Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Danish
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Toyota Celsior Mon, 27 September 2004 13:02 Go to next message
Does anyone here own a Toyota Celsior (Lexus LS400)? I am interested in importing one from Japan after I sell my Soarer.

I'd like a 1989-1990 C-Type F Package Celsior, with dark duco and leather seats. They seem to go for $8-$12k without compliance, landed in Australia.

I'd avoid airsuspension, but I would like a sunroof, rear audio/climate controls, digital dash, and all other electrics and options.

http://www.prestigemotorsport.com.au/au/stock/deta ils.asp?StockID=2491

http://www.prestigemotorsport.com.au/au/stock/deta ils.asp?StockID=1554

http://www.prestigemotorsport.com.au/au/stock/deta ils.asp?StockID=1431

http://www.prestigemotorsport.com.au/au/stock/deta ils.asp?StockID=1166

other examples, look under sold vehicles:
http://www.prestigemotorsport.com.au

On the other hand if a Toyota Chaser JZX90 was in the same price range I'd go with one of those as I know more about 1JZ's than 1UZ's. However, the shear luxuriousness of the Celsior is hard to beat.

I can't really find any problems associated with the Celsior electrics or the 1UZ-FE, so please enlighten me. It's a shame a blower is out of my budget for the V8. I'd like to make the same amount of power my Soarer has (210kw) but I know that really isnt possible without a lot of moeny, and the point of buying the Celsior would be to just revel in the glory of it's comfort and drive the thing from A to B, while saving petrol and enjoying taking friends around with the extra two doors without worrying about police.

[Updated on: Mon, 27 September 2004 13:44]

Send a private message to this user    
peeack
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

September 2004
Re: Toyota Celsior Mon, 27 September 2004 13:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
umm, they're both the same link, both to an R32..
Skip
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Toyota Celsior Mon, 27 September 2004 13:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Im hanging to import one and twin turbo it Evil or Very Mad not to sure that there is much room in the engine bay though
Danish
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: Toyota Celsior Mon, 27 September 2004 14:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skip; who are you looking at to import one? Are you going to wait a few months to get a 1990 model?

Wouldn't a blower be cheaper? Even though that is still expensive. The soarer boys on the (http://www.alsc.aus.as/messages/board-topics.html) forum seem to know a fair bit about 1UZ-FE's.

The thing is I don't think I'm too keen on modifying it once I get it. The whole point it to avoid spending alot of money once I get it, and actually enjoy it and enjoy driving it without worrying about police, theft and mechanical problems associated with conversions or upgrades.

The only things I can see that I don't like about this car is that the audio system is fully integrated and looks to be a non standard DIM. So it will still have a cassette tape up front and cd stacker in the boot. I think the radio will be ok though if you add an FM expander. The only other thing is the left foot parking brake. Airsuspension is to be avoided, and TEMS in the others would eventually fail.

I like the idea of rear seat adjustment, all electric seats and a rear back massager! The only thing it's missing is a TV and GPS. The rear climate and audio controls are also very cool.

I think I would add 17" wheels and dark tinting. Possibly also a nice throaty exhaust and extractors but under the legal limit.

[Updated on: Mon, 27 September 2004 14:26]

peeack
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

September 2004
Re: Toyota Celsior Mon, 27 September 2004 14:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ahh, that's better, they are a very nice car actually.. If it was me i'd probably leave the engine mostly standard. Given the size / weight of the car, it would never go that quickly unless you spent a large sum of money. It would look very slick with a really dark tint, pitch black paint and some big rims on it ^_^
Danish
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: Toyota Celsior Mon, 27 September 2004 15:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah, that's true. I think I'd do what you said peeack. The chicks would love the electric options and leather seats. Pimpmaster mobile.

[Updated on: Mon, 27 September 2004 15:21]

Grant
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Toyota Celsior Mon, 27 September 2004 21:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Unfortunately all the Celsiors have air suspension. Before you buy one though go and test drive an early LS400. I was going to do the same thing until I actually drove one. Luxury yes; exciting no. They are getting quite pricy too, almost to the point that you could get a very good LS400 in Australia for the same money.

THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: Toyota Celsior Tue, 28 September 2004 02:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
although the Celsior is now just trimming into the 15 year rule, and i have seen a few on Yahoo Japan for under $5k, which puts them still a bit cheaper than the locally delivered LS400 which was a povo pack anyway.

The main problem i have with the Celsior is the insurance rating they have - BAD.
For a 23 year old, with 30%NCB with JustCars = $2500 p/year!

Thats more than a GX81 twin turbo chaser!

If you want a luxo, quick, comfy car.... Chaser.
Grant
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Toyota Celsior Tue, 28 September 2004 02:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Karl, don't get too carried away with the price in Japan. Apart from the obvious GST, duty and shipping costs there are many other hidden costs that mount up. As a guide, take the price in Yen, work out an AUD price using a bank exchange rate (at present 0.75) then double it and add $1000. That will be approximate cost registered and on the road.

The other negative thing about insurance is that many mainstream insurance companies won't insure imports regardless if they are the same as the Australian equivalent.

Funny you should mention the GX81 twin turbo though as I'll have one up for sale in the next month or so.

[Updated on: Tue, 28 September 2004 02:59]

THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: Toyota Celsior Tue, 28 September 2004 04:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah grant i fully understand the 15 year import business..

a $5k FOB car would usually land uncomplied for around $7-8k once you add in service fees, shippings, import duties etc....

then compliance and rego is probably another $2-2.5k on that.

Thanks for the offer Grant, but i already have my little UZS131 on the way Wink
Grant
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Toyota Celsior Tue, 28 September 2004 04:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sorry, I wasn't trying to tell you how to suck eggs Karl but most people don't understand what cars actually cost to import.

What type of UZS131 did you get? I just bought one too (in lieu of a Celsior actually).
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: Toyota Celsior Tue, 28 September 2004 04:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah its all good mate, i knew that Very Happy Probably a good idea you said so, because yes most people dont understand!

which type.... dunno really Surprised

i just found the car i wanted, in the right colour and with a dark interior (not the tan like 90% have).

http://www.prestigemotorsport.com.au/au/stock/deta ils.asp?StockID=1876

all the "mega visual" models (with the TV) i found were either dec/jan build, ugly white, or just fucked (bad leather etc). All the white ones looked like big camrys to me, and this is the only other colour i found besides that off greyish colour which just looked bad.

If i find another one i like in a few months i might sell this one off and buy a new one. More than likely i will keep it though, i already have the air bag height controller and am looking for wheels (DISH)

What kind did you get?
Grant
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Toyota Celsior Tue, 28 September 2004 04:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hahahaha, one of those ugly white ones with tan interior BUT, it is rated 3.5 bb, has the TV and all the gadgets, fitted with 17's and a twin 2.5" system.

Try and get one in gun-metal grey. With polished rims they look cool. That was the first one I ever saw and thought 'wow'. The one I bought was the best looking one I had seen since then so I grabbed it. They also come in black with black interior but are very rare. Debadged that would look awsome.

What's your email and I'll shoot you some photos.
Danish
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: Toyota Celsior Tue, 28 September 2004 05:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Are you sure they are all air-suspension fitted, I don't think that is right.

I'm not really after a fast car anymore.
Celia-Sue
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: Toyota Celsior Tue, 28 September 2004 05:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Danish - PLEASE sell your Soarer to a worthy buyer. It really does deserve it!

There are an increasing number of JZX90's going around Perth. One of the local importers has a SECS or RAWS or whatever license and is starting to bring them in by the barrell. Expect prices will drop fast, too.

I had a drive of a near stock auto Chaser last year - what a hoot! Very Happy
Danish
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: Toyota Celsior Tue, 28 September 2004 06:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes I'll try Celia, I can't find many JZX90's in Adelaide. They are all around the $20-$30k mark if there are any.

How much does a dark coloured, JZX90 auto/manual, full options go for in Perth? Do you have the name of the importer?
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: Toyota Celsior Tue, 28 September 2004 07:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
grant,

email karl@toymods.org.au

i have thought about painting this one black, but i really should be spending that money on the Ra28!
I'll probably put my own TV in the dash, and the electrics to give the facotry TV an external AV source is well hard to work out, an the TV tuning will most likely be all off (still cool feature tho!)

Celia-Sue
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: Toyota Celsior Tue, 28 September 2004 11:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message

I'll have to find-out the name of the importer - though I do think they have some connection with C-Red Tuning.

The white auto JZX90 I rode in cost the owner around $14K.
Skip
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Toyota Celsior Tue, 28 September 2004 13:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Danish: Its just a pipe dream at the moment hehe, but if i did import one id do it through prestige motorsport again like my landcruiser.
gr8r-x
Regular

September 2004
Re: Toyota Celsior Tue, 28 September 2004 13:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just for a bit of interests sake, I found this in my mailbag...

http://www.j-spec.com.au/list/index.php?ID=1087
http://www.j-spec.com.au/list/index.php?ID=0666
http://www.j-spec.com.au/list/index.php?ID=0425
http://www.j-spec.com.au/list/index.php?ID=0417

There are more, but that's enough.. Obviously all are sold now, but they were in the $8-10k range, except the wide-body, was $24k. Very Happy

J-Spec are a great bunch, very friendly, pretty decent prices and always helpful. Let me test drive a nice R33 sedan when I was hunting around, drove it to work and everything. Impressed me a lot, can you tell? Razz
GEM13B
Occasional Poster

March 2004
Re: Toyota Celsior Wed, 29 September 2004 04:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i rekon that the jap spec celsior has a lot more features than the autralian market version.

id say these fellas would have more of an idea
http://lextreme.com/forums/index.php?
Danish
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: Toyota Celsior Wed, 29 September 2004 13:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think the best option would be to sell the car first, then write down exactly what model and options I want, then sit on the money until one comes in through J-Spec Or Prestige.

What do you think? Unless of course you can think of a better can I should buy?
peewee
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: Toyota Celsior Wed, 29 September 2004 15:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
is that c-type f-package celsior that was for sale a few months ago still floating around?? search the forums cos the guy was pretty keen to sell it, and it looked very nice
Danish
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: Toyota Celsior Thu, 30 September 2004 09:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I didn't get a reply when I posted on his thread about the Celsior for sale. I think he wants $15-$17k or something. You can pick them up for under $10k from Japan and spend only a few thousand on making it roadworthy.
gr8r-x
Regular

September 2004
Re: Toyota Celsior Thu, 30 September 2004 21:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Danish wrote on Wed, 29 September 2004 23:57

I think the best option would be to sell the car first, then write down exactly what model and options I want, then sit on the money until one comes in through J-Spec Or Prestige.

One of the good things about J-Spec, you tell them what you want, the price you want and just sit back and wait for them to find it. Smile
TUB-11Y
Regular

February 2003

Re: Toyota Celsior Sat, 02 October 2004 01:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i say JZX90 , but i am one-sided as i have one in the driveway.
gr8r-x
Regular

September 2004
Re: Toyota Celsior Tue, 05 October 2004 08:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sorry to dig up this (semi) old topic, but just got this email come through.. Excellent example, just needs a respray. Wicked car. Smile

http://www.j-spec.com.au/list/index.php?ID=1266

$8,400 inc everything except compliance and registration. Bargain!
Danish
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: Toyota Celsior Tue, 05 October 2004 08:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I saw that one too. I just want a stock one that requires nothing extra.
Maurice c
Regular

February 2004
Re: Toyota Celsior Tue, 05 October 2004 22:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I had an ls400 for a while back there and at 18mpg at the best of times it wasnt an economical proposition. Wow, I sound like a lot of fun don't I?
Danish
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: Toyota Celsior Wed, 06 October 2004 05:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
That's a lot of petty, I think mine uses more than that still!
juzzo84
Forums Junkie

September 2002
Re: Toyota Celsior Wed, 06 October 2004 17:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
supra man has a nice one of these for sale at the moment, i went for a ride in it the other day!!! lots of features!!! Very Happy
Danish
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: Toyota Celsior Thu, 07 October 2004 08:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It was sold unfortunately!
Dust
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: Toyota Celsior Thu, 07 October 2004 09:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I am interested in buyin one of these too, havent been able to find anything negative about them yet, anyone got any advice to offer?
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: Toyota Celsior Thu, 07 October 2004 13:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
insurance for a celsior is up de ass!

call some insurance companies and ask!
Danish
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: Toyota Celsior Thu, 07 October 2004 15:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I only have 3rd party property, fire and theft on my Soarer anyway. But for my next car I'd like some comprehensive.
Dust
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: Toyota Celsior Fri, 08 October 2004 11:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
THE WITZL wrote on Thu, 07 October 2004 23:48

insurance for a celsior is up de ass!

How "up de ass" are we talking? surely it couldnt be worse then paying what I we currently pay on our 95 celica, just coz its got 2 doors, means it must go faster :/

Just did one on suncorps online quote thingy for a 1990 LS400, full comp rating 1

$693 a year.

[Updated on: Fri, 08 October 2004 11:54]

THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: Toyota Celsior Sat, 09 October 2004 01:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
no no no! they WONT insure it as an LS400, only as a Celsior!

Just cars for me, with 30%NCB in sydney
# Celsior = $2500p.a, $1600 excess, extra $1000 excess if stolen
# UZS131 crown = $1400p.a, $1400 excess, no catches
# Chaser GX81 twin turbo = $1800p.a, $1500 excess, bonus $800 if stolen

Thats up da ass!

I'm yet to see what Vigil is like, been recomended them by a few people for imports/modified.
IRA11Y
Forums Junkie

Club Member

May 2002

Re: Toyota Celsior Sun, 10 October 2004 03:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Actually theres a celsior that a friend of mine just got in this last month.. it ran a mid 15 at the WSID last week, he loves it, its immaculate and allready came with a full suspension kit, theyre a beautiful car... wish i had the money to get one Smile , Im sure hell be posting it up in the members section before too long.
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: Toyota Celsior Sun, 10 October 2004 05:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bastard - i soooo wanted a Celsior, but i just couldnt justify the insurance costs and extra purchase price over the UZS131.

I'll also be running mine down WSID as soon as its on the road Wink
Dust
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: Toyota Celsior Mon, 11 October 2004 00:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I guess third party fire/theft couldnt be too bad.
I have left it with an insurance broker, they going to get back to me with prices.

I am doing a bit of research on importing one and there are a few horror stories out there, alot of people just say to find one in Aus thats already registered and buy that. Problem is they arent that common.

The 2 main places to import one through seem to be J-Spec and Prestige motorsport, having no previous dealings with either of them I really dont know who to go through.

Can anyone offer advice on the subject? personal experiences with either one, etc.

Also if anyone knows where i could see a Celsior int he flesh in S.E. Qld, let me know please Smile

Cheers

Dust
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: Toyota Celsior Mon, 11 October 2004 01:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if you want to deal with someone with a bit more personal service, and located in brissy, contact John at Importbitz.

http://www.importbitz.com.au

He can search thru Jahoo japan auctions and recommend a few cars, but doesnt have the whole "yard" to pick from, so his service charge is a lot lower than j spec or presitge. Drop him an email, he is pretty helpful.
ChuckLandwehr
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Toyota Celsior Mon, 11 October 2004 04:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I know they are not the same "C" spec as the Celsior, but some of the locally delivered early LS 400's are available for around 12K! Most will have a fairly comprehensive service record. Food for thouhgt maybe!

regards Chuck.
Alainve
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: Toyota Celsior Wed, 08 December 2004 07:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i know this is an old thread but im just about to pick up my next car... a 1989 celsior in gunmetal grey with polished Lexus 17's Very Happy
just to clarify some things said in this thread. not all had air suspension the sportier ones had coilssprings with TEMS like mine and the poverty pack ones had just coils like the aus LS400.

also insurance is pricy but it is cheaper than an aus LS400 cos they cant insure it for as much
also im getting mine for under $13K with a couple of months rego left
sleepermx83
Regular

November 2004
Re: Toyota Celsior Tue, 14 December 2004 12:29 Go to previous message
does anyone know what the go is with importing from nz.you can buy a toyota windum (i think thats its called)for under $4000.and the same car is a lsxus here worth $20-$26.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:RT142 Diff options
Next Topic:Cressida (7MGE) Tacho with 1GGTE
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 20:40:21 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0081520080566406 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.