Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » General Car Talk » engineering cert for exhaust?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
tanman
Forums Junkie

May 2002
engineering cert for exhaust? Sun, 19 September 2004 08:01 Go to next message
Just got my car running again after fiiting a new motor. Got pulled over for speeding (paying more attention to motor than speedo), cop says I need a engineering certificate for my exhaust. I said I was sure one is not needed and queried this. I ended up being lectured on how everything on a car is made to ADR's including footpedal and windows rubbers and that every change need a cert. I was going to ask him if I could be defected for my non-factory CD player, but decided not to as he was on the verge of giving me a defect for my exhaust.

I was of the understanding that an exhaust could only be defected for having a higher noise level than that set by the EPA.
  Send a private message to this user    
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: engineering cert for exhaust? Sun, 19 September 2004 11:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
A large number of modifications fall under the category of "owner certified modifications", ie no engineering is required provided you adhere to common-sense engineering principles. I'm almost certain an exhaust falls under this category... getting a car engineered for a new exhaust is ludicrous.

What happens when the exhaust in your stock 20yo Corolla rusts away and you need to replace it? You can't get a new factory-spec exhaust from Toyota, so are you required to go through engineering after the exhaust shop makes you one? Of course not. The cop was either ignorant or on an ego trip.
BlackSupra
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: engineering cert for exhaust? Sun, 19 September 2004 12:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if it is a different diameter to stock you could assume it requires an engineering certificate.

The argument would be that noise and/or emissions will be affected by a different spec one. 90db is the NSW limit.

I have just had my exhaust engineered along with all my other mods for peace of mind.
SupraPete
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: engineering cert for exhaust? Tue, 21 September 2004 05:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Like he said, if it changes the configuration (number of mufflers, type of mufflers, size of pipe, cat/hotdog/etc.) then it "needs" a certificate.

Call an egineer and ask them, they'll know, and you can believe them.
ta23
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: engineering cert for exhaust? Tue, 21 September 2004 09:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSupra wrote on Sun, 19 September 2004 22:00

if it is a different diameter to stock you could assume it requires an engineering certificate.

The argument would be that noise and/or emissions will be affected by a different spec one. 90db is the NSW limit.

I have just had my exhaust engineered along with all my other mods for peace of mind.

96db is the legal NSW limit. My car is fully engineered and it reads out mosts of the rules on the certificate.
SupraPete
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: engineering cert for exhaust? Tue, 21 September 2004 11:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
When I got mine engineered it was 89dB with a legal limit of 90dB. That was 1 and a half years ago.

They could've changed it to 96 since then.
BlackSupra
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: engineering cert for exhaust? Tue, 21 September 2004 11:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
it was 90db last thursday.
Joshstix
Forums Junkie

Toymods Vice President

May 2002
Re: engineering cert for exhaust? Tue, 21 September 2004 23:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The legal noise limit depends on the age of the car.
Bugman
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: engineering cert for exhaust? Wed, 22 September 2004 00:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
where did you get engineered black supra?
BlackSupra
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: engineering cert for exhaust? Wed, 22 September 2004 09:31 Go to previous message
keith knapp at rydalmere
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Im new here
Next Topic:3tg decisions
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun May 12 14:09:03 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0041661262512207 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.