004 12:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Theres a little push on terminal in pretty much all steering wheels which connects to the switch for the horn.
If it wasn't re-attached when the steering wheel was replaced and is now floating around inside the wheel it could short out and do what you have described.
Pretty easy to fix if it is... just unscrew the cover and have a geez inside. You will know pretty damned quick if its not connected.
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Beginner's Dummys Guide to Repairing Celicas. Please point and laugh. Thu, 16 September 2004 12:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
parsi... good to have another epping person around here! Smile
you're welcome to pop by and check out my will-never-be-finished project. What model celica is it? I found the haynes manual really useful for my ra65 celica, and also for the ma61 supra (while I still had stock supra parts in it anyway)
parsi
Occasional Poster

January 2004
Re: Beginner's Dummys Guide to Repairing Celicas. Please point and laugh. Fri, 17 September 2004 01:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thanks all for your help and advice.
i have the 1975 ta22 that tommo was selling. it is preety original only problem is auto which i hope to eventually change.

with regards to the horn going off:
i took off the centre part of the steering wheel and found that the green wires for the horn button were floating around in the steering column and were not connected, however here is the catch, there is no horn ring to reconnect them to. can i just set it up so that the wire does not have any free play in the steering column ( ie. don't let it run through the hole) or is there another solution.

cheers. thanks all for being so helpful.

[Updated on: Fri, 17 September 2004 02:52]

RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: Beginner's Dummys Guide to Repairing Celicas. Please point and laugh. Fri, 17 September 2004 01:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
so many epping peeps!

eek!

We have to have an epping cruise lol.. where shall we go? the Mobil or the RSL? Very Happy

oh.. and don't forget The "E" Very Happy

like has been said.. don't be scared of working on it.. as I always say, it's just like lego for older people.
TA-022
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

March 2004
Re: Beginner's Dummys Guide to Repairing Celicas. Please point and laugh. Mon, 27 September 2004 07:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cover the ends of the wires and close it up. only downside is you will have no horn which if i remember right is a pink slip requirement for safety reasons.

could always run the wire out the column to a $2 push button from any elec store as a make shift. Either mount the buton on the wheel or beside it on the dash .... which ever you prefer or find easier.

Cheers

Nathan
scrote
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Beginner's Dummys Guide to Repairing Celicas. Please point and laugh. Mon, 27 September 2004 15:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
crap. never realised so many of you in the epping area. me too!!!.

so whens the epping cruze.

oh and welcome to the world of celicas dude. let me know if i can help anytime.
fade-e
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Beginner's Dummys Guide to Repairing Celicas. Please point and laugh. Tue, 28 September 2004 00:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
WELCOME to or world, you have now reached the pint of no return Confused

i dont know why people keep baging the haynes manual! i got it a t home specific for the '22 and it is awsome!!! if i know it was such a rare manual when i first bought it then i wouldnt have abused it so much cause now it is almost unreadable. though fortuneately i have another '22 specific manual that is better than the haynes. the other manual covers everything you ever needed to know aswell as the corona. it also distiguishes between the OZ and US models (wiring, body, etc) its an awsome manual.

im not sure if its a chiltons manual but it is a photocopy of the original manual that was released in 198x, i believe it is a copy of a first issue too... might check it tonight

as for your horn issue i get the same problem and iv got a MOMO wheel on. it happens once every few days for me and always when there are people around. what i do is when it happens i put my arm out the car and wave Laughing Laughing Laughing and people think i beeped at someone... hell i sometimes get waved back Shocked Laughing

like everyone said they are simple motors, i wouldnt go as far as saying if you cant fix it on the side of the road then dont bother, but that gives you an idea of its simplicity

as for celica sites there are heaps out there, if i remember then when i get home tonight ill post some really good sites (keep in mind most of my sites are more directed to the 3TGTEU motor but i got some really good '22 sites too)

also jsut a tip, when you have a question, try a search first and in the search be specific with words otherwise you will get a heap of somewhat useless info (well info you dont need)
parsi
Occasional Poster

January 2004
Re: Beginner's Dummys Guide to Repairing Celicas. Please point and laugh. Tue, 28 September 2004 04:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cheers mate that would be great. appreciate all the help i can get.
yeah when the horn was going off,all you could no was smile wave and hope no one thinks you are giving them shit... that could have been awkward.

now another question. something that you would never know unless someone told you...nice way to hide my ignorance.
tires and wheels
i am thinking of buying some wheels for my celica cause i have to admit they do look preety sweet.
can someone please translate this for me and confirm that they would fit ta22 no probs?

they are ROH reflex wheels 15x7 (this i get)
they are 4 stud and PCD is 114.5
they also come without tires and the recommended tyres are 195/50/15 tyres.

as stupid as this sounds
what exactely do all these numbers mean?

cheers. thanks for your help.
fade-e
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Beginner's Dummys Guide to Repairing Celicas. Please point and laugh. Tue, 28 September 2004 04:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
4 stud - obvious

PCD 114.5 - this is the distance from centre to centre of the studs. the celicas are 114.3 so you sure it is 114.5?

the main thing to make sure is that the clearence to the struts is good. you can get some wheels that are 205 wide and will fit and others that wont.

also dont worry too mmuch bout the rears as almost anything fits there within reason, its mainly the front struts you need to be sure of and full turns. just make sure they dont hit the struts
thetoyman75
Forums Junkie

Club President
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Beginner's Dummys Guide to Repairing Celicas. Please point and laugh. Wed, 29 September 2004 00:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Parsi,

Damn Epping is Going Off LOL

Dude the Horn is easy as to fix. Call me on Friday Night and I'll talk you threw it if you drop around. I have too much to do on my old girl before the show on Sunday to do it for you but I can point and tell you what to do. Sounds like the base plate is missing off the steering wheel but I'll have one soemwhere there.

My number is 0416 181 284, I won't be there till at least 7pm and may be in and out a bit. Just give me a call around then before you come over and I'll let you know where it is. My dog is a Rotti x Shepard and she is rather protective of my car. Shes only jumped the back fence twice to get at people tho Rolling Eyes (Damn that gas man could run fast lol) And so far Joe (Pumpkin) is the only Toymodder she has bitten, His shoulder healed up ok tho !

Oh and the Haines manual SUX !!! Get the genuine Toyota Item if you can or the Tractor Publishing version. the later being the best ! I'll show em to you Friday so you know what to look for !

[Updated on: Wed, 29 September 2004 00:04]

parsi
Occasional Poster

January 2004
Re: Beginner's Dummys Guide to Repairing Celicas. Please point and laugh. Wed, 29 September 2004 14:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cheers all for the help.

the wire was sticking into the steering column so i assume when i saw steering is was somehow moving around and making a connection.
just took it out of the steering column and wrapped it around wires that the horn buttons are connected to so it doesnt have any free play.
...only downer is now i have no horn...yeah which i assume will be a problem later on with pink slip issues etc.

yeah toyman thanks for the offer. heard about that sunday meet would have a squiz if i wasnt stuck at fuckin work...which i am on friday night as well...working at a pub can really suck.
anyway ill see how much it bothers me not having a horn. probably get a new steering wheel in the next few days so have alook at the probelm there.
thanks for all your help.

where are all the epping people. i hardly see any old school celicas around. there is an old school surpa with some panel work i think sitting opposite the bowls near boronia park. is that a toymodders...?
scrote
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Beginner's Dummys Guide to Repairing Celicas. Please point and laugh. Wed, 29 September 2004 16:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you work in a local pub dude?
schmitt
Regular

February 2004
Re: Beginner's Dummys Guide to Repairing Celicas. Please point and laugh. Thu, 30 September 2004 05:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hay parsi i have a set of 15 inch ROH reflex wheels on my car and they fit fine. here is a pic of them, my car is stock height just so you know. i have 195/50 tyres on mine. are you buying the set off here that are for sale.

http://img49.exs.cx/img49/458/AfterWash__0085.jpg

[Updated on: Thu, 30 September 2004 05:27]

parsi
Occasional Poster

January 2004
Re: Beginner's Dummys Guide to Repairing Celicas. Please point and laugh. Thu, 30 September 2004 09:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ha.
yeah i wanted to buy the set off here but unfortunately you snooze you lose...they were already sold.
yeah that pic of yours is the reason i wanted to buy those wheels. they look choice on your ta22. they inspired me, gotta love the old school look.

so if the PCD is 114.5 and celicas have PCD 114.3 does that effectively mean they just won't fit on the car.
i hear talk of spacers and stuff. what is that all that about.
scrote
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Beginner's Dummys Guide to Repairing Celicas. Please point and laugh. Thu, 30 September 2004 14:33 Go to previous message
spacers r ghey with ta aids.

also illegal & dodgey
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Drum break inhancements ta22
Next Topic:Ford AU Twin Thermo's
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 22:43:08 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0063111782073975 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.