Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Johnny_K
Regular

June 2004
AE86 money and drifting Tue, 21 September 2004 14:17 Go to next message
Hey i was just wondering anyone out there who takes their AE86 to drift events and what kind of money they spending on them to get them sideways nicely. I just sold my rustbucket 86 and in search for another one, but the majority of my friends say that in my condition (earn stuff all cause i'm a young bastard) and AE86 would just eat away my wallet instead i could just buy a turbo S13 and drift the hell out of that and in the end it would be cheaper and more effective. I believe this to a certain extent due to the 86 being rare as meaning parts can be costly. But also i've seen people like beau yates (20V 86) kicking all the silvias asses in the drift comps. I was wondering what kinda money are people like him to get his 86 into drift machine because i have fears in my imaginary drift career in the future i would be spending $$$ on my lovely 86 to get it drifting like a povo silvia THANKS JoHnNy_K
  Send a private message to this user    
Simon-AE86
Forums Junkie

Banned user

July 2002

Re: AE86 money and drifting Tue, 21 September 2004 14:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
first of all here are the FACTS

Just because you drive an ae86 doesnt mean you can drift an ae86 and kick silvia arses.

AE86 parts are not as rare as people make them out to be. Sure panels and headlights are getting pricy but general mechanicals are not.

now.. yuo can build a competitive car for SFA, look at what Josh young did in QLD (yellow 86) bought a shitter stocker for 1K and spent 3K on it. Total bill was 4K and it has 4age, lsd and coilovers. he made a lot of stuff like the cage himself. shopped around and got some real bargins. Not a single item was bought off toymods Wink

or you can build something a bit extream.. like garth (even tho its not a dedicated car but it does symbolise the extream end) with the best of the best gear. expect to pay 10K + for extream 4age engine, lsd, coilovers, propper susp parts etc.

ae86's are lighter and more chuckable then a s13 but are they a better drift car, debateable. Wink
i like to think they are, but to someones whos begining, you'd do better in a s13 then a NA ae86

the ae86 is a drivers car, if you persist with the 4age, you WILL learn real drift techniques such as using the weight of the ar and speed to initate a slide. So many power sliders out there who crawl up to a corner and drop the clutch, this is not real drifting

that is all

[Updated on: Tue, 21 September 2004 14:53]

Johnny_K
Regular

June 2004
Re: AE86 money and drifting Tue, 21 September 2004 15:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I could possibly say i'd do better in a S13 as i have driven my mates R33 skyline dump the clutch before the corner and end up with some cheap drifts. Still when i had the 86 (with 4AC)i practice drifting in the rain by using the shift lock technique (drift bible) by gearing down and releasing the clutch just before the corner so much fun compared to the skyline. I'm only forced to go silvia or turbo just for the fact it's cheaper and easier to drift???. But yeah i like the challenge and hopefuly in the future i'll be drifting in an 86 (with 4AGE and LSD this time!!!)
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: AE86 money and drifting Tue, 21 September 2004 15:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Simon-AE86 wrote on Wed, 22 September 2004 00:50

first of all here are the FACTS

Just because you drive an ae86 doesnt mean you can drift an ae86 and kick silvia arses.

but to someones whos begining, you'd do better in a s13 then a NA ae86

the ae86 is a drivers car, if you persist with the 4age, you WILL learn real drift techniques such as using the weight of the ar and speed to initate a slide. So many power sliders out there who crawl up to a corner and drop the clutch, this is not real drifting

agreed!
driftae86
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: AE86 money and drifting Tue, 21 September 2004 15:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey mate,

i see you have sold your 4ac sprinter. but now you seem to be interested in buying another 4ac sprinter. my piece of advice is to get one that has already had an engine convertion to a 4age or whatever. if you want to save money in the long run the best thing to do is to get one with mods already done to it(ie. engine convertion, suspension and if you have some more money - one with an LSD). it will cost more initially but you will be saving time, effort and also money by getting one with at least some basic mods straight out.

andrew

[Updated on: Tue, 21 September 2004 15:46]

Simon-AE86
Forums Junkie

Banned user

July 2002

Re: AE86 money and drifting Wed, 22 September 2004 02:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yes very valid point, i bought my car with 4age already in it, some coilovers and already stripped and with the basic stuff i needed. and since then ive changed a lot.

beats startuing with a total stocker and 4ac Wink
mumblezzz
Regular

June 2003
Re: AE86 money and drifting Wed, 22 September 2004 03:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just a basic rundown of the costs of converting my stocker.

Initial Purchase: $2200
16v 4AGE inc loom ECU etc, G/Box, exhaust: $1300
Seat + rail: $350
Suspension (shocks, front coilovers, springs, panhard etc): $1800
Brakes: $250
Diff: $50

And thats not including all the other little bits and peices that are involved with these conversions. Your best bet would be to buy something with a 4age and suspension already and build from there.
AE86slut
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: AE86 money and drifting Wed, 22 September 2004 03:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mumblezzz wrote on Wed, 22 September 2004 13:10

Your best bet would be to buy something with a 4age and suspension already and build from there.

Definately..... You want me to list how much I have spent? And that's still nothing that would perform incredibly well for drift.
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: AE86 money and drifting Wed, 22 September 2004 06:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AE86slut wrote on Wed, 22 September 2004 13:19

mumblezzz wrote on Wed, 22 September 2004 13:10

Your best bet would be to buy something with a 4age and suspension already and build from there.

Definately..... You want me to list how much I have spent? And that's still nothing that would perform incredibly well for drift.

bs! i seen it go sidwahz!
cutsGotBoost
Regular

September 2004
Re: AE86 money and drifting Wed, 22 September 2004 08:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i dont no much about sprinters, but one of my mates had a corolla with a 4agze, with motec, smaller (12 psi i think) pully on the blower, did quite nice cookers also.
my question is why dont people get a 4agze block and blower and all, then put a 4age 20v head on it?

[Updated on: Wed, 22 September 2004 09:04]

ae95
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2003
Re: AE86 money and drifting Wed, 22 September 2004 09:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
im pretty sure my ae86 build has cost less than buying an already modded one.

stock ae86, minimal rust, straight body - 2k
crashed jdm donor car - 2.5k
susp - 2k

thats 6.5k for 4age ae86 with coilies, front strut brace, disc to disc with 2way lsd, efi tank, trd susp in rear

hardly that expensive.

6.5k would buy you a n/a silvia which are slow as hell
ae95
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2003
Re: AE86 money and drifting Wed, 22 September 2004 09:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cutsGotBoost wrote on Wed, 22 September 2004 16:57

i dont no much about sprinters, but one of my mates had a corolla with a 4agze, with motec, smaller (12 psi i think) pully on the blower, did quite nice cookers also.
my question is why dont people get a 4agze block and blower and all, then put a 4age 20v head on it?

4agze block with 20v and blower? sounds like too much stuffing around to me. why not gze block and bigport head and turbo. 20v head costs heaps more than a bigport head
driftae86
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: AE86 money and drifting Wed, 22 September 2004 10:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ae95 wrote on Wed, 22 September 2004 19:22

stock ae86, minimal rust, straight body - 2k
crashed jdm donor car - 2.5k
susp - 2k

thats 6.5k for 4age ae86 with coilies, front strut brace, disc to disc with 2way lsd, efi tank, trd susp in rear

yeah, but how many crashed JDM cars are out there?

if you manage to find one of those - you'd be set.
fractoid
Regular

September 2004
Re: AE86 money and drifting Wed, 22 September 2004 10:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Johnny_K wrote on Tue, 21 September 2004 23:12

I could possibly say i'd do better in a S13 as i have driven my mates R33 skyline dump the clutch before the corner and end up with some cheap drifts. Still when i had the 86 (with 4AC)i practice drifting in the rain by using the shift lock technique (drift bible) by gearing down and releasing the clutch just before the corner so much fun compared to the skyline. I'm only forced to go silvia or turbo just for the fact it's cheaper and easier to drift???. But yeah i like the challenge and hopefuly in the future i'll be drifting in an 86 (with 4AGE and LSD this time!!!)

Shift lock bad! Kansei drift good! Wink

(translation: shift lock will rodger up your drivetrain. I took about 3 years' life off the Supra's diff before realizing shift lock is just an expensive way to do a handbrake-initiated drift. Do a braking drift or whatever it's called, basically use more brakes, and heel-toe instead of just mash down to 2nd and dump it. Much faster entry speed though, which makes it farken scary but sooo sweet if you pull it off!)
Drift Technician
Regular

March 2004
Re: AE86 money and drifting Wed, 22 September 2004 10:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Theres no such thing as owning a drift car and having money in your pocket..............
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: AE86 money and drifting Wed, 22 September 2004 11:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Drift Technician wrote on Wed, 22 September 2004 20:58

Theres no such thing as owning a drift car and having money in your pocket..............

true.dat
Simon-AE86
Forums Junkie

Banned user

July 2002

Re: AE86 money and drifting Wed, 22 September 2004 11:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
uh huh

thats why im eating 2 min noodles for dinner and cheese sandwiches for lunch

ae95
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2003
Re: AE86 money and drifting Wed, 22 September 2004 12:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
haha
the price you pay for drift Crying or Very Sad Crying or Very Sad Crying or Very Sad
Arch
Forums Junkie

January 2004

Re: AE86 money and drifting Wed, 22 September 2004 14:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

bwahahahahaha Laughing

at least get mi goreng
Satoshi
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: AE86 money and drifting Wed, 22 September 2004 15:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Arch wrote on Thu, 23 September 2004 00:04

Quote:

bwahahahahaha Laughing

at least get mi goreng

these days mi goreng cause fair bit of $$ too...hehe
Ko Ko
Regular

May 2003
Re: AE86 money and drifting Wed, 22 September 2004 23:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tight arses
AE86slut
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: AE86 money and drifting Thu, 23 September 2004 01:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Satoshi wrote on Thu, 23 September 2004 01:57

Arch wrote on Thu, 23 September 2004 00:04

Quote:

bwahahahahaha Laughing

at least get mi goreng

these days mi goreng cause fair bit of $$ too...hehe

Bah..... I buy boxes of them.... Costs SFA.
ae86slaver
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: AE86 money and drifting Thu, 23 September 2004 03:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mmmm.....mi goreng with boiled egg and a hint of pepper Razz
AE86slut
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: AE86 money and drifting Thu, 23 September 2004 04:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Audioslaver wrote on Thu, 23 September 2004 13:41

mmmm.....mi goreng with boiled egg and a hint of pepper Razz

Oh yeah...... Love the egg on my Mi Goreng. I like the Sate one's better, but the chilli ones are damn good too.
J-AE86
Forums Junkie

January 2003
Re: AE86 money and drifting Thu, 23 September 2004 04:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
and all ae86 drivers who eat mi goreng will suffer from overdose in MSG Razz
ae86slaver
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: AE86 money and drifting Thu, 23 September 2004 04:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cancer roku! Twisted Evil
AE86slut
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: AE86 money and drifting Thu, 23 September 2004 04:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah, what's the deal with that? An Indo friend of mine said that eating Mi Goreng can lead to cancer. I thought she was on drugs.....
ae86slaver
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: AE86 money and drifting Thu, 23 September 2004 04:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hmmm well any kind of 2 min noodles is cancerous if you eat it enough, just think of all that artificial flavouring and msg, additives etc!!

its like putting deisel into your car every now and then LOL
ae95
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2003
Re: AE86 money and drifting Thu, 23 September 2004 04:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've heard that too
apparently it contains carcinogens which may cause cancer
AE86slut
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: AE86 money and drifting Thu, 23 September 2004 05:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah, but it's so damn good!

I'm willing to run the gauntlet.
ae86slaver
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: AE86 money and drifting Thu, 23 September 2004 06:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i've got cravings

*thinks about going to asian supermarket after work*
truenosedan
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: AE86 money and drifting Thu, 23 September 2004 06:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
they say milk causes autism
mi goerng give u cancer
maturbation makes you go blind
they say cigarettes kill your taste
they say speed kills
they say sex can give u std's

whats next....u get hairy palms from drifting....

milk is ok
mi goreng tastes good
im not blind yet... Rolling Eyes
i dont smoke
i like cars and thrashing em
sex feels good, dont know the chick wear a rubber

truth is something is going to kill us......

MI Goreng is the bomb, so ill eat it.......

if it kills me i die happy and thirsty....lol
AE86slut
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: AE86 money and drifting Thu, 23 September 2004 06:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Audioslaver wrote on Thu, 23 September 2004 16:27

i've got cravings

Just come over to my place (seeing as you haven't even checked out the place yet!)... I'll sort ya out! Laughing
ae86slaver
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: AE86 money and drifting Thu, 23 September 2004 06:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AE86slut wrote on Thu, 23 September 2004 16:30

Audioslaver wrote on Thu, 23 September 2004 16:27

i've got cravings

Just come over to my place (seeing as you haven't even checked out the place yet!)... I'll sort ya out! Laughing

LOL, would love to but i'm stuck in westyville so it'll be a trek 'n a half outta this shithole to urs Confused

truenosedan wrote on Thu, 23 September 2004 16:30

if it kills me i die happy and thirsty....lol

mmmm that reminds me, eating it dry/strained while served hot.

I'm all da way too. Mi Goreng till death!
mr2drift
Regular

October 2003
Re: AE86 money and drifting Thu, 23 September 2004 07:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yup simon has the right of it. just cause you have an ae86 does not mean you'll be able to kick arse in it, they are harder to slide than many people think, but i like to think more rewarding. run down of costs in my yellow 86:-

initial cost $1000

2 way trd diff center $600

T-18 diff housing $60

jap spec 4a-ge and gearbox $1250

transplant costs $500

coil overs $ made from parts in shed

rear suspension $100

strip weight $ lotsa time

cusco half cage $150

you just gotta look round and find stuff when it there, be willing to hold off and search more....
Simon-AE86
Forums Junkie

Banned user

July 2002

Re: AE86 money and drifting Thu, 23 September 2004 07:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tell em what susp set up you have Wink
Dodgy_Haro
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: AE86 money and drifting Thu, 23 September 2004 08:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Did someone say cut springs? Shocked Laughing

Hmmm ... wondering where you can pick up a half cage for $150 - that's a damn good price Josh ...

Ah ... saving up $$$ now ...
driftae86
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: AE86 money and drifting Thu, 23 September 2004 08:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mr2drift wrote on Thu, 23 September 2004 17:23

T-18 diff housing $60

cusco half cage $150

so do you have rear drum brakes? (guessing you swapped oz-spec rear with T-18 setup)

do they still go allright?

where did you get the cusco cage from? $150 is damn cheap
ae95
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2003
Re: AE86 money and drifting Thu, 23 September 2004 08:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah rear drums
mr2drift
Regular

October 2003
Re: AE86 money and drifting Thu, 23 September 2004 09:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yep still drum rear, it works way well enuff on the track for drifting, if it was sprints ect would not hold up, but it locks way better than a disc rear end, ask anyone whos been for a drift in it, no effort at all. use $19.95 repco shoes in the rear and they last ages and lock at will.........

hehe rear susp has modified old hilux front shock in it and cut and shaped (ie heated and leveled out) AU falocn rear springs in it. anyone dare tell me its bodgy and not good, come for a ride Very Happy simon knows....... Razz
Simon-AE86
Forums Junkie

Banned user

July 2002

Re: AE86 money and drifting Thu, 23 September 2004 09:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cant be too hard to find. i too have the same cage for thesame amount of dollars.

yes T18 is drums, dont need disk brakes for drift. drum handbrake works ok

mr2drift
Regular

October 2003
Re: AE86 money and drifting Thu, 23 September 2004 09:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeh found the cage by just repeatedly going into the local jap parts wrecker every week to see what he had in stock, lucked oput on that one. of course we cut it up and welded it in to make it better tho' LOL
mr2drift
Regular

October 2003
Re: AE86 money and drifting Thu, 23 September 2004 09:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thought you were workin on the car simon?
Simon-AE86
Forums Junkie

Banned user

July 2002

Re: AE86 money and drifting Thu, 23 September 2004 09:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah i just fitted headlight and stripped out carpet, ythats enough for one day Wink
mr2drift
Regular

October 2003
Re: AE86 money and drifting Thu, 23 September 2004 09:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lazy bastard, wheres the dedication
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: AE86 money and drifting Thu, 23 September 2004 09:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
haha simon and john, u povo ae86 drifters ! Very Happy
mr2drift
Regular

October 2003
Re: AE86 money and drifting Thu, 23 September 2004 09:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
whats wrong with povo. i PREFER to do my own stuff at least it stays togeather
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: AE86 money and drifting Thu, 23 September 2004 09:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mr2drift wrote on Thu, 23 September 2004 19:14

whats wrong with povo. i PREFER to do my own stuff at least it stays togeather

true that!

nothing wrong with povo!
IT DOES THE JOB!

heh i just love the dodgy mods
sigma arms
t18 diffs
cut and chop parts bin stuff.
hehe its cool!
ae95
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2003
Re: AE86 money and drifting Thu, 23 September 2004 09:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
heh
whats dodgy about t18diffs?

lemme know if you find another cage Very Happy
Simon-AE86
Forums Junkie

Banned user

July 2002

Re: AE86 money and drifting Thu, 23 September 2004 09:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sorry garth, we're not elist enough to buy TRd this TODA that, with HKS thingybobs hoklding up a BLITZ whatsitsname
mr2drift
Regular

October 2003
Re: AE86 money and drifting Thu, 23 September 2004 09:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
definately does the job, the sigma arms stay absoloutly spot on....
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: AE86 money and drifting Thu, 23 September 2004 09:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Simon-AE86 wrote on Thu, 23 September 2004 19:23

sorry garth, we're not elist enough to buy TRD this TODA that, with HKS thingybobs holding up a BLITZ whatsitsname

heh im SORRRRYYYYYY. Wink

blitz? come on! its not a skyline!

ps. elistism has nothing to do with buying brand new quality JDM bitz!
driftae86
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: AE86 money and drifting Thu, 23 September 2004 09:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Simon-AE86 wrote on Thu, 23 September 2004 19:23

sorry garth, we're not elist enough to buy TRd this TODA that, with HKS thingybobs hoklding up a BLITZ whatsitsname

Laughing Laughing Laughing
mr2drift
Regular

October 2003
Re: AE86 money and drifting Thu, 23 September 2004 09:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ROFLMAO damn thats awsome simon...hehehehe ill take my stocka and race ya up the mountains in it, whatdya reckon simon.....?
Simon-AE86
Forums Junkie

Banned user

July 2002

Re: AE86 money and drifting Thu, 23 September 2004 09:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
race what? your poo box stocker hahaha, i'll clean you up Razz
mr2drift
Regular

October 2003
Re: AE86 money and drifting Thu, 23 September 2004 09:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well anyone else but you simon
Simon-AE86
Forums Junkie

Banned user

July 2002

Re: AE86 money and drifting Thu, 23 September 2004 09:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
u want to race garth? thats a little unfair isnt it Wink
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: AE86 money and drifting Thu, 23 September 2004 09:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mr2drift wrote on Thu, 23 September 2004 19:27

ROFLMAO damn thats awsome simon...hehehehe ill take my stocka and race ya up the mountains in it, whatdya reckon simon.....?

directed at me Wink
sure!
mr2drift
Regular

October 2003
Re: AE86 money and drifting Thu, 23 September 2004 09:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i think the cheap setup is better, not afraid to use it and easy to replace, so it gets PROPERLY driven as a result......
mr2drift
Regular

October 2003
Re: AE86 money and drifting Thu, 23 September 2004 09:34 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
love mountain roads
Pages (5): [1  2  3  4  5  >  »]   Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: how do u make fiber glass door trims for a sprinter
Next Topic:paint and panel places in SA - whose good/bad
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 15:16:35 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.010218858718872 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.