Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
woofa347
Regular

June 2004
upgrading 1JZ CT12a turbos Thu, 26 August 2004 11:40 Go to next message
Howdy, just wondering what are the best turbo upgrades for the ceramic 1JZ turbo's? Are there any mods that can be done instead to get that little bit extra out of the stock turbo's? I havnt finished my cressida yet, but I will probably only be running 12psi with 3" exhaust, FMIC, and air pod.
  Send a private message to this user    
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: upgrading 1JZ CT12a turbos Thu, 26 August 2004 12:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
from all reports, getting twin dump pipes will reduce the back pressure and heat near the turbos which causes the glue to melt and the exhaust wheels to fall off. So that would be something to do.

most people will say that if you want 250rwkw or less, keep the stock twins, injectors, computer etc. If you want more than that you upgrade turbo, fuel system, computer, gearbox etc.

GCG do upgrades to the ct12a's as well. The only people I know of that have upgraded ct12's on here are Manny and Hedgehog sandwich. Not sure who did them though.

So tell us the power goal and then you can decide what you want to do and how much money to burn! Laughing
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: upgrading 1JZ CT12a turbos Thu, 26 August 2004 13:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
12psi + fmic, the stockers dont need to be touched.
woofa347
Regular

June 2004
Re: upgrading 1JZ CT12a turbos Thu, 26 August 2004 13:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The 1JZ has so much potential, it would be a shame not to give it the works!! Razz But for now i have smoked all my money just getting the conversion done, but down the trach I defanetly want to get it upto about 400kw without rebuilding the engine, is this possible?
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: upgrading 1JZ CT12a turbos Thu, 26 August 2004 13:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
at the engine with a good tune, probably... reliability would be uncertain tho
would be looking at upgrading valves & valve springs for that power at a bare minimum tho... you're talking serious horsies there
you are aware 400kw in a car like the cressy = drag car aren't you.. and serious money too
woofa347
Regular

June 2004
Re: upgrading 1JZ CT12a turbos Thu, 26 August 2004 13:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The FMIC is quite large also, about 600x900x300. Are gated boost controllers better than "bleed valve" boost controllers.
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: upgrading 1JZ CT12a turbos Thu, 26 August 2004 13:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if you're after that power, a bleed valve is a shitty, cheap boost controller.
also avoid turbosmart and gofastbits

and I would *love* to see pics of a 900x600 cooler fitted on a cressy
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: upgrading 1JZ CT12a turbos Thu, 26 August 2004 13:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
btw - what are the real dimensions?
I'm reasonably sure 300 thick coolers dont exist Smile
woofa347
Regular

June 2004
Re: upgrading 1JZ CT12a turbos Thu, 26 August 2004 13:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeh Im probably just looking too far ahead atm lol. I would be happy with 350kw's Razz
How much kw's are cressies with similar mods making at the wheels? About the 250kw range?
woofa347
Regular

June 2004
Re: upgrading 1JZ CT12a turbos Thu, 26 August 2004 13:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oops yeh sorry, got the dimensions wrong lol. its 30cm high, 60cm long, and 7.5cm's thick lol sorry about that. I can send you picks of mine installed if you want. Give me your addy and I can send it now.
woofa347
Regular

June 2004
Re: upgrading 1JZ CT12a turbos Thu, 26 August 2004 13:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Whats wrong with the turbosmart and gfb boost controllers, what ones do you recommend? Are those "power-up" ones on ebay any good?
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: upgrading 1JZ CT12a turbos Thu, 26 August 2004 13:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
most people I've spoken to at performance workshops badmouth turbosmart controllers, specially for decent power applications (which you'll be making)

with your mods, 170rwkw would be a better target.

people rave about the CM boost controller (PM celicamad on these forums). I haven't installed mnine yet, so I cant personally comment.
woofa347
Regular

June 2004
Re: upgrading 1JZ CT12a turbos Thu, 26 August 2004 13:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oh ok, I am getting a bit ahead of myself then lol. The 1JZ twin turbos are 208kw at the engine, it must drop a fair bit at the wheels? :-S
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: upgrading 1JZ CT12a turbos Thu, 26 August 2004 13:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yes Smile
*all*cars drop a lot between engine and wheels, due to drive train losses, and the fact that car companies measure their engines under perfect conditions
180 would also be a reasonable figure... depends on how well looked after the engine is, quality of cooler, etc etc etc

[Updated on: Thu, 26 August 2004 13:41]

Danish
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: upgrading 1JZ CT12a turbos Thu, 26 August 2004 17:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I just got my new Celicamad boost controller, it looks great. I can't wait to get it in.
woofa347
Regular

June 2004
Re: upgrading 1JZ CT12a turbos Thu, 26 August 2004 22:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Do you have to buy Celicamads controller as the set (boost controller and wastegate control)? Would I be able to get the boost controller now and then get the wastegate controller later?
Skip
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: upgrading 1JZ CT12a turbos Thu, 26 August 2004 23:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Boost controllers do contol the wastegate.
woofa347
Regular

June 2004
Re: upgrading 1JZ CT12a turbos Fri, 27 August 2004 01:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
So with my stock boost controlled setup on the 1JZ, i would need to get both the micro boost controller and wastegate control from celicamad?
woofa347
Regular

June 2004
Re: upgrading 1JZ CT12a turbos Fri, 27 August 2004 01:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If anyone wants to see the FMIC on my Cressy, go to http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/619534

I know it doesnt look very pretty at the moment Razz But in about a months time I should have it on the road.
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: upgrading 1JZ CT12a turbos Fri, 27 August 2004 02:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
woofa347 wrote on Fri, 27 August 2004 11:20

So with my stock boost controlled setup on the 1JZ, i would need to get both the micro boost controller and wastegate control from celicamad?

what do you mean by stock boost controlled setup?

I have the hiperboost controller and wastegate control.
woofa347
Regular

June 2004
Re: upgrading 1JZ CT12a turbos Fri, 27 August 2004 02:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sorry, I just meant with a stock engine, without any manual boost tee or anything like that, would I need to get both the hiperboost controller and wastegate control tee?
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: upgrading 1JZ CT12a turbos Fri, 27 August 2004 03:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you could just get the boost controller part but then it is just like any other boost controller as far as I am aware. The wastegate control is the "special" part Smile
woofa347
Regular

June 2004
Re: upgrading 1JZ CT12a turbos Fri, 27 August 2004 05:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The wastegate controller will just help to bring the boost on quicker?
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: upgrading 1JZ CT12a turbos Fri, 27 August 2004 06:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yep and i highly recommend it!
woofa347
Regular

June 2004
Re: upgrading 1JZ CT12a turbos Fri, 27 August 2004 08:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What sort of performance gains did you get after putting it on?
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: upgrading 1JZ CT12a turbos Fri, 27 August 2004 08:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
woofa347 wrote on Thu, 26 August 2004 22:58

Whats wrong with the turbosmart and gfb boost controllers, what ones do you recommend? Are those "power-up" ones on ebay any good?

They are cheap and nasty and they spike, however you wind find any decent form of boost control for under $100 so thats why i have one!
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: upgrading 1JZ CT12a turbos Sat, 28 August 2004 01:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
woofa347 wrote on Fri, 27 August 2004 18:10

What sort of performance gains did you get after putting it on?

can't give a totally accurate description as i only got to hit boost once before my engine started making stupid noises. I am in the process of swapping a new engine in at the moment.

however, the car (1jz 1982 corona with auto) used to wheelspin through first and then get some traction in 2nd. I then got the twin pipes fitted to my existing 3" exhaust and a hiperboost controller however, the fuckwit mechanic hooked it up wrong and then went and flogged my car. He said it was wheelspinning in 3rd now, which is no doubt why I am now changing engines as he said it was detonating.

Then I thought, "if it was detonating, why the fuck were you raping it, FUCKHEAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

sorry, off topic but fuck that pisses me off! No No No
acmtt
Regular

March 2003
Re: upgrading 1JZ CT12a turbos Sat, 28 August 2004 08:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Upgrading the CT12a's is pretty common. ATS at Tullamarine did mine and at the time it was $1150 each 9 ( a year ago) for highflowing with steel wheels. That was without removal or fitting. I know of about 6 other Soarers around Melb with ATS high flowed turbos. Its the size of the highflow that you will have to decide on, and whether to get the better ball bearing Garret cores put in.
You can have as much power as you like on tap if you can justify the expense.

Power levels with 18psi will be approx 230ATW depending on your management. The support system and degree of tune will determine how much over 230 you will get.
You could always send Neil an email at http://www.rushimports.com.au/
as he has just got some new high flowed CT12a's for sale.
Manny
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: upgrading 1JZ CT12a turbos Sat, 28 August 2004 12:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chris Davey wrote on Thu, 26 August 2004 22:51

GCG do upgrades to the ct12a's as well. The only people I know of that have upgraded ct12's on here are Manny and Hedgehog sandwich. Not sure who did them though.

Manny has been runing the GCG hybrid prototypes for over 2 years - modified stock housings for GT28BB cores, enlarged wastegate, larger compressor and exhaust wheels, new adjustable actuators - 327rwkw @ 21psi and great low down response and linear power delivery.

acmtt
Regular

March 2003
Re: upgrading 1JZ CT12a turbos Sat, 28 August 2004 12:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
That would be two years of abuse for those poor little turbos!!! hehehehe Laughing
woofa347
Regular

June 2004
Re: upgrading 1JZ CT12a turbos Sat, 25 September 2004 00:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sorry to bring this thread back to life, havnt checked it for a while and didnt notice any replies Razz
I probably want to aim at about 250kw with standard injectors and management for now if thats achievable until I save up a bit more cash. That will be more than enough to crush any car I've seen locally Very Happy The engine is in amazing condition! When we first got it, the oil was very clean, just a bit of rust from sea water splashing on it on the trip over hear I think Sad Only bad point about the condition...
And soon I want to order a celicamad boost controller and get a set of Tokico HP's from that group buy Very Happy
Is it possible to fit a pair of the HKS GT25 water and oil cooled? I wont be doing it in the near future, just wanted to throw some ideas around Razz

Cheers for the info
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: upgrading 1JZ CT12a turbos Sat, 25 September 2004 01:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
a pair of gt25s is possible, but make sure you get the *big* gt-25. A pair of T28s off a s15 silvia would be a better option. They're much cheaper, available in abundance on nissan forums, and a pair of them makes nice power. (this was the uprade I was looking at for a long time)
woofa347
Regular

June 2004
Re: upgrading 1JZ CT12a turbos Sat, 25 September 2004 01:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sounds good. does it make any difference if you get the internal or external wastegate ?
Soarer
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: upgrading 1JZ CT12a turbos Sat, 25 September 2004 01:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You wont get 250rwkw with standard injectors and engine management. Sorry to burst your bubble. Plain and simple, you won't have enough fuel to achieve those figures. If you get new injectors, then you'll need new management to cater for them.
Special Ed
Regular

November 2003
Re: upgrading 1JZ CT12a turbos Sat, 25 September 2004 02:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
250rwkw IS possible on standard injectors. You just need to run increased fuel pressure.

We have a big single turbo equiped JZA70 running factory management (+ FCD) and injectors, just need to get a Fuel Pressure Regulator, currently making 280 rwkw + with 50psi base fuel pressure through an SX fuel reg.

MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: upgrading 1JZ CT12a turbos Sat, 25 September 2004 02:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just a quick note, beware when you buy a T28 as not many of the aus delivered S15's were ball bearing as thats the one you want to go for...One off a GTIR pulsar is BB tho so if you can find two of them you will be cookin wif gas Very Happy
woofa347
Regular

June 2004
Re: upgrading 1JZ CT12a turbos Sat, 25 September 2004 02:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sounds very good indeed. Better you tell me straight out instead of me going out and buying all this gear with false hopes.
Im getting a Walbro 255HP and fuel pressure regulator before I get the car on the road. Will these do the job? Whats the best method of getting around the fuel cut, I have heard that fuel cut defencers are prone to causing detonation :-S I was thinking of getting a 2JZ Map sensor that can handle upto 18psi I think, can anyone clarify on this?
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: upgrading 1JZ CT12a turbos Sat, 25 September 2004 02:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
255hp?
I hope you mean the 500hp one Smile
acmtt
Regular

March 2003
Re: upgrading 1JZ CT12a turbos Sat, 25 September 2004 02:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wallbro 255LPH pump you mean.
woofa347
Regular

June 2004
Re: upgrading 1JZ CT12a turbos Sat, 25 September 2004 04:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yep the 255LPH, I didnt think leaving the L out would make such a difference

[Updated on: Sat, 25 September 2004 04:03]

woofa347
Regular

June 2004
Re: upgrading 1JZ CT12a turbos Sat, 25 September 2004 04:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oh yeh sorry, didnt notice that I typed HP asin horsepower Razz
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: upgrading 1JZ CT12a turbos Sat, 25 September 2004 09:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MR 1GGTE wrote on Sat, 25 September 2004 10:21

Just a quick note, beware when you buy a T28 as not many of the aus delivered S15's were ball bearing as thats the one you want to go for...One off a GTIR pulsar is BB tho so if you can find two of them you will be cookin wif gas Very Happy

Actually, all of the S15's, as well as the S14A200SX's had the ballbearing versions. Only the early S14 versions didn't.
celicamad
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: upgrading 1JZ CT12a turbos Sat, 25 September 2004 10:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok a few things to add

* ATS high flows are great i recommend the 1ggte exhaust wheel setup . you gain about 500 rpm of lag but gain about 20 rwkw .
if you can get a set of 1ggte wheels the turbos can be rebuilt for $550 each .The bolt in steel wheels are more expensive and performance is about the same

Performance wise there is really no difference . i drove and tested a soarer both before and after these high flows and peformance was about the same . But the car FELT a lot quicker due to more lag then a little more power

However obviously running 17 psi all the time is now no issue

* 250 rwkw on stock injectors is NOT an issue with increased fuel pressure and a regulator PLUS controlling mixtures

simply leaning the stock mixtures out to 12:1 drops duty cyle by around 10% at 220 rwkw

* my boost controllers are now called hiperboost http://www.hiperboost.com.

The Boost contoller simply controls boost and can be controlled in cabin . The wastgate control will bring boost on MUCH faster

pm me or email me sales@hiperboost.comfor details

woofa347
Regular

June 2004
Re: upgrading 1JZ CT12a turbos Sun, 26 September 2004 02:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Would I need to upgrade fuel lines/rails or anything like that to achieve 250kw's? And how long will the stock BOV hold up, high PSI would be considered to be around 20+ PSI? And what options would I have for upgrading the BOV in SA because there illegal I think, unless there totally plumb-back or have a plumb-back option. I was thinking of saving up for a Stealth FX?

[Updated on: Sun, 26 September 2004 02:19]

tt260z
Newcomer

June 2004
Re: upgrading 1JZ CT12a turbos Wed, 29 September 2004 01:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sounds good ,Steel city drag club is running a new streetcar bracket . come out on november 20 as the locals need a good crushing.
woofa347
Regular

June 2004
Re: upgrading 1JZ CT12a turbos Wed, 29 September 2004 01:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sweet, do you think it would be worth giving it a run at the Steelcity drag club?
Im not sure it would crush everyone Razz but it should surprise everyone as long as word doesnt get out about a 1JZ beig under the bonnet Very Happy Im hoping to have my car done by say this school holidays.
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: upgrading 1JZ CT12a turbos Wed, 29 September 2004 02:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
woofa347 wrote on Sun, 26 September 2004 12:16

Would I need to upgrade fuel lines/rails or anything like that to achieve 250kw's? And how long will the stock BOV hold up, high PSI would be considered to be around 20+ PSI? And what options would I have for upgrading the BOV in SA because there illegal I think, unless there totally plumb-back or have a plumb-back option. I was thinking of saving up for a Stealth FX?

The stock fuel lines & rail should be fine. You may want to get a rising rate fuel pressure regulator & even then the 380cc injectors will be very close to their flow limit. 440cc from JDM 2jz would be a good cheap upgrade.

Supposably the stock BOV leaks at above 15psi but not many people run more than 15psi with stock turbos so...? The main thing is that if you are going to run more than 15psi it is best to go aftermarket ECU as you get better tunability. Also, if you were to use interceptors you will still need a 2jz Map sensor.

I don't know what turbos you are planning on using but 20Psi is a lot so I hope you are thinking steel wheeled ct12a's or single turbo.

good luck
Chris
woofa347
Regular

June 2004
Re: upgrading 1JZ CT12a turbos Wed, 29 September 2004 02:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Great, I have ordered the Walbro High pressure pump, and soon I was aiming at getting just a Malpassi Fuel regulator to get full advantage of the high pressure pump. Are these regualtors any good? How much is it for a full set of the 2JZ 440CC injectors? Would they add much performance to justify getting them?

The 15psi will do me just fine until I upgrade the turbo's Very Happy and that wont be for a good 2-3yrs I think. Soon I will be getting one of celicamad's boost controllers, and about 90% of the time I will be driving around using maybe 5-7psi. And only really running at 15psi max for short periods of time. Celicamad's boost controller and wastegate control seem to be a good investment from what I have heard, alot of people are happy with his products.

Thanks heaps for the info guys, giving me alot of choices to think about.
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: upgrading 1JZ CT12a turbos Wed, 29 September 2004 03:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the 440cc injectors will not increase performance however they will stop your engine from blowing up if the 380cc have maxed out. I am not sure how much they are but about $400 I would think. Another option is US 2jz 550cc injectors however these are low impedance so you can either run them with 7m resistor packs so the stock ECU can run them or get aftermarket ECU. These injectors with higher fuel pressure can fuel around 600hp. So it all depends on how far you want to go Smile

Also, get it tuned right and don't flog it before getting it tuned. My 1jz was blown up because of fitting Hiperboost controller and dump pipes and getting flogged with no ECU adjustments. Apparently it was detonating badly.

word of warning Smile
woofa347
Regular

June 2004
Re: upgrading 1JZ CT12a turbos Wed, 29 September 2004 04:05 Go to previous message
Cheers thanks Smile Even though the engine is in excellent condition, you just cant be sure how long it has been sitting Sad And Iv put so much time and money into it, I definately wont be doing anything stupid once it is finally finished. Theres a local workshop that will be getting a dyno by XMAS time, and be able to do tuning. So I'm planning on just taking it easy and running everything, then taking it to them, or driving to Adelaide to have it tuned by Japanese Motorsport who I got the engine package from Smile
The 1JZ has so much potential its hard to bring yourself back to Earth with how much you can realisticly do to it with the amount of money you have Razz
I would think that in the end, If I could get anywhere near 400KW out of it , I would be very happy indeed Very Happy
For now Im just going to get as much as I can out of stock management and turbos
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Solex experts!, i need your advice..
Next Topic:Roll Cage Question
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat May 11 09:16:45 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0083041191101074 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.