Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » General Car Talk » Polished old skool rims OR newer style rims on old celica ...

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Les
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Polished old skool rims OR newer style rims on old celica ... Mon, 20 September 2004 03:39 Go to next message
What do you guys reckon, for the sake of performance, looks and of course cost would you rather polish up an old set of MA60/61 rims for an RA65 Celica and keep that old school look

OR

use a set of 16*7 rims TSW VX1's like in my avatar ...

COST
need 4 new tyres for MA61 rims, need to give it a polish

need 2 new tyres for TSW's, get spacers made up, longer studs

PERFORMANCE
more firewall flex vs less (225/60/14 vs 215/45/16 or thereabouts)

LOOKS
you tell me - I kinda like the look of polished rims

http://www.geocities.com/dust_inc/wheelpolish.htm

Im thinking old skool ?!! Razz
  Send a private message to this user    
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Polished old skool rims OR newer style rims on old celica ... Mon, 20 September 2004 04:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Old cars need old-school rims; in most cases they look silly with newer style rims. This is especially the case for old Celicas.
Les
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Polished old skool rims OR newer style rims on old celica ... Mon, 20 September 2004 04:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok done deal

now for the tyre issue ... i am thinking 195/60/14 or 205/60/14 up front and 215/60/14 or 225/60/14 at the rear ... (i run a 1g - will 215 be too little tyre?)

there are many diff brands and I am a little cash strapped ... I am thinking

front x 2
195/60/14 Nankang $80 (new)
205/60/14 Bridgestone (95% thread) $60 a tyre
205/60/14 Nankang $85 (new)

rear x 2 (all new)
215/60/14 Yokohama $100 a tyre
225/60/14 Nankang $120 a tyre
225/60/14 Federal $135 a tyre
225/60/14 Sumitoma $140 a tyre
225/60/14 Toyo $155 a tyre
225/60/14 Yokohama $170 a tyre

will 235/60/14's fit the rear of the RA65 preperly i.e. not bag out too much or sit too far out ??

[Updated on: Mon, 20 September 2004 05:03]

Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Polished old skool rims OR newer style rims on old celica ... Mon, 20 September 2004 05:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You should have room for 205's on the front; that's what I have on my RA23 (with 14x7 rims) and I have no clearance issues. I imagine an RA65 has just as much space if not more.

As for the rear, I'm sure a 225 will be fine but 235 is getting a bit big for a 7" rim. I run 225's on my Supra and with decent quality tyres I don't have much of a problem with traction, and that's with a 305rwhp 2JZ. Having said that I have a good LSD, obviously it will be a different story if you have a single spinner.
Les
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Polished old skool rims OR newer style rims on old celica ... Mon, 20 September 2004 06:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
how about clearance issues with the rear if I use 225 ?

i dont have those flares, so 225's may look wierd i.e. too far out ?
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Polished old skool rims OR newer style rims on old celica ... Mon, 20 September 2004 06:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think both of those sorts of wheels look hideous. If you must have an older sort of wheel at least have 15's. The MA61 rims, no matter how shiny are still going to look shabby against your new paint.

Find some nice wheels of both types that actually suit the car and ask again Smile
Les
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Polished old skool rims OR newer style rims on old celica ... Mon, 20 September 2004 06:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
u think the 14s look hacked do ya ??

i hv seen some nice polished up ones on nice paint job cars on celicasupra.com

justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Polished old skool rims OR newer style rims on old celica ... Mon, 20 September 2004 06:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
They're too f'ing small, they look crap Sad
Les
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Polished old skool rims OR newer style rims on old celica ... Mon, 20 September 2004 06:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hmmm .... what u recommend ? the soarer ones ?

otherwise its just generic 17' from ozzy tyres mate !
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Polished old skool rims OR newer style rims on old celica ... Mon, 20 September 2004 06:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The Soarer ones are better, but they limit the width of tyre you can run. Unfortunately I don't know what to recommend, it has to be what you like.

Personally I just think both those options are wrong.
Les
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Polished old skool rims OR newer style rims on old celica ... Mon, 20 September 2004 07:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok ok ... let me reconsider, but my main issue is cost and tyre width, so the supra rims fit the bill (as i already have a set of them)
river
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Polished old skool rims OR newer style rims on old celica ... Mon, 20 September 2004 12:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

The following pic is an RA28 with the 15x6 Soarer wheels.

http://www.classic-celica.com/albums/TMAX/PHAT_1.jpg

http://www.classic-celica.com/albums/TMAX/PHAT_2.jpg

I liked it that much that I've got my self a set of these wheels. They're currently being polished & painted. The Supra 14x7 wheels don't fit on my car without scrubbing - but the Soarers fit fine and, IMHO, look great.

seeyuzz
river
Evil_Foetus
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: Polished old skool rims OR newer style rims on old celica ... Mon, 20 September 2004 14:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
go the ma61 rims- they look good on the xA6x celicas.

coz they are good Evil or Very Mad
Les
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Polished old skool rims OR newer style rims on old celica ... Mon, 20 September 2004 15:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Evil_Foetus wrote on Tue, 21 September 2004 00:14

go the ma61 rims- they look good on the xA6x celicas.

coz they are good Evil or Very Mad

hahahaha

niceone bro hahahah Very Happy
riceburna73
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: Polished old skool rims OR newer style rims on old celica ... Mon, 20 September 2004 15:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i think the newer front wheel drive offset rims look the best aslong as you can get them sitting flush on the guards,the celicas are blessed with a classic shape that still holds its own even today,,,why not bring it into the future even further with some nice new style rims...check out the celicas listed in the best online celica thread to see some really good examples otherwise go simmons,,all others make the car look half done,or like your waiting to save up for some propper rims....no offence meant its just my 2c..........
scrote
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Polished old skool rims OR newer style rims on old celica ... Mon, 20 September 2004 15:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah i would agree u at least need 15s. ozzy tyres are crap and dont ever fit a wheel using a spacer thats just ghey with aids. and also illegal.
dragway gamblers are a nice old school desighn and light weight can be made with correct off set. or the superlites look good too.
if u cant afford decent tyres and rims then just save up and weight,too important to be cheap about in my op.
Les
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Polished old skool rims OR newer style rims on old celica ... Tue, 21 September 2004 02:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Norbie wrote on Mon, 20 September 2004 15:35

You should have room for 205's on the front; that's what I have on my RA23 (with 14x7 rims) and I have no clearance issues. I imagine an RA65 has just as much space if not more.

As for the rear, I'm sure a 225 will be fine but 235 is getting a bit big for a 7" rim. I run 225's on my Supra and with decent quality tyres I don't have much of a problem with traction, and that's with a 305rwhp 2JZ. Having said that I have a good LSD, obviously it will be a different story if you have a single spinner.

norbie, do u know if the 225's will sit too far out without flares ?

will 215's be suffice ? for say 120-130 rwkw, no lsd ?
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Polished old skool rims OR newer style rims on old celica ... Tue, 21 September 2004 08:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I highly doubt they will sit out too far on the back. It's mainly the fronts the non-flared cars have the problems.

My suggestion? Stick the MA61 rims on there as is, wait until you can afford some decent rims. That, and get yourself an LSD.
Les
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Polished old skool rims OR newer style rims on old celica ... Tue, 21 September 2004 10:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
215 or 225 at the rears guys ?
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Polished old skool rims OR newer style rims on old celica ... Tue, 21 September 2004 10:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
225, with no LSD, you're going to need all the help you can get
Les
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Polished old skool rims OR newer style rims on old celica ... Tue, 21 September 2004 13:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SO 225/60 (will have a 625mm diameter) and 205/60 (605mm diameter) ...

will the overall diameter difference make the car look funny ?

its only 2 cms or so ....

justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Polished old skool rims OR newer style rims on old celica ... Tue, 21 September 2004 13:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You won't notice the difference visually, it'll be SFA. I'd be checking how much your speedo will be out though. I'd do it...but I can't be arsed Laughing
Les
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Polished old skool rims OR newer style rims on old celica ... Tue, 21 September 2004 13:59 Go to previous message
out by about a few percent i did the check already

dont really care bout that
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Aw11's in aussie
Next Topic:Really faded paint.
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun May 12 13:14:01 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0066750049591064 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.