Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Davies Craig fans Thu, 16 September 2004 04:34 Go to next message
Has anyone used one of these before? Had any problems with them?
I need a fan fairly urgently and these are about the only thing that I can find easily that are the right size Confused
  Send a private message to this user    
rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Davies Craig fans Thu, 16 September 2004 04:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah i had a twin 10inch setup on my RA40

worked fine no hassles at all, i had them on the front of radiator pushing air.

work for over a year still going, thats about all i can say
Danners
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Davies Craig fans Thu, 16 September 2004 04:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Same here... single 16" Davies Craig on mine, works well and still going strong for nearly 2 years

Dan
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Davies Craig fans Thu, 16 September 2004 04:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Great thanks. I'm looking at getting a 16 inch.

Just that a few people have said they are crap without giving a reason. Probably because they never got given enough pocket money to afford one Rolling Eyes
ke382TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Davies Craig fans Thu, 16 September 2004 05:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The Davies Craig on my last car worked perfectly for about 6 years (100 000 + km) before it developed a squeal and ceased to spin. I had a 12 inch one (the fan I mean Laughing )

My current one is working fine and is about 5 years old too. Don't know what particular problem they are meant to have Rolling Eyes , but mine have been ok.
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Davies Craig fans Thu, 16 September 2004 05:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Great thanks. Exactly what I wanted to hear.
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Davies Craig fans Thu, 16 September 2004 05:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
12" and 10" on mine (10" not a DC though)

zero hassles and a cold engine (damn broken thermo switch)
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Davies Craig fans Thu, 16 September 2004 05:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
note: DC electric water pumps have a BAD rep... perhaps this is the vibe youve been hearing about??
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Davies Craig fans Thu, 16 September 2004 05:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah maybe. Thanks
Satoshi
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: Davies Craig fans Thu, 16 September 2004 05:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hmm..i thought craig david's fan ... Laughing
SupraPete
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Davies Craig fans Thu, 16 September 2004 10:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
There are 2 types of 16inch DC fans. The DC32 and the DC12 (from memory).

The DC12 is the more heavy duty one. I'm running a DC12 on my 1UZ with supra intercooler. It moves a shitload of air. I can often see if my car is running warm by opening my door and putting my hand near the ground and can feel the hot wind blow.

I've had people (OzCraig) mention that their feet were getting warm when standing next to my door talking to me.

Once again - the DC12 moves a shitload of air. Thumbs up from me.

Mounting was easy too. Wiring I'm not good at, but its pretty easy, nice complete kit.
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Davies Craig fans Thu, 16 September 2004 10:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The only 16 inch fan they sell is the DCSL16.
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: Davies Craig fans Thu, 16 September 2004 11:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
my ma70 uses a 10" shrouded toyota fan, and a 14" fan they fit to a/m a/c systems on the old vn etc commodores.

I can feel the hot air come in my window, they suck so much Surprised

My ma61's A/c fan is a 12"Davies craig and used to actually cool the car wen the 5m was in it..

[Updated on: Thu, 16 September 2004 11:13]

draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Davies Craig fans Thu, 16 September 2004 11:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what size rad are you putting in shane?
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Davies Craig fans Thu, 16 September 2004 11:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Big as possible. 500 wide 450 high. Something like that.
sated
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: Davies Craig fans Tue, 21 September 2004 19:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ohh..

Another thing that i need to budget for with my rebuild.. but forgot. How much are the Davies Craig fans in general ?

I was also considering using the Davies Craig electric water pump but i've read mixed reviews about it. Cheap gain in transmitted hp if it did work well.
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Davies Craig fans Tue, 21 September 2004 21:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The 16 inch fans are about $300.
moo4AGZETA22
Regular

April 2003
Re: Davies Craig fans Tue, 21 September 2004 23:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
HI,
I'm doubtful as to whether it will fit, but have you looked into the possibility of fitting the twin AU Falcon set-up? My friend just picked his up yesterday to fit to his Jaguar XJS. He said it is one HUGE item. I've been roped into help fit it on Sunday. The joys of Jag ownership.....

Justin
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Davies Craig fans Wed, 22 September 2004 00:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
moo4AGZETA22 wrote on Wed, 22 September 2004 09:48

HI,
I'm doubtful as to whether it will fit, but have you looked into the possibility of fitting the twin AU Falcon set-up? My friend just picked his up yesterday to fit to his Jaguar XJS. He said it is one HUGE item. I've been roped into help fit it on Sunday. The joys of Jag ownership.....

Justin

The problem with most OEM fas is the shroud and fan is one unit. This is not a problem if you want to butcher the shroud and have it look like shit. But if your like me and have spent over 10K just to get the car close to running, you wouldn't want something shit looking bolted to the back of the radiator.
moo4AGZETA22
Regular

April 2003
Re: Davies Craig fans Wed, 22 September 2004 00:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,
This is what we'll be copying on Sunday:-
http://www.ichiexport.com.au/Personal/XJ-SC%20Mods /ICH%20181%20Mods.htm

His radiator is the same as my friends, who has a V12. It looks very neat and OEM.
If you were prepared to cut the radiator panel more to the drivers side, I'm sure that you'd be able to fit the fans on a big radiator.
The Jag puts out more heat than any other car I have ever been in (Bar a friends 808 with a 13B turbo), so I think if you've spent so much $$$, fitting a OEM thermos like the AU one would/could be a good idea with a custom radiator!?

Justin
ke382TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Davies Craig fans Wed, 22 September 2004 00:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:satoshi

hmm..i thought craig david's fan ...

http://img70.exs.cx/img70/5540/craigdavid1.jpg

I think fitting the above item to the radiator would be considered rice. What ever turns you on though........I spose.

Sorry to go off topic, I just new all my Craig David photo's would come in handy one day Laughing

I agree with keeping it neat Shane, from the few pics I have seen so far, it looks like it will be a great set up. Love the brakes Very Happy

[Updated on: Wed, 22 September 2004 01:01]

Azrael
Regular

September 2003
Re: Davies Craig fans Wed, 22 September 2004 01:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The only bad thing I'd have to say about my Davies Craig is the stupid copper sensor on the thermo switch that looks so ugly hanging out your raditor pipes. I have heard romours of a different type of sensor that looks so much neater.

Might be something to consider if you're going for the neat engine bay look.

Smile
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Davies Craig fans Wed, 22 September 2004 01:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
moo4AGZETA22 wrote on Wed, 22 September 2004 10:50

Hi,
This is what we'll be copying on Sunday:-
http://www.ichiexport.com.au/Personal/XJ-SC%20Mods /ICH%20181%20Mods.htm

His radiator is the same as my friends, who has a V12. It looks very neat and OEM.
If you were prepared to cut the radiator panel more to the drivers side, I'm sure that you'd be able to fit the fans on a big radiator.
The Jag puts out more heat than any other car I have ever been in (Bar a friends 808 with a 13B turbo), so I think if you've spent so much $$$, fitting a OEM thermos like the AU one would/could be a good idea with a custom radiator!?

Justin

i emailed this guy ages ago about his EWP install. said he has had zero hassles with it, even trekking aorund hot Aus, and also taking it on the track... then again, if i could get a bolt on Meziere(sp?) pump, i would Wink
people100
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: Davies Craig fans Wed, 22 September 2004 11:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thermos are good if thats all u can fit in but put a engine fan on of some sort if you can fit it. if not use a shround with your thermo for the best results and do not mount it straight to the rad.
sated
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: Davies Craig fans Thu, 23 September 2004 08:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ARGHHH!!!! - more blood -

Cool1 wrote on Wed, 22 September 2004 05:51

The 16 inch fans are about $300.

sated
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: Davies Craig fans Thu, 23 September 2004 08:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Actually i'm more of a Tawny Roberts Fan. Shocked
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Davies Craig fans Thu, 23 September 2004 13:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
people100 wrote on Wed, 22 September 2004 21:14

thermos are good if thats all u can fit in but put a engine fan on of some sort if you can fit it. if not use a shround with your thermo for the best results and do not mount it straight to the rad.

That's it. There IS a reason why GTRs, Supras, etc. have got clutch fans instead of electric fans.
boxh34d
Regular

May 2004
Re: Davies Craig fans Fri, 24 September 2004 04:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
and do we actually know why that is shinny???
i have heard this many a time, but i am yet to hear of why...
does anyone know??
is it purely because of the fact that clutch fans usually have a good shroud design, or because it is unlikely that they will fail or what is it??
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Davies Craig fans Fri, 24 September 2004 04:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cos they work well and they're reliable.
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: Davies Craig fans Fri, 24 September 2004 05:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm walking away.........
From all the troubles in my life....
I'm walking away..........
And 'ghey' rhymes with 'away'....

Surprised

It just had to be said.

And speaking of which, what JCMF said is spot on, clutch fans work uber well and shrouds are used because they work and work damn fine. Tests have been done on radiators with and without shrounds on the fans, and with a shroud they dissipate heat faster. (Wat-up dude, who bin dis-in my pate ? Word up.)

Very Happy

The clutch mechanism allows the fan to be switchable so that it is off when its not required, in cold conditions, like snow for example, when you want the engine to get up to temp. The cars are built for all climates all around the world, not just this sunburnt country we call home.
Bugman
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Davies Craig fans Fri, 24 September 2004 06:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
also ever had a multimeter on the battery when the thermos kick in.. voltage drops and hence you will have a weaker spark.

you will notice your idle drops a little too.
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Davies Craig fans Fri, 24 September 2004 06:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
boxh34d wrote on Fri, 24 September 2004 14:06

and do we actually know why that is shinny???
i have heard this many a time, but i am yet to hear of why...
does anyone know??
is it purely because of the fact that clutch fans usually have a good shroud design, or because it is unlikely that they will fail or what is it??

simple.
an engine mounted fan will move more air than an electric fan of similar size. look at the blades of the engine fans, they are huge compared to the electric fans.
BUT and engine fan, by moving more air, uses more power.. it is a parasitic power loss on the motor. this loss increases as a function of the square of the rpm (loss is proportional to rpm^2)

now put on electric fan. doesn't work as well, but doesn't have direct parasitic loss on motor when it revs high. so you feel like you have more power (and you do!). but the electric fan also uses electricity via battery and puts parasitic drain on the alternator. BUT this is not as much drain as the engine fan (since it's moving less air) so you still have more power available than with an engine fan..

then if you add a clutch to the fan. at low engine speeds, fan spins at engine speed (pulley speed), and clutch doesn't slip. as engine revs increase, the power required to move the fan increases, increasing load ont he motor. at some point, the clutch slips, and the engine can still rev more, bt the fan speed doesn't increase proportionally to the engine speed...

the lower the fan speed, the lower the losses.

this lower fan speed is fine as it's still moving a shiteload of air, and is enough to keep radiator cool..

always keep in mind that above 40-50km/hr, the fan isn't helping much, car/airspeed is what cools the radiator then...

anyway...
Cya, Stewart
boxh34d
Regular

May 2004
Re: Davies Craig fans Fri, 24 September 2004 07:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jcmf: i kinda knew that part Razz they wouldnt still be used on such fine production cars if they didnt work well.

old corollas: that makes perfect sense. never actually looked at the difference in fan blade sizes between the 2, but now that you mention it, it has all becomes so clear ( insert bright light over head, and 'ding' noise here )
cheers guys.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Davies Craig fans Fri, 24 September 2004 08:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
boxh34d wrote on Fri, 24 September 2004 15:55

jcmf: i kinda knew that part Razz they wouldnt still be used on such fine production cars if they didnt work well.

Reliability issues of the engine itself, you only have to look at the BMW M3 CSL. Even though they were wringing that 3.2l engines neck for power naturally aspirated, they chose a normal engine fan.
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Davies Craig fans Fri, 24 September 2004 08:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
heh heh that too..

hmm longevity of a viscous fan coupling vs an electric motor...
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Davies Craig fans Fri, 24 September 2004 08:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cheaper to replace the viscous fluid than an electric fan/motor Smile
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Davies Craig fans Fri, 24 September 2004 09:03 Go to previous message
justcallmefrank wrote on Fri, 24 September 2004 18:23

Cheaper to replace the viscous fluid than an electric fan/motor Smile

Might be cheaper to replace the fluid but you'll be needing to sell and arm, leg and both testicles to replace the fan.

And all this talk about which type of fan is better, are you guys trying to compensate for something? a small penis? I mean a crap radiator thats not very good at doing its job?
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Corona Experts
Next Topic:Do i need dump pipes ?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 03:44:29 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0070540904998779 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.