Toymods » Tech & Conversions » What ECU to run Quad throttle 16v

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

What ECU to run Quad throttle 16v Sun, 26 September 2004 23:48 Go to next message
Well courtesy of some tard monkey breaking into my car, i now have a choice of a new ECU.
Looking at the lower end models, and sofar have narrowed it down to a choice of four.

Wolf V4
Haltech *6 series
Microtech LTX8
and EMS

Im hazy on the Haltechs and EMS's, but i gather all of those are under the $1400ish mark.

It needs to be able to control GZE injectors quite precisely, as at idle the quad throttles really dont use much fuel, but high up in the power band they really suck it down. Its to be used as a track car, so ease of adjustability is quite nice.

What do people think?
  Send a private message to this user    
EvilJack
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

September 2002

Re: What ECU to run Quad throttle 16v Sun, 26 September 2004 23:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://forums.toymods.org.au/index.php?t=msg&t h=19459&rid=1334&S=b0a0600e69a1c3c3699dbdb ee006bfd2&pl_view=&start=0
takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: What ECU to run Quad throttle 16v Mon, 27 September 2004 00:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks EJ. In my pissedoffedness i didnt http://forums.toymods.org.au/theme/default/images/top_search.gif
EvilJack
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

September 2002

Re: What ECU to run Quad throttle 16v Mon, 27 September 2004 00:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rolling Eyes

your soul is mine Evil or Very Mad
10sec_rx7
Forums Junkie

December 2002

Re: What ECU to run Quad throttle 16v Mon, 27 September 2004 02:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
takai wrote on Mon, 27 September 2004 09:48

Well courtesy of some tard monkey breaking into my car, i now have a choice of a new ECU.
Looking at the lower end models, and sofar have narrowed it down to a choice of four.

Wolf V4
Haltech *6 series
Microtech LTX8
and EMS

Im hazy on the Haltechs and EMS's, but i gather all of those are under the $1400ish mark.

It needs to be able to control GZE injectors quite precisely, as at idle the quad throttles really dont use much fuel, but high up in the power band they really suck it down. Its to be used as a track car, so ease of adjustability is quite nice.

What do people think?

i have done heaps of quad throttle 4cyls with microtech LT8 or LTx8, they have no problems controlling large injectors, they also have the advantage of being able to be mapped in TPS for off boost then map when it comes on boost if you ever decieded to turbo the car,

i have a toyota starlet i do a lot of work on running 745cc per cylinder of injector and it still idles great, it makes 271hp at the wheels on 21psi boost

Dale
ae86trueno
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: What ECU to run Quad throttle 16v Mon, 27 September 2004 04:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I run A cheap ass EMS stinger with My quads and its fine

My question is why do you need to run 4AGZE injectors,
I run my 4AGE with 20V throttles and 304 Deg cams with only the 250cc 4AGE injectors and they run fine, but hay if you got them run them, or your turboing the thing but thats a different story.

Cheers
Ben.
Ben Wilson
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: What ECU to run Quad throttle 16v Mon, 27 September 2004 04:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ben - That's odd - Marks's car ran out of injectors on the standard units....
ae86trueno
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: What ECU to run Quad throttle 16v Mon, 27 September 2004 05:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wasnt that a fuel Filter blokage he eventually tracked it down to ??? cant remember too long ago.

Ben.
takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: What ECU to run Quad throttle 16v Mon, 27 September 2004 05:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
As far as my calculations went i would need the GZE injectors. I have both the 100kw and GZE injectors so i can play
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: What ECU to run Quad throttle 16v Mon, 27 September 2004 06:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
there are issues with microtechs and fuel economy with 20v's/quads to air
but it will WORK. Smile
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: What ECU to run Quad throttle 16v Mon, 27 September 2004 06:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ae86drift wrote on Mon, 27 September 2004 14:07

there are issues with microtechs and fuel economy with 20v's/quads to air
but it will WORK. Smile

The only issue with the current Microtech's and fuel economy is the ability of your tuner.
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: What ECU to run Quad throttle 16v Mon, 27 September 2004 06:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
or your available tuning points
on:
lt
ltx
ltx8

[Updated on: Mon, 27 September 2004 06:15]

justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: What ECU to run Quad throttle 16v Mon, 27 September 2004 06:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The extrapolation on them is very good, tuning points aren't the be all and end all of ECU's. A good tuner is the key to any aftermarket ECU, ask Dale about his bloody rotary and see if you still think they have bad fuel economy.
AE86slut
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: What ECU to run Quad throttle 16v Mon, 27 September 2004 06:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ae86drift wrote on Mon, 27 September 2004 16:13

or your available tuning points
on:
lt
ltx
ltx8

Nod

They work ok, but certainly feels flat going from light throttle/low revs to full throttle. Tends to bog down out of corners.

I heard that Motec M4's can be had for $1,800 now.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: What ECU to run Quad throttle 16v Mon, 27 September 2004 06:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AE86slut wrote on Mon, 27 September 2004 14:19

They work ok, but certainly feels flat going from light throttle/low revs to full throttle. Tends to bog down out of corners.

How much time was spent on fixing this though?
AE86slut
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: What ECU to run Quad throttle 16v Mon, 27 September 2004 06:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
justcallmefrank wrote on Mon, 27 September 2004 16:24

AE86slut wrote on Mon, 27 September 2004 14:19

How much time was spent on fixing this though?

Well, I guess to fix it, I would be up for a Motec. It appears that this is as good as the Microtech can run quads to air.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: What ECU to run Quad throttle 16v Mon, 27 September 2004 06:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Who tuned it?
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: What ECU to run Quad throttle 16v Mon, 27 September 2004 06:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BTW, I'm not having a go, I'm just thinking about a Microtech down the track, and I'm trying to sort out the tuner related problems, as opposed to the ECU deficiencies.
AE86slut
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: What ECU to run Quad throttle 16v Mon, 27 September 2004 06:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
justcallmefrank wrote on Mon, 27 September 2004 16:34

Who tuned it?

Somebody with lots of experience tuning 20V's!

Don't get me wrong, I love it and it performs wonderfully, but there are times when you do notice the flatness. I will talk to the tuner about this before I make any more comments.

Cheers,

Jeremy.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: What ECU to run Quad throttle 16v Mon, 27 September 2004 06:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dale,
Would you be able to speak to some of the customers with 20v's you've tuned and shed some light on it?
takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: What ECU to run Quad throttle 16v Mon, 27 September 2004 08:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
There is also a big difference between keeping a 20v to idle, and keeping a 16v with 20v quads idling. Mainly due to the lack of an ISCV to keep the idle air constant. Tuning for idle is easy with that, without........
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: What ECU to run Quad throttle 16v Mon, 27 September 2004 08:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
takai wrote on Mon, 27 September 2004 18:44

There is also a big difference between keeping a 20v to idle, and keeping a 16v with 20v quads idling. Mainly due to the lack of an ISCV to keep the idle air constant. Tuning for idle is easy with that, without........

is hell. Very Happy
1bam777
Regular

May 2002
Re: What ECU to run Quad throttle 16v Mon, 27 September 2004 10:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hmmm.... Stay away from the WOLF3D V4. Its got starting issues. I'll go for the Haltech over the Microtech any day.

In saying that, the Wolf isn't too bad a unit once the car starts (!), runs the car beautifully. Quads, 310deg cams with GZE injectors. Economy isn't too bad either, but as most of the guys have mentioned up here, it all comes down to the tuning of the ECU.

Cheers.
takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: What ECU to run Quad throttle 16v Mon, 27 September 2004 12:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
This certainly has been an interesting discussion. And if you combine this thread with the other thread quite a good resource.

I have decided on a new E6X, ordered today. Getting it tomrorow.
indigoid
Regular

September 2002

Re: What ECU to run Quad throttle 16v Mon, 27 September 2004 15:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've seen numerous Motec M4s sell for $1500 or less. You'd then need to buy a new M4 loom, which doesn't cost much. The rest of the costs are probably much the same as with the other ECUs.

I'd hope that if they were selling for more than that, they'd have some of the costs-extra options enabled, eg. wideband lambda
Ben Wilson
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: What ECU to run Quad throttle 16v Mon, 27 September 2004 22:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ae86trueno wrote on Mon, 27 September 2004 15:02

Wasnt that a fuel Filter blokage he eventually tracked it down to ??? cant remember too long ago.

There was a problem with that initially, but, we wound up changing back to ZE ones anyway, I'm not 100% sure of the duty cycle in the end come to think of it...
takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: What ECU to run Quad throttle 16v Mon, 27 September 2004 22:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
At a simple calculation of estimated HPx1.8 i wound up with an approximate of 340cc injectors. Thats at 75% duty cycle. So the GZE injectors fit. The 100kw ones do work, but at ~90% duty cycle, which i think is a bit much.

Either way i have both, and the haltech should be able to cope with both. Come to think of it i may make up a generic joiner plug so i can swap the high-impedence (100kw) and low-impedence (GZE) plugs around.
Ben Wilson
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: What ECU to run Quad throttle 16v Tue, 28 September 2004 00:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
With a little bit of careful grinding on the top of the injector, NA injector plugs will fit a ZE injector...
10sec_rx7
Forums Junkie

December 2002

Re: What ECU to run Quad throttle 16v Tue, 28 September 2004 00:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
damm i hate computers, had a big reply to everyone typed and lost it!

to start

ae86drift
rpm points on the LT range are identical to the e6 range of haltech, when the update for the "S" series is done there will be more than double the load points of the e6 range,

justcallmefrank
i tuned ae86sluts car, its the only 20v i have ever done that has felt flat in the bottom end, waiting to do a road tune on it to see if there is a problem in the tune, there are a few other people on here whos 20v's i have tuned ill try and remember there user names, "the Dayo" is one that comes to mind, he never had any dramas at all even after i tuned it when it was turbo.

AE86slut
motec wont fix your problem, i really thing you need to put the stock trumpets back on and that will fix your problem, no other 20v i have ever touched fells flat or bogs down out of corners, as i have said via pm we will do a road tune on it and see what is going on,

anyone can make trumpets, weather they work or not is another thing, 90% of the time trumpets will only help up top and will hinder the low end running of the engine, i have played with hundreds of different shapes on small engines and knows what works and what dosent, stock ones work fine.

microtech can control ISCV no problems at all, i have many cars running them, not all cars need them but they do help in a lot of cases.

dale
10sec_rx7
Forums Junkie

December 2002

Re: What ECU to run Quad throttle 16v Tue, 28 September 2004 00:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
to swap the plugs over you just have to grind the locating lug off the sides of the injector, very easy to do
AE86slut
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: What ECU to run Quad throttle 16v Tue, 28 September 2004 00:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cool. Thanks for clearing that up Dale.

I hope I didn't give anyone the impression that I wasn't happy with the tuning coz that is not true. Dale is the man when it comes to tuning 20V's IMO and I will not go anywhere else!

Dale, I think you are right with regards to the trumpets. It does make a lot of sense now that I think about it with the shorter, straighter trumpets making very good top-end power on my engine. It's not so much feeling flat down low, it's more going from light/mid throttle to WOT. It seems to rev a lot quicker if I gradually press down on the pedal as the revs rise.

Cheers mate. I'll be coming out to see you as soon as I can!

Jeremy.
10sec_rx7
Forums Junkie

December 2002

Re: What ECU to run Quad throttle 16v Tue, 28 September 2004 01:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
it could be as simple as the VVT switch on needs adjusting, but we will sort that out on the road,

do you have the stock trumpets??
AE86slut
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: What ECU to run Quad throttle 16v Tue, 28 September 2004 01:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Unfortunately I don't have the stock trumpets man. But if that is the cause (trumpet design) of the lack of throttle response, then I'm happy with that. I'd rather keep my top end than change trumpets and lose it but gain a bit of low-mid.
10sec_rx7
Forums Junkie

December 2002

Re: What ECU to run Quad throttle 16v Tue, 28 September 2004 01:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cool,

give me a buzz later in the week and we will work out a time,

next week should be fine,
AE86slut
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: What ECU to run Quad throttle 16v Tue, 28 September 2004 01:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Done and done. Thanks champ!
takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: What ECU to run Quad throttle 16v Tue, 28 September 2004 05:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dale the problem with tuning quads on a 16v is not the ISCV, which all ECUs can control. But rather the complete lack of the ISCV which causes the problem.

Anyway, i have gone with the E6X due to prior proven performance. (Wow that sounded like an intended acronym (which its not)).

Also on the trumpet debate, yes shorter trumpets will give better high end power at the lack of low end response. I have short trumpets on my car, bearing in mind that i have 304* cams, and am not expecting anything down low. I have geared the car up for high end performance as it will be used as a track car 90% of the time.
Rex_Kelway
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: What ECU to run Quad throttle 16v Tue, 28 September 2004 13:11 Go to previous message
Dont settle for anything less than Motec or Autronic. Personally Rex has seen a few 'other' systems come throuigh work and they have been less than desirable. Power yes, drivebility, not quite so nice.

Motec and Autronic will run anything you throw at them from huge cams and ITB's with large injectors to precise cold starting.

Motec has droppeded its prices on the M4 and M48 range making it unbeatable for the money.

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:ae86 air conditioning.
Next Topic:22R-E economy/starting drama's
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 18:51:43 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0077750682830811 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.