Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Godzilladat
Occasional Poster

September 2004
FJ20ET into KE10 Sun, 19 September 2004 05:16 Go to next message

Hi Guys,
Had a mate who used to own a fj20ET KE20 auto 2 speed glide with saab diff and mini tubs (FJB:01A).

Every since seeing that car I have taking a big liking to the early model rolla's.

Im looking at buying a KE10 and doing something similiar (if its still legal in nsw, heard you need full solid chassis rails)..

Anyway, enough sh!t talk, here are my questions;

How hard is it to convert the cable clutch to hydraulic?

Which master cylinder and pedal mods (can any other pedal kit from toyota be used?)

Does the motor sit in bay without firewall mods?

Any other difficult parts with the conversion?

I know a fj20 isnt a common conversion, so any 4age comparisons would still help alot.

Cheers

Martin
  Send a private message to this user    
AE86slut
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: FJ20ET into KE10 Sun, 19 September 2004 05:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Get a tape measure..... Measure the engine. Measure the engine bay. Voila!

As far as your other questions are concerned, they will be the least fo your worries IMO.
Godzilladat
Occasional Poster

September 2004
Re: FJ20ET into KE10 Sun, 19 September 2004 05:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Slight problem, I dont own a KE10...

Got a spare fj20 in my garage tho.
gearb0x
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: FJ20ET into KE10 Sun, 19 September 2004 06:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
borrowed from old corolla's website Smile

http://t-rex.materials.unsw.edu.au/~sford/pics/scmtr.jpg
Godzilladat
Occasional Poster

September 2004
Re: FJ20ET into KE10 Sun, 19 September 2004 06:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Thanks mate, thats a start, looks like you'd have to say bye bye to the radiator support, and the motor sits on a slant backwards..

I'll looking at buying a immaculate stocker so I dont think I could bring myself to do that to it. Sad
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: FJ20ET into KE10 Sun, 19 September 2004 10:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Godzilladat wrote on Sun, 19 September 2004 15:16

Hi Guys,
Had a mate who used to own a fj20ET KE20 auto 2 speed glide with saab diff and mini tubs (FJB:01A).
Every since seeing that car I have taking a big liking to the early model rolla's.
Im looking at buying a KE10 and doing something similiar (if its still legal in nsw, heard you need full solid chassis rails)..
Anyway, enough sh!t talk, here are my questions;
How hard is it to convert the cable clutch to hydraulic?
Which master cylinder and pedal mods (can any other pedal kit from toyota be used?)
Does the motor sit in bay without firewall mods?
Any other difficult parts with the conversion?
I know a fj20 isnt a common conversion, so any 4age comparisons would still help alot.

heya.

well, sean had the FJR01A no it's not lgal.. max of 1.7L turbo, or 2.1 NA.

full solid chassis rails means it is a different category but..

cable to bydraulic, i'd start with maybe TA22 pedal box and master.

motor would be tight fit. and heavy. CA18 might be good, or 4AGT. lighter easier.

everything is difficult with KE10, you need to do your homewrok and make shit fit.

FJ20 is not as refined as 4AG or CA18/SR20, but only 4AG turbo is legal in NSW// the car is too light..

Cya, Stewart
GEM13B
Occasional Poster

March 2004
Re: FJ20ET into KE10 Mon, 20 September 2004 03:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
u have to chop your firewall (supports and all), chop your trans tunnel back to where the beam that runs thru the middle of the car and open her up, new trans tunnel, no radiator support pannel. then everytime you wanna do something to the engine u have to take it out to get to it.
brake master needs to be mounted elsewhere as will the clutch master.

oh yeah, brakes need to be done, those stocky drumbs dont even slow down a 12a. Wink

i wouldnt chop up a perfect car though, look for a shitta. also u would probably be better off fitting a smaller engine than the fj, cause you should see the amount of chopping we needed to do to get a rota in there, and thats only a little engine.
fatmr2
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: FJ20ET into KE10 Mon, 20 September 2004 10:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go 4agte. With the right mods you can get it over 200 rwkw. In a car that light it would be the best and being a physically smaller engine it wont be front heavy.

Just a thought.....
batteryman
Occasional Poster

September 2004
Re: FJ20ET into KE10 Thu, 23 September 2004 03:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The KE10 in the pic is FJR01A. FJB01A was an orange KE20. Both had FJ20DET's. Both cars were owned by mates of mine years ago.

The KE10 had a powerglide and SerIII Bluebird diff and tubs. It was legal with an FJ but not a turbo. It was a pain in the arse to work on. You basically had to take the engine out to do anything it was that tight. As you can see from the photo the rocker covers sit under the front window sill. The KE20 was fully legal with a C4 and Mazda B2000 diff. It was a bit easier to work on but not a whole lot.

Does anyone know where the KE10 is now?

[Updated on: Thu, 23 September 2004 03:44]

oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: FJ20ET into KE10 Thu, 23 September 2004 03:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
batteryman wrote on Thu, 23 September 2004 13:12

yes, adelaide i believe.
mr supra
Regular

July 2002

Re: FJ20ET into KE10 Thu, 23 September 2004 10:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey Godzilladat,

I'd stear clear of an fj personally if i was doing a conversion. Just looking at that piccie, that is damned tight. I've got a dr30 skyline, and the motors way forward in that just so the massive great big manifold clears the brake booster!

pro_ke
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: FJ20ET into KE10 Thu, 23 September 2004 11:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oldcorollas wrote on Thu, 23 September 2004 13:24

batteryman wrote on Thu, 23 September 2004 13:12

yes, adelaide i believe.

yes its in adelaide

the engine bay now looks a lot different to the pic that was posted!
Godzilladat
Occasional Poster

September 2004
Re: FJ20ET into KE10 Fri, 24 September 2004 11:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Yeah a guy I know bought the KE20 FJB:01A for something like $7000 grand off his boss.

He had a minor accident into a sigma, put a whole in the intercooler, the electrics in that car were a nightmare.

Ended up running out of rego, the engineers report said fj20 and 5speed so he couldnt get it passed.

It sat out the front of his house for about six months, then (the smart guy that he was), swapped the auto gearbox with the stall converter for a standard fj20 5 speed, the swap was supposed to include them converting the car to manual (including master cylinder and pedals etc).

They fucked him over, then he moved to queensland, got his mum to sell the car, a couple of lebs came to look at it and stole the computer and some gauges out of the car before leaving.

Ended up selling it for $2500 to some dude, which I later heard he restored it to track spec then rolled it on his first outing.

I would have bought the car back in the day if I had the cash.

Do you know what bellhousing was used to get the auto box on the fj20?

Cause I still wouldnt mind doing a KE20 (as thats the only engineerable one) as a long term project, with the exact same specs, heard that car ran a 12.0 flat.

Cheers

Martin
batteryman
Occasional Poster

September 2004
Re: FJ20ET into KE10 Sun, 26 September 2004 21:59 Go to previous message
As far as I know it had a Ford C4 box in it.

Whereas the KE10 had a Powerglide.

If you speak to a decent auto trans builder they will know what to do. Its just a matter of deciding how many gear you want, 2 or 3. The other alternative is a trimatic.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:17" rims and tires on a 1990 camry
Next Topic:2T-G Head Gasket for big bore application
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 15:08:55 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0053310394287109 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.