Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
ae92Hobart
Occasional Poster

April 2004

icon9.gif  Paint Issues Sun, 26 September 2004 04:55 Go to next message
A while ago some dirt got stuck onder my car cover and this resulted in thousands of scratches that resemble cat claws sliding all over the roof and body of my car. I've tried numberous scratch removal polishes etc but still no luck.

Does this mean a respray is in order (roughly how much does that cost these days?) or would a car paint speciallist have some high power scratch removal magic lotion that would help restor my car to its former glory? has anyone had similar problems before?

Any info and help would be appreciated.

Cheers

Paul
  Send a private message to this user    
fade-e
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Paint Issues Sun, 26 September 2004 05:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
how deep are the scratches? have you tried cut and polish?
ae92Hobart
Occasional Poster

April 2004

Re: Paint Issues Sun, 26 September 2004 05:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah i've tried a cut and polish. I've used good quality products like maguires too. Still no luck. I'll try and get a pic of some scratches if it stops raining here.
fade-e
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Paint Issues Sun, 26 September 2004 06:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok so they are too deep for cust and polish, do you see the metal? the next thing i would try is just a buff... as for painting the car leave it till lsat thing... a buff can get scratches out that cut and polish cant.

you can try it yourself, just need some buffing compound and a buffer, try one panel and if it doesnt work then a paint is required unfortuneately
ae92Hobart
Occasional Poster

April 2004

Re: Paint Issues Sun, 26 September 2004 07:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
no metal, but there was some white coming through. its a red car so yeah it was pretty visible. I'll try and get the buffing done professionally, more chance of it getting done properly that way.

thanks for your help mate
gr8r-x
Regular

September 2004
Re: Paint Issues Sun, 26 September 2004 09:11 Go to previous message
If you can see white, then it's removed the paint, you can see the undercoat/primer.. No amount of buffing/cutting/polishing will fix that.

There is a place up the road from me that (used to) offer complete resprays for $599. Got a quote, but all the little things add up, and it was going to cost me $3k all up. That included rust removal, panel beating, boot/bonnet strip and spray, sills, basically everything.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:KE20: 4age option?
Next Topic:94 Camry Clutch Stuffed
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun May 5 06:04:42 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0089471340179443 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.