Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » [AE86] getting that elusive JDM front fender lipped ?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
ae86slaver
Forums Junkie

February 2003
[AE86] getting that elusive JDM front fender lipped ? Tue, 21 September 2004 06:16 Go to next message
After many attempts on finding out the technique in rolling the guard in this manner, i still cannot work out exactly what is involved. I had an article in a mag before that showed how to do it (in Japanese Rolling Eyes ) but cannot find it anymore. I've been told of a few places, but no success!

offer me advice before the jigsaw and grinder come out!

http://img70.exs.cx/img70/8882/04septhachimeet20.jpg
  Send a private message to this user    
AE86slut
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: [AE86] getting that elusive JDM front fender lipped ? Tue, 21 September 2004 06:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Good timing Des, I was about to bring up exactly the same question!
ae86slaver
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: [AE86] getting that elusive JDM front fender lipped ? Tue, 21 September 2004 06:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
haha who else wants to jump in?!

i've been told they just bash it from underneath until it is sorta straight, then the metal thins up and eventually becomes round Crying or Very Sad Rolling Eyes

i've done the best i could do but can't rid the crease line...

might just cut it away to avoid further scrubbage
Bobski
Regular

I Supported Toymods

May 2004
Re: [AE86] getting that elusive JDM front fender lipped ? Tue, 21 September 2004 06:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mmmmmmmmmm that looks hot , so hammering the thing was the way in the end?
I assume ur going to spray over it after making it flat so why not use spray putty to get rid of the crease line?

Adam
ae86slaver
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: [AE86] getting that elusive JDM front fender lipped ? Tue, 21 September 2004 06:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
that is pretty true, but the crease line is too evident, and once you get to the stage of nearing it all level, it'd look like a scrunched up piece of paper!!!

but there is nothing bog can't fix....right?! Rolling Eyes Shocked Laughing Very Happy
drift86levin
Forums Junkie

August 2004
Re: [AE86] getting that elusive JDM front fender lipped ? Tue, 21 September 2004 07:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
that gaurd looks so phat Shocked ! i am actually getting mine done at Camerons body works up here in brissy..the local drifters will agree he does a nice job!
driftae86
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: [AE86] getting that elusive JDM front fender lipped ? Tue, 21 September 2004 07:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
drift86levin wrote on Tue, 21 September 2004 17:15

that gaurd looks so phat Shocked ! i am actually getting mine done at Camerons body works up here in brissy..the local drifters will agree he does a nice job!

find out how he does it so that we can copy it and do it ourselves Laughing Very Happy
mumblezzz
Regular

June 2003
Re: [AE86] getting that elusive JDM front fender lipped ? Tue, 21 September 2004 07:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I used a Sledgehammer and bog.
drift86levin
Forums Junkie

August 2004
Re: [AE86] getting that elusive JDM front fender lipped ? Tue, 21 September 2004 07:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
not to sound sarcastic or anything..but can't you just use a gaurd roller? or will it not give the same effect?
ae95
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2003
Re: [AE86] getting that elusive JDM front fender lipped ? Tue, 21 September 2004 07:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
isnt the lip in the first pic a bolt on flare?
AE86slut
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: [AE86] getting that elusive JDM front fender lipped ? Tue, 21 September 2004 07:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ae95 wrote on Tue, 21 September 2004 17:43

isnt the lip in the first pic a bolt on flare?

That's what I was thinking.......

Anyways, if sledgehammers and bog are the general consensus, I think I'll get it done by the panel beater when it's getting sprayed!
4ageeza
Forums Junkie

May 2004
Re: [AE86] getting that elusive JDM front fender lipped ? Tue, 21 September 2004 09:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think in one of the latest Option vids there is a guy who does a home job of rolling his guards on a pink s13. He uses some dodgy tools and reprays the guard with a spray can as he goes! it looks heaps funny, but he does a damn good job!
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: [AE86] getting that elusive JDM front fender lipped ? Tue, 21 September 2004 09:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
that guard is welded on des
thats a hawaiian/us car right?
i do belive they are cutting the panel and welding it on as a entire piece.

otherwise its a fucked job

www.jubiride.com

also > link to the rest of those pics?

actually forget it Wink > http://www.eight08.net/2002/04septhachimeet.html

[Updated on: Tue, 21 September 2004 10:09]

ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: [AE86] getting that elusive JDM front fender lipped ? Tue, 21 September 2004 10:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
holy
fucking
shit

one for jeremy

http://www.eight08.net/2001/04septhachimeet12.jpg
Skein
Regular

November 2002

Re: [AE86] getting that elusive JDM front fender lipped ? Tue, 21 September 2004 11:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ae86drift wrote on Tue, 21 September 2004 19:43

holy
fucking
shit

one for jeremy

i don't know if it's the angle of the photo or the rainbow numberplate but that looks retarded as hell.
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: [AE86] getting that elusive JDM front fender lipped ? Tue, 21 September 2004 12:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skein wrote on Tue, 21 September 2004 21:06

ae86drift wrote on Tue, 21 September 2004 19:43

holy
fucking
shit

one for jeremy

i don't know if it's the angle of the photo or the rainbow numberplate but that looks retarded as hell.

how so dude?
ae95
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2003
Re: [AE86] getting that elusive JDM front fender lipped ? Tue, 21 September 2004 12:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hot fucking hot
Skein
Regular

November 2002

Re: [AE86] getting that elusive JDM front fender lipped ? Tue, 21 September 2004 12:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ae86drift wrote on Tue, 21 September 2004 21:46

how so dude?

The guard looks like it arches extremely high...
The red top of the bumper lines up with the black line along the side of the car, and where the bumper joins with the guard doesn't look right.

But as I said, probably just the angle the pic was taken at.
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: [AE86] getting that elusive JDM front fender lipped ? Tue, 21 September 2004 12:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ah yeah!

there u go!
nice spotting!
Satoshi
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: [AE86] getting that elusive JDM front fender lipped ? Tue, 21 September 2004 16:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wtf is simon's car doing there?
http://www.eight08.net/2001/04septhachimeet14.jpg

bahahaha Razz
Satoshi
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: [AE86] getting that elusive JDM front fender lipped ? Tue, 21 September 2004 16:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://www.eight08.net/2001/04septhachimeet23.jpg

the negative cambers of these 2 cars make me horny...dayumm
ae95
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2003
Re: [AE86] getting that elusive JDM front fender lipped ? Tue, 21 September 2004 17:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
camber is easy
im envious of the wide wheels and nice offset
Satoshi
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: [AE86] getting that elusive JDM front fender lipped ? Tue, 21 September 2004 18:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yup
ae86slaver
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: [AE86] getting that elusive JDM front fender lipped ? Tue, 21 September 2004 23:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ae86drift wrote on Tue, 21 September 2004 19:24

that guard is welded on des
thats a hawaiian/us car right?
i do belive they are cutting the panel and welding it on as a entire piece.

otherwise its a fucked job

www.jubiride.com

also > link to the rest of those pics?

actually forget it Wink > http://www.eight08.net/2002/04septhachimeet.html

Dude, i can almost put my money on it that the guard is NOT welded on. I'm certain they use the extra metal on the side/underneath and roll it out. I'm not sure if a guard roller can get it out, because all they do is crease it like paper.
I met one of the Levin kids from wollongong ages ago and he had it done to his guard - and i remember him saying it was just a technique of rounding it out.

haha 'stop whoring club4ag' Razz

AE86slut
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: [AE86] getting that elusive JDM front fender lipped ? Tue, 21 September 2004 23:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I don't care if it doesn't line up..... It's beautiful.

And who said my idea of 5 spokes with black centres/polished rims wouldn't suit!!!
joyride
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

January 2003
Re: [AE86] getting that elusive JDM front fender lipped ? Wed, 22 September 2004 00:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Audioslaver wrote on Wed, 22 September 2004 09:27

I met one of the Levin kids from wollongong ages ago and he had it done to his guard - and i remember him saying it was just a technique of rounding it out.

which guy did u meet?
ae86slaver
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: [AE86] getting that elusive JDM front fender lipped ? Wed, 22 September 2004 00:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
back then Craig owned the beautiful maroon/purple 20V with white Rays wheels -since crashed?

joyride
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

January 2003
Re: [AE86] getting that elusive JDM front fender lipped ? Wed, 22 September 2004 00:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah hes got another red levin, i think its in the shop next to my car aswell..

but anyway, those guards look nice, i'm tossing up whether i should roll the guards or get the flare kit... decisions decisions... Crying or Very Sad
ae86slaver
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: [AE86] getting that elusive JDM front fender lipped ? Wed, 22 September 2004 00:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oh i c, haven't heard from him in a while.

yeah, depends what width your running and offset at the front.....though i might just get out the grinder on the weekend Twisted Evil
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: [AE86] getting that elusive JDM front fender lipped ? Wed, 22 September 2004 01:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i havent read any other posts really.. but there are places that have proper guard rolling machines.. by that i mean they have a paint heat gun which heats up the paint and then they roll it, stops paint cracking etc... I got mine done for 200 dollars for the rears rolled.. and my fronts fully modified(flared out, then modified to follow the guard completely inside and then the plastic melted and reshaped to go over the top of that).. giving me a few inches clearance
ring around.
Im in brisbane so my shop is no help to you
AE86slut
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: [AE86] getting that elusive JDM front fender lipped ? Wed, 22 September 2004 01:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jag7799 wrote on Wed, 22 September 2004 11:07

i havent read any other posts really.. but there are places that have proper guard rolling machines.. by that i mean they have a paint heat gun which heats up the paint and then they roll it, stops paint cracking etc... I got mine done for 200 dollars for the rears rolled.. and my fronts fully modified(flared out, then modified to follow the guard completely inside and then the plastic melted and reshaped to go over the top of that).. giving me a few inches clearance
ring around.

How much was it to get the fronts flared?

By 'lipping' I am assuming people are just talking about the flat edge around the wheelarch and getting it folded up. By 'rolling' I am assuming people are talking about getting the wheelarch pushed out further, and flaring is a different story, referring to the guards being completely modified. Is this correct?
ae86slaver
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: [AE86] getting that elusive JDM front fender lipped ? Wed, 22 September 2004 01:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah Tempe tyres down in Sydney do that application. But in this case, I think the real trick is getting the squared off edge of the guard to become round as shown in the top pic.

as opposed to something like this:

http://img20.exs.cx/img20/3002/greytrueno.jpg
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: [AE86] getting that elusive JDM front fender lipped ? Wed, 22 September 2004 01:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AE86slut wrote on Wed, 22 September 2004 11:12

Jag7799 wrote on Wed, 22 September 2004 11:07

ring around.

How much was it to get the fronts flared?

By 'lipping' I am assuming people are just talking about the flat edge around the wheelarch and getting it folded up. By 'rolling' I am assuming people are talking about getting the wheelarch pushed out further, and flaring is a different story, referring to the guards being completely modified. Is this correct?

it was 200 all up.. wait
2nd time round(on my 2nd soarer) it was 150 bucks all up
on the fronts there was about 5 mm clearance until it hit the plastic shroud and the guards metal

ill do up a diagram now
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: [AE86] getting that elusive JDM front fender lipped ? Wed, 22 September 2004 01:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
here
its a shit diagram but this is how it worked
my guard was flared aswell to give it a little extra room on side of the rim
this can probably explain how muych it was changed
http://members.optushome.com.au/jag7799/shitdiag.jpg
when i 1st got suspension and rims it used to scrape around almost every corner..
not its got a few inches of room.. i can go airborn and land with no troubles

[Updated on: Wed, 22 September 2004 01:35]

bubbles
Forums Junkie

Banned user

March 2004
Re: [AE86] getting that elusive JDM front fender lipped ? Wed, 22 September 2004 01:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
In my panel beating days, without cracking the paint i wosto wrape a heavy dolly with a rag and used a rubber mallet.
On the outside, put the dolly in the same spot where your going to hit from the inside, follow the mallet with the dolly but dont do the same spot till its flat, follow the shape slowly. This was for the gti, havent tryind it on the hachi
ke382TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: [AE86] getting that elusive JDM front fender lipped ? Wed, 22 September 2004 01:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have my rear guards lipped (similar method to above), i did this myself and it turned out neat i.e. looks like a factory finish, a friend of mine with a VT commodore which was done at a wheel and tyre place with a guard roller did not turn out too good, I think they rushed it.

My front guards are lipped and "pumped out" 2 inches. Just be aware that lipping and pumping out the front guards can reduce the structural integrity of your guards, which is no prblem at all until some careless fu(ker leans on it and "pops" the panel in Mad . Not cheap to get fixed Mad

[Updated on: Wed, 22 September 2004 01:44]

Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: [AE86] getting that elusive JDM front fender lipped ? Wed, 22 September 2004 01:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ke382TG wrote on Wed, 22 September 2004 11:43

I have my rear guards lipped (similar method to above), i did this myself and it turned out neat i.e. looks like a factory finish, a friend of mine with a VT commodore which was done at a wheel and tyre place with a guard roller did not turn out too good, I think they rushed it.

My front guards are lipped and "pumped out" 2 inches. Just be aware that lipping and pumping out the front guards can reduce the structural integrity of your guards, which is no prblem at all until some careless fu(ker leans on it and "pops" the panel in Mad . Not cheap to get fixed Mad

yeah.. mine are perfect..
havent had any problems with leaning on them yet either
would be hell pissed if they did though.. after new spray and all.
also i put it in and got it back same day
joyride
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

January 2003
Re: [AE86] getting that elusive JDM front fender lipped ? Wed, 22 September 2004 01:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
next question on everyones mind is which shop in sydney does a good job at rolling/pumping the guards?? Laughing

ive heard the name 'east coast suspension' been mentioned before but for this application...?
AE86slut
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: [AE86] getting that elusive JDM front fender lipped ? Wed, 22 September 2004 01:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
which shop in sydney does a good job at rolling/pumping the guards??
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: [AE86] getting that elusive JDM front fender lipped ? Wed, 22 September 2004 01:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
which pumping in sydney good does a job at sydney/guards rolling?
.....shit
joyride
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

January 2003
Re: [AE86] getting that elusive JDM front fender lipped ? Wed, 22 September 2004 01:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jag7799 wrote on Wed, 22 September 2004 11:54

which pumping in sydney good does a job at sydney/guards rolling?
.....shit

haha wtf? Confused
AE86slut
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: [AE86] getting that elusive JDM front fender lipped ? Wed, 22 September 2004 01:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Which pump/rolling does jobs good whilst shopping in Sydney?

C'mon! Somebody must know?
joyride
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

January 2003
Re: [AE86] getting that elusive JDM front fender lipped ? Wed, 22 September 2004 02:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
insert "i can catch lightning in a bottle, but i have no idea what the f*ck you just said" pic here.
ae86slaver
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: [AE86] getting that elusive JDM front fender lipped ? Wed, 22 September 2004 02:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hahaha you bored mofos Very Happy

I've only heard Tempe Tyres doing this, but theres gotta be some old folk out there with REAL skill
Simon-AE86
Forums Junkie

Banned user

July 2002

Re: [AE86] getting that elusive JDM front fender lipped ? Wed, 22 September 2004 02:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what you see isnt gard rolling guys, its flaring.

any crash repairer worth their salt should be able to do this.
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: [AE86] getting that elusive JDM front fender lipped ? Wed, 22 September 2004 02:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Simon-AE86 wrote on Wed, 22 September 2004 12:46

Simon-AE86 wrote on Wed, 22 September 2004 12:46

the insides of mine were rolled though...
my rears were rolled up right inside the guards aswell
ae86slaver
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: [AE86] getting that elusive JDM front fender lipped ? Wed, 22 September 2004 03:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
maybe flaring = flaring + rolling ??

what exactly does the term 'flaring' involve?
J-AE86
Forums Junkie

January 2003
Re: [AE86] getting that elusive JDM front fender lipped ? Wed, 22 September 2004 04:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AE86slut wrote on Wed, 22 September 2004 11:52

which shop in sydney does a good job at rolling/pumping the guards??

big O tyres do it for about 45 a corner next to jetspeed
ae95
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2003
Re: [AE86] getting that elusive JDM front fender lipped ? Wed, 22 September 2004 05:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
flaring can be rolling the guards out or bolting some flares on.
ae86slaver
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: [AE86] getting that elusive JDM front fender lipped ? Wed, 22 September 2004 05:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hmmm getting ambiguous with all these terms

bottom line is if that picture up the top is infact the original wheel guard, and how is it made round. Of course the easy option is to obtain the bolt on flares and graft it in, but rounding these existing ones up would obviously be the better option?
8t6panda
Regular

May 2004
Re: [AE86] getting that elusive JDM front fender lipped ? Wed, 22 September 2004 05:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Quote:

The red top of the bumper lines up with the black line along the side of the car, and where the bumper joins with the guard doesn't look right.

this is how all original panda cars are my friend take a look and other cars and u will notice they are all exactly like the one in the pic.must be cos of the red and black it stands out more.
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: [AE86] getting that elusive JDM front fender lipped ? Wed, 22 September 2004 06:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Audioslaver wrote on Wed, 22 September 2004 09:27

Dude, i can almost put my money on it that the guard is NOT welded on. I'm certain they use the extra metal on the side/underneath and roll it out. I'm not sure if a guard roller can get it out, because all they do is crease it like paper.

haha 'stop whoring club4ag' Razz

ah okay, looks too perfect to be 'folded out'. Shocked
why dont you ask the owner?
im sure the owner is on club4ag

Youngy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: [AE86] getting that elusive JDM front fender lipped ? Wed, 22 September 2004 07:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Or (and this may be a novel idea) take the first picture you posted with you to your favorite panel shop and leave your car with them telling them you want your gaurds to look like these ones - and hand them the picture.

PS tell them to leave out the sparkle paint though!
ae86slaver
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: [AE86] getting that elusive JDM front fender lipped ? Wed, 22 September 2004 07:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hmmm well i'm thinking more or less a DIY job, if i can get the basic jist of what needs to be done, i'll just have to get to work with bog and paint.

might ask one of the yanks Razz
ae95
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2003
Re: [AE86] getting that elusive JDM front fender lipped ? Wed, 22 September 2004 08:13 Go to previous message
rolling guards has its limits. if you've got some nice offset wide wheels its better off cutting part of the guard out and bolting a flare on.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:MA61 - rusty floor of boot & spare tyre well
Next Topic:How to tell if you've broke a gearbox.
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 16:38:34 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0078630447387695 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.