Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Members Rides » Andrew's 1999 RAV4/GT-Four Hybrid ... (up for sale).

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
RAV-GT4
Forums Junkie

Toymods member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Andrew's 1999 RAV4/GT-Four Hybrid Project... Tue, 17 August 2004 13:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Stu,

I turned up to the Toymods Meeting last night with gearbox oil cooler leaking issues. No small drips either, this was almost enough to drain a gearbox. Shocked It turned out to be rather fun in the rain, people losing traction as they try to walk up the hill on the tarmac... Laughing

Last night was one of the biggest meetings of any car club I've ever seen. As Stitt aptly put it last night, the bigger crowds seem to come out when it's raining. Confused I was sitting inside the hall with about 15 others at the time, when Jason (YellowRolla) stuck his head in the door and asked if I was going to pop the hood. And there the masses were, like bees to the honey-pot... there had to be more than 30 people scattered around my car anxious to get a look-see. Very Happy That blew me away. I popped the bonnet open and various forms of flashlights came out to inspect the work done. A very appropriate and on-queue type of "OOOOooo" buzzed around the masses as some fascinated people's faces lit up. Smile

Overall I reckon the crowd were fairly impressed by what they saw (and heard, giving it a blatt at idle), very unexpected to hear that coming from a RAV4. After pizza I cruised back with Toobs to his joint to see if we could locate the source of this gear oil problem. I thought it was coming from the box itself, but we later found that the splashes and drips pointed back to the oil cooler. The fittings that were bought for this cooler were designed so that the hose just "snaps" on and that's it - no clampage necessary. It seems this isn't the case for an ST205 box and the standard RAV4 cooler. Sad So we fixed this up temporarily and early on today I took it back to Chris's place to get a couple of clamps fitted up to it. We'll see how this affects it in the morning. A big fat thankyou and mega-props to Toobs and Timmy for accommodating my car's needs at a short-notice. Nod

All my recent pics have been uploaded to our new RAV4OZ server (which I can upload pics TO, but don't know how to access these pics FROM!) Ride quality - good if you like a VERY beefy tone going through the entire cabin, air waves deep enough to rattle your eardrums going thru the 2000 RPM mark when shifting up. I think I might have to put the silencers into my canon's, see if this makes a bit of a difference. I don't think it will do the engine much good though, as this will create a bit of back-pressure. The 500hp fuel pump buzzes away as you're cruising along and the fuel gauge drops accordingly. Embarassed I might have to decrease the fuel pressure on the regulator for cruising around town. Rolling Eyes

What I DO NEED.... an A'PEXi Power AFC designed for the ST205. I know there are people that sell these at good prices, but I want to find out WHO and WHERE (and maybe a phone # as well, might be useful) Smile The standard 3S-GTE ECU has been Blitz Access chipped from Japan and came with the front-cut when I bought it, which alters the fuel and the ignition curves. This is unmodifiable. I need to get this beastie on the rollers ASAP to get it dyno-tuned, but I can't do it with this ECU in there. No No No This will undoubtedly be my next purchase.

Thanks for the good feedback Stu... you coming to Sydney to see it in the 1st Toymods Show 'n' Shine event in October?

Cheers. Wink
  Send a private message to this user    
StuC
Forums Junkie

December 2003
Re: Andrew's 1999 RAV4/GT-Four Hybrid Project... Wed, 18 August 2004 00:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mate, i wish i could come to Sydney for that - a)work weekend at one job b)work nights at another c)uni 5 days a week d)Girlfriend...there goes all my spare time plus i dont wanna come to some huge event until my cars finished ....that wont be until early enxt year which kinda sux

Sounds like ur nearly there, so good luck findin that ECU keep us posted. Congrats again on such an awesome ride mate
ae86slaver
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: Andrew's 1999 RAV4/GT-Four Hybrid Project... Thu, 19 August 2004 01:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Andrew, I've finally had a chance to read up about your car and i must say.....WELL DONE

It's great to see such a unique project, and the time and $$ you have put into it is just mind blowing

I guess you can relate to me in being so passionate about the car, and from what i can see there just seems to be so much put into it, and definately it has paid off.

Hope to see you one day at work (before we move location) and also hope you will take me for a spin as i would love to feel this thing being boosted.

As for the Apexi AFC, my mate bought a unit for his Type R, (V-AFC) - for a good price at Mu Secret in Rockdale. They are a small business dealing with any import goods, I'll get a you a contact when i speak to him.

nice work man! Very Happy
Bugman
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Andrew's 1999 RAV4/GT-Four Hybrid Project... Thu, 19 August 2004 03:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
is it engineered yet?
RAV-GT4
Forums Junkie

Toymods member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Andrew's 1999 RAV4/GT-Four Hybrid Project... Thu, 19 August 2004 10:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for hooking up with us this afternoon Des. I appreciate you getting us this contact too. Wink

Bugman - nope, that's next... after I get the ECU replaced and the car dyno-tuned. Nod
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: Andrew's 1999 RAV4/GT-Four Hybrid Project... Thu, 19 August 2004 14:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RAV-GT4 wrote on Tue, 17 August 2004 23:43

So we fixed this up temporarily and early on today I took it back to Chris's place to get a couple of clamps fitted up to it.

Didn't you like the fluro yellow cable ties we whacked on your cooler? Twisted Evil

Quite an impressive conversion I must say though... you've spent a lot of time and probably money too on cleaning up the engine. The oil cooler was about the only part of the car I saw that didn't have some sort of colour coding.

I also have to ask what did do to get the valve cover so bling bling... mines still front cut fresh and I feel kind of guilty after seeing your engine.
RAV-GT4
Forums Junkie

Toymods member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Andrew's 1999 RAV4/GT-Four Hybrid Project... Thu, 19 August 2004 22:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hehehe... {chant} "Toobs likes the Bling-Bling".. Laughing

First up, I took it to Chris's place to find out exactly where the oil leak was coming from. It was definitely coming from the oil cooler, thus my yellow "bling-bling" cable ties (that came as standard with the friggin' toolkit I might add Evil or Very Mad). It's still leaking a bit even though those hoses have been clamped up. Where the leak is coming from this time I'm not quite certain... looks more towards the rear of the gearbox. It's not pissing out anywhere near as much oil as before, but then it might not have that much left to piss out either. Embarassed I checked the inspection hole on Wednesday to see how much was still in there, and I'm buggered if I can get my finger in there to find out. How did you manage to tell the level of the gearbox oil Toobs?

Also, I took my rocker cover and turbo housing to Ultimate Shine in Liverpool. Did a great job on them too. I got mine shined up for "show-shine" (more expensive) which involves getting it linished and polished up. If I'd have known that the top-mount intercooler was going to cover up most of the rocker cover, I might have gone for a slightly lesser degree of polishing. Rolling Eyes
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: Andrew's 1999 RAV4/GT-Four Hybrid Project... Sat, 21 August 2004 06:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RAV-GT4 wrote on Fri, 20 August 2004 08:38

How did you manage to tell the level of the gearbox oil Toobs?

It wasn't really necessary seeing as your nudge bar had at least 1-2ltrs spilled on it.

Normally you can stick your pinky in the filler hole.

I would recommend you drain it and re-fill it when you've fixed the leaks because it currently has Gulf Western Ultra Clear 80W-90 mixed with an unknown gearbox oil that you had in there before.
Should take about 4.8-5ltrs to fill according to the manual.
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Andrew's 1999 RAV4/GT-Four Hybrid Project... Sat, 21 August 2004 09:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Andrew - may need a few tips on " blinging it up " in the engine bay in the near future Wink

keep an eye out on the " drama unfolds " in my members rides section ..
RAV-GT4
Forums Junkie

Toymods member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Andrew's 1999 RAV4/GT-Four Hybrid Project... Mon, 23 August 2004 07:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Toobs, the gear oil I had in there before was Castrol EPX 85/90. Found where the secondary leak is coming from, it's the axle seal. Apparently this one doesn't quite fit properly, but it doesn't leak that much oil either. Use the pinky finger to test the oil level? Ye of small-ish fingers... I can't even get my pinky in there to test it! Shocked All I can feel is the thread of the hole. Toyota has a listing for the ST205 front-left axle seal at about 20-something dollars trade price. I'll be getting another one of these soon to see if it aids in the cure of the problem. For the most part, the problem is in the fact that my front left driveshaft is still a RAV4 unit, not an ST205 product. I might need some help from anyone who can assist in this area. I already contacted Andrew Vibert in Shepparton, and evidently he's never had an ST205 gearbox or parts of the drivetrain come through his shop.

Stu, I can help you bling up the engine if you need advice there, like shining things up, colour-coding, etc. Very Happy No worries... you want bling, I got just the thing! Laughing

I'm about to put down a deposit on an AP Engineering ST205 (plug 'n' pray) ECU. This will come complete with the hand controller as well, but is a special order from Japan, and will take a couple of weeks to get here. In case you're wondering, AP Engineering is the R&D arm of A'PEXi. Apparently you can't get a plug 'n' play "Power-FC" ECU for the ST205, and instead it has to be an AP Engineering product. Smile
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: Andrew's 1999 RAV4/GT-Four Hybrid Project... Fri, 27 August 2004 03:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RAV-GT4 wrote on Mon, 23 August 2004 17:26

Toobs, the gear oil I had in there before was Castrol EPX 85/90. Found where the secondary leak is coming from, it's the axle seal. Apparently this one doesn't quite fit properly, but it doesn't leak that much oil either. Use the pinky finger to test the oil level? Ye of small-ish fingers... I can't even get my pinky in there to test it! Shocked All I can feel is the thread of the hole. Toyota has a listing for the ST205 front-left axle seal at about 20-something dollars trade price. I'll be getting another one of these soon to see if it aids in the cure of the problem. For the most part, the problem is in the fact that my front left driveshaft is still a RAV4 unit, not an ST205 product. I might need some help from anyone who can assist in this area. I already contacted Andrew Vibert in Shepparton, and evidently he's never had an ST205 gearbox or parts of the drivetrain come through his shop.

Stu, I can help you bling up the engine if you need advice there, like shining things up, colour-coding, etc. Very Happy No worries... you want bling, I got just the thing! Laughing

I'm about to put down a deposit on an AP Engineering ST205 (plug 'n' pray) ECU. This will come complete with the hand controller as well, but is a special order from Japan, and will take a couple of weeks to get here. In case you're wondering, AP Engineering is the R&D arm of A'PEXi. Apparently you can't get a plug 'n' play "Power-FC" ECU for the ST205, and instead it has to be an AP Engineering product. Smile

I happen to have a front left driveshaft for an ST205 Very Happy
but it is probably just the seal... you've got to be careful not to damage these when removing the driveshaft, but then at $20 might as well break them and replace them
RAV-GT4
Forums Junkie

Toymods member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Andrew's 1999 RAV4/GT-Four Hybrid Project... Sat, 28 August 2004 00:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dude, I'll be round there this afternoon!! Very Happy Gotta make a pit-stop to Toyota first though. Axle seal is a-waitin'...
joorsh
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: Andrew's 1999 RAV4/GT-Four Hybrid Project... Sat, 28 August 2004 00:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Be careful with the engineering and the ECU. If I were you I'd get it engineered and THEN put in the ECU. Every engineer I've spoken to in NSW flat out refuses to engineer cars with aftermarket tuneable ecu's...simply because people tune them lean for fuel economy just to get past engineering, and then go home and make them into petrol-guzzling high-powered monsters Smile

Too many of them have been bitten, so now none will engineer an ecu! I had my car engineered 2 days ago (yay!) so I know the hassle you have to go through.

-J-
RAV-GT4
Forums Junkie

Toymods member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Andrew's 1999 RAV4/GT-Four Hybrid Project... Sat, 28 August 2004 01:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I wonder how they will go with a Jap-spec ECU getting 'engineered'? Surely they must know that these ECU's that are unmodifiable from Japan using Blitz chips and such are tuned for 100-octane and guzzle the juice anyway.

I have a way around engineering... (kind of doing it by proxy). My mate lists the modifications done on the car and an RTA dude signs off on it. I think that's how it's done. I get the paperwork on it and it's all sweet. Very Happy
Singlecam
Regular

May 2002
Re: Andrew's 1999 RAV4/GT-Four Hybrid Project... Sun, 29 August 2004 04:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message

A big fat thankyou and mega-props to Toobs and Timmy for accommodating my car's needs at a short-notice. Nod

No worries man, always happy to help. Next time stupid me is gunna change out of his favourite pants into some work clothes so i don't ruin them.

Anyone know how to get gearbox oil stains out?
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: Andrew's 1999 RAV4/GT-Four Hybrid Project... Mon, 30 August 2004 23:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Singlecam wrote on Sun, 29 August 2004 14:23

A big fat thankyou and mega-props to Toobs and Timmy for accommodating my car's needs at a short-notice. Nod

No worries man, always happy to help. Next time stupid me is gunna change out of his favourite pants into some work clothes so i don't ruin them.

Anyone know how to get gearbox oil stains out?

Are those tracky daks your favourite pants you bumpkin?
And you don't get the gearbox stains out you just add more to blend them in!
RAV-GT4
Forums Junkie

Toymods member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Andrew's 1999 RAV4/GT-Four Hybrid Project... Tue, 31 August 2004 14:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Got some more gear coming up soon from GFB (Go Fast Bits), including underdrive pulley and boost controller. Very Happy The boost controller is a most welcome addition and will be hooked up in conjunction with the new ECU when it arrives. The underdrive pulley kit I'm a bit dubious about, as it's made for MR-2's not GT-Four's. Confused Don't know what issues I'd be likely to face with this mod, I just hope it fits up ok. Nod Underdrive pulley kit for a turbo car can be good for about 5-7 extra kw.
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: Andrew's 1999 RAV4/GT-Four Hybrid Project... Tue, 31 August 2004 22:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RAV-GT4 wrote on Wed, 01 September 2004 00:48

The underdrive pulley kit I'm a bit dubious about, as it's made for MR-2's not GT-Four's. Confused Don't know what issues I'd be likely to face with this mod, I just hope it fits up ok. Nod Underdrive pulley kit for a turbo car can be good for about 5-7 extra kw.

Save your money and spend it on something that WILL get you more power.

Good to see it is coming along well.
RAV-GT4
Forums Junkie

Toymods member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Andrew's 1999 RAV4/GT-Four Hybrid Project... Wed, 01 September 2004 09:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bbaacchhyy wrote on Wed, 01 September 2004 08:08

Save your money and spend it on something that WILL get you more power.

This one's on GFB. Wink
RAV-GT4
Forums Junkie

Toymods member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Andrew's 1999 RAV4/GT-Four Hybrid Project... Thu, 02 September 2004 22:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
*pout* I WANT MY ECU.... Sad

Can't believe I'm only getting about 320km per tank (avg.) although it's really not to be unexpected I guess considering the ECU in there now is making it GUZZLE.. Such a good feeling to drive though. Once you got your foot down, it's VERY hard to take it off the juice pedal. Hmmm.. this could have something to do with my fuel too --- nah!! Very Happy
RAV-GT4
Forums Junkie

Toymods member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Andrew's 1999 RAV4/GT-Four Hybrid Project... Tue, 07 September 2004 06:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
STILL waiting no ECU to come from Japan. Rolling Eyes

Oh well, I'm getting the damage to the rear end fixed up soon, and just in time for the Show n Shine in October. Wink There's about $3700 in damage to the rear end (parts, paint, labour, booth-time, etc.) to get the rear end fixed up. It will be a new rear and glass mould, while retaining the original glass. The beaver panel copped a whack too, so that will be bashed out / replaced. Let's hope this bugger isn't off the road for too long - I ONLY JUST GOT IT BACK! Sad Might have to see what can be done about the left-front guard as well, while I'm in repair-mode... Confused
pr1nce
Regular

April 2004
Re: Andrew's 1999 RAV4/GT-Four Hybrid Project... Wed, 08 September 2004 00:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what happened to your car?

how did it get damaged?
RAV-GT4
Forums Junkie

Toymods member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Andrew's 1999 RAV4/GT-Four Hybrid Project... Wed, 08 September 2004 03:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
This was months ago, before I got the conversion done...

Going along Concord Rd at Rhodes, I was stopped in traffic, and a lowly Honda Civic ran up my ass. She impacted the spare wheel before running into the rear facia covering the beaver panel. All the door (minus the spare wheel and wheel carrier) has to be replaced. Shocked And not only replaced but resprayed and fitted as well, adding to costs. There's a lot of bullshit that goes along with this story, like the assessors trying to get quotes off me when I didn't even have the car (it was in getting the conversion done), etc. Finally yesterday morning, after I'd obtained three quotes to repair the damage, someone from AllStates Assessors came out and evaluated the damage to be repaired. It'll be taken to a friend of mine down the road who has a RAV4 of his own, and has done all the paint-work and repairs on his ride himself. I don't know how long it will be off the road for but I'm hoping not for too long.

The negligent driver of the Civic now has a bonnet of her's to repair (with a nice deep imprint of my spare tyre in it Razz), and was interviewed by the police and charged with one count of "failure to exchange particulars after an accident", and one count of "neg driving". She's now a considerable bit lighter in the purse region, and a few points shy on her licence too.
Joshstix
Forums Junkie

Toymods Vice President

May 2002
Re: Andrew's 1999 RAV4/GT-Four Hybrid Project... Wed, 08 September 2004 10:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RAV-GT4 wrote on Wed, 01 September 2004 00:48

Got some more gear coming up soon from GFB (Go Fast Bits), including underdrive pulley and boost controller. Very Happy The boost controller is a most welcome addition and will be hooked up in conjunction with the new ECU when it arrives. The underdrive pulley kit I'm a bit dubious about, as it's made for MR-2's not GT-Four's. Confused Don't know what issues I'd be likely to face with this mod, I just hope it fits up ok. Nod Underdrive pulley kit for a turbo car can be good for about 5-7 extra kw.

The crank pulley for the MR2 is very different to the GT4 version.

The MR2 has two 4 rib belts that have the same size hub on the crank pulley. The GT4 has a 5 rib belt for the alternator and a very small diameter inner 3 belt track for the power steering pump. If you aren't using the power steer you can just get a 4 rib belt the correct length and use it with the GT4 alternator, that's what I'm doing currently.
RAV-GT4
Forums Junkie

Toymods member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Andrew's 1999 RAV4/GT-Four Hybrid Project... Wed, 08 September 2004 11:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok let me get this straight - I'll need a 4-rib alternator belt designed for the MR-2 to replace the standard 5-rib one that is currently there for the GT-Four's alternator... and the GFB pulley should be right to fit up? Smile
Joshstix
Forums Junkie

Toymods Vice President

May 2002
Re: Andrew's 1999 RAV4/GT-Four Hybrid Project... Thu, 09 September 2004 01:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The MR2 4 rib belt won't work because the MR2 has the alternator mounted low on the back of the engine rather than up high on the front. For mine I just measured the length needed and went to repco and asked for a 4 rib belt of the correct length.

Are you not using power steering?
RAV-GT4
Forums Junkie

Toymods member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Andrew's 1999 RAV4/GT-Four Hybrid Project... Thu, 09 September 2004 06:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok, I just went out to have a look at the belt/pulley config for the 3S-GTE I have. I didn't know the power steering pump pulley (or Vane Pump pulley as Toyota calls it) was attached physically to the crank pulley. Shocked There's only one vee-belt on the inside of the main 5-groove crank pulley. So I guess this underdrive pulley probably won't work on mine then? Confused
RAV-GT4
Forums Junkie

Toymods member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Andrew's 1999 RAV4/GT-Four Hybrid Project... Sat, 11 September 2004 05:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Got the ST205 front half-shafts fitted up today. The standard RAV4 ones were working ok, but the left shaft didn't fit up all the way inside the gearbox. It fitted correctly, but the seal for the GT-Four's left half shaft showed me why the RAV4 half shaft would fit all the way in. Physically the GT-Four's shaft is about 10mm longer, and about ½" thicker than the standard RAV4's.

I looked at the damage inside the CV section of the left driveshaft and noticed that it was wearing faster than normal so I decided to change over both shafts (even though the right one wasn't leaking and fitted up ok). RAV4 driveshafts just weren't meant to take the turbocharged action that a GT-Four engine can deliver. Put these shafts side-by-side and the GT-Four shafts shits all over the RAV4 shaft.

I feel a bit better now that I know the ENTIRE drivetrain is GT-Four (combined ST185 and ST205). Very Happy
RAV-GT4
Forums Junkie

Toymods member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Andrew's 1999 RAV4/GT-Four Hybrid Project... Tue, 14 September 2004 00:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The RAV goes into the repair shop tomorrow, it's all arranged. In the meantime I'll be putting around in a Corolla (not sure which one yet)... Rolling Eyes
RAV-GT4
Forums Junkie

Toymods member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Andrew's 1999 RAV4/GT-Four Hybrid Project... Thu, 16 September 2004 13:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Looks like I'll be rocking up to the next meet (September) in a white AE92(?) Corolla Seca. Razz I hate bloody auto's.... work has started on the repair of the rear end, and the new rear door arrived the same day that my car got in there. Shocked
RAV-GT4
Forums Junkie

Toymods member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

icon4.gif  Re: Andrew's 1999 RAV4/GT-Four Hybrid Project... Tue, 21 September 2004 12:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok I've been really lax about getting pictures of this conversion and everything else involved up onto the site, so we'll start with Part I:

ST205 Front Cut!

(A warning to some GT-Four purists among us that the following pics may offend....) Shocked

http://216.69.129.37/rav4oz/PublicDownloads/andrew/Front-cut/fcjj.jpg
The front cut as it was bought at Just Jap here in Kirrawee.

http://216.69.129.37/rav4oz/PublicDownloads/andrew/Front-cut/smashedup.jpg
Hmmm, no sump...

http://216.69.129.37/rav4oz/PublicDownloads/andrew/Front-cut/enginemount.jpg
I think this was supposed to be an engine mount...

http://216.69.129.37/rav4oz/PublicDownloads/andrew/Front-cut/turbo.jpg
No stampings on the casting of this turbo, like there usually is next to the TOYOTA imprint.

http://216.69.129.37/rav4oz/PublicDownloads/andrew/Front-cut/ST205brakes.jpg
And the big-ass front brakes, still covered in dirt ("rally-style").

http://216.69.129.37/rav4oz/PublicDownloads/andrew/Front-cut/valvecover.jpg
The rocker cover with leak-down test results still written for each cylinder... failed, miserably.

http://216.69.129.37/rav4oz/PublicDownloads/andrew/Front-cut/fc0.jpg
Transported from Just Jap to a "friend-of-a-friend's" house to get rebuilt.

http://216.69.129.37/rav4oz/PublicDownloads/andrew/Front-cut/blockcracks.jpg
A closer inspection of the old ST205 block revealed at least two large cracks.

http://216.69.129.37/rav4oz/PublicDownloads/andrew/Front-cut/endcap.jpg
Another part of the impact took out a sizeable chunk of the gearbox end-cap, but the gearing was still good.

http://216.69.129.37/rav4oz/PublicDownloads/andrew/Front-cut/outputshaft.jpg
The output shaft is in this mess... somewhere.

Continued next post...

[Updated on: Thu, 14 July 2005 07:25]

RAV-GT4
Forums Junkie

Toymods member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Andrew's 1999 RAV4/GT-Four Hybrid Project... Tue, 21 September 2004 12:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://216.69.129.37/rav4oz/PublicDownloads/andrew/Front-cut/throttlebody.jpg
Nice diameter on the runners.

http://216.69.129.37/rav4oz/PublicDownloads/andrew/Front-cut/gearing0.jpg
After removing the end-cap, we see how the gearing is setup.

http://216.69.129.37/rav4oz/PublicDownloads/andrew/Front-cut/gearing1.jpg
Another take on the gearing.

http://216.69.129.37/rav4oz/PublicDownloads/andrew/Front-cut/clutchfly.jpg
The old clutch and flywheel.

http://216.69.129.37/rav4oz/PublicDownloads/andrew/Front-cut/dirtyhead0.jpg
The head after it was removed from the block... ugh.

http://216.69.129.37/rav4oz/PublicDownloads/andrew/Front-cut/dirtyhead1.jpg
She's in need of some reconditioning.

http://216.69.129.37/rav4oz/PublicDownloads/andrew/Front-cut/cams.jpg
The stock cams, setup for racing.

http://216.69.129.37/rav4oz/PublicDownloads/andrew/Front-cut/stockinternals.jpg
We think these were the stock internals, but can't be sure.

http://216.69.129.37/rav4oz/PublicDownloads/andrew/Front-cut/runninglean.jpg
How lean was this engine running before??

http://216.69.129.37/rav4oz/PublicDownloads/andrew/Front-cut/chippedECU.jpg
The factory computer had been Blitz Access chipped, which meant a modified fuel curve and modified ignition curve also. Supposed to be running on Japanese fuel (100RON), it sucks down Optimax like it's going out of fashion.

Continued next post...

[Updated on: Thu, 14 July 2005 07:28]

RAV-GT4
Forums Junkie

Toymods member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Andrew's 1999 RAV4/GT-Four Hybrid Project... Tue, 21 September 2004 13:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://216.69.129.37/rav4oz/PublicDownloads/andrew/Front-cut/tmicblack.jpg
The top-mount water-to-air intercooler in stock trim.

http://216.69.129.37/rav4oz/PublicDownloads/andrew/Front-cut/3SGTEwiring0.jpg
A standard 3S-GTE wiring loom, spanning close to the length of a garage.

http://216.69.129.37/rav4oz/PublicDownloads/andrew/Front-cut/3SGTEwiring1.jpg
I'm sure there's a simpler way to wire up a car?

http://216.69.129.37/rav4oz/PublicDownloads/andrew/Front-cut/turboassy.jpg
The standard exhaust manifold, turbo and dump-pipe from the ST205. Later we had some fitment issues with this dump-pipe.

http://216.69.129.37/rav4oz/PublicDownloads/andrew/Front-cut/bigdump.jpg
The standard outlet from the dump-pipe of the ST205 - somewhere in the order of 4" in diameter.

Ok, the front cut had been ripped to pieces and everything pertinent to the success of refitting it into my RAV4 was salvaged and/or renewed as needed.

Continued next post...

[Updated on: Thu, 14 July 2005 07:29]

RAV-GT4
Forums Junkie

Toymods member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Andrew's 1999 RAV4/GT-Four Hybrid Project... Tue, 21 September 2004 13:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Part II:

The Rebuild!

I bought a complete internals kit from a mate for rebuilding the ST205 engine from scratch. Included were Arias pistons, Eagle rods, complete ARP bolt/stud kits and a FelPro gasket kit.

http://216.69.129.37/rav4oz/PublicDownloads/andrew/Rebuild Parts/Arias pistons_rings.JPG

http://216.69.129.37/rav4oz/PublicDownloads/andrew/Rebuild Parts/Forged piston.JPG

http://216.69.129.37/rav4oz/PublicDownloads/andrew/Rebuild Parts/Eagle H-beam forged conrod.JPG

http://216.69.129.37/rav4oz/PublicDownloads/andrew/Rebuild Parts/Piston_Rod.JPG

http://216.69.129.37/rav4oz/PublicDownloads/andrew/Rebuild Parts/ARP flywheel bolts.JPG

http://216.69.129.37/rav4oz/PublicDownloads/andrew/Rebuild Parts/ARP stud kits.JPG

http://216.69.129.37/rav4oz/PublicDownloads/andrew/Rebuild Parts/ARP stud kits 2.JPG

http://216.69.129.37/rav4oz/PublicDownloads/andrew/Rebuild Parts/Rebuild Kit.JPG

http://216.69.129.37/rav4oz/PublicDownloads/andrew/Rebuild Parts/Gasket kit.JPG

Continued next post...

[Updated on: Thu, 14 July 2005 07:30]

RAV-GT4
Forums Junkie

Toymods member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Andrew's 1999 RAV4/GT-Four Hybrid Project... Tue, 21 September 2004 14:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://216.69.129.37/rav4oz/PublicDownloads/andrew/3S-GTE engine/Engine Parts/workedblock.jpg

http://216.69.129.37/rav4oz/PublicDownloads/andrew/3S-GTE engine/Engine Parts/blockside.jpg
I bought a second-hand ST185 block which was in fairly good shape, but needed a bit of work. I sent it off to Dominator to get decked and bored.

http://216.69.129.37/rav4oz/PublicDownloads/andrew/3S-GTE engine/Engine Parts/crosshash.jpg
Nice cross-hashing in the cylinder bores...

http://216.69.129.37/rav4oz/PublicDownloads/andrew/3S-GTE engine/Engine Parts/linishedcrank.jpg
Dominator also re-balanced and linished the crank. Naturally, the balancing was done with the clutch and flywheel.

http://216.69.129.37/rav4oz/PublicDownloads/andrew/3S-GTE engine/Engine Parts/newclutch.jpg
The new clutch placed on top of the machined flywheel.

http://216.69.129.37/rav4oz/PublicDownloads/andrew/3S-GTE engine/Engine Parts/newinternals.jpg
The engine was bolted onto the stand for it's rebuilding phase. Here, the pistons, rings, crank, rods and bearings (and a decent dose of oil) came together to make up the guts of the beast.

http://216.69.129.37/rav4oz/PublicDownloads/andrew/3S-GTE engine/Engine Parts/pistonsinst.jpg
How the pistons look from the head's point of view.

http://216.69.129.37/rav4oz/PublicDownloads/andrew/3S-GTE engine/Engine Parts/paintedblock.jpg
At this point the block was given it's VHT Lightning Blue treatment... several times over.

http://216.69.129.37/rav4oz/PublicDownloads/andrew/3S-GTE engine/Engine Parts/ARPstuds.jpg
The main studs were fitted up...

http://216.69.129.37/rav4oz/PublicDownloads/andrew/3S-GTE engine/Engine Parts/blockgear.jpg
All the assorted gear for the block was fitted up as needed.

Continued next post...

[Updated on: Thu, 14 July 2005 07:34]

RAV-GT4
Forums Junkie

Toymods member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Andrew's 1999 RAV4/GT-Four Hybrid Project... Tue, 21 September 2004 14:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://216.69.129.37/rav4oz/PublicDownloads/andrew/3S-GTE engine/Engine Parts/blockassy0.jpg

http://216.69.129.37/rav4oz/PublicDownloads/andrew/3S-GTE engine/Engine Parts/blockassy1.jpg
All-new welsh plugs were fitted up.

http://216.69.129.37/rav4oz/PublicDownloads/andrew/3S-GTE engine/Engine Parts/sumpassy.jpg
The sump was ready to be attached to the block. The sump assembly and the pan both had to come from Japan.

http://216.69.129.37/rav4oz/PublicDownloads/andrew/3S-GTE engine/Engine Parts/newsump.jpg
The sump assembly fitted up.

http://216.69.129.37/rav4oz/PublicDownloads/andrew/3S-GTE engine/Engine Parts/turboexh.jpg
Inside the turbo's exhaust housing - twin 20mm internal wastegates. Because of the constrictiveness of the big-ass ST205 dump-pipe going into a smaller area (my RAV4's engine bay), we decided to leave this option open for ideas. Tried custom-making a reducer for a 3" exhaust system, but the dump-pipe still wouldn't fit up right.

http://216.69.129.37/rav4oz/PublicDownloads/andrew/3S-GTE engine/Engine Parts/workedhead.jpg
The head was sent away to SuperFlow for the treatment. Shim-under-bucket construction meant this sucker wasn't going to be cheap to recondition, but the results speak for themselves.

http://216.69.129.37/rav4oz/PublicDownloads/andrew/3S-GTE engine/Engine Parts/cleanvalves.jpg
Looking heaps cleaner inside.

http://216.69.129.37/rav4oz/PublicDownloads/andrew/3S-GTE engine/Engine Parts/camgears0.jpg
Cams were reinstalled...

http://216.69.129.37/rav4oz/PublicDownloads/andrew/3S-GTE engine/Engine Parts/insidecams.jpg
A much cleaner head assembled and ready to bolt back on.

[Updated on: Thu, 14 July 2005 07:37]

RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: Andrew's 1999 RAV4/GT-Four Hybrid Project... Tue, 21 September 2004 14:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wow dude that is amazing

I didn't know your 1/2 cut was so messed up! man..

well cool to see the progress pix mate
RAV-GT4
Forums Junkie

Toymods member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Andrew's 1999 RAV4/GT-Four Hybrid Project... Tue, 21 September 2004 14:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://216.69.129.37/rav4oz/PublicDownloads/andrew/3S-GTE engine/Engine Parts/polishedvalvecover.jpg
I had the valve cover polished up by Ultimate Shine in Liverpool. These guys did a top job on this cover.

http://216.69.129.37/rav4oz/PublicDownloads/andrew/3S-GTE engine/Engine Parts/paintedtmic0.jpg

http://216.69.129.37/rav4oz/PublicDownloads/andrew/3S-GTE engine/Engine Parts/paintedtmic1.jpg
I had the top-mount intercooler stripped, cleaned, prepped and painted in the same Royal Plum pearl that I have on many exterior parts.

http://216.69.129.37/rav4oz/PublicDownloads/andrew/3S-GTE engine/Engine Parts/valvecover_tmic.jpg
These two components took a little longer to have ready than I'd bargained for, but a top result made up for it.

http://216.69.129.37/rav4oz/PublicDownloads/andrew/3S-GTE engine/Engine Parts/valvecover.jpg
The valve cover fitted up.

http://216.69.129.37/rav4oz/PublicDownloads/andrew/3S-GTE engine/Engine Parts/engineassy0.jpg

http://216.69.129.37/rav4oz/PublicDownloads/andrew/3S-GTE engine/Engine Parts/engineassy1.jpg

http://216.69.129.37/rav4oz/PublicDownloads/andrew/3S-GTE engine/Engine Parts/engineassy2.jpg

http://216.69.129.37/rav4oz/PublicDownloads/andrew/3S-GTE engine/Engine Parts/engineassy3.jpg

http://216.69.129.37/rav4oz/PublicDownloads/andrew/3S-GTE engine/Engine Parts/camgears1.jpg
The block, head & cams, and valve cover all assembled.

Continued next post...

[Updated on: Thu, 14 July 2005 07:39]

RAV-GT4
Forums Junkie

Toymods member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Andrew's 1999 RAV4/GT-Four Hybrid Project... Tue, 21 September 2004 15:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://216.69.129.37/rav4oz/PublicDownloads/andrew/3S-GTE engine/Engine Parts/assembly0.jpg

http://216.69.129.37/rav4oz/PublicDownloads/andrew/3S-GTE engine/Engine Parts/assembly1.jpg

http://216.69.129.37/rav4oz/PublicDownloads/andrew/3S-GTE engine/Engine Parts/assembly2.jpg

http://216.69.129.37/rav4oz/PublicDownloads/andrew/3S-GTE engine/Engine Parts/assembly3.jpg
The other assorted goodies like timing belt, TRD thermostat, polished thermostat cover (more bling), polished turbo compressor cover (bigger bling), dizzy, leads, etc. were fitted up and almost ready to drop into the RAV4's engine bay.

http://216.69.129.37/rav4oz/PublicDownloads/andrew/3S-GTE engine/Engine Parts/inletgasket.jpg
Single-thickness TRD metal inlet gasket.

http://216.69.129.37/rav4oz/PublicDownloads/andrew/3S-GTE engine/Engine Parts/exhgasket.jpg
A similar construction to the head gasket is the quad-layer exhaust gasket (stainless).

http://216.69.129.37/rav4oz/PublicDownloads/andrew/3S-GTE engine/Engine Parts/GFBBOV0.jpg

http://216.69.129.37/rav4oz/PublicDownloads/andrew/3S-GTE engine/Engine Parts/GFBBOV1.jpg

http://216.69.129.37/rav4oz/PublicDownloads/andrew/3S-GTE engine/Engine Parts/GFBBOV2.jpg

http://216.69.129.37/rav4oz/PublicDownloads/andrew/3S-GTE engine/Engine Parts/stealthfx.jpg
One of the many goodies I got to compliment the conversion was the GoFastBits Stealth FX adjustable hybrid blow-off valve. This can be manually adjusted with your hand, with 16 different positions to choose from the ratchet-style turning action lets you choose between plumb-back, full atmospheric or both.

Continued next post...

[Updated on: Thu, 14 July 2005 07:41]

EvilJack
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

September 2002

Re: Andrew's 1999 RAV4/GT-Four Hybrid Project... (22/9/04 - MAJOR pic update) Wed, 22 September 2004 00:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://www.classic-celica.com/albums/misc/ttiwwp.gif

Nice collection, could make a nice coffee and come back and just in time for the last pic to finish loading Razz
RAV-GT4
Forums Junkie

Toymods member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Andrew's 1999 RAV4/GT-Four Hybrid Project... (22/9/04 - MAJOR pic update) Wed, 22 September 2004 00:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I thoroughly agree, but you ain't seen the best of it yet. I was going to sleep at the computer last night so I packed it in about 1/3rd the way through... there's heaps more coming up later tonight. Wink Better get have that coffee at the ready and go forget to load it up with plenty of stamina! Razz

[Updated on: Wed, 22 September 2004 00:38]

RAV-GT4
Forums Junkie

Toymods member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Andrew's 1999 RAV4/GT-Four Hybrid Project... (22/9/04 - MAJOR pic update) Wed, 22 September 2004 14:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://216.69.129.37/rav4oz/PublicDownloads/andrew/3S-GTE engine/Fitting/BOVfit0.jpg

http://216.69.129.37/rav4oz/PublicDownloads/andrew/3S-GTE engine/Fitting/BOVfit1.jpg
The BOV fitted up to the intercooler, where on Australian model ST205 units there's an anti-lag device in place there instead. Gary Georgiou's GT-Four is a classic example of this.

http://216.69.129.37/rav4oz/PublicDownloads/andrew/3S-GTE engine/Fitting/comp_wastegate.JPG
THe exhaust-side of the turbo, and a better view of the internal wastegates and flap.

http://216.69.129.37/rav4oz/PublicDownloads/andrew/3S-GTE engine/Fitting/CT20B.JPG
Up-close and personal with a blinged-up turbo (before it was rebuilt).

http://216.69.129.37/rav4oz/PublicDownloads/andrew/3S-GTE engine/Fitting/exhmanifold.jpg
One day I'll get around to doing this manifold with a good go of HPC. For now it's black.

http://216.69.129.37/rav4oz/PublicDownloads/andrew/3S-GTE engine/Fitting/ic fit1.JPG

http://216.69.129.37/rav4oz/PublicDownloads/andrew/3S-GTE engine/Fitting/ic fit2.JPG
With the intercooler on top, we could see how this was going to sit in the engine bay.

http://216.69.129.37/rav4oz/PublicDownloads/andrew/3S-GTE engine/Fitting/LSD0.jpg

http://216.69.129.37/rav4oz/PublicDownloads/andrew/3S-GTE engine/Fitting/LSD1.jpg
The ST185 GrpA LSD got a blinging of it's own. The rear cover was taken off, given a brief linish and polish, and whatever was "rough" got the Lightning Blue VHT treatment. Came up pretty well.

http://216.69.129.37/rav4oz/PublicDownloads/andrew/3S-GTE engine/Fitting/gearbox.jpg
The ST205 gearbox as it was being painted, and waiting for the rest of the engine to hook up to be put in the engine bay.

[Updated on: Thu, 14 July 2005 06:59]

RAV-GT4
Forums Junkie

Toymods member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Andrew's 1999 RAV4/GT-Four Hybrid Project... (22/9/04 - MAJOR pic update) Wed, 22 September 2004 20:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Part III:

Fitting it into the RAV4!

http://216.69.129.37/rav4oz/PublicDownloads/andrew/3S-GTE engine/Fitting/tmic.jpg

http://216.69.129.37/rav4oz/PublicDownloads/andrew/3S-GTE engine/Fitting/ST205fit0.jpg

http://216.69.129.37/rav4oz/PublicDownloads/andrew/3S-GTE engine/Fitting/trialfit1.jpg
The new engine dropped in easily, on the stock RAV4 mounts. No issues with gearbox fitment or location either.

http://216.69.129.37/rav4oz/PublicDownloads/andrew/3S-GTE engine/Fitting/thermtfer0.jpg

http://216.69.129.37/rav4oz/PublicDownloads/andrew/3S-GTE engine/Fitting/thermtfer1.jpg
The thermal transfer unit fitted up with no issues, other than brackets that had to be custom-made to fit the mounts at the front, and the location of the intercooler pump was right in the path of the old ram-duct install I had with the 3S-FE setup.

http://216.69.129.37/rav4oz/PublicDownloads/andrew/3S-GTE engine/Fitting/trialfit0.jpg

http://216.69.129.37/rav4oz/PublicDownloads/andrew/3S-GTE engine/Fitting/hstrial0.jpg

http://216.69.129.37/rav4oz/PublicDownloads/andrew/3S-GTE engine/Fitting/hstrial1.jpg
We tried to get the heatshield that worked so well with the 3S-FE engine setup to work just as well here, but the new engine setup and the air intake tube meant there was no lovin' to be had here. It was a tight squeeze at best, so we decided to leave this out.

http://216.69.129.37/rav4oz/PublicDownloads/andrew/3S-GTE engine/Fitting/12Vthermofan.jpg
The thermo-fan that was in the RAV4 had to be removed, or the turbo wasn't going to sit in it's place without hitting the fan blades or the shroud. A 12V thermo fan was sourced and installed, only 1" thick compared to the other fan's 3" thickness.

Continued next post...

[Updated on: Thu, 14 July 2005 07:01]

RAV-GT4
Forums Junkie

Toymods member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Andrew's 1999 RAV4/GT-Four Hybrid Project... (22/9/04 - MAJOR pic update) Wed, 22 September 2004 21:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://216.69.129.37/rav4oz/PublicDownloads/andrew/3S-GTE engine/Fitting/trialfit2.jpg
Any issues concerning height of the new engine were soon put to rest when it was mounted up. Even the top level of the intercooler (pictured) shows that it's at least 4" down on the height of the heatshield.

http://216.69.129.37/rav4oz/PublicDownloads/andrew/3S-GTE engine/Fitting/bumpercut0.jpg

http://216.69.129.37/rav4oz/PublicDownloads/andrew/3S-GTE engine/Fitting/bumpercut1.jpg
The insides of the mould (structural joins) on the bumper were trimmed so as to allow the thermal transfer unit to sit in the front end and have the bumper fit up again without poking out.

http://216.69.129.37/rav4oz/PublicDownloads/andrew/3S-GTE engine/Fitting/alternator.jpg
3S-GTE alternator with front ducting.

http://216.69.129.37/rav4oz/PublicDownloads/andrew/3S-GTE engine/Fitting/boostgauge.jpg

http://216.69.129.37/rav4oz/PublicDownloads/andrew/3S-GTE engine/Fitting/turbotimer0.jpg

http://216.69.129.37/rav4oz/PublicDownloads/andrew/3S-GTE engine/Fitting/turbotimer1.jpg
Some goodies for inside the cabin.

http://216.69.129.37/rav4oz/PublicDownloads/andrew/3S-GTE engine/Fitting/LSDfit0.jpg

http://216.69.129.37/rav4oz/PublicDownloads/andrew/3S-GTE engine/Fitting/LSDfit1.jpg

http://216.69.129.37/rav4oz/PublicDownloads/andrew/3S-GTE engine/Fitting/LSDfit2.jpg
Lining up the LSD to be fitted in place of the old RAV4 diff.

Continued next post...

[Updated on: Thu, 14 July 2005 07:03]

RAV-GT4
Forums Junkie

Toymods member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Andrew's 1999 RAV4/GT-Four Hybrid Project... (22/9/04 - MAJOR pic update) Wed, 22 September 2004 21:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://216.69.129.37/rav4oz/PublicDownloads/andrew/3S-GTE engine/Fitting/LSDfit3.jpg
The final mounting point for the LSD. The bracket had to be modified to suit the retaining bolts for the LSD. Also fitted up were ST185 rear driveshafts - again, no fitment issues.

http://216.69.129.37/rav4oz/PublicDownloads/andrew/3S-GTE engine/Fitting/semibadged.jpg

http://216.69.129.37/rav4oz/PublicDownloads/andrew/3S-GTE engine/Fitting/tmicbadged.jpg
A little more bling for the top-mount.

http://216.69.129.37/rav4oz/PublicDownloads/andrew/New body pics/s15vent2.JPG

http://216.69.129.37/rav4oz/PublicDownloads/andrew/New body pics/s15vent1.JPG

http://216.69.129.37/rav4oz/PublicDownloads/andrew/New body pics/s15side.JPG

http://216.69.129.37/rav4oz/PublicDownloads/andrew/New body pics/s15reflection.JPG

http://216.69.129.37/rav4oz/PublicDownloads/andrew/New body pics/s15inside2.JPG

http://216.69.129.37/rav4oz/PublicDownloads/andrew/New body pics/s15front.JPG

http://216.69.129.37/rav4oz/PublicDownloads/andrew/New body pics/s15distant.JPG
I was looking for something like the GT-Four bonnet vents that wouldn't take too much modification to fit and would contour to the line of the bonnet too. I snagged an S15 Silvia vent (or 200SX) for the amount of air the vents could expel with the turbo fitted up. Asides looking a little like something from an A9X (with the screws fitted), it doesn't look too bad and it does the job nicely.

[Updated on: Thu, 14 July 2005 07:09]

alwaysRA23
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Andrew's 1999 RAV4/GT-Four Hybrid Project... (22/9/04 - MAJOR pic update) Wed, 22 September 2004 22:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
that is so sexual! i LOVE it,

Very Happy

congrats on a geat build up!
RAV-GT4
Forums Junkie

Toymods member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Andrew's 1999 RAV4/GT-Four Hybrid Project... (22/9/04 - MAJOR pic update) Thu, 23 September 2004 13:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://216.69.129.37/rav4oz/PublicDownloads/andrew/3S-GTE engine/Fitting/injectors.jpg
These are the standard 540cc injectors for the ST205. Also pictured is the old RAV4 clutch master cylinder.

The last part in the fitting process was to get the throttle body and runners into the RAV4 without hitting any existing hardware. The only obstacle we found was the clutch master cylinder which was too big for the job. A cylinder from a Suzuki Baleno was only just small enough to do the job and the throttle body and runners now sit in place nicely.

Part IV:

Exhaust!

http://216.69.129.37/rav4oz/PublicDownloads/andrew/3S-GTE engine/Exhaust/canon0.jpg http://216.69.129.37/rav4oz/PublicDownloads/andrew/3S-GTE engine/Exhaust/canon1.jpg http://216.69.129.37/rav4oz/PublicDownloads/andrew/3S-GTE engine/Exhaust/canontip.jpg
One of the X-Force 3" inlet, 4½" outlet canon mufflers, sans the silencer.

http://216.69.129.37/rav4oz/PublicDownloads/andrew/3S-GTE engine/Exhaust/hfcat.jpg http://216.69.129.37/rav4oz/PublicDownloads/andrew/3S-GTE engine/Exhaust/hfcat1.jpg
Hi-flow catalytic converter.

http://216.69.129.37/rav4oz/PublicDownloads/andrew/3S-GTE engine/Exhaust/316stainless.jpg
The 3m length of pipe custom-cut to fit each section of the system, 90° angle corners done likewise.

http://216.69.129.37/rav4oz/PublicDownloads/andrew/3S-GTE engine/Exhaust/dump0.jpg http://216.69.129.37/rav4oz/PublicDownloads/andrew/3S-GTE engine/Exhaust/dump1.jpg
The dump pipe was custom-made from a 90° 2½" bend and cut/welded to fit the turbo exhaust flange.

Continued next post...

[Updated on: Thu, 14 July 2005 07:17]

RAV-GT4
Forums Junkie

Toymods member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Andrew's 1999 RAV4/GT-Four Hybrid Project... (22/9/04 - MAJOR pic update) Thu, 23 September 2004 21:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://216.69.129.37/rav4oz/PublicDownloads/andrew/3S-GTE engine/Exhaust/dumpfitted1.jpg
The dump-pipe attached to the turbo exhaust.

http://216.69.129.37/rav4oz/PublicDownloads/andrew/3S-GTE engine/Exhaust/o2sensor.jpg
O² sensor welded into place, keeping emissions in check.

http://216.69.129.37/rav4oz/PublicDownloads/andrew/3S-GTE engine/Exhaust/exhlength1.jpg
The first section to be made up after the dump pipe was fitted up.

http://216.69.129.37/rav4oz/PublicDownloads/andrew/3S-GTE engine/Exhaust/hotdog0.jpg http://216.69.129.37/rav4oz/PublicDownloads/andrew/3S-GTE engine/Exhaust/hotdog1.jpg
Next item to be fitted was the 3" I/D (4" external) 304-grade stainless hotdog.

http://216.69.129.37/rav4oz/PublicDownloads/andrew/3S-GTE engine/Exhaust/exhrear0.jpg

http://216.69.129.37/rav4oz/PublicDownloads/andrew/3S-GTE engine/Exhaust/exhrear1.jpg
Assembling all the pipework out towards the canons.

http://216.69.129.37/rav4oz/PublicDownloads/andrew/3S-GTE engine/Exhaust/finallength.jpg
The last piece of the exhaust was the hardest to make up, consisting of many welds and direction changes, but nothing severe.

http://216.69.129.37/rav4oz/PublicDownloads/andrew/3S-GTE engine/Exhaust/leftsection.jpg
Having to go under the diff then back around to the left side meant there were at least 10 cuts and welds to be made.

http://216.69.129.37/rav4oz/PublicDownloads/andrew/3S-GTE engine/Exhaust/pipescomplete.jpg
The pipes are all assembled into 7 different sections, with a flange/gasket setup meaning that if I have to replace a muffler or hotdog etc. then it can be done without destroying the exhaust.

Continued next post...

[Updated on: Thu, 14 July 2005 07:20]

RAV-GT4
Forums Junkie

Toymods member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Andrew's 1999 RAV4/GT-Four Hybrid Project... (22/9/04 - MAJOR pic update) Thu, 23 September 2004 21:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://216.69.129.37/rav4oz/PublicDownloads/andrew/3S-GTE engine/Exhaust/canonsfitted.jpg

http://216.69.129.37/rav4oz/PublicDownloads/andrew/3S-GTE engine/Exhaust/exhalign.jpg

http://216.69.129.37/rav4oz/PublicDownloads/andrew/3S-GTE engine/Exhaust/exhcomplete.jpg

http://216.69.129.37/rav4oz/PublicDownloads/andrew/3S-GTE engine/Fitting/rearend.jpg
What the exhausts look like now, and the urethane mudflaps fitted up too.

For now, that's the shape of the conversion. Next is getting this ECU swapped over for something that's tuneable so I can get the most out of this conversion.

[Updated on: Thu, 14 July 2005 07:21]

RAV-GT4
Forums Junkie

Toymods member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Andrew's 1999 RAV4/GT-Four Hybrid Project... (22/9/04 - MAJOR pic update) Thu, 23 September 2004 21:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
UPDATE:

I got the car back from the bodyshop yesterday and it's looking great. I'll post up some more updated pics of the rear-end later tonight.
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: Andrew's 1999 RAV4/GT-Four Hybrid Project... (22/9/04 - MAJOR pic update) Fri, 24 September 2004 14:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://images.google.com.au/images?q=tbn:dP_qQEZ_SEkJ:short-stack.com/art/bling.jpg

Got Bling?
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: Andrew's 1999 RAV4/GT-Four Hybrid Project... (22/9/04 - MAJOR pic update) Fri, 24 September 2004 14:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://www.digitallyobsessed.com/cover_art1/blingbling.jpg

I look at your engine then look at mine with its galvanised looking finish and feel sad Sad

I might bust out the dremel and its polishing wheel now Embarassed
peeack
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

September 2004
Re: Andrew's 1999 RAV4/GT-Four Hybrid Project... (22/9/04 - MAJOR pic update) Fri, 24 September 2004 15:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
How's it handle on the beach? Wink Awesome car mate.
RAV-GT4
Forums Junkie

Toymods member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Andrew's 1999 RAV4/GT-Four Hybrid Project... (22/9/04 - MAJOR pic update) Sat, 25 September 2004 13:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Toobs, do let me know if you need a hand improving your ST185's bling-factor. Very Happy

Thanks for the comments guys, another update coming soon.
RAV-GT4
Forums Junkie

Toymods member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Andrew's 1999 RAV4/GT-Four Hybrid Project... (22/9/04 - MAJOR pic update) Sat, 25 September 2004 14:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://216.69.129.37/rav4oz/PublicDownloads/andrew/3S-GTE engine/After conversion/enginebay0.jpg

http://216.69.129.37/rav4oz/PublicDownloads/andrew/3S-GTE engine/After conversion/enginebay1.jpg

http://216.69.129.37/rav4oz/PublicDownloads/andrew/3S-GTE engine/After conversion/enginebay2.jpg

http://216.69.129.37/rav4oz/PublicDownloads/andrew/3S-GTE engine/After conversion/frontleft.jpg

http://216.69.129.37/rav4oz/PublicDownloads/andrew/3S-GTE engine/After conversion/firstday.jpg
It's first time out on the tarmac, fresh out of the workshop.

http://216.69.129.37/rav4oz/PublicDownloads/andrew/3S-GTE engine/After conversion/frontface.jpg

http://216.69.129.37/rav4oz/PublicDownloads/andrew/3S-GTE engine/After conversion/interior.jpg

http://216.69.129.37/rav4oz/PublicDownloads/andrew/3S-GTE engine/After conversion/ultravmeet.jpg
The beast at it's first outing.

http://216.69.129.37/rav4oz/PublicDownloads/andrew/3S-GTE engine/After conversion/theguts.jpg
Look a little closer to see that this RAV means business.

[Updated on: Thu, 14 July 2005 06:21]

peeack
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

September 2004
Re: Andrew's 1999 RAV4/GT-Four Hybrid Project... (22/9/04 - MAJOR pic update) Sat, 25 September 2004 14:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
have you thought about doing anything with the large bits of plastic running up the sides? I mean it looks great now, but it would look even more unique if you changed those bits. I realise money is probably a bit tight at the moment, what with the engine swap and all, but something to consider in the future maybe?
RAV-GT4
Forums Junkie

Toymods member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Andrew's 1999 RAV4/GT-Four Hybrid Project... (22/9/04 - MAJOR pic update) Sat, 25 September 2004 14:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://216.69.129.37/rav4oz/PublicDownloads/andrew/Driveshafts/driveshafts0.jpg
Reconditioned ST205 driveshafts.

http://216.69.129.37/rav4oz/PublicDownloads/andrew/Driveshafts/disassembly.jpg
Disassembling the left side.

http://216.69.129.37/rav4oz/PublicDownloads/andrew/Driveshafts/removal.jpg
Taking the old RAV4 shaft out.

http://216.69.129.37/rav4oz/PublicDownloads/andrew/Driveshafts/gboxhole.jpg
Seeing into the ST205 gearbox.

http://216.69.129.37/rav4oz/PublicDownloads/andrew/Driveshafts/gt4driveshaft.jpg
The ST205 left driveshaft with gearbox seal.

http://216.69.129.37/rav4oz/PublicDownloads/andrew/Driveshafts/comparo.jpg
Comparison 1 - ST205 driveshaft on the left, RAV4 driveshaft on the right.

http://216.69.129.37/rav4oz/PublicDownloads/andrew/Driveshafts/sizediff.jpg
Comparison 2 - In the same order as above, but check out how much thicker the ST205 driveshaft is, dwarfing the RAV4 driveshaft on the right. Also the ST205 driveshaft is about ¼" taller.

http://216.69.129.37/rav4oz/PublicDownloads/andrew/Driveshafts/spacer.jpg

http://216.69.129.37/rav4oz/PublicDownloads/andrew/Driveshafts/installed.jpg
The left side driveshaft assembly complete. This side was the hardest to do and took about 45 minutes to sort out. The right side however, took about 10 minutes.

[Updated on: Thu, 14 July 2005 06:24]

RAV-GT4
Forums Junkie

Toymods member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Andrew's 1999 RAV4/GT-Four Hybrid Project... (22/9/04 - MAJOR pic update) Sat, 25 September 2004 14:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
peeack wrote on Sun, 26 September 2004 00:12

have you thought about doing anything with the large bits of plastic running up the sides? I mean it looks great now, but it would look even more unique if you changed those bits. I realise money is probably a bit tight at the moment, what with the engine swap and all, but something to consider in the future maybe?

Dude, I'm way ahead of ya...

I already know what I'm going to do with the lower plastic trims and it's definitely going to set my RAV apart from all others (if it hasn't done so already). Very Happy Correct, money is a very big squeeze right now, two loans to pay off... lucky I don't have a missus or kids or a house. Rolling Eyes Ahhh, the freedoms of being a single lad. For now, I wouldn't have it any other way. Wink
RAV-GT4
Forums Junkie

Toymods member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Andrew's 1999 RAV4/GT-Four Hybrid Project... (22/9/04 - MAJOR pic update) Sun, 26 September 2004 03:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Fixing the rear door...

http://216.69.129.37/rav4oz/PublicDownloads/andrew/Rear door fix/old-newdoor.jpg
The old door and the new one in the box.

http://216.69.129.37/rav4oz/PublicDownloads/andrew/Rear door fix/olddents.jpg
The rear door with the dents cracking the paint around both sides of the spare wheel carrier, near the bottom of the windscreen.

http://216.69.129.37/rav4oz/PublicDownloads/andrew/Rear door fix/olddoor.jpg

http://216.69.129.37/rav4oz/PublicDownloads/andrew/Rear door fix/leftind0.jpg

http://216.69.129.37/rav4oz/PublicDownloads/andrew/Rear door fix/beaverwelds.jpg

http://216.69.129.37/rav4oz/PublicDownloads/andrew/Rear door fix/dentedfacia.jpg
The bottom part of the door, the facia, didn't survive the impact either.

http://216.69.129.37/rav4oz/PublicDownloads/andrew/Rear door fix/nodoor.jpg

http://216.69.129.37/rav4oz/PublicDownloads/andrew/Rear door fix/primed0.jpg

http://216.69.129.37/rav4oz/PublicDownloads/andrew/Rear door fix/primed2.jpg

Continued next post...

[Updated on: Thu, 14 July 2005 06:30]

RAV-GT4
Forums Junkie

Toymods member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Andrew's 1999 RAV4/GT-Four Hybrid Project... (22/9/04 - MAJOR pic update) Sun, 26 September 2004 06:49 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
http://216.69.129.37/rav4oz/PublicDownloads/andrew/Rear door fix/newdoor0.jpg

http://216.69.129.37/rav4oz/PublicDownloads/andrew/Rear door fix/newdoorsanded.jpg

http://216.69.129.37/rav4oz/PublicDownloads/andrew/Rear door fix/newrear0.jpg

http://216.69.129.37/rav4oz/PublicDownloads/andrew/Rear door fix/purplecarrier.jpg
The rear door after painting, also the spare wheel carrier with a whole new look.

http://216.69.129.37/rav4oz/PublicDownloads/andrew/Rear door fix/newfacia1.jpg

http://216.69.129.37/rav4oz/PublicDownloads/andrew/Rear door fix/npbfacia.jpg

http://216.69.129.37/rav4oz/PublicDownloads/andrew/Rear door fix/npbfitted.jpg
The rear door facia fitted, along with the stainless numberplate backing and plate.

Continued next post...

[Updated on: Thu, 14 July 2005 06:32]

Pages (8): [ «  <  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  >  »]   Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:tims ae 92 sx
Next Topic:My '91 "Baby" Camtegra
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 09:32:42 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.008936882019043 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.