Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » how to swap over a steering wheel?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
froodogs
Regular

October 2002
icon5.gif  how to swap over a steering wheel? Wed, 09 October 2002 06:41 Go to next message
Feel like a total noob asking a question like this, but... Embarassed

how to swap over my ae86's steering wheel for an aftermarket one?

I've had a look on the web for this info, but the one site i found had porsche-specific information only.

Do i need special tools, or will standard stuff (socket wrench, screwdrivers) do the job?

I've managed to pop off the big ol 'S' in the middle, which exposes a big nut, which i expect is the thing that needs undoing, but i'd prefer not to just lay in until i know what i'm doing. Little help? Ideas on how not to break things? how to make sure it all lines up properly?
  Send a private message to this user    
haggis
Regular

May 2002
Re: how to swap over a steering wheel? Wed, 09 October 2002 06:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes, you will need a special puller to get the steering wheel off. Some people just drive around with the nut you mentioned loose till the steering wheel becomes loose, but i find this a tad worrying.

Your local automotive shop (eg Autobarn or similar) should be able to help.

Dont forget, you will need to get the correct boss to fit the new steering wheel to!

Craig.
Hunty
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: how to swap over a steering wheel? Wed, 09 October 2002 07:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
that nut is a 3/4 inch so grab a socket set with the appropriate socket (3/4 inch) and undo it, you may have to put the steering wheel in lock mode pull out the keys and turn the wheel till it locks ya know? then remember where the steering wheel is facing ie where the top of the wheel is this is important coz if u forget when u put the new wheel on it will be crooked when driving straight. Now you can go buy a special puller OR just use the brute force and ignorance tool which i have found to be VERY useful. so once the nut is off just yank on the steering wheel hard till it comes off. Once you got it off grab ya Boss kit making sure it is for an ae86, bolt the new wheel to it and line it up on the steering column remembering where the old one had the tpo of it pointing! then put the nut back on and your done
haggis
Regular

May 2002
Re: how to swap over a steering wheel? Wed, 09 October 2002 07:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The nut is a 19mm from memory.

I've seen Hunty's setup. His method worked quite well.

Craig.
Hunty
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: how to swap over a steering wheel? Wed, 09 October 2002 07:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oh yeh for those living in the Metric system its a 19mm Razz but i was using my grandads socket set seeing as i broke just about every socket in my 10$ cheap as chips set. His where in Imperial. 3/4 inch is basically the same as 19mm.
froodogs
Regular

October 2002
Re: how to swap over a steering wheel? Wed, 09 October 2002 07:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thanks v. much hunty. That should do me just fine.

how tight should i do up the nut again? tight as i can crank it on? finger-tight then a bit more?

i've no idea.
GIN51E
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2002

Re: how to swap over a steering wheel? Wed, 09 October 2002 10:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
do what i do and hit back of steering wheels with your palms and mine comes off, (but usually ends up smacking me in the head Rolling Eyes ) as for doing up the nut i say finger tight then turn it another half turn don't do it to tight or you will never get it off again or stuff up the thread.
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: how to swap over a steering wheel? Wed, 09 October 2002 10:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Peoples, steering wheels ain't hard to get off, and you don't need a puller or to smack yourself in the head. Undo the nut, then screw it on a couple of turns (to protect the thread). Put your knees under the wheel, and pull on the top (to pull equally on both sides), then give the nut a few gently taps with a hammer. Do it right and you'll damage nothing and have the wheel off in under a minute, with no injurys Razz
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: how to swap over a steering wheel? Wed, 09 October 2002 12:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
And make sure the battery is disconnected otherwise the horn runs non-stop....or at least thats what my local Ian Diffen found out.
froodogs
Regular

October 2002
Re: how to swap over a steering wheel? Wed, 09 October 2002 12:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ah, now there you've run into an interesting point... Rolling Eyes

i dont have a horn.

the last owner (i've only recently obtained this car) took it upon himself to rip the damn thing out. so now i'm trying to find one to put in there.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: how to swap over a steering wheel? Wed, 09 October 2002 15:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Haha, the horn has been...engineered...to not work on my new car...damn it.

Same on the last car I bought, only that horn had died, and the compressor for the air-horn had SOMEHOW managed to get paint in it before I bought it...
ra23celicachick
Forums Junkie

September 2002
Re: how to swap over a steering wheel? Thu, 10 October 2002 05:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My horns went through a stage where it would just start going off as I was driving. Really embarrasing as you're driving down the highway or past a whole heap of people. Embarassed

I haven't had that problem for a while now. Think we fixed it which was good cause my car is low and there are a lot of 4x4's around my area so no one sees me so I need my horn to stop being flattened by people who can't drive.
RA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: how to swap over a steering wheel? Thu, 10 October 2002 06:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The tool is the easiest but you can just put a piece of wood on the bolt (for protection) press your knees hard underneath it and belt the crap out of the wood with a hammer. should pop off.

Tim.
Pumpkin
Regular

Toymods Board Member

September 2002
Re: how to swap over a steering wheel? Thu, 10 October 2002 06:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Or you could just, Undo the nut.. spray WD40 down there.. and pull .. Usually works for me!! Very Happy
purpleminiep
Regular

May 2002
Re: how to swap over a steering wheel? Fri, 11 October 2002 05:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dont hit the bolt without supporting the wheel from behind or you might colapse the steering column. This is generally not good for direct steering and feel.

Brad
froodogs
Regular

October 2002
Re: how to swap over a steering wheel? Mon, 14 October 2002 04:30 Go to previous message
did the swap on the weekend. ended up just raiding one from a trueno that was being wrecked. more authentic, and definitely a step up from the sprinter one i had (core was separating from grip)

on that note, if anyone wants a cheap sprinter wheel in perth, or a boss kit to suit an ae86, let me know Wink
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:tyre pressure
Next Topic:18rg-eu AFM for 2tg-eu
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 05:02:11 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0051710605621338 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.