Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Flem
Regular

May 2002
power output at the wheels Sun, 26 September 2004 08:10 Go to next message
Last night i spent a few hours at J.E.M with a mate and his 20v sx.corolla . He ended up getting 70.4kw whats the chances of a mod maybe putting actual reading from dyno days at the top (sticky) just to let some people know what theyre looking at with there conversions. we removed the runners the afm and "hiflowed" the cat.WE gained 2kw from the exhaust 1kw from the cat and 1kw from the restback . We gained about 1 from removing the runners out of the plenum and about 3 from the air flow meter. Also a big thanks goes out to adam @J.E.M for putting up with a million questions that we asked Smile
  Send a private message to this user    
EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
Re: power output at the wheels Sun, 26 September 2004 08:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i woulda thought a 20V would get somewhere around the 100KW mark. what happened to the turbo idea? Rolling Eyes
AE86slut
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: power output at the wheels Sun, 26 September 2004 08:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
meh... Dyno figures are dyno figures.... Does it go hard on the street? Is he happy with it? If so, that's all that matters.

I bet he could take it to some other Dyno in Sydney and get 100kw
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: power output at the wheels Sun, 26 September 2004 09:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AE86slut wrote on Sun, 26 September 2004 18:58

meh... Dyno figures are dyno figures.... Does it go hard on the street? Is he happy with it? If so, that's all that matters.

I bet he could take it to some other Dyno in Sydney and get 100kw

agreed 100%
a dyno is a tuning tool only
not an accurate gauge of street power output.
nor something that you should base your whole engine on.

in my opinion that is.
EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
Re: power output at the wheels Sun, 26 September 2004 09:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
true, but this dyno is pretty consistand with other dynos. and if it were supposed to be around 100KW (not sure what they are supposed to get) you wouldnt expect a difference of as much as 30%. its a dyno dynamics dyno, and not that old.
Flem
Regular

May 2002
Re: power output at the wheels Sun, 26 September 2004 09:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
evo it was mikeys corolla , it goes better cos his other computer was rooted. i thought at least 90kw but according to another post a silver only makes a measured 100kw at the fly, and not the toyota 120 or so,. im still abit sketchy about the company that did the original wiring (NOT JEM) in the first place i rekon when they solderd the wires they didnt unplug the ecu and it got too hot thats y the ecu only lasted a week. the dyno is pretty regula with another places dyno dynamics dyno he showd us how to hook it up properly and how to "fudge" numbers on the dyno, but he wouldnt let me fudge my corolla to have the only stock 4af with 500kw Sad
does it go hard on the street ? how longs a piece of string i say, are u refering to cornering or straight line stuff? i might think it goes hard but another person might think its shit,In my mates case its the car hes always wanted and he doesnt drive that hard in the first place.
EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
Re: power output at the wheels Sun, 26 September 2004 09:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah you can alter shit to account for drivtrain loss, humidity etc and it can make your figures look better.
yeah i heard he had the 20V in, i had heard he was gonna turbo the stock motor Rolling Eyes
who wired it originally? is he still using the stock ecu just re-wired?
Flem
Regular

May 2002
Re: power output at the wheels Sun, 26 September 2004 09:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
new haltek, (e6? i think) i dont think its right to say the companys name but its the place down the road from his work, hes got no cash cos it just wnt to the ecu hence no 20v turbo. there was one 20vturbo at jem it pulled 167kw @ The wheels.

[Updated on: Sun, 26 September 2004 09:46]

AE86slut
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: power output at the wheels Sun, 26 September 2004 09:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I basically mean does your mate that owns it think that it goes hard and is happy with it?

As previously stated, a dyno is a tuning tool. I have a dyno sheet for my 20V that states 94.9rwkw, but if I dragged your mate, he might chop my car. They were tuned on different dyno's on different days under different conditions so in the conditions and dyno that your mates car was run on, it could be a very respectable output.
Flem
Regular

May 2002
Re: power output at the wheels Sun, 26 September 2004 09:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
happy with it um he probably batted off Rolling Eyes about it , um it was 22 degrees and 1015 but canmt remember the other figure, what dyno ecu and mods did yours have (intake tempsstarted at27 then rose to 35/37 degrees )

[Updated on: Sun, 26 September 2004 09:53]

AE86slut
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: power output at the wheels Sun, 26 September 2004 10:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It was Dyno Dynamics I think.... Wouldn't have a clue about the temp etc. Just running cutom spun trumpets and no filters.

Flogbag's car just turned 100rwkw on the same dyno with a similar setup.
Flem
Regular

May 2002
Re: power output at the wheels Sun, 26 September 2004 10:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ATT flogbog race mick Very Happy mike reckons flogbogs car MIGHT have a cam (modded one Very Happy)
river
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: power output at the wheels Sun, 26 September 2004 10:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

Interesting stuff. Someone enlighten me to what the "ballpark" losses are, in percentage, to the rear (or front) wheels.

Like, a 100kw engine is just the engine, by the time this power gets to the wheels (thru gearbox and diff), I would assume a certain percentage loss to overcome friction, heat and other stuff. There's no way a 100kw engine could deliver 100kw at the rear wheels, unless you have some alien-technology lossless transmission and drive train.

So, if you get about 20percent loss in the drivetrain, I'd expect to see around 80kw at the wheels. Am I right or am I right? I'd also assume some drivtrains would be more "lossy" than others. Autos, maybe more lossy??? Slipping clutch????

seeyuzz
river
AE86slut
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: power output at the wheels Sun, 26 September 2004 10:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You lose more with autos and 4WD.... Is it generally 20% loss? I'm unsure. Sounds right tho.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: power output at the wheels Sun, 26 September 2004 10:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
There isn't really a "standard" loss, there are too many variables. It most likely won't even be a direct correlation when working on the same car. The only way to get a true figure is to stick it on an engine dyno.

About the best yardstick you can get with chassis dynos though is finding a dyno operator with a Dyno Dynamics dyno that KNOWS how to use Shootout mode properly. It's becoming more and more apparent that there are plenty who dont which is a real shame. No No No
greenta22
Regular

July 2004
Re: power output at the wheels Sun, 26 September 2004 11:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i've heard often that drive train losses are about 30% RWD manual and 17% FWD manual. dunno about AWD. add another 7-10% for an auto. i know its is different for different cars but from what ive heard thats some sort of average.
ae95
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2003
Re: power output at the wheels Sun, 26 September 2004 11:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
can one of ae86slut or flem plz post the dyno graph from their runs

thanks

-ian
KOFFEE-BLACK
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: power output at the wheels Sun, 26 September 2004 12:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Flem wrote on Sun, 26 September 2004 19:45

new haltek, (e6? i think) i dont think its right to say the companys name but its the place down the road from his work, hes got no cash cos it just wnt to the ecu hence no 20v turbo. there was one 20vturbo at jem it pulled 167kw @ The wheels.

Thats a friends car, he is having alot of problems with that car, as he used the 20v, He should have went straight to the gze!

Hey, nice meeting you guys down at JEMS!
AE86slut
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: power output at the wheels Sun, 26 September 2004 23:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ae95 wrote on Sun, 26 September 2004 21:58

can one of ae86slut or flem plz post the dyno graph from their runs

thanks

-ian

Don't have a scanner, but if I can, I will.....
Joshstix
Forums Junkie

Toymods Vice President

May 2002
Re: power output at the wheels Sun, 26 September 2004 23:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Most of the 20 valves that have run at Toymods Dyno days have made roughly SFA power. They are generally about 7-10 KW's up on the 16 valvers.

All of the results for the Toymods Dyno days are posted in the events section fo the forum.
AE86slut
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: power output at the wheels Sun, 26 September 2004 23:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Joshstix wrote on Mon, 27 September 2004 09:19

Most of the 20 valves that have run at Toymods Dyno days have made roughly SFA power. They are generally about 7-10 KW's up on the 16 valvers.

All of the results for the Toymods Dyno days are posted in the events section fo the forum.

SFA compared to what? They are an N/A 1.6L engine.
10sec_rx7
Forums Junkie

December 2002

Re: power output at the wheels Sun, 26 September 2004 23:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
every 20v i have tuned has made between 94 and 100kw at the wheels,

dont know if any of these cars have been on other dynos or not,

if one spun up 70kw on our dyno i would be looking for problems

Dale
Joshstix
Forums Junkie

Toymods Vice President

May 2002
Re: power output at the wheels Mon, 27 September 2004 05:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AE86slut wrote on Mon, 27 September 2004 09:30

SFA compared to what? They are an N/A 1.6L engine.

Compared to the 128KW they are meant to put out at the flywheel. I have often seen stock 20 valves making less than 10 KW more than stock bigports. The engines are hugely over rated with the standard management. get some decent management on there and it's a different matter but the same can be said for most engines.

If the engines both lived up to their flywheel ratings you would expect the 2V to make 25-30KW more than a bigport on the same dyno on the same day. This just doesn't happen for some reason.
AE86slut
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: power output at the wheels Mon, 27 September 2004 05:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Meh... I dunno. I don't think they are over rated. I'm very happy with my engine and it seems to make enough power to keep up with the odd ZE engined Sprinter.... I think the big problem with people doing 20V conversions and disappointing outputs is due to the fact that most of them seem to be compromised in one way or the other e.g. shit extractors, shit exhaust, shit induction system, shit tune. They are difficult to tune properly with aftermarket management, but seem to put out decent numbers when done right. I know of one that recently spat out just over 100rwkw on a very professionally run dyno which, minus a 20% drivetrain loss, would be in line with your above fugure of 128kw @ the fly.
Flogbag
Regular

December 2003
Re: power output at the wheels Mon, 27 September 2004 06:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey ppl

10secrx7 did an excellent job tuning my car

it got 100.3kw at the wheels

its a dyno dynamics dyno and would be acurate as they have shootouts and all that on it and its in a perfessional establishment

"race michael" gonna have to....

is it running ok felt heaps sorry for him when the stock computer shit itself...

as ae86slut was saying i think its all up to install, hook up everything correctly and itll be all good... one of the main problems that i had was the vacumn ports on the side of #4 manifold runner i had to block them off and adjust the butterfly to correct idle speed as it was extremely unsellted with them open

as for preformace, i think im getting my 100kw worth i play with v6 commodores, my car pulls 130 out of second and 180 out of third with no hesitation, it doesnt even compare to my friends 100kw 4age with a microtech i pull car lengths at a time!

ill post my dyno sheet soon if i can get hold of a scanner
Flogbag
Regular

December 2003
Re: power output at the wheels Mon, 27 September 2004 07:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v385/asm/dynosheet.jpg
EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
Re: power output at the wheels Mon, 27 September 2004 07:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
next time i see ya on the road flogbag ill give ya a go. id like to get a comparisson of mine against a 16v or 20v below 5000rpm cause i still think mine pulls alright while off boost. have you still got the stock diff? i think i read you were going T18?

theres gotta be a problem with micks car forsure. 70kw is a little dissapointing. plus all the bog that things got would slow it down too. Rolling Eyes
Special Ed
Regular

November 2003
Re: power output at the wheels Mon, 27 September 2004 08:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Celicamad has data on the drivetrain losses. But I think it generally goes like this.

Toyota boxes are generally low loss, ie people over state the losses from toyota gboxes.

manuals lose about 12%, and auto's (such A340) lose about 19%.

Only full time 4wd lose up to 30%.

These figures were researched by a firm using both engine and chassis dyno's, and were attained about as accurately as possible (within reason).

Flogbag
Regular

December 2003
Re: power output at the wheels Mon, 27 September 2004 12:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
"plus all the bog that things got would slow it down too" - lol

yah ill give u a run you'll smash me tho i been told u have done some work to ur car since last time i seen it go

stock diff still and gearbox i am just trying not to give it to much of a hard time...
Flogbag
Regular

December 2003
Re: power output at the wheels Mon, 27 September 2004 12:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
how is the turbo setup going? worth doing how much power do u have? wats it like to drive?

would like to know some details maybe even meet up and have a look sometime...
EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
Re: power output at the wheels Tue, 28 September 2004 06:33 Go to previous message
have a look whenever you like.
power is a relatively low 173KW atw's, should hit the magic 200 mark next dyno run due to the fact my wastegate was fucked but now its sorted.
good to drive if you dont mind lag, which im ok with cause its easy to stay off boost in the wet, and when the missus is in the car. Very Happy

your diff will hold up fine if you dont flog it, im still on my stock diff, but i didnt give my car a hard time when it was gze and still dont now.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Leak somewhere around the thermostat *HELP!!!*
Next Topic:Tailshaft Loops
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat May 18 02:15:08 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0082190036773682 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.