Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » General Car Talk » Brisbane area engineer?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
peeack
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

September 2004
Brisbane area engineer? Fri, 24 September 2004 05:31 Go to next message
Okay, so I need my engine complianced before I can get my car roadworthied before I can get it transfered into my name, does anyone know an Auto Engineer in the brisbane area I can goto to get this done? Please let me know :\

A somewhat decent mechanic to get it roadworthied would be nice too, like one you've been to before.
  Send a private message to this user    
DanielJ
Regular

July 2002
Re: Brisbane area engineer? Fri, 24 September 2004 06:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Try John Kean - he's mobile, so he'll come to you. His number is 0409 627 336 (unless it has changed). He did the mod plate for the 20V in my Sprinter.
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Brisbane area engineer? Fri, 24 September 2004 08:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I know a guy at Redcliffe that can do it for you. He should also be able to get a road worthy for you aswell. Send me a PM if you want the details.
NickAE86
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: Brisbane area engineer? Sat, 25 September 2004 02:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
www.pms.net.au

located in slacks creek
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: Brisbane area engineer? Sat, 25 September 2004 10:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
any suggestions for someone (in Brisbane) to engineer my conversion of a draw-thru turbo to EFI turbo using non-commercial_ECU (megasquirt)?

i'm hoping to find an engineer that will be interested in what i've done/doing as opposed to one who will be suspicious about something that doesn't come with a warranty and is hand-built?

wilbo666
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Brisbane area engineer? Sat, 25 September 2004 11:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hmmm, on that note charles. With non stock ECU does this mean you will need to undergo emissions testing? If so URGH

Cheers
Wilbo

thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: Brisbane area engineer? Sat, 25 September 2004 12:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i dunno but i doubt it - i figure that it'll run cleaner (emmissions-wise) than any factory 18RC Wink
but point is noted... errgh
people100
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: Brisbane area engineer? Sat, 25 September 2004 12:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
u dont need a engineer cert do ya..its already modded for turbo so i assumed anything to do with the turbo mod would be covered. U can just say it was always like that.
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: Brisbane area engineer? Sat, 25 September 2004 12:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the mod plate (technically) covers the turbo - code LA1 on the blue plate - i think there is a different code for conversion to EFI.

it would only matter if a DoT inspector pulled me up for a once-over... or if i went to sell it and i ended up with an overly thorough Safety Certificate provider.

it's unlikely, but i's like to deal with it before it becomes a major issue... Laughing
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Brisbane area engineer? Sat, 25 September 2004 14:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Talk to me on ICQ Chucky.
crokdee
Regular

July 2004
Re: Brisbane area engineer? Tue, 28 September 2004 11:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cooparoo Engineering and Performance. I am getting them to whack on the 2tg head on my 3t block while doing a few other things. Seems to know his stuff.

Crok.
peeack
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

September 2004
Re: Brisbane area engineer? Tue, 28 September 2004 14:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oww, I wish I knew that first, I live right near cooparoo. Ahwell, I'm getting sorted now!
crokdee
Regular

July 2004
Re: Brisbane area engineer? Wed, 06 October 2004 00:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey mate, where abouts do u live? I am in camp hill, just up the road from the caltex. Probably seen my red 74 Celica then? Should meet up in the near future. I just need to get a bit more info on what i am driving and such, if your able to help?

Cheers mate,
crok.
peeack
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

September 2004
Re: Brisbane area engineer? Thu, 07 October 2004 15:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
haha, I work at Camp Hill woolies, do you know who owns the GT4 (numberplates GTFWOR) on old cleavland road?

I drive a maroon cressida and soon a white supra, haven't seen your celica around that I can remember though
crokdee
Regular

July 2004
Re: Brisbane area engineer? Thu, 14 October 2004 00:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No mate, i don't know the guy who owns it, but i have seen it a bit. You are refering to the white one across the road from the caltex hey? Driven past it heaps of times, cuz i am just up from there.....up bennets road a little. Woolies in camp hill? Trying to think where that is>>>> Cuz i know that there is a coles in cooparoo.....woolies....is that up near the camphill hotel that way, ie closer to carindale?

Anyhow, 10 to 1, you'll see me out and about in the celica. I can't help but drive it hard....it seems to me that it was designed to be driven hard anyway.

Btw, the Cooparoo engine and performance people are sure taking their time on a quote. All i want them to do is quote me on putting a 2t-g head on the 3t block and doing some honing and such. Apparently should get 85-87kw at the RW with that done and the new twin side-drafts. That would be more than sufficient. hehe.

Crok.
hickoz_bro
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: Brisbane area engineer? Fri, 18 March 2005 05:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thechuckster wrote on Sat, 25 September 2004 20:57

any suggestions for someone (in Brisbane) to engineer my conversion of a draw-thru turbo to EFI turbo using non-commercial_ECU (megasquirt)?

why would you bother with a draw through set up? from what i've heard it's all bad... you basically increase the volume for a bomb should the car backfire, you've got all the plumbing from the intake manifold through the cooler, turbo, and then throught the throttly body? and on top of that, you end up with the air fuel mixture running through the turbo... ie HOT, so the fuel is likely to condense, and therefore you don't get a good burn... hmmmmm... perhaps i'm completely arse about, but if there was any advantage to a draw through set up, i'm sure it'd be used more Confused
wilbo666
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Brisbane area engineer? Fri, 18 March 2005 08:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hickoz_bro wrote on Fri, 18 March 2005 16:45

why would you bother with a draw through set up? from what i've heard it's all bad... you basically increase the volume for a bomb should the car backfire, you've got all the plumbing from the intake manifold through the cooler, turbo, and then throught the throttly body? and on top of that, you end up with the air fuel mixture running through the turbo... ie HOT, so the fuel is likely to condense, and therefore you don't get a good burn... hmmmmm... perhaps i'm completely arse about, but if there was any advantage to a draw through set up, i'm sure it'd be used more Confused

It actually reads that he's converting from a draw through carby/turbo setup to a turbo + EFI setup (mega squirt)....and he's not 100% sure if he'll have to get it mod plated or not Smile

Cheers
Wilbo
styler
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: Brisbane area engineer? Fri, 18 March 2005 09:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hickoz_bro wrote on Fri, 18 March 2005 16:45

cooler as in intercooler? and if this is a draw thru turbo
aka suck thru - carby (hes converting to efi...) then you cant have an intercooler hooked up because as you say it does have a tendancy to blow up lol

[Updated on: Fri, 18 March 2005 09:27]

hickoz_bro
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: Brisbane area engineer? Sat, 19 March 2005 14:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oh yeah.... hehe... oops...

even still... why would you have it there in the first place? i can under stand with a supercharger... 'cause you don't have that much distance between the venturi and the intake... *shrugs* spose there's bound to be a reason
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: Brisbane area engineer? Sat, 19 March 2005 14:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wow - this old thread suddenly sprung to life Wink

i think hickoz_bro & styler guessed wrong ...

the older setup was a very 70-80's inspired thing, low-tech, no intercooler, big turbo, ugly carbi in front of turbo, prone to pinging/detonation, ...

the new setup (still to complete) will be a conventional turbo+EFI setup: smallish turbo (boost at lower rpm), piped to intercooler (ex JZ factory front-mount), then back inside to throttle & plenum (i have modded the original custom-made intake to tae injectors).

the only carbi+ intercooler turb setups i've seen have had blow-thru configuration
hickoz_bro
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: Brisbane area engineer? Sat, 19 March 2005 14:54 Go to previous message
ahhh ok... that makes sense... figured the only way you'd use a draw through carby set up is if you weren't really sure about turbos... ie... the 70's and 80's... no 'cooler kinda makes it similar to a draw through 'charger... just with hotter intake, and lag... okie dokie... it's clear in my head Very Happy
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:5M-GE MX73, advice
Next Topic:Breakdown of Parts Weights MA/JZA70
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 18:39:09 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0080089569091797 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.