Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
T APLUS 22
Forums Junkie

October 2003
thermostat inquiry Thu, 16 September 2004 08:08 Go to next message
Well I'm boiling water and not on the stove.
A long standing problem, Its been suggested that the thermostat has fucked itself and a reccomendation was to remove it all together and just run straight coolant.
Any opinions?
Originally it started (I think) when In mt hotham during autumn. And this was with an above average level of coolant in the system. Basically I need to top up water every 2-3 days depending on driving habits.
I don't even know exactly where the thermostat is, I believe the top water outlet? I understand that without it it might take longer to warm up, especially on cool mornings. Is this a major concern?

Thanks guys. Jacob
  Send a private message to this user    
Maurice c
Regular

February 2004
Re: thermostat inquiry Fri, 17 September 2004 00:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Having a termo fitted gets the engine up to operating temp quickly. Running the engine hard before it has warmed up will lead to engine damage. This wont be a concern on a hot days but most certainly will be on a cold one.

I'd change the thermo straight away and check the water pump. Refill with toyota red and if its still overheating, its off for a leakdown/ hydrocarbon test to check the head.
Dust
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: thermostat inquiry Fri, 17 September 2004 01:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah I ran my old 253 with no thermostat after it shit itself, took ages to warm up on a cold morning, they shouldnt be that expensive. To see if yours is working or not, take it out and put it into hot water, if it doesnt open then its broken.

Cheers

Dust.
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: thermostat inquiry Fri, 17 September 2004 03:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
for god sake, whoever keeps saying to run a car with no thermostat is a fucking idiot, with no thermo you dont ever reach full operating temp, if you are gonna pull the housing apart to get it out you may as well spring for the extra $10 Rolling Eyes to get another one and put it in!

If you are really commited then you can even get one for summer and one for winter Smile
T APLUS 22
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: thermostat inquiry Fri, 17 September 2004 09:15 Go to previous message
thanks guys. Appreciate the advice. now to pull it out and have a look see.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Auto chaser overdrive problems
Next Topic:20V Modifications - Cams
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu May 9 12:53:29 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.004706859588623 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.