Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » General Car Talk » what would you choose? GT4, AW11 or Soarer????

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
doobs
Regular

September 2003
what would you choose? GT4, AW11 or Soarer???? Thu, 23 September 2004 14:58 Go to next message
Ey all,

Im after some advice, as you can see from my sig, I own a 87 st162 celica. Im very happy with the car and enjoy driving it, but in the last week I've been driving a 1ggte soarer, and I love it. The twin turbo power and rwd make it so fun and fast Very Happy.

I think it may be time to upgrade to a faster/funner car.

I have always loved GT4's, but I also like the AW11 MR2's & Soarers, so they seem like a logical choice for my next car.

If i did dicided to get a new car, out of the 3 above what would you chose and why? and also what are the cost to insure them comprehensivly for a 19 year old (no accidents or claims).

Thanx fellas
  Send a private message to this user    
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: what would you choose? GT4, AW11 or Soarer???? Thu, 23 September 2004 15:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AW11 - most fun you could have with an N/A...sure you could get the supercharged one, but it'd cost a bucketload to insure, same as the other two turbo ones you mentioned.

Bang for buck the AW11 gets my vote.

Of course if you don't care about the 'buck' part then you know where my vote would go Smile
doobs
Regular

September 2003
Re: what would you choose? GT4, AW11 or Soarer???? Thu, 23 September 2004 15:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You seem to be thinking on the same lines as me, If i was to get one this year it would most likly be a n/a mr2, but I think i might just keep saving a little longer so i can afford the super/turbo charged modles.
Ben Wilson
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: what would you choose? GT4, AW11 or Soarer???? Thu, 23 September 2004 22:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Insurance on any of them will be expensive, a NA AW11 will just hurt, insurance on a Soarer or GT4 will be hideous. Possibly a v8 Soarer will be a little cheaper.
olihaub
Regular

July 2004
Re: what would you choose? GT4, AW11 or Soarer???? Thu, 23 September 2004 22:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
aw11 all da way
Evan
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: what would you choose? GT4, AW11 or Soarer???? Thu, 23 September 2004 23:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Find a nice Carlos Sainz GT4 celica.
So beautiful. i love em.
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: what would you choose? GT4, AW11 or Soarer???? Fri, 24 September 2004 00:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
whats your main aim?
id probably take an early jzz30 soarer.. fast car, great engine and luxury and pimp
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: what would you choose? GT4, AW11 or Soarer???? Fri, 24 September 2004 00:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Turbo cars are good, but if you want something that is purely 'car fun', the AW-11 is sweet! Mid-mount light-weight tiny little bugger with a ridiculously revable 1600cc engine.

It's almost as good as a Lotus Smile
Benjamin
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: what would you choose? GT4, AW11 or Soarer???? Fri, 24 September 2004 00:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well if you dont drive like a dick insurance shouldn't be a prob. I got my sc'd aw11 when I was 19 and I am paying about $500 a year for third party property. Don't bother with comprehensive, especially now since you can get fire and theft protection for an extra $100-350.

thats with JUST CARS.
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: what would you choose? GT4, AW11 or Soarer???? Fri, 24 September 2004 00:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
just cars do fire & theft for sydney people now?
Benjamin
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: what would you choose? GT4, AW11 or Soarer???? Fri, 24 September 2004 00:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
draven wrote on Fri, 24 September 2004 10:56

just cars do fire & theft for sydney people now?

yep
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: what would you choose? GT4, AW11 or Soarer???? Fri, 24 September 2004 00:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sure do.

Anyways, out of those I'd probably have to take the Soarer, it just has a pimp quality none of the others have.
Benjamin
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: what would you choose? GT4, AW11 or Soarer???? Fri, 24 September 2004 00:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I dont have it but my friend down the road does.
It is about $300 extra with JUST CARS but $150 with AAMI and JUST CARS is underwritten by AAMI
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: what would you choose? GT4, AW11 or Soarer???? Fri, 24 September 2004 01:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
justcallmefrank wrote on Fri, 24 September 2004 10:57

Sure do.

Anyways, out of those I'd probably have to take the Soarer, it just has a pimp quality none of the others have.

i think we have different objectives to everyone else lol
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: what would you choose? GT4, AW11 or Soarer???? Fri, 24 September 2004 01:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I get in trouble if I say some of the other reasons Smile

[Updated on: Fri, 24 September 2004 01:08]

doobs
Regular

September 2003
Re: what would you choose? GT4, AW11 or Soarer???? Fri, 24 September 2004 03:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MMM it does really depend on what I want, I think i will end up choosing the soarer, they just so comfy while being a fast/powerful car to.

But then the gt4 and mr2 are still very tempting. I think i will have to get off my ass and go test drive as many as possible.

[Updated on: Fri, 24 September 2004 03:24]

toof
Forums Junkie

July 2003

Re: what would you choose? GT4, AW11 or Soarer???? Fri, 24 September 2004 03:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you like the power, then dont go an n/a AW11. Mine is stock (atm) and i cant even spin the tyres on launch. I dont know if this is just the clutch but they really dont have that much torque.

After saying that though, they are just a big go cart and heaps of fun!
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: what would you choose? GT4, AW11 or Soarer???? Fri, 24 September 2004 03:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
justcallmefrank wrote on Fri, 24 September 2004 10:27

Sure do.

Werd!

Pimp it out all the way! Very Happy
truenosedan
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: what would you choose? GT4, AW11 or Soarer???? Fri, 24 September 2004 04:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
get and MZ21, look for a manual one...u will love it, a coupla bucks on handling mods...and you are set..

they cruise cruise and cruise, eg road trips interstate, can drag, can drift...and have lots of luxo features, my pick for sure...
rollagrl
Newcomer

September 2004
Re: what would you choose? GT4, AW11 or Soarer???? Fri, 24 September 2004 07:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
go the gt4!
doobs
Regular

September 2003
icon14.gif  Re: what would you choose? GT4, AW11 or Soarer???? Fri, 24 September 2004 07:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
truenosedan wrote on Fri, 24 September 2004 14:15

get and MZ21, look for a manual one...u will love it, a coupla bucks on handling mods...and you are set..

they cruise cruise and cruise, eg road trips interstate, can drag, can drift...and have lots of luxo features, my pick for sure...

:D:D:D exactly what i found out when driving my mates
cutsGotBoost
Regular

September 2004
Re: what would you choose? GT4, AW11 or Soarer???? Fri, 24 September 2004 08:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
go the gt4 all paw drive.
i had a st185 RC (jap version of carlos sainz version) and i was 18 my insurance was 330 for third party, or 600 for fire and theft also. so thats not 2 bad (through just cars) better then most.
NutyMike
Newcomer

August 2004
Re: what would you choose? GT4, AW11 or Soarer???? Fri, 24 September 2004 10:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just get a N/a Aw11 and drop a 20v in it still plenty of poke and with good setups handle brilliant mines soo much funn on the track the quad throttles scream then kik the clutch and ur sideways altho cant beat turbo power like the soarer and 4wd;s arnt enuf fun Wink
wiso
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: what would you choose? GT4, AW11 or Soarer???? Fri, 24 September 2004 10:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
toof wrote on Fri, 24 September 2004 13:47

If you like the power, then dont go an n/a AW11. Mine is stock (atm) and i cant even spin the tyres on launch. I dont know if this is just the clutch but they really dont have that much torque.

oh cousre you can't spin the tyres on launch, that how they are designed to grab traction, not to sit there wasting time spinning wheels, they get away before anyone else Very Happy

Doobs as you know I have just made this transition, from St162 to AW11, gotta say so far I love the AW11, its pretty phat, mines got some uprated supension and damn it out hadles anything Very Happy . Not the quickest thing in a straight, great off launch, awsome on corners, and can drift suprising Shocked , I am running my engine in, so 3000-4000 changes and I have still had the back out a few times. But they are very small if you never have to carry shit your right, if you do, I wouldn't get one of these.
toof
Forums Junkie

July 2003

Re: what would you choose? GT4, AW11 or Soarer???? Sat, 25 September 2004 04:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wiso wrote on Fri, 24 September 2004 20:30

toof wrote on Fri, 24 September 2004 13:47

oh cousre you can't spin the tyres on launch, that how they are designed to grab traction, not to sit there wasting time spinning wheels, they get away before anyone else Very Happy

Doobs as you know I have just made this transition, from St162 to AW11, gotta say so far I love the AW11, its pretty phat, mines got some uprated supension and damn it out hadles anything Very Happy . Not the quickest thing in a straight, great off launch, awsome on corners, and can drift suprising Shocked , I am running my engine in, so 3000-4000 changes and I have still had the back out a few times. But they are very small if you never have to carry shit your right, if you do, I wouldn't get one of these.

hmmm erin posting on my name again....

the aw wont ligth em up as i feel the clutch isnt quite hard enough. a better clutch and im sur eit'll junmp off the line heaps quicker.. as to make reasnable power (sp. wheel spinning) you have to rev the tits off it. and givning it 5k of poke and side stepping it the clutch ill slip... mmm ceramic clutch next week Smile ill get back to on how it jumps off the line with the btter clutch. its getting made up atm. so ill put it in next week.
wiso
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: what would you choose? GT4, AW11 or Soarer???? Sat, 25 September 2004 04:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeha I have a Diaken heavy duty clutch on mine, but I have not yet been able to take advantage of the launch, as I am still running the engine in, she only has 350km on it and the clutch, I can't wait to see it goes though
pjaw11sc
Regular

February 2004
Re: what would you choose? GT4, AW11 or Soarer???? Sat, 25 September 2004 15:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
toof wrote on Sat, 25 September 2004 13:56

the aw wont ligth em up as i feel the clutch isnt quite hard enough. a better clutch and im sur eit'll junmp off the line heaps quicker.. as to make reasnable power (sp. wheel spinning) you have to rev the tits off it. and givning it 5k of poke and side stepping it the clutch ill slip... mmm ceramic clutch next week Smile ill get back to on how it jumps off the line with the btter clutch. its getting made up atm. so ill put it in next week.

or you could just get an sc aw11 Very Happy its just as good at cornering as the n/a but more power oooooooo yeeaaaaaaa Evil or Very Mad
BlackSupra
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: what would you choose? GT4, AW11 or Soarer???? Sun, 26 September 2004 00:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
aw11 with some engine work is what id be looking at.
smt_007
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: what would you choose? GT4, AW11 or Soarer???? Sun, 26 September 2004 00:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Whats your Budget?.
doobs
Regular

September 2003
Re: what would you choose? GT4, AW11 or Soarer???? Sun, 26 September 2004 01:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Budget would be around 10 - 12k. You rekon I might find a SW20 mrs in that price range?
KYOTO
Regular

April 2004
Re: what would you choose? GT4, AW11 or Soarer???? Sun, 26 September 2004 04:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have owned one version or another of the three cars on your shortlist, and my personal favourite would be the GT4. I currently have an ST165 and a UZZ332 and i'd choose the smaller, lighter, AWD/turbo car any day of the week. Having said that though they are all quite different cars, despite the MR2 and the GT4 sharing a similar makeup. My advice is to test drive all three and then look carefully at your priorities.

I should say that even though my (1UZFE) Lexus is a fucking boat of a car and def. not a sportscar per se, i can't see the 1JZ changing the platforms basic underpinnings that much. You can make them handle, but you will never escape the basic truth that its a big, heavy, boat. If youre hoping to get into something you can hit the twisties in or nip in and out of traffic with, go the GT4 or the MR2, but if youre a closet pimp, the Soarer will suit you well.

Here is my reasoning on why i would go the GT4, you may find it helpful.

- Im a sucker for homologated rally cars
- AWD goodness
- Rarity/Exclusivity (I've never seen another 165 in Melb, tho i know of at least two others in the state)
- Looks (18yrs later the classic 80s wedge styling still looks sexy)
- Price
- Size

They're all great cars though so i doubt you will go wrong with any of them. I'll prolly get flamed for this, but if you were to go for the MR2, i'd go for a late model SW20!

Good luck Smile

toof
Forums Junkie

July 2003

Re: what would you choose? GT4, AW11 or Soarer???? Sun, 26 September 2004 06:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
[quote title=pjaw11sc wrote on Sun, 26 September 2004 01:52
or you could just get an sc aw11 Very Happy its just as good at cornering as the n/a but more power oooooooo yeeaaaaaaa Evil or Very Mad [/quote]

like our other aw that is currently on the boat from japan Smile
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: what would you choose? GT4, AW11 or Soarer???? Sun, 26 September 2004 09:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If I was going an MR2 I'd be going an SW20 for sure, but I'd want a turbo, and I don't think they'd fall into that bracket. Get a GZ20, bomb the suspension and get it schmick and by then you'll get bored with the power and install a 1JZGTE and manual Smile

Get one of the revised models though, cos they look a lot nicer.
doobs
Regular

September 2003
Re: what would you choose? GT4, AW11 or Soarer???? Sun, 26 September 2004 10:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm likeing the look of the SW20 with the targa top ATM, I think i might save the extra cash and get the turbo one if i choose an MR2.

Insurance is gonna be costly how ever I look at it, with any of the cars im after.
sated
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: what would you choose? GT4, AW11 or Soarer???? Sun, 26 September 2004 19:40 Go to previous message
AW11. No question.
Having driven both the AW11 and the SW20, i'd take the AW11. Its more entertaining and rewarding to drive. Can be twitchy though.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:should i do a rust repair or a quick fix???
Next Topic:errr did someoen say mk5?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri May 3 16:02:34 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.010354995727539 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.