Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Seamus
Newcomer

September 2004
    What the fook is that
Australia, the AE86 and Drifting Thu, 23 September 2004 23:06 Go to next message
Seems that since you are closer to Japan than the States are, you'd have done it before we knew what it was. So when did drifting and driftdays really start to take off in Australia? Where are you most likely to find drifting events in Australia?

The AE86 didn't really gain a large following here in the states until around 2000-01. When did the AE86 get popular in Australia? Has it always been?

Send a private message to this user    
Evan
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Australia, the AE86 and Drifting Thu, 23 September 2004 23:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'd say America was faster to pick up drifting and turn it into a huge specticle than Australia. Our competions are pretty weak compared to America's big D1 shows and events. But Australia have had a lot of underground illegal drifting. Probably more than America.?
AE86's have been an enthusiast only love affair here up untill recently when everyone wants one.
EvilJack
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

September 2002

Re: Australia, the AE86 and Drifting Fri, 24 September 2004 00:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It started in australia a while ago now, they first started drifting tractors as seen below...

http://users.bigpond.net.au/rsturzen/tractordrift.jpg

it than grew to where it is today.
AE86slut
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: Australia, the AE86 and Drifting Fri, 24 September 2004 00:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BWAHAHAHA...... These chops are getting better and better. This is the best one since the dorifuto horses.

Kudos, Eviljack.
AE86Boy
Regular

July 2003
Re: Australia, the AE86 and Drifting Fri, 24 September 2004 00:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think the states and australia both got into drifting at around the same time, I remember reading in a few US magazines about drifting and how to articles when we were just featuring Denzo with his bombed out 180s and dodgy sIV rx7 and the fabled drift rug,
The states was alot quicker to make it more mainstream, population, facilities have alot to do with it...
Our modifying scene is pretty minor compared to the mass shows and events you guys put on over there with HIN and all the other shows, you guys have a very strong import performance scene...

How many import or compact shows or motorsports events are there in california in the one month alone??
Ask anyone that question here and Im pretty sure the answer would surprise you.

The 86 has always been a standout car even before drifting started to pick up here, its just now they are becoming more and more dificult to find in moderate to good condition, and fewer that would make great drift projects.

Arch
Forums Junkie

January 2004

Re: Australia, the AE86 and Drifting Fri, 24 September 2004 01:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
There is more american population, so you guys really pack the stands when an event goes on, its really good to see. You get lots of companies rocking up showing off their wares, and also lots of models (all those hot latino/american models yeh baby!)

drifting as a spectator sport here isnt as big, but thats due to less population also. the skill of the drifters here is definately rising fast tho. Adelaide has a great reputation when it comes to drift, we are one of the smallest cities in australia, yet we have some of the nicest drift cars, and most skilled drivers. You will always see a good representation of adelaide cars at an interstate event, take sydney for example.

apparently a D1 round is currently in the planning for australia, only problem being that we dont have as much population as you guys in america...

one thing i wanna ask, whats with all the carpark drift? Laughing
SEXY 16
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Australia, the AE86 and Drifting Fri, 24 September 2004 03:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ae86 scene hit ireland in 94 people realised who nimble chuckable machine not many left 325i sports bmws are taking off now
bubbles
Forums Junkie

Banned user

March 2004
Re: Australia, the AE86 and Drifting Fri, 24 September 2004 11:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Remenber the old hot4s magazines with denzo in it back in 94 95,Problably the oldest drift nut in australia, still drifting events didnt pick up till, i would say last year.
muaythaiman
Regular

August 2004
Re: Australia, the AE86 and Drifting Fri, 24 September 2004 11:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'd say that genuine AE enthusiasts were around in the early 90's. I saw 4ages in a couple of sprinters in the early 90's. My old man always used to say they had potential. Society changes and the younger gens get a bit of an idea and then ............like someone said...........everyone wants one
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Australia, the AE86 and Drifting Fri, 24 September 2004 13:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://forums.toymods.org.au/index.php?t=getfile&id=6825
Satoshi
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: Australia, the AE86 and Drifting Fri, 24 September 2004 15:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bubbles wrote on Fri, 24 September 2004 21:05

Remenber the old hot4s magazines with denzo in it back in 94 95,Problably the oldest drift nut in australia, still drifting events didnt pick up till, i would say last year.

94-95? omg..i was like 13 years old?
ermm..how come denzo's (JMS right?) not competing in Drift Nats?
Aussie
Regular

June 2003
Re: Australia, the AE86 and Drifting Fri, 24 September 2004 17:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
He competed in melbourne, as did christian from jms, but christian did better in melbourne, keeping in mind it was denzo's first drive in his new s13 (even though he has driven other s13's for years, this one had a lot more lag and a lot more power etc) but he didn't go to sydney nats coz he said "couldn't be fucked".
mrf_ool
Forums Junkie

May 2004

Re: Australia, the AE86 and Drifting Sun, 26 September 2004 13:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
how come that tractor is beating steve ...?
Steve-AE86
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2003
Re: Australia, the AE86 and Drifting Mon, 27 September 2004 05:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mrf_ool wrote on Sun, 26 September 2004 22:37

how come that tractor is beating steve ...?

that would be simon Wink
Simon-AE86
Forums Junkie

Banned user

July 2002

Re: Australia, the AE86 and Drifting Mon, 27 September 2004 05:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hehehehe love the sik angle on the tractor Wink
mr2drift
Regular

October 2003
Re: Australia, the AE86 and Drifting Mon, 27 September 2004 07:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nah simon was in the backgound, you were driving the tractor steve
Steve-AE86
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2003
Re: Australia, the AE86 and Drifting Mon, 27 September 2004 09:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
haha, at least i was out on the track then... Very Happy
Simon-AE86
Forums Junkie

Banned user

July 2002

Re: Australia, the AE86 and Drifting Mon, 27 September 2004 09:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
it sounds like a tractor sometimes steve Wink
mr2drift
Regular

October 2003
Re: Australia, the AE86 and Drifting Mon, 27 September 2004 12:25 Go to previous message
so plug up the drain pipe exhaust Very Happy
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Hard Tuned Imports 3
Next Topic:Toyota Echo sportivo - opinions...
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Tue May 7 05:10:27 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.006227970123291 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.