Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
stradlater
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Diff Oil Mon, 19 April 2004 06:18 Go to next message
What oil do you put in a diff? I just emptied out an ra23 diff and I need to know what to replace it with.
  Send a private message to this user    
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Diff Oil Mon, 19 April 2004 07:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what sort of a workload does it see?
standard engine?
stradlater
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Diff Oil Mon, 19 April 2004 12:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It's got a 1g-gte single turbo (600hp) conversion in front of it. So yes, it's getting considerably more violent use than normal.
TA22-3SGTE
Regular

May 2002
Re: Diff Oil Mon, 19 April 2004 12:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If it's the standard RA diff no oil will be good enough to save it from a terrible death but to help it survive a little longer go for a 140 grade oil .

Trevor
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Diff Oil Mon, 19 April 2004 15:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yep, the 90w140 (or whatever it is) would be the only way to go.
mind you, an aftermarket centre is the *only* way you're going to support 600bhp for more than a few days/minutes
benen
Regular

August 2003
Re: Diff Oil Thu, 23 September 2004 00:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I just replaced the diff center in my RA28 after an incident. How much diff oil do they take? It's just the standard T-series diff.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Diff Oil Thu, 23 September 2004 00:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
draven wrote on Tue, 20 April 2004 01:06

mind you, an aftermarket centre is the *only* way you're going to support 600bhp for more than a few days/minutes

An aftermarket centre will be a huge waste of money - it will still snap like a twig! T series diffs are just too small.

Time for a diff conversion. Smile
Bugman
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Diff Oil Thu, 23 September 2004 01:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
agreed...

t series is for sprinter people to put their faith in... not big tough 1g people.
rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Diff Oil Thu, 23 September 2004 02:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
stradlater wrote on Mon, 19 April 2004 22:43

It's got a 1g-gte single turbo (600hp) conversion in front of it. So yes, it's getting considerably more violent use than normal.

farken awesome, 600hp from a 1g, nice work man!! Cool

and yeah ditch that T series.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Diff Oil Thu, 23 September 2004 03:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wait a minute, is it a 600hp turbo or a 600hp engine? If the latter I agree, very impressive.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Diff Oil Thu, 23 September 2004 03:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
600HP turbo if I do recall.
Bugman
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Diff Oil Thu, 23 September 2004 03:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
So what power is it putting down

and if it had 600hp it would definatly be smashing t series diffs...
hell a gen 3 wound up to 15psi smashes em constantly..

basically a gen3 running stock will be runnable on a t series, but you will have to change them every once in a while.

benen
Regular

August 2003
Re: Diff Oil Thu, 23 September 2004 05:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
benen wrote on Thu, 23 September 2004 09:40

I just replaced the diff center in my RA28 after an incident. How much diff oil do they take? It's just the standard T-series diff.

Anyone?
Bugman
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Diff Oil Thu, 23 September 2004 05:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
fill it till it cant take anymore.

depends really on how much oil you get out of the axles etc.

I once heard of someone jacking up one side and draining it completely.
but I used to just buy two bottles of the stuff and get asmuch as i could get in.. mind you alot of it ended up on me Smiley =

so buy a proper oil pump or find a bottle with a good nozzle

I found one brand that had a good nozzle and the right shape to be able to fill up easily in the end and just kept it and filled up the bottle over and over..
FKN16V
Forums Junkie

July 2003
Re: Diff Oil Thu, 23 September 2004 10:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AE86 s- series use 1.5 ltrs, I can only assume the t-series will use similar amounts.

But as stated before, buy 2ltrs and fill till it spills, or if your after the exact amount refer to a owners manual

Cheers

Steve
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Diff Oil Thu, 23 September 2004 12:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Penrite 75/140, 1.something litres. However, as said, forget the T diff, time for a change!
stradlater
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Diff Oil Fri, 24 September 2004 01:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No no, it's a 600hp turbo, not a 600hp motor. I've yet to find out how much power the engine is putting out, I'm going to rip the engine out ot put a new one in this weekend, so I'll eb re-tuning it soon after I put the new motor in. THen I'll tell you how much power it's putting out.

As for diff oil, to drain my diff I just take the drain plug out and let it all come out
and
to refill
I just put one axle in, and then jack the other side of the car right up and the other right down and then just pour about 2 litres of diff oil in the side axle that is up in the air. No probs at all.

benen
Regular

August 2003
Re: Diff Oil Fri, 24 September 2004 01:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i cant find any replacements for my t-series. i went looking for a g-series from a hilux but no luck. I've looked around on the forum for info on other diff's that will fit but i could only find out about the hilux ones. I assumed 2 litres would be enough so thats what i bought. There is not drop of oil in mine because i took out the entire diff (car is at a mates house) and lugged it back to my house.
stradlater
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Diff Oil Fri, 24 September 2004 02:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Trust me. As soon as you weld the t series diff up, you'll break it.
However, that said, when you have the t series open wheeling, it seems to last alright, I bashed the hell out of mine in open wheeler mode and it lasted nicely.

ANd yeah, 2 litres will do fine.
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Diff Oil Fri, 24 September 2004 09:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No need to get messy putting oil in through the axle hole though, why not use the filler plug? Laughing
benen
Regular

August 2003
Re: Diff Oil Mon, 27 September 2004 00:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
who said anything about filling it up through the axle hole?
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Diff Oil Mon, 27 September 2004 01:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
stradlater wrote on Fri, 24 September 2004 09:13

I just put one axle in, and then jack the other side of the car right up and the other right down and then just pour about 2 litres of diff oil in the side axle that is up in the air. No probs at all.

He did
stradlater
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Diff Oil Mon, 27 September 2004 01:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yep, I did. and the reason I put it in through the axle is because I usually have the axle out when I have to change the diff oil, because I usually break axles in there.
plus
the filler hole is so damn hard to get to when the diff is in the car
checks202
Regular

I supported Toymods

April 2004

Re: Diff Oil Mon, 27 September 2004 04:42 Go to previous message
If your selling the car, use mince Razz . Makes things really quite for the first 500k's. Laughing
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Corolla II vac setup
Next Topic:head codes
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 22:24:19 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0068459510803223 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.